Silkworm

Crap
12%
Not Crap
88%

Total votes : 284

Re: Band: Silkworm

Postby a. james on Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:30 am

i made this mix cd for my best friend who put me on my first plane and flew me out to portland and drove me to seattle and bought me liquor and took me to rock shows and kept me in her house for a week.

it was a mix cd with a super subtle theme of me and her and that 20yrs. she's a saint. just always stuck to me and i am made of snot, so, ya know.

the last song on it is "don't look back." i made this cd for the long car ride i'd know we'd have. we grew tired of

1. iggy pop, lust for life prodigy remix
2. inxs, don't look back
3. pj harvey, dress (live '03)
4. jay reatard, no time
5. the ex, nem ugy van most
6. blondie, long time
7. the long blondes, weekend without makeup
8. pj harvey, rid of me (live '01)
9. pretenders, message of love
10. date of birth, velvet's texture
11. again song, that damned fly
12. colin newman, feigned hearing
13. the thermals, never listen to me
14. silkworm, don't look back.

these, so i had my ipod loaded with just everything else on my dumb computer. who even owns ipods anymore. "don't look back" came on my ipod after we tired of that mix. and she ranted on it. don't think i've ever been more hurt by her. kept my mouth shut.

silkworm, not crap. worth it for that rant.

"don't look back??? say something else!"
Marsupialized wrote:I am NOT sorry I yelled. I should have yelled louder.
a. james
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Verbs & Nouns on Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:59 am

Printed this tote bag today. The amount of time I have “couldn’t you wait” stuck in my head, I figured it’s screenprint worthy.

Verbs & Nouns
alan's bitch
alan's bitch

Postby jonsolomon on Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:28 pm

Verbs & Nouns wrote:Printed this tote bag today. The amount of time I have “couldn’t you wait” stuck in my head, I figured it’s screenprint worthy.

thatfryfromfuturamatakemymoney.gif
jonsolomon
puggy pearson
puggy pearson

Postby Verbs & Nouns on Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:25 pm

jonsolomon wrote:
Verbs & Nouns wrote:Printed this tote bag today. The amount of time I have “couldn’t you wait” stuck in my head, I figured it’s screenprint worthy.

Wow. Thanks!

I still have it on screen and I can order these bags in easily enough. Except I’m located in Australia, so postage can be pretty expensive.
Verbs & Nouns
alan's bitch
alan's bitch

Postby jonsolomon on Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:02 pm

Verbs & Nouns wrote:
jonsolomon wrote:

Wow. Thanks!

I still have it on screen and I can order these bags in easily enough. Except I’m located in Australia, so postage can be pretty expensive.

Could put the logo up on Teepublic (or similar) and that way it could be printed on all sorts of things.

Pillows, for example!
jonsolomon
puggy pearson
puggy pearson

Postby andyman on Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:58 am

I think ^^that'd make an effective tshirt; people would get defensive and stop you in the street to ask what it means.
offal wrote:I just want to be able to play bitchin' single-stroke rolls before I die
andyman
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Verbs & Nouns on Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:25 pm

andyman wrote:I think ^^that'd make an effective tshirt; people would get defensive and stop you in the street to ask what it means.

I was going to print it on a cycling musette to use while riding, but I thought I was asking for trouble from car drivers.
Verbs & Nouns
alan's bitch
alan's bitch

Postby mattw on Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:34 pm

There was a Silkworm tribute album put out a number of years ago- I was rummaging through tapes and found a few other covers I did in prep for that on 4-track. I liked em!

https://tinymonk.bandcamp.com/album/skwm
mattw
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby fvckbikes on Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:14 pm

How do i get access to the demos and ovligvie? ive never heard this songs and i would really love that
fvckbikes
bishop
bishop

Postby askii on Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:39 pm

fvckbikes wrote:How do i get access to the demos and ovligvie? ive never heard this songs and i would really love that

Not sure which demos you have in mind, but I bet a lot of people here have a lot of this stuff. Since I happen to be one of them, and since, despite being a complete nobody, I've gotten an awful lot from this community in the 15+ years since I went from lurking on the SKWM message board to lurking here, I'll PM you a link.

'Stray Bullets' is one of the greatest Silkworm songs. Or just songs period, really.
askii
julie from mod squad
julie from mod squad

Postby tmidgett on Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:46 pm

askii wrote:
fvckbikes wrote:How do i get access to the demos and ovligvie? ive never heard this songs and i would really love that

Not sure which demos you have in mind, but I bet a lot of people here have a lot of this stuff. Since I happen to be one of them, and since, despite being a complete nobody, I've gotten an awful lot from this community in the 15+ years since I went from lurking on the SKWM message board to lurking here, I'll PM you a link.

'Stray Bullets' is one of the greatest Silkworm songs. Or just songs period, really.

Please share away.

We left Stray Bullets off Developer. Which seems weird, because it's good. Though I do love the record just the way it is. Just felt shoehorned into it when we tried.
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby fvckbikes on Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:25 pm

i have only heard the demos on youtube would love to hear the full thing. Stray bullets rule but i cant imagine a single record that it would fit on. Developer is way too subtle and lifestlye is perfect. the later albums are a different style, and blueblood is too homestyle for it
fvckbikes
bishop
bishop

Postby askii on Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:03 pm

Yeah, Developer is perfect as-is. Never understood why it was considered a dark horse or grower or whatever. It was the first one I heard, and I got it and loved it immediately. Firewater and Blueblood were next (order's hazy, but Blueblood was the current alb at the time) and they both took a little while to click.

Still, those Japanese bonus tracks are great. Even 'Dead Hair' and 'Bones' are cool, although I prefer the way they ended up on Lifestyle.

I confess these Developer demos are a new one on me. And here I thought I had pretty much everything! I see 'The Devil Is Beating His Wife' and 'Goodnight Mr. Maugham' are on YouTube -- are there others floating around out there?
askii
julie from mod squad
julie from mod squad

Postby tmidgett on Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:57 pm

fvckbikes wrote:i have only heard the demos on youtube would love to hear the full thing. Stray bullets rule but i cant imagine a single record that it would fit on. Developer is way too subtle and lifestlye is perfect. the later albums are a different style, and blueblood is too homestyle for it

Yeah, that's exactly it. It didn't fit any of the albums. It's a pretty big song but in a funny way that is what kept it off any records.

askii wrote:I confess these Developer demos are a new one on me. And here I thought I had pretty much everything! I see 'The Devil Is Beating His Wife' and 'Goodnight Mr. Maugham' are on YouTube -- are there others floating around out there?

We did a whole bunch of those demos at Rex Ritter's home studio, incl some stuff that never came out, like this song Numbered that was good. I don't remember what all there was. I have a DAT someplace....thanks for all the kind words!
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby mattw on Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:35 am

askii wrote:I confess these Developer demos are a new one on me. And here I thought I had pretty much everything! I see 'The Devil Is Beating His Wife' and 'Goodnight Mr. Maugham' are on YouTube -- are there others floating around out there?

Oh, dang! I haven't heard those.

Question- what is the distinction between bass/dumb bass/twanker?

I know that bass is bass (or is it?) but dumb bass would be the baritone? Twanker, I have no idea.
mattw

Postby jonsolomon on Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:44 am

tmidgett wrote:We did a whole bunch of those demos at Rex Ritter's home studio, incl some stuff that never came out, like this song Numbered that was good. I don't remember what all there was. I have a DAT someplace....thanks for all the kind words!

...oh?
jonsolomon
puggy pearson
puggy pearson

Postby tmidgett on Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:51 am

mattw wrote:Question- what is the distinction between bass/dumb bass/twanker?

I know that bass is bass (or is it?) but dumb bass would be the baritone? Twanker, I have no idea.

Bass is almost always a Travis Bean, just the Wedge from about Blueblood on.

Dumb bass is Steve's name for his crappy fake-Hofner violin bass, which I played on Contempt, Roots...maybe some other stuff, I dunno. But not often.

Twanker is baritone. I can't remember who named it. In my mind, it referred to my Travis Bean that was all tweaked out for baritone use. It had a short scale length for bari and was kind of spanky-sounding, hence the name. I think I only had my first EGC for Chokes.

jonsolomon wrote:
tmidgett wrote:We did a whole bunch of those demos at Rex Ritter's home studio, incl some stuff that never came out, like this song Numbered that was good. I don't remember what all there was. I have a DAT someplace....thanks for all the kind words!

...oh?

I think? I'll have a peek.
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby mattw on Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:54 pm

Did some digging and still can't seem to find "Little Wing" and "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere" from the Firewater extras. Does anyone have those?
mattw

Postby askii on Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:22 pm

mattw wrote:Did some digging and still can't seem to find "Little Wing" and "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere" from the Firewater extras. Does anyone have those?

PM'd
askii
julie from mod squad
julie from mod squad

Postby andyman on Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:51 am

tallchris wrote:
a leg plaster wrote:
tallchris wrote:The live recording of the Empty Bottle show from 9/9/00 is so great. Easily the best live recording of the Worm I've come across, with the added bonus of lots of audience participation.

Is this the "The bottles are never empty at the Empty Bottle" recording I had a downloaded copy of awhile ago? Starts with a great version of Garden City Blues?

Yes! They play a million songs for a billion hours!

The version of That's Entertainment from that show is absolutely crazy. I've been listening to it a lot lately. The whole band are on fire and the solo in particular (at 2:06) is fucking nuts.

I went to the bother of uploading it, for anyone who wants to hear:

Hope that's OK...

You can really hear how important Michael's drumming was, too.
Last edited by andyman on Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
offal wrote:I just want to be able to play bitchin' single-stroke rolls before I die
andyman

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap