Voivod

Crap
15%
Not Crap
85%

Total votes : 86

Re: Voivod

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:45 am

biscuitdough wrote:Voivod are the only good "technical" metal that I have ever liked. Devin Townsend, Meshuggah, Gojira etc are all infantile and superficial. Voivod actually concerned themselves with music, above showmanship and mathematics.

I'd put Cynic's Focus on any list of 'technical' metal that really works. Recommended if it passed you by at the time.
maintain a healthy foe list
A_Man_Who_Tries
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby El Protoolio on Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:59 am

Voivod will be on tour with Yob so I guess I will finally see and hear Voivod. I'll vote after the show.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:45 pm

El Protoolio wrote:Voivod will be on tour with Yob so I guess I will finally see and hear Voivod. I'll vote after the show.

Great bill that. Haven't seen Voivod in a very long time. They played with Today is the Day and Neurosis that night, which was a brilliant night.
A_Man_Who_Tries
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby numberthirty on Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:46 pm

El Protoolio wrote:Voivod will be on tour with Yob so I guess I will finally see and hear Voivod. I'll vote after the show.

That's like voting on Guns N Roses after seeing them on tour for Chinese Democracy.

:smt017
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby El Protoolio on Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:10 pm

Yeah well, you gotta take do what you can.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby jakethesnake on Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:37 am

Not crap but this is a band that has changed thir style so radically and many times over the years with mixed results which makes it harrd for me to say that I like Voivod as a whole; several of their records are not good at all. Even their first two albums-which tend to be grouped together-sound very different from each other. Anyway, my personal favourites are "Killing Technology" and "Dimension Hatröss" (both GREAT!); debut is cool as well and I guess "Nothingface" has its moments even if I find it somewhat overrated. The rest I don't particularly care for...
jakethesnake
crate
crate

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:50 am

jakethesnake wrote:Not crap but this is a band that has changed thir style so radically and many times over the years with mixed results which makes it harrd for me to say that I like Voivod as a whole; several of their records are not good at all. Even their first two albums-which tend to be grouped together-sound very different from each other. Anyway, my personal favourites are "Killing Technology" and "Dimension Hatröss" (both GREAT!); debut is cool as well and I guess "Nothingface" has its moments even if I find it somewhat overrated. The rest I don't particularly care for...

I agree with this, but one thing I'd give Voivod over so many others is that they have never looked to be chasing anything beyond their own muse. Even the stuff that has left me cold hasn't felt like a cashgrab or a calculated push for some kind of mainstream.
A_Man_Who_Tries
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby noise&light on Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:44 pm

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote:
jakethesnake wrote:Not crap but this is a band that has changed thir style so radically and many times over the years with mixed results which makes it harrd for me to say that I like Voivod as a whole; several of their records are not good at all. Even their first two albums-which tend to be grouped together-sound very different from each other. Anyway, my personal favourites are "Killing Technology" and "Dimension Hatröss" (both GREAT!); debut is cool as well and I guess "Nothingface" has its moments even if I find it somewhat overrated. The rest I don't particularly care for...

I agree with this, but one thing I'd give Voivod over so many others is that they have never looked to be chasing anything beyond their own muse. Even the stuff that has left me cold hasn't felt like a cashgrab or a calculated push for some kind of mainstream.

That is 100% true!

I remember being a huge fan of them in the late 80's when they toured with Testament. Used to think that Tribal Convictions was their Death Valley 69. And at the time they appealed to most metal heads that I knew. One of them had mentioned in interviews that he was getting into Pink Floyd. Not really the coolest thing you could say. Then "Nothingface" came out and, while it was not at all my favorite, I was impressed that they followed this pursuit into their own thing.

I honestly don't know if I'd go see them again, especially since I got to see them when Piggy, Blackie, Snake and Away were all alive and playing. So, it seems pretty unfair to judge them now against what they used to be.
There's no reason
To feel all the hard times
To lay down the hard lines
It's absolutely true
noise&light
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Dave N. on Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:02 pm

If Blackie isn’t with them, I’m not interested in the current line-up’s live show. I’d totally go see Coeur Atomique, though.
Dave N.
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby prowler on Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:10 pm

Blacky is great but the new guy is perfectly fine too. I mean cmon, if you can get over Piggy not being there anymore...
prowler
"kick a ginger day" victim
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby Bernardo on Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:17 pm

ugly metal overkill
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap