BAND:QUICKSAND

Postby newcopcar on Wed May 26, 2004 6:25 pm

well?
newcopcar
fletcher rabbit
fletcher rabbit

Postby TheMilford on Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:11 pm

J.B,

I felt bad nobody has responded to this so I thought I should comment...

Quicksand... Not Crap.

Only because Walter is a swell guy. A few years back I went on a scavenger hunt in NYC for my friend's birthday. On my team was Walter and a girl whom I was on an un-official first date with. This girl (my current live-in girlfriend) was very impressed with Walter and even asked our other friends that day if he was "available". She was instructed by my friend Tara to "get in line" as he is quite a charming and attractive man as well as a rock star. When we got to the part of the hunt we're we needed a picture of a celebrity Walter begrudgingly obliged after much prodding. What a nice guy.

...and I got the girl in the end!

-David
Last edited by TheMilford on Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheMilford
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Not too bad

Postby chet on Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:39 pm

I know this band had some hits and misses in the past, but I was driving today earlier listening to "Dine Alone" and I forgot how much I liked them. They're not that bad.

I say Not Crap!
chet
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby horsewhip on Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:24 pm

Not Crap, not great, but def. not crap. They had some pretty killer riffs that rivaled Helmet's.
horsewhip
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby Champion Rabbit on Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:37 am

CRAP.

:WF: low

I noticed a guy with a Rival Schools t-shirt on today on the train to work and it reminded me of the baffling popularity of Rival Schools/Quicksand.

Both seem(ed) like MTV Fugazi and both were CRAP.
Going down the only road I've ever known.
Champion Rabbit
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby Lazybones on Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:37 am

I saw them in something like 1992 or '93 at 1st Ave. They were all right from what I remember, but then again I was probably 16 at the time. Many things that seemed all right when I was 16 turned out to be, uh, fucking stupid.

I'll say not crap, based on the fact that they might have been all right.
Lazybones
"kick a ginger day" victim
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby ironyengine on Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:24 am

I really like the sound of Manic Compression. The songs aren't bad either. Good enough for me.
I never thought I'd recover from the trouble that Youtube put me through...
ironyengine
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby kielinski on Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:51 am

Slip is a great album. Manic Compression not as much. Seeing them at City Gardens in Trenton, NJ (93?) is still one of my favorite shows. Not Crap.
kielinski
junkballer
junkballer

Postby Major Major on Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:04 pm

NOT CRAP

Slip is a very good album while Manic Compression sounds like it was mixed at the bottom of a metal trash can. It's sad because I enjoy the songs on MC but the mix is terrible. Seen 'em live quite a few times and they always played their best.

Also, Walter is indeed a very nice guy.

Now all the apres-quicksand bands I'm not so sure about.
Major Major
seminarian
seminarian

there was that one good 7"

Postby sierackir on Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:01 pm

Their albums were total crap but I abstain because that first 7" with Omission & Clean Slate & Unfulfilled had incredible energy, kinda like a good Bad Brains record, but okay, not that good. Most of what they put out was so uninspiring it's nearly unbelievable they could've done a 7" so (youthfully) perfect, but they did it.

Basically, they're crap, but I'm sentimental.
sierackir
monsignior
monsignior

Postby Gramsci on Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:42 am

Not crap, but I must admit it sound's a little dated now.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby dave76 on Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:31 pm

Slip is awesome. Certainly influenced by Fugazi and Helmet, but great nonetheless. Manic Compression lost me. Not nearly as good.

I can vouch that Walter was not the only nice guy in the band. Worked with Tom on the first Shelter project. Seemed like a nice guy too.
Dave
dave76
novitiate
novitiate

Postby robert thefamilyghost on Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:19 pm

hm...i loved these guys back in high school...i've long since sold those albums...if i were to hear them again i probably wouldn't HATE it...perhaps it's just nostalgia but i'm finding it hard to go one way or the other on this one...
robert thefamilyghost
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby Bernardo on Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:41 pm

I thought I was alone in hating the Manic Compresssion drum sound. Whoever said MTV Fugazi, I agree with that, but I really like Slip. I think the strongest aspect of the band, that's never talked about, is the vocal parts, they're done in a manner that makes the song move forward, complex stuff, in a good way.

But they were pretty much a pop band, which is no demerit, IMO.

Rival Schools I couldn't get into.
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby agent202 on Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:58 am

not so crap!
every morning, all day i put myself away...
agent202
doyle brunson
doyle brunson

Postby Chapter Two on Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:09 am

Quicksand were a great band. They were an important thing to happen to hardcore. They were an important thing to happen to ex-members of Youth of Today and Gorrilla Biscuits. They had a guitarist who used to be a satanist and instead of becoming a dodgy metaller he bacame an evil guitarist in a brilliant post-hardcore band. He also lived in a big room with nothing in it but a bed which I thought was cool. So zen monks can be in rock bands too. A Ron Jeremy lookalike stole their 7" from my house. I bought it again on cd this time. Slip is one of the most important records of my life. Every lyric on there was written for me in my twenties. Manic Compression is a bit annoying in it's nowhere-near-as-good-as-Slip-ness. They got back together for a while, but didn't release anything, though an ex-member of Ivor Dobsky's old band had some stuff on a copied cd from somewhere which I never heard. I have not listened to Rival Schools as I saw a video on television once and thought little of it. I saw Quicksand in Bradford once on the day that the singer from Skrewdriver died. Walter said he didn't like to celebrate anyone dying but that guy was a fucking arsehole. We all cheered. Tom from Nomeansno was their tour manager. I like the cover of How Soon Is Now. I miss Quicksand.

One of my favourite bands ever.

Not Crap.
Chapter Two
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby diego on Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:55 am

Quicksand reminds me of a good period of my life.

When Slip came out, they played in Zürich. I went with a good friend of mine to see them, lied to our parents because we were really young to go to a gig by ourselves, especially because Zurich was a 4 hours ride by train. We got there, enjoyed the show, I remember it was fantastic and mixed with that feeling we were doing something "bad"....
At the end of the show, we chatted with the bass player Sergio Vega and he pulled out a big piece of hash out of his pocket. We were about to do something really bad there. Anyway, my friend and I smoked some of that hash in a pipe with him. Man, that was something really cool to do being 14!!!!!
Then, we left the venue and walked around the city all night, being really stoned and took the first train in the morning.....

Good memory and he was a nice guy too!!!!

Thank you Quicksand and Slip is still one of my favourite albums.
diego
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby Ty Webb on Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:03 am

Slip is a fantastic album and still gets regular play in my house. MTV Fugazi?! No, no, no. Not slick, not pretty, and not diluted. Quicksand, quite simply, rocked and did it noisily and passionately.

NOT CRAP and hold the waffles
Clueless in Chicago wrote:I'm going to stop following this thread. A bunch of D&D geeks in a basement somewhere in Oklahomma with their nuts tied around their thighs...
Ty Webb
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby MantaRay on Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:59 am

Ty Webb wrote:Slip is a fantastic album and still gets regular play in my house. MTV Fugazi?! No, no, no. Not slick, not pretty, and not diluted. Quicksand, quite simply, rocked and did it noisily and passionately.

NOT CRAP and hold the waffles

what he said ^^

i still break out Slip every couple of months.. great record.

not cRaP
MantaRay
cecil bill
cecil bill

Re: BAND:QUICKSAND

Postby SpaceCadet on Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:11 pm

Man, Quicksand is NOT CRAP. Sure, they sound dated, but Slip is one hell of an album packed with great riffs.
SpaceCadet
piece of shit
piece of shit

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap