Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Band: Bastro

CRAP
5%
NOT CRAP
95%

Total votes : 77

Postby Jodi S. on Sat May 03, 2008 1:39 pm

I swear that David Grubbs sings "crawfish intifada" in that song Tobacco in the Sink.
Jodi S.
Influential Poster

Location: I am sitting in a room, different from the one you are in.

Postby The MayorofRockNRoll on Sun May 04, 2008 1:38 pm

I used to listen to Diablo Guapo on drugs...

that and Bitch Magnet's Ben Hur define 90's psychadelia to me.
I am a weird recluse only here for sex.

PRF Short Fiction Challenge

The staff weren't giving me the things I needed to do my job effectively and give the kids their money's worth...it wasn't too hard considering the concert was only $5
The MayorofRockNRoll
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Dr. O' Nothing on Sun May 04, 2008 2:19 pm

The MayorofRockNRoll wrote:I listened to Diablo Guapo on drugs Friday night.

used yr. post
Dr. O' Nothing
life
life

Postby BadComrade on Mon May 05, 2008 4:41 am

bigc wrote:Anyone here know what guitar, amp and distortion effects (if any) Grubbs used in Bastro? I love that guitar sound.

NOT CRAP.

This is from the video on the Antlers CD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR76uAjtee4

There's video of them playing in Holland on youtube too (which is also from the Antlers CD).

I don't own the Antlers CD. I do have the "rare" deleted Drag City reissue CD that has the 2 albums on it, but I don't think there are any videos on it.
I played a drum in Tijuana Hercules.
Boombats wrote:I can't expect someone who plays an aluminum 12-string bass to have a sense of restraint.
BadComrade
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Mr Egg on Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:13 pm

My introduction to Bastro:

Not Crap. I hope that the problems delaying the reissue of Bastro recordings are resolved, and that we may also be blessed with a compilation of rarities and outtakes.
Mr Egg
marshall
marshall

Re: Band: Bastro

Postby Domagoj on Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:23 pm

*bump*

OrthodoxEaster wrote:Superb little Balkan-leaning wine list. Wonderful pljeskavitca (a sort of pork burger), cevapcici (skinless sausages, just like in that Bastro lyric), girice (tiny fried fish), ...

Ok. There are boys who have their beloved bands. Right? I used to be borderline obsessive too but basically as the teen years progressed obsession was fading into plain fascination. One year it was all fever about Hüsker Dü, the next year were Volcano Suns … and last in line would be a noisy threesome: Bastro/Tar/Bitch Magnet. Bastro I loved best. Motivated by the line below (I hope I correctly deciphered handwriting from the booklet)

gung half a ho slat of rude wine & cevapčiči* a gung half a ho slat left handers all who swore complicated swears of wood smoke and razniči**

I wrote a retarded letter to Louisville, KY and never got a reply.

Bastro played in Slovenia in late 1989 or early 1990. Bitch Magnet missed Zagreb date for some reason and played in easternmost part of Croatia the following day. Silkworm is the only PRF band I can think of, besides BM, that had a concert in that area. Aluminium guitar kings Tar never descended into the Balkans. Shame on you, Tar.

Bastro was GREAT band.

*ćevapčići

**ražnjići

edit: was or were, I'll never know
Last edited by Domagoj on Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Domagoj
gorilla
gorilla

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:03 pm

Domagoj wrote:*ćevapčići**ražnjići

The way Grubbs (mis)pronounced these words always cracked me up.

Bastro was amazing. The finest of many fine bands in which David played (although he would definitely disagree w/this statement). Diablo Guapo is such an incredibly juiced-up record; every song tries to be faster, noisier, and more breathless than than the last. I was pretty much addicted to "Shoot Me a Deer" and "Flesh Colored House" in high school. Still sort of am. Sing the Troubled Beast is less exciting but more musical and also damn good. Hell, I even like the first EP w/the drum machine, which might have catchier songs than the other two records (despite sounding a lot like yes, Big Black).

Fans should note that a totally different version of Diablo Guapo exists as a test pressing and as a tape. Only "Shoot Me a Deer" and "Wurlitzer" are the same versions. This early pressing of the record--which was eventually scrapped after the band tightened up on a European tour and decided to re-record--is a good deal slower and a little colder sounding, kind of bridging the sound of the first EP and the McEntire era. I think it was laid down in two sessions, mostly w/Howie Gano in Kentucky, when McEntire was very new to the band. Walford might perform on part of it, as well. A guy who engineered a record by an old band of mine had a tape of this material and used to play it in the van. Steve could probably provide more reliable info than my murky account of this.

But yeah, Bastro was fucking grand.
OrthodoxEaster
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Domagoj on Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:22 pm

OrthodoxEaster wrote: This early pressing of the record--which was eventually scrapped after the band tightened up on a European tour and decided to re-record--is a good deal slower and a little colder sounding, kind of bridging the sound of the first EP and the McEntire era.

During the tour Grubbs finally grabbed McEntire from My Dad is Dead and Bastro became noise-rock powerhouse, or something like that. Poor Mark Edwards.
Domagoj
gorilla
gorilla

Postby Luzwei on Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:18 pm

Domagoj wrote:Bastro played in Slovenia in late 1989 or early 1990. Bitch Magnet missed Zagreb date for some reason and played in easternmost part of Croatia the following day. Silkworm is the only PRF band I can think of, besides BM, that had a concert in that area. Aluminium guitar kings Tar never descended into the Balkans. Shame on you, Tar.

The Jesus Lizard in Zagreb, I think 91.
lemur68 wrote:A bite from a Lu Zworis is also highly venomous.

I Joe 4 play.
Luzwei
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby vogelscheuche on Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:37 pm

love all the records that band put out.

i tried for 8 hours to hitch out of lancashire broke as HELL to london to see what turned out to be their last tour as bastro.. i think it was winter of 90? 91? i don't remember.. cold and shitty, and i didn't make it. i'd just gotten sing the troubled beast-- which i recall-- kinda scared me. between the cover and the music.. i had no IDEA what to make of that record and HAD to see it live. it were a long way from squirrel bait and diablo guapo.. but it melted my mind like nothing else had. i only recently got antlers.. and i think i listened to it for two weeks straight.. i just didn't WANT to listen to anything else.
vogelscheuche
david schwimmer
david schwimmer

Postby j_harvey on Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:09 pm

bigc wrote:Anyone here know what guitar, amp and distortion effects (if any) Grubbs used in Bastro? I love that guitar sound.

I saw them play in the early 90s and Grubs played a hot pink Strat for about half the set. I don't remember any other gear.
j_harvey
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby Robert G on Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:24 pm

I've been wanting to know what that sound is at the end of "I Come From a Long Line of Shipbuilders" for a good while now. I've been guessing prepared guitar, though it also has a piano-like timbre to it too, which is what's so confusing about it to me. Anyone else take a shot at this?
Robert G
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby honeyisfunny on Fri May 06, 2011 12:13 pm

If anyone wants a pretty-good-condition Rode Hard And Put Up Wet LP then I just got one and am up for a trade for something. I dunno - anyone got "Who Put Out The Fire?" by Monorchid on LP? Or "Sound In Time" by Lungfish?
chris jury wrote:"blistering walls of questionable tone"
honeyisfunny
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby A Landing Craft on Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:29 pm

Heard the Bastro albums many years ago and while I thought they were okay, they didn't really do anything for me. However, I recently stumbled on them again and I've realised that I've been wrong all these years.

NOT CRAP!

I love Bastro!
A Landing Craft
airliner
airliner

Postby tmj on Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:26 pm

Domagoj wrote:
OrthodoxEaster wrote: This early pressing of the record--which was eventually scrapped after the band tightened up on a European tour and decided to re-record--is a good deal slower and a little colder sounding, kind of bridging the sound of the first EP and the McEntire era.

While I have heard about this, I have never actually stumbled across it. Is it floating around out there?
tmj
fan
fan

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:47 pm

tmj wrote:
Domagoj wrote:

While I have heard about this, I have never actually stumbled across it. Is it floating around out there?

Not that I know of, unfortunately. But I do not tend to consume much online music.
OrthodoxEaster

Postby The Canadian on Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:30 pm

Now here's a band we should get to play a PRF BBQ.

Bastro is Not Crap.
Band: http://practicewife.bandcamp.com/

BadComrade wrote: I bet James went in the bathroom and cried
The Canadian
President, Canadian Chapter

Postby mmmribsmmm on Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:34 pm

I actually find that Nonagon reminds me of Bastro a lot. I told them as much. It is very much a compliment.
http://steadystateskc.bandcamp.com/

"Get in the car, I'm from the future."
mmmribsmmm
"kick a ginger day" victim
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby Dave N. on Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:37 pm

mmmribsmmm wrote:I actually find that Nonagon reminds me of Bastro a lot. I told them as much. It is very much a compliment.

I love me some Nonagon, but I don't hear it.
Dave N.
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby Trey on Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:03 pm

Luzwei wrote:
Domagoj wrote:Bastro played in Slovenia in late 1989 or early 1990. Bitch Magnet missed Zagreb date for some reason and played in easternmost part of Croatia the following day. Silkworm is the only PRF band I can think of, besides BM, that had a concert in that area. Aluminium guitar kings Tar never descended into the Balkans. Shame on you, Tar.

The Jesus Lizard in Zagreb, I think 91.

Not to hijack, but The Gary played in Slovenia and Zagreb. Also, Dave N has helped me develop an appreciation for Bastro. Not crap.
I'm like, whatever, it's fucking Houlihan

http://www.thegary.com
Trey
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap