Joe Rogan

Crap
69%
Not Crap
31%

Total votes : 85

Re: Comedian: Joe Rogan

Postby Me Again on Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:11 pm

If he doesn't challenge his guests enough, that's a valid criticism, especially if awful views are presented. But I looked and have to wonder, who exactly are the utter monsters he's given an uncritical platform to? I looked and couldn't find an interview with Richard Spencer (thankfully). The worst I was able to find just now skimming his channel was an interview with that Milo Yiannopoulos, an interview with Steven Crowder, and an interview with Alex Jones. You do have a point there, those guys suck.

But the vast majority of his talks seem to be with people like Robert Downey Jr., Edward Snowden, Jim Gaffigan, Kevin Hart, Graham Hancock, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Richard Dawkins, Jake the Snake Roberts, Bob Lazar, Lance Armstrong, Iliza Schlesinger---which is to say, the very same people you'd expect to find on Netflix, or Conan, or Comedy Central, or Coast to Coast AM, or CNN, or ESPN or whatever. That is, "normal" celebrities. I mean, at least like 80 to 90 percent of his guests seem to be household names in whatever circles they run in, and they just happened be featured by him as well.

Do you really think he has a concerted right-wing agenda? It doesn't seem like he invites a disproportionate amount of right-wingers onto his show. Unless you're talking about people like Nick Di Paulo, who are known as comedians first.
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
the white ho
the white ho

Postby biscuitdough on Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:36 pm

What I'm saying is he offers a platform which reprehensible people easily take advantage of. Also, you forgot Jordan Peterson.
biscuitdough
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Me Again on Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:53 pm

Mentioned Peterson on the previous page, but he and these other creeps already had platforms. They probably wouldn't have been guests if that weren't the case.

I get what you're saying, like Trump these people shouldn't have been given more exposure. But I don't quite see a scheme at work here, on Rogan's part, unless if someone here can demonstrate it. And lot of the same criticisms of him here can be leveled at many other TV talk show hosts, radio DJs, and podcasters.
Me Again
the white ho
the white ho

Postby VaticanShotglass on Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:56 pm

Me Again wrote:I get what you're saying, like Trump these people shouldn't have been given more exposure. But I don't quite see a scheme at work here, on Rogan's part, unless if someone here can demonstrate it. And lot of the same criticisms of him here can be leveled at many other TV talk show hosts, radio DJs, and podcasters.

The scheme is laziness. Lighting up and cashing in. That's fine if he sticks to fights and ufos, but he doesn't. It isn't so much a program or agenda, but a general tendency to suck.

The guy is not Hitler, but he is not the role model a lot of young dudes make him out to be (especially as an example of a critical thinker). Anyone of these things might not condemn him, but they add up to a solid crap on the crap/not crap metric.

He has a string of D-list creeps (whose names I can't even remember) in addition to the bigger name right wing turds. What sucks is that he usually softballs these types. Even when he can come to criticisms of them, it is rarely ever presented as challenges to them. I think he did push back against Peterson once about the "enforces monogamy" thing once.

He seems to show much more skepticism towards left ideas than right ideas.

He has some really jacked up ideas about gender. One minute he pretends to be really serious and informed with his criticisms of transgender athletic competitors, especially in fighting, yet in the next moment, depending on who his guest is, he will snicker and throw around slurs and so on.

He has really messed up views about masculinity where there's not that many ways to be a "real man." He's kind of an agro douche one minute and a feel good hippie the next, depending on what suits him best at the moment.

He seems really into hero worship, success makes right, self-made man, and similar fantasies.

And, as seen above, he tends to be duplicitous. He taps out of holding guests to standards and so on. He's smart enough to do so if he would put a little work in. He doesn't.

Subjectively, I don't find him funny. I don't find a lot of his comedy buddies funny. If I were to judge by some of these guys, "comedian" may as well mean "paid to be an asshole."
VaticanShotglass
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby Me Again on Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:25 am

Oh, laziness is a valid criticism. Probably the best one mentioned here so far. But comedians' podcasts are often far from incisive and hard-hitting affairs: the wit that often characterizes someone's act doesn't always carry over into his drawn-out chats. That said, a good enough guest can make up for that. I've always liked Dick Cavett's talks, for instance--he's a skilled interviewer--but overall the guests are what make them worth watching.
Me Again
the white ho
the white ho

Postby jimmy spako on Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:38 am

He doesn't make people smarter, he makes them dumber.

Therefore he is CRAP.

I don't know anyone who got their minds opened to some sort of more progressive world view through Rogan, and I kind of doubt they exist. I do know people tangentially who have had their worldview funneled into an adament "the regressive left is the real danger" trip through listening to Rogan and Bill Burr and (then) voices to their right. These are impressionable dudes from liberal backgrounds who are also intellectually lazy.

If he endorses Sanders essentially, that is still a good thing, and maybe counters some of the above damage. Still, CRAP.
Isabelle Gall wrote:'Do not go smoothly into that dark night'
jimmy spako
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby biscuitdough on Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:20 am

The question isn't whether he's the only one normalizing right wing beliefs, or even if he's the worst. The question is, is he crap? He is.

It seems like his ideology is: 1. It's more important to draw a novel conclusion than a correct one, 2. Unless you're a woman, in which case you should just shut up.
biscuitdough

Postby M.H on Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:58 am

biscuitdough wrote:The question isn't whether he's the only one normalizing right wing beliefs...

Sounds like you're living inside a bubble. What right wing beliefs has JR (and his ilk) helped to 'normalise' that haven't been held by 30 - 50% of the population over the last 40/50 years?
M.H
alexander alekhine
alexander alekhine

Postby Andrew. on Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:14 am

Me Again wrote:I fail to see how Rogan "thinks out loud without shame" anymore than someone like Marc Maron, or Tom Segura, or for that matter most working comedians with podcasts.

Maron hasn't had Jordan Peterson on his podcast once, let alone six times in two years. Thinking out loud w Lily Tomlin is different than letting JP hold court for 10 hours, annually.
Andrew.
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby biscuitdough on Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:47 am

If you think 30-50% of any group, even white men, are Jordan Peterson and Milo fans, you're in a pretty fucked up bubble yourself.
biscuitdough

Postby enframed on Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:49 pm

jimmy spako wrote:He doesn't make people smarter, he makes them dumber.

Therefore he is CRAP.

I don't know anyone who got their minds opened to some sort of more progressive world view through Rogan, and I kind of doubt they exist. I do know people tangentially who have had their worldview funneled into an adament "the regressive left is the real danger" trip through listening to Rogan and Bill Burr and (then) voices to their right. These are impressionable dudes from liberal backgrounds who are also intellectually lazy.

If he endorses Sanders essentially, that is still a good thing, and maybe counters some of the above damage. Still, CRAP.

I am unfamiliar with his podcast but my son who is 24 years old is a big fan and is also pretty left-wing in his beliefs. His friends are the same. They know the left is the way of the future. Not everyone listening is funneled that way.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Me Again on Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:12 pm

Yeah, some people here seem to be implying that most of those who watch or have watched his podcast are conservative/libertarian/MMA/Men's Rights Movement guys who take Jordan Peterson's talking points as some kind of gospel.

These people likely exist, but comparatively "normal" listeners are in the mix as well, quite a few. And not everyone views Rogan as some kind of role model or intellectual gatekeeper. They might just like some of his interviews. Shocking, I know.
Me Again
the white ho
the white ho

Postby m3kcomp on Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:12 pm

jimmy spako wrote:These are impressionable dudes from liberal backgrounds who are also intellectually lazy.

As I age, I grow increasingly weary and suspicious of the rigorous demands put upon me by those who feel their belief system is the only correct one. I've never felt more like an alien among the Progressive Left, of which I always felt the most kinship with, than I do now. It's a frightening thing the realize, and I don't see anyone doing anything but yap about how it's someone else's fault we're in this pickle.

Fundamentalism, in any form, is a cancer.

The middle was a pretty big pool, the vast majority probably. Forcing everyone to think in black and white is what brought us here and I think it fucking sucks. How's that for intellectual rigor?
m3kcomp
walter johnson
walter johnson

Postby biscuitdough on Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:21 pm

Truly, I have taken a radical position in suggesting that someone who routinely calls women bitches is an asshole.
biscuitdough

Postby Wood Goblin on Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:40 pm

I really can’t stand humiliation and degradation as entertainment. Fear Factor may not have been as gross as Howard Stern in that regard, but it was close enough to shake hands with him. Crap, zero waffles, for Fear Factor.

And the Man Show too.

I’ve listened to one episode of his podcast—the David Lee Roth interview. Rogan kissed DLR’s ass the entire time. DLR yammered on for three (!) hours, and yet it was Rogan I wanted to shut up. “You’re such a legend, Dave, you’re such a rock star.” Good grief.

Maybe he’s not irredeemable, but he’s still crap.
Wood Goblin
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby m3kcomp on Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:45 pm

biscuitdough wrote:Truly, I have taken a radical position in suggesting that someone who routinely calls women bitches is an asshole.

The owner of this message board has a odd history with the portrayal of women in his art, yet has proven himself to be a pretty upstanding & outstanding individual, no?

Perhaps he's an asshole, but he's not Satan because he says "bitches." Honestly, I don't want to defend Joe Rogan...but doesn't he call everyone a bitch? Is that the next word people can't say now? (Come to think of it, I'm not entirely sure if he routinely calls anyone that word at all...it's just in the intro to his youtube videos.)

It just seems like a time where we desperately need to try to see bigger pictures instead of pigeonholing every single person that exists. I was always told that's part of maturing...another lie they told me!!!

Also, I thought you were kind of arguing for a more moderate approach earlier...confused!

biscuitdough wrote:If you think 30-50% of any group, even white men, are Jordan Peterson and Milo fans, you're in a pretty fucked up bubble yourself.
m3kcomp
walter johnson
walter johnson

Postby VaticanShotglass on Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:27 pm

M.H wrote:
biscuitdough wrote:The question isn't whether he's the only one normalizing right wing beliefs...

Sounds like you're living inside a bubble. What right wing beliefs has JR (and his ilk) helped to 'normalise' that haven't been held by 30 - 50% of the population over the last 40/50 years?

Bubble my ass.

This guy has the #1 Podcast and is very popular with young dudes from their late teens all the way through their twenties. Maybe his shit ideas aren't new, but he is renewing their life span with his audiences. And his audience is huge!

And you know college is three times as expensive today as it was twelve years ago. Most of these young dudes are picking up their big ideas from youtube, reddit, and podcasts. They don't even get the intro to humanities class that is sufficient to show how little Jordan Peterson knows. College is by no means necessary for everyone, but it has done many of open minded young people some good to be exposed to classic theories, literature, and basic science. It's just not an option for so many kids these days.

It's not Rogan's fault that he has become the gateway of ideas for the youth, but shit, maybe it's his responsibility to try a little harder. He sure profits of the image and buzz words of "digging deeper" and "independent thought." Maybe he should invest in some of the virtues there of.
VaticanShotglass

Postby VaticanShotglass on Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:55 pm

m3kcomp wrote:The middle was a pretty big pool, the vast majority probably. Forcing everyone to think in black and white is what brought us here and I think it fucking sucks. How's that for intellectual rigor?

Lazy. A pedant could name at least two fallacies you are committing.

Nobody here is talking about censoring Joe, high functioning moron, Rogan. Nobody is trying to get you to not listen to him interview someone. I have claimed two real points here. 1) Joe Rogan is crap in many ways (this is compatible with him being not-crap in other ways; maybe his bigfoot conversations are fun, for example). 2) One of the most unfortunate ways he sucks is that he is influential in renewing and spreading bad ideas and the popularity of bad thinkers.

Maybe you like his fight club talk, or his DMT talk. That there's no contradiction in liking that and not liking his transphobic tendencies. Is that the problem? He has faults, but you like his gab anyway? Okay. As long as we don't deny how the second part sucks, then alright. There's tension there but no actual contradiction in the position. Maybe you like his carno-diet tips enough that, despite flaws, he lands squarely on not crap for you. That's why its a discussion. For me one part taints the other, but hey, I still like big dumb Melvins riffs even if that dude has bad ideas about how society does/should work.

Or is it that left/liberal folk are just too precious these days? If the latter then, Joe Rogan sounds like good company.

As for black and white thinking, maybe we can somehow poll the forum on a fecal gradient scale.
VaticanShotglass

Postby Me Again on Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:00 pm

I would NOT see a band called Fecal Gradient Scale, though it's easy to imagine The Quietus writing a promising blurb about them.
Me Again
the white ho
the white ho

Postby seanurban on Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:04 pm

enframed wrote:
jimmy spako wrote:He doesn't make people smarter, he makes them dumber.

Therefore he is CRAP.

I am unfamiliar with his podcast but my son who is 24 years old is a big fan and is also pretty left-wing in his beliefs. His friends are the same. They know the left is the way of the future. Not everyone listening is funneled that way.

What’s he think of Andrew yang & Jordan Peterson?
seanurban
King High

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap