Crap
15%
Not Crap
85%

Total votes : 86

Re: Voivod

Postby numberthirty on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:08 pm

phpBB [media]
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby scott on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:38 pm

numberthirty wrote:
phpBB [media]

That's so obviously staged. That guy'll say anything to look cool!

Watching that video made me feel a little lame by comparison-- he was gettin all hepped up on reefer and hearing RRROOOAAARRR first, from his buddy who had just seen them live and was blown away... I was eating jewel frozen pizza, drinkin pop, watching the episode of Headbanger's Ball when they premiered Astronomy Domine. Adam Curry introduced it as Tribunal (sic) Convictions, got the name wrong, and it's not not even on the same album.

But that was the first time we heard Voivod, and kinda like Grohl was saying, though, it was like, what the fuck is this?? And then after picking up Hatross, from then on they've always been one of my favorite bands, many years they were unchallenged #1. And I have nobody to thank for it except MTV?

Your buddy who just saw em live and was blown away, mid 80's, versus Adam Curry not even knowing what song it was, three albums later. This round goes to you, FMDG
May the wings of Liberty never lose a feather
first show - last show
scott
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby prowler on Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:15 am

awesome scott!

so is everything in standard tuning? I think Newstead used to say in interviews after Piggy's death that he had all these fucked up tunings but it's possible he was talking out of his ass. on the other hand i vaguely remember one of the others saying it was all standard, it was just the chord shapes that were special.

the only Voivod tune i've ever attempted was The Unknown Knows; that one used to work fairly well in standard.
prowler
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby scott on Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:35 pm

All songs on KT and DH are standard tuning (guitar and bass) except that instead of being tuned to A=440 they are tuned to A=435

Edit: the mailman just threw the box with the Blower Box in it onto my porch. I'll for sure fire that sucker up tonight. :)
first show - last show
scott
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby scott on Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:22 pm

Got a battery in it and snapped a quick pic, the Rusty Box in there for size comparison. This Blower Box is from a special first edition, if you watch the videos and look at pics and stuff, the enclosure they use now is smaller, controls are positioned differently, graphics are different. And they're not autographed, I wouldn't think he's gonna do that again, impression I got is that it was just for the launch.

The date inside my pedal is 10-13, so it took a little over 4 months, and most of that was waiting on the Voivod dudes to sign em. I'm glad they did. I've never gotten anyone to autograph anything except for friends, as a stupid joke. But here, I'm glad that's how they did it. The thing is a work of art. Makes it even cooler, for me, knowing that this pedal was with them, these guys that I used to have posters, and pics cut out of magazines, up on my wall when I was a kid.

Jeez, yap yap yap. I gotta go plug this thing in

first show - last show
scott
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby prowler on Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:29 am

sweet :)
prowler

Postby scott on Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:54 pm

Finally got around to trying out the Blower Box. It's fucking great! Controls are a very usable bass and treble (one knob each), a distortion knob (middle one on the front) and an output volume on the top of the chassis, not the front face. Was able to dial in a setting that sounds ridiculously huge through my Hot Rod DeVille, so I can only imagine what a big amp would do with it. Foundation rumbling lows for sure, it's already able to do it with this little amp. Also, with my Lado bass using only the passive electronics on it, it's able to sustain notes indefinitely, with this little amp. Could not be happier. Having the two separate tone controls is such a great feature.
first show - last show
scott
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby scott on Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:59 pm

phpBB [media]
first show - last show
scott
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby taylor swiftboat orgy on Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:03 pm

For Dimension Hatross and Killing Technology alone they get a NC.
taylor swiftboat orgy
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby prowler on Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:35 pm

haha that's great scott :D
prowler

Postby BobbyPeru on Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:24 pm

Funny I dusted off my copy of Nothingface and threw it on my turntable yesterday. Blew my 7yr old sons mind, so it must be good.

Will always be NC
BobbyPeru
huey newton
huey newton

Postby scott on Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:33 am

Finally got Blackguards together tonight

phpBB [media]
first show - last show
scott
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby jimmy two hands on Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:15 am

February 24th at the Abbey Pub.

http://www.songkick.com/concerts/253752 ... -abbey-pub

Didn't the Abbey burn down recently or something?
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby rawketlawnchair on Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:41 am

Ha, first post 11 years ago calls this band cock-rock. Vintage PRF
rawketlawnchair
judge
judge

Postby nonstoptaco on Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:51 am

rawketlawnchair wrote:Ha, first post 11 years ago calls this band cock-rock. Vintage PRF

Ha! Yeah, no idea there, but I suppose if you catch some of their videos there's some hair-flipping peacock moves. Standard fare for metal bands of the era, really. Probably just as fair to call Sepultura cock rock. Not all that accurate but I guess there's some embarrassing posing.

Something like Rrrooaaarr is what it is and the cover looks like it was drawn by an exceptionally creative 5th grader, but there's a weird inversion of thrash there up until later, where it's that plus a psych/prog thing with Piggy playing insane chords that don't make sense.

Maybe they were a little cock rock on Angel Rat? Probably from touring with Shitgarden.
nonstoptaco
president
president

Postby scott on Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:47 am

They're not even remotely cock rock. Cock rock is like ACDC, banging chicks and getting drunk. Voivod has been, since the 80's, a progressive band. Right from the beginning they were warning of perils of nuclear armament, war in general, government control of citizens and general black ops kinda junk, police brutality, environmental disaster, ethical treatment of animals, basically they've always been about the same thing folks are up in arms about today. For 30 years now. They've covered lots of other stuff, it's hard not to with a catalog of like 15 albums, but that's always been their core.
first show - last show
scott
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby BobbyPeru on Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:48 pm

Voivod is playing the Black Cat in DC in February.. I might have to go.
BobbyPeru
huey newton
huey newton

Postby Redline on Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:54 pm

Voivod is playing in....Cudahy!

I better tell Danny...
Redline
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Mick Shrimpton on Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:06 pm

I gave Voivod another chance despite their Trapper Keeper cover art, but they sound as laughable now as when I heard them as a teenager. I suspect their fanbase overlaps too much with Tool and Devin Townshend for my tastes. I still don't understand why they're so beloved. For sci-fi/prog/cyber-metal, I'll take Young Gods, Gojira or even Fear Factory over Voivod.
Mick Shrimpton
first class
first class

Postby BobbyPeru on Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:49 am

Mick Shrimpton wrote:I gave Voivod another chance despite their Trapper Keeper cover art, but they sound as laughable now as when I heard them as a teenager. I suspect their fanbase overlaps too much with Tool and Devin Townshend for my tastes. I still don't understand why they're so beloved. For sci-fi/prog/cyber-metal, I'll take Young Gods, Gojira or even Fear Factory over Voivod.

Wow, I'll have to disagree with you here. Those modern bands you mentioned aren't even contemporaries of Voivod. Also I don't think Voivod fans are Tool or Devin Townsend fans. I'm not sure what records you listened to.. but Killing Technology, Dimension Hatross, and Nothingface are all classic records.

As for Michael Langevin's artwork.. I guess it's love or hate. I personally think it's pretty great. Even have his book Worlds Away with alot of his artwork. To each their own though.
BobbyPeru
huey newton
huey newton

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap