BAND:QUICKSAND

CRAP
12%
NOT CRAP
88%

Total votes : 60

Re: BAND:QUICKSAND

Postby Bernardo on Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:19 am

I wouldn't call Quicksand "emo" any more than I'd call Helmet "nu-metal", but "MTV Fugazi", yes.
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Boombats on Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:39 am

jakethesnake wrote:
HOUSTON_M wrote:
I listened to both Slip and Helmet's Meantime today and I found that I still love both but I wouldn't say that Quicksand were the better band.

I didn't listen to Manic Compression but I remember it sounding more like the Deftones and Tool than Helmet and Fugazi.

I'd personally say that both "Meantime" *and* "Strap it on" were better than Quicksand. In their prime, Helmet's aesthetic was so pure and dry that everyone else doing something similar with more "flair" or melody or whatever sounded watered down to me. I dug Quicksand at the time but their emo-esque tendencies and certain post-grunge qualities has not held up as well to me as Helmet has.

You guys are huffing each other's Jenkem
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby Tommy on Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:30 pm

Slip is great. I listen to it fairly regularly. MC lost me. Sounds like they bought some triple rectifiers.
Tommy
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Boombats on Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:40 pm

They're playing Manhattan and Brooklyn at the end of the month. BK is sold out and Manhattan is 80 fucking bucks plus fees! Is that normal? I never go to shows but I'd go to that if it wasn't so much money. Fuck
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby numberthirty on Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:43 pm

Boombats wrote:They're playing Manhattan and Brooklyn at the end of the month. BK is sold out and Manhattan is 80 fucking bucks plus fees! Is that normal? I never go to shows but I'd go to that if it wasn't so much money. Fuck

numberthirty wrote:Wait, what?

Edit: Damn, thirty bucks?
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Boombats on Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:03 pm

numberthirty wrote:
Boombats wrote:They're playing Manhattan and Brooklyn at the end of the month. BK is sold out and Manhattan is 80 fucking bucks plus fees! Is that normal? I never go to shows but I'd go to that if it wasn't so much money. Fuck

numberthirty wrote:Wait, what?

Edit: Damn, thirty bucks?

What's thirty bucks, the fees? I see $93.42 as the total price for one standing room ticket. VIP is sold out
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby numberthirty on Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:11 pm

Nope.

The venue was across the street from Wrigley Field. Five years ago, it was thirty before fees/whatever. I know the pair of venues larger than that one are starting at forty or fifty bucks before you tack on fees/whatever.
numberthirty

Postby numberthirty on Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:14 pm

That said, it was almost worth it. They were totally solid.
numberthirty

Postby Boombats on Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:19 pm

I bet this price is worth it too, in that I doubt I'll have many/any other chances to see them. But still, I could do a lot with the >100 beans that the tickets and travel would cost me.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby M.H on Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:34 pm

They just scrape a N.C vote from me. They had the chops but very little imagination; a textbook case of Tasteful Influence syndrome. ("If we want to be seen as hip / respectable / intelligent then we need to play like this with a bit of this and sprinkle of this...")

A bummer, especially as Gorilla Biscuits already possessed a coherently kinetic and melodic edge that the NYHC / Youth Crew sorely lacked. To take a step towards a post-hardcore vibe (instead of a metallic crossover thing like the rest of their scene) was cool, but it all exists on an axis between Helmet and Fugazi and never quite developed into its own unique sound.

Slip hits more than it misses, but Manic Compression is mostly disappointing. What an oddly forgettable record.

Still, the good stuff is good enough. The Smiths cover is one of the stronger things they ever did, worth a listen if you're unfamiliar.

phpBB [media]
M.H
jose raul capablanca
jose raul capablanca

Postby Gramsci on Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:41 pm

phpBB [media]

First new record in 20+ years... pretty good.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Bernardo on Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:09 pm

Haven't bothered with the new record yet, but I gave Manic Compression the first listen in years hoping the adjusted expectations would help me enjoy it more, no dice. Still hate the recording and could not make it through the entire thing.

Slip is strong enough for a N/C, though.
Bernardo

Postby oZZma on Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:52 pm

Re-listened to MC after like... 20 years I think
That awkward moment when you realize that back then you listened to a huge pile of CRAP :shock: :lol:
vade retro Santana
oZZma
chapman stick
chapman stick

Postby Tommy on Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:31 pm

3 years on and I'm still strongly in this camp:

Slip is awesome. Manic Compression is not awesome.
Tommy
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap