Voivod

Crap
15%
Not Crap
85%

Total votes : 86

Voivod

Postby toomanyhelicopters on Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:36 pm

not a tough call for me. granted, the stuff after nothingface was kinda dismal, though i still enjoyed some of it... but i'm gonna vote based more on their first four albums than the next four. they were my favorite band for many years. NOT CRAP.
toomanyhelicopters
priss

Postby placeholder on Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:05 pm

Sci-fi/fantasy metal. CRAP.
Last edited by placeholder on Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
placeholder
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby horsewhip on Thu Jun 03, 2004 5:38 pm

"Nothingface" and "Dimension Hatross" are very NOT CRAP. I guess "Killing Technology" is okay, too. However, on the whole Voivod is crap. Sorry.
horsewhip
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby Dylan on Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:17 am

While I like Nothingface a lot, it's still not that good. I wouldn't make it a deser island disc or anything. Unfortunately, that's their best in my opinion, so I'm gonna have to go with DELETED, I mean CRAP.
Dylan
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby chad on Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:21 am

everything up and through dimension hatross are some of my favorite metal records. thank god i saw them back then.
since then, largely crap with a few smatterings of goodness. i got really bummed out when i saw them open for sepultura a year or so ago. what a bunch of shit that was. because of that, this is a hard decision, but not crap. even through all the shit speckles they currently bear.
chad
curler
curler

Postby tmidgett on Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:26 am

a very funny band up through about nothingface

voivod not crap
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God

The Voivod is SO NOT Crap

Postby TheMilford on Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:16 pm

War and Pain: best fucking speed metal ever.

Killing Technology: Just excellent in that twisted backache sorta way.

dimension hatross: wonderful and weird.

Go out and find these records! I COMMAND YOU!

IRON GANG FOREVER!!!
-David
TheMilford
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Swat on Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:26 pm

But did you ever TALK to them? I think that I met them around the nothingface era... Man, they could barely speak english! (at least piggy and snake) I could be mistaken about this, but the conversation was brought down to the caveman stage with grunts and staring at my friends ample breasts. All this being said, she didn't mind and I really didn't mind nothingface and angel rat. The old metal stuff was pretty funny though... The video for ravinous medicine was classic! Not pooh.

The new stuff makes me embarassed for them.
Swat
pom pom
pom pom

Postby same on Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:13 pm

there was a time in my life when i was a big voivod fan. definately NOT CRAP. but as far as seminal metal bands that start with the letter v are concerned, i'm gonna have to go with venom.
same
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby toomanyhelicopters on Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:40 pm

just got the new 3-disc reissue of War and Pain, has a bunch of live concert performances from way back when. i'm liking it quite a bit.
LVP wrote:If, say, 10% of lions tried to kill gazelles, compared with 10% of savannah animals in general, I think that gazelle would be a lousy racist jerk.
toomanyhelicopters
priss

Postby Red Crystal on Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:31 pm

I loved this band when I was a teenager. The best album they did was "Killing Technology". And the best song on that album was "Order of the Blackguards". That album was sort of the apex of their musical journey from thrash metal to techno prog. The last album of theirs I bought was "Nothingface". I don't know what happened to them after that, though I heard they went in a death metal direction.

I was sorry to hear of the death of Piggy a while ago.
Red Crystal
convert
convert

Postby scott on Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:26 am

Here is a link that is only intended for people who are already well-familiar with Voivod, and know what they do and don't like about the band.

I died of horror and laughter when I came across this video this weekend. It's for one of the songs on Killing Technology, which puts it sometime right about 20 years old, this year.

The video for Astronomy Domine is much cooler.

I heard they had done a video for Tribal Convictions, though I dunno if that was just pure mistake or what... somewhere I have a VHS tape of an episode of Headbanger's Ball where Rikki Rachtman says something like, "here's a video from the band Voivod, for their song Tribunal Convictions". But then they play the video for Astronomy Domine.

That's actually what got me into Voivod in the first place, I think. That song.

The video for "Clouds In My House" (off Angel Rat) was about as dorky as the one for Ravenous Medecine, but not because of its innocence and lo-fi-ness, but more because it was their most wussy period ever.

Oh man, have I been listening to Voivod's Greatest Hits (on cassette) like crazy when I drive! It's been my driving music for a good while now. I would actually recommend that album to anybody who doesn't know Voivod's music but is curious. It does a good job spanning the very wide arc of their first 6 albums. It's not all "best songs" caliber stuff, but it *does* have some of my favorites. Highly recommended to the curious.

Red Crystal, after Nothingface, they did the following:

Angel Rat : Uber-wussy almost poppy, totally non-metal. Last album with original lineup.

The Outer Limits : More classic rock/prog, retro thing. "Session" bass player. Last album with original singer.

Negatron : Somewhere between Nu-Metal and Death Metal. New bassist/singer likes to shout. First album with serious shouting since Killing Technology.

Phobos : More of the Negatron style.

Serious tour accident leaves that new bassist/singer unable to continue on in the band.

Voivod : Return of the original singer, and a new bassist, Jason Newsted. I would put it somewhere along the lines of Outer Limits, as far as the tone of it. In short, not anything like the madness you'd find on RRROOOAAARRR, Killing Techonology, or even Dimension Hatross. Lots of singing and an almost classic-rock feel.
scott
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby second to last on Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:09 pm

Swat wrote:But did you ever TALK to them? I think that I met them around the nothingface era... Man, they could barely speak english! (at least piggy and snake) I could be mistaken about this, but the conversation was brought down to the caveman stage with grunts and staring at my friends ample breasts.

I met them in early 1990 when they toured for Nothingface too, and no, they didn't speak English very well. I don't recall them (in my case it was Piggy and Blackie) staring at my breasts, which were ample, if you consider a D cup on a 5'5", 120 pound 18-year-old girl "ample." Perhaps I was able to distract them a bit more by the fact I could speak some French. Either that, or I wasn't paying close enough attention to where their eyes fell. I wouldn't have cared if they had.

I thought they came across as fairly decent guys, although they did seem shy and probably intimidated by being in Texas. They acted rather surprised when I walked up to them and asked them if they's prefer if I spoke in French. They didn't get a very good reception at that show (over half the audience walked out during their first song). But they seemed rather unbothered by that and appeared genuinely appreciative that some people stayed.
second to last
judge
judge

Postby full point on Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:04 pm

second to last wrote:
I met them in early 1990 when they toured for Nothingface too, and no, they didn't speak English very well. I don't recall them (in my case it was Piggy and Blackie) staring at my breasts, which were ample, if you consider a D cup on a 5'5", 120 pound 18-year-old girl "ample." Perhaps I was able to distract them a bit more by the fact I could speak some French. Either that, or I wasn't paying close enough attention to where their eyes fell. I wouldn't have cared if they had.

Should I keep my spankerchief folded or balled?

(Sorry, StL. You set yourself up.)
:spade: :spade:
full point
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy

Postby fiery jack on Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:20 pm

scott wrote:I heard they had done a video for Tribal Convictions, though I dunno if that was just pure mistake or what...

Tribal Convictions

it's not a bad video, or at least I thought so at the time, and the song is aces
fiery jack
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby scott on Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:04 pm

fiery jack wrote:
scott wrote:I heard they had done a video for Tribal Convictions, though I dunno if that was just pure mistake or what...

Tribal Convictions

it's not a bad video, or at least I thought so at the time, and the song is aces

Wow, thanks! I'm a bit bummed about the video and audio quality on both this one and the other one Yahoo has (Psychic Vaccuum). It's a shame they're not more hi-fi. But nice to see these two videos I've never seen before.

Actually, you got me to thinking, and I just checked out the Voivod website to see if they had any of these... there actually are links to download gigantic high-quality versions of some of the videos.

And they also have THIS, a DVD they released with all of these videos and a bunch of live videos too. For $14.95!??! I already ordered it.
scott
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Plantweed on Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:15 am

First two albums are a weird, rusty melange of Venom and Motorhead.

Killing Technology and Dimension Hatross are masterpieces.

Nothingface and Outer Limits are bland.

Angel Rat is a decent pop/prog record.

They had a video for Psychic Vacuum, it was very homemade-looking.

Piggy was one of the greatest guitar players, EVER.
Plantweed
bocce bowler
bocce bowler

Postby trilonaut on Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:32 pm

piggy writes some damn cool riffs, but his solos are kind of generic blues metal.
trilonaut
the white ho
the white ho

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:26 am

I bought Angel Rat on a used cassette for about $2. It wasn't worth it. CRAP.
caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
emmanuelle cunt
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Marsupialized on Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:56 am

second to last wrote: I don't recall them (in my case it was Piggy and Blackie) staring at my breasts, which were ample, if you consider a D cup on a 5'5", 120 pound 18-year-old girl "ample"

pics?
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap