Voivod

Crap
15%
Not Crap
85%

Total votes : 86

Re: Voivod

Postby scott on Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:08 pm

BobbyPeru wrote:Also I don't think Voivod fans are Tool or Devin Townsend fans. I'm not sure what records you listened to.. but Killing Technology, Dimension Hatross, and Nothingface are all classic records.

I can't speak for everyone, but you have accurately captured me here. And my friends that I know love Voivod, I've never known them to be fans of Tool except back in '93, and Devin I've never heard anyone even talk about, ever, except when I was YouTube-wormhole'ing Dethklok a couple years back.
May the wings of Liberty never lose a feather
first show - last show
scott
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby prowler on Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:46 am

Mick Shrimpton wrote: For sci-fi/prog/cyber-metal, I'll take Young Gods, Gojira or even Fear Factory over Voivod.

this list shows that you didn't really "get" voivod. with the possible exception of the Forrest era, voivod's cyber-metal isn't a battle mech stomping your head in, it's more of a spiky war shuttle warp-jumping through space to unpredictable destinations :) i dig some Gojira but they're a pretty different beast
prowler
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby M.H on Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:39 am

Mick Shrimpton wrote:I suspect their fanbase overlaps too much with Tool and Devin Townshend for my tastes. I still don't understand why they're so beloved.

Yeah, they're all geek-metal archetypes. 'Thinking man's metal'. Shudder.

Voivod are a distinctive sounding band, but their initially interesting music becomes frustratingly uncoordinated and dumb over the course of a whole album.

A reluctant crap.
M.H
kofi annan
kofi annan

Postby noise&light on Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:08 pm

scott wrote:
BobbyPeru wrote:Also I don't think Voivod fans are Tool or Devin Townsend fans. I'm not sure what records you listened to.. but Killing Technology, Dimension Hatross, and Nothingface are all classic records.

I can't speak for everyone, but you have accurately captured me here. And my friends that I know love Voivod, I've never known them to be fans of Tool except back in '93, and Devin I've never heard anyone even talk about, ever, except when I was YouTube-wormhole'ing Dethklok a couple years back.

Thirded.

I wish that Voivod was touring with Testament and Death Angel opening up. But that's just me.
There's no reason
To feel all the hard times
To lay down the hard lines
It's absolutely true
noise&light
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby numberthirty on Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:07 pm

How do you define "Fan"? I won't turn off Tool or Devin Townsend if they come on, but I don't consider myself a real "fan".
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby prowler on Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:03 am

finally got around to hearing the new EP, and it's very good. the new bass player is not crap at all
prowler

Postby prowler on Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:33 am

yessssssssss
phpBB [media]
prowler

Postby jimnash100 on Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:43 pm

Totally not crap for Killing Technology, Dimension Hatross, Nothingface, return to form with Target Earth, Post Society. You know David Pajo is a fan, wore a Voivod shirt at the Slint ATP show:

There's probably a joint-Die Kruezen influence, but I always thought a few of the Jesus Lizard guitar riffs and bass parts, even drums, at least on one or two or three songs were very similar to specific Voivod songs that had come earlier, I wonder if they were ever fans at all...
jimnash100

Postby Bernardo on Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:22 am

It's great when an album clicks, I'm finally all over Dimension Hatross right now. I think it barely registers as metal for me, it's more like some very personal version of hard rock. The combination of the singing and the guitars place them in a totally idiosyncratic spot. Still haven't made my way back earlier than ...Hatross, I'm familiar with Nothingface and Angel Rat, and enjoy both.

Btw, Angel Rat is NOT cock rock at all.
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby HarryStockings on Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:25 pm

not crap. at least not the first four. always liked the weird riffs. not a connoiseur again but in my mind the family tree of those riffs/chords would go somethimg like this: mx90 sound->kreuzen->voivod->nocturnus->maybe discordance axis?...of course with more metal influence kicking in with voivod in 86.
HarryStockings
convert
convert

Postby Bernardo on Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:21 am

I can totally hear this being played in the style of The Jesus Lizard.

phpBB [media]
Bernardo

Postby Dave N. on Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:52 pm

Bernardo wrote:I can totally hear this being played in the style of The Jesus Lizard.

Totally. Easy to imagine Yow singing.

This got me listening to Dimension Hatross again. The last minute of "Tribal Convictions" always gives me the chills. The guitar vibrato, the "Who's God? Who's dog?" and that ascending thing the guitar and bass do at the very end. What a whirlwind of a song.

phpBB [media]
Dave N.
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby Madman Munt on Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:55 pm

Killing Technology and Dimension Hatröss are the sweet spots for me. I think these records are emerging as totally great and timeless.

Unique band.
Madman Munt
amir vahedi
amir vahedi

Postby noiro on Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:56 am

scott wrote:Mind = blown. A member of Voivod a member of this forum since 8 years ago.

I know this is a very very old post, but yes, you were right it was me! funny tho about Noiro spell backward is Orion, never thought about it! Unfortunately for some I'm no longer in Voivod, but for me it's much better that way. Too much tension. I'm still doing music, like the project "Coeur Atomique"
noiro
troll
troll

Postby biscuitdough on Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:58 am

Voivod are the only good "technical" metal that I have ever liked. Devin Townsend, Meshuggah, Gojira etc are all infantile and superficial. Voivod actually concerned themselves with music, above showmanship and mathematics.
biscuitdough
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby numberthirty on Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:57 pm

noiro wrote:
scott wrote:Mind = blown. A member of Voivod a member of this forum since 8 years ago.

I know this is a very very old post, but yes, you were right it was me! funny tho about Noiro spell backward is Orion, never thought about it! Unfortunately for some I'm no longer in Voivod, but for me it's much better that way. Too much tension. I'm still doing music, like the project "Coeur Atomique"

While it's great if it's what is best for you, it's more like "Unfortunately for everyone on the planet Earth..."

Thanks for the heads up on Coeur Atomique.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Dave N. on Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:19 pm

Hey Blackie, this Coeur Atomique album is great. Do you perform this stuff live, or is this strictly a recording project?
Dave N.

Postby Bernardo on Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:16 pm

biscuitdough wrote:Voivod are the only good "technical" metal that I have ever liked. Devin Townsend, Meshuggah, Gojira etc are all infantile and superficial. Voivod actually concerned themselves with music, above showmanship and mathematics.

You're way off, and I don't really see where Devin Townsend fits here.

There are plenty of metal bands who are regularly described as "technical" who bring a lot of music (and rock) to the table.
Bernardo

Postby biscuitdough on Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:41 pm

Tool, Heavy Devvy, Rush, Decapitated, Meshuggah, Gojira, Necrophagist, Dark Angel - they don't all sound the same, but they all suffer from the same thing. The technical achievements are bolted on and detract from the music rather than adding to it.

Oh, I did remember another technical band that I like: Atheist. I'm not made of stone.
biscuitdough

Postby Boombats on Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:02 am

I just can't get into them. Bad tone, awkward riffs, aimless song structure, doofy vocals.
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap