69%
Not Crap
31%

Total votes : 85

Re: Comedian: Joe Rogan

Postby enframed on Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:26 pm

seanurban wrote:
enframed wrote:
jimmy spako wrote:He doesn't make people smarter, he makes them dumber.

Therefore he is CRAP.

I don't know anyone who got their minds opened to some sort of more progressive world view through Rogan, and I kind of doubt they exist. I do know people tangentially who have had their worldview funneled into an adament "the regressive left is the real danger" trip through listening to Rogan and Bill Burr and (then) voices to their right. These are impressionable dudes from liberal backgrounds who are also intellectually lazy.

If he endorses Sanders essentially, that is still a good thing, and maybe counters some of the above damage. Still, CRAP.

I am unfamiliar with his podcast but my son who is 24 years old is a big fan and is also pretty left-wing in his beliefs. His friends are the same. They know the left is the way of the future. Not everyone listening is funneled that way.

What’s he think of Andrew yang & Jordan Peterson?

Yang is out and irrelevant until 2024, unless he's tapped for VP. I have not asked him about Peterson. He says he will vote for Sanders in the primary.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby enframed on Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:34 pm

It just occurred to me that the poll is "COMEDIAN: JOE ROGAN." I didn't know he was a comedian!
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Andrew. on Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:34 am

Someone watch a Rogan stand-up special and report back. You'd have to pay me by the minute.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby mattw on Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:11 am

The funny thing is that I haven't watched any of Rogan's clips (JRE) for more than 5-10 minutes (at most), because there are a few things that bother me:

a) wide-ass headphones
b) shiny bald head (dude looks like Mr. Clean)
c) usually kind of bland conversation or uninteresting questions; doesn't seem very prepared, and a lot is off the cuff
d) dull format- I swear that almost every show I've seen involves him pulling up an article or a clip on the computer screen, and reading off the screen. Totally dumb.

The only thing is that his conservative/nut guests are typically entertaining and certainly have plenty to say, even if their views are diametrically opposed to my own. It gives me some insight into the real twisted branch of the right. His episode with Ted Nugent was pretty interesting- and the whole discourse around hunting. Nugent knows his shit- and I know jack about hunting, so it certainly taught me a thing or two. Rogan is certainly the antidote to super-PC culture, so aspects of that are amusing, but that's about it.
mattw
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby seanurban on Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:58 am

enframed wrote:
seanurban wrote:
enframed wrote:
jimmy spako wrote:He doesn't make people smarter, he makes them dumber.

Therefore he is CRAP.

I don't know anyone who got their minds opened to some sort of more progressive world view through Rogan, and I kind of doubt they exist. I do know people tangentially who have had their worldview funneled into an adament "the regressive left is the real danger" trip through listening to Rogan and Bill Burr and (then) voices to their right. These are impressionable dudes from liberal backgrounds who are also intellectually lazy.

If he endorses Sanders essentially, that is still a good thing, and maybe counters some of the above damage. Still, CRAP.

I am unfamiliar with his podcast but my son who is 24 years old is a big fan and is also pretty left-wing in his beliefs. His friends are the same. They know the left is the way of the future. Not everyone listening is funneled that way.

What’s he think of Andrew yang & Jordan Peterson?

Yang is out and irrelevant until 2024, unless he's tapped for VP. I have not asked him about Peterson. He says he will vote for Sanders in the primary.
Sounds like you raised a free thinker. It's not enough to be anti-trump.
I don't subscribe to the JRE but for those who do, I'm not seeing huge red flags. Would I listen to 10 hours of Jordan Peterson? No, but there are times when I want to dive into UFO sightings too.
seanurban
King High

Postby Andrew. on Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:19 pm

Not much daylight between "free thinker" and "lazy thinker" in the world of Rogan.

There's plenty of commentaries on the JRE. Here's a random one:

"The Joe Rogan Experience Is a Safe Space to Launder Bad Ideas"
By ignoring the various issues hounding Musk, Rogan is implicitly saying that they don't matter. When Rogan lets Musk smoke a blunt and talk about electric planes, the universe as a simulation, and the singularity without probing him on any recent controversies, the undertone is that Musk’s critics are hysterical for caring about things like union busting, SEC rule-skirting, and how billionaires use their power. It's a dynamic that results in great damage control for figures like Peterson, Alex Jones, and now, Musk.
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/9kv9 ... -bad-ideas
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby seanurban on Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:06 pm

He doesn't claim to be an intellectual heavyweight but whether the guest is Ed Snowden or Elon Musk, you pretty much know what to expect.
seanurban
King High

Postby dipsophonic on Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:34 pm

TBH I'm not familiar with his stand-up.
His podcasts gets really cringe, but usually has interesting guests.

Gonna have to lean towards crap, as he seems to be the spokesperson for the "enlightened bro".
dipsophonic
adjutant
adjutant

Postby Andrew. on Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:52 pm

VaticanShotglass wrote:
Me Again wrote:I get what you're saying, like Trump these people shouldn't have been given more exposure. But I don't quite see a scheme at work here, on Rogan's part, unless if someone here can demonstrate it. And lot of the same criticisms of him here can be leveled at many other TV talk show hosts, radio DJs, and podcasters.

The scheme is laziness. Lighting up and cashing in. That's fine if he sticks to fights and ufos, but he doesn't. It isn't so much a program or agenda, but a general tendency to suck.

The guy is not Hitler, but he is not the role model a lot of young dudes make him out to be (especially as an example of a critical thinker). Anyone of these things might not condemn him, but they add up to a solid crap on the crap/not crap metric.

He has a string of D-list creeps (whose names I can't even remember) in addition to the bigger name right wing turds. What sucks is that he usually softballs these types. Even when he can come to criticisms of them, it is rarely ever presented as challenges to them. I think he did push back against Peterson once about the "enforces monogamy" thing once.

He seems to show much more skepticism towards left ideas than right ideas.

He has some really jacked up ideas about gender. One minute he pretends to be really serious and informed with his criticisms of transgender athletic competitors, especially in fighting, yet in the next moment, depending on who his guest is, he will snicker and throw around slurs and so on.

He has really messed up views about masculinity where there's not that many ways to be a "real man." He's kind of an agro douche one minute and a feel good hippie the next, depending on what suits him best at the moment.

He seems really into hero worship, success makes right, self-made man, and similar fantasies.

And, as seen above, he tends to be duplicitous. He taps out of holding guests to standards and so on. He's smart enough to do so if he would put a little work in. He doesn't.

Subjectively, I don't find him funny. I don't find a lot of his comedy buddies funny. If I were to judge by some of these guys, "comedian" may as well mean "paid to be an asshole."

This is a great post.

There's a tendency to evaluate people like Rogan on the axes of likability and intent. Is the person likable, engaging, honest, personable and do they seem well-intentioned? Do they seem well-meaning.

Rogan passes both these smell tests while tapping into the alienation and perceived persecution of straight white broze.

Saying "but Rogan doesn't claim to be an intellectual" is a -- wait for it -- lazy way to brush aside basic, obvious criticisms of someone with one of the largest media platforms of any individual in the world. Millions and millions of subscribers and he uses the podcast to hawk his very own line of supplements and shit, right? While platforming all kinds of ignorant, reactionary assholes endlessly.

Ironically, Bernie passes Rogan's sniff test since he's consistent, independent, and no-bullshit and that cuts ice w Rogan, which works out in this case. And Rogan seems to understand the healthcare thing on some visceral level.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Me Again on Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:44 pm

Rogan sells supplements on the web, huh? Oh no, I can't listen to him interview ufologists and comedians anymore, knowing he's slinging products on the side. It's just too much to bear. When Neil Young started selling Ponos, that was the last straw! I threw away my copies of On the Beach, Zuma, and Psychedelic Pill because even though I liked listening to them, my tiny brains couldn't handle him starting another business venture. It's like, "Dude, stick to what you know, singing and playing the guitar, playing with model trains, and filling stadiums. There's no need to chase the almighty dollar here."

You do know Bernie wrote and then sold a book which made him a millionaire, right? The last time I donated to Bernie's campaign, by the by, I started getting... text messages to my personal phone every other day, and daily emails, every other one asking for more money. I had to opt out since the actual content was redundant given that I was already following him on Facebook, but these messages were frequent and insistent, and getting them to go away wasn't easy. No podcast I've listened to has ever reminded me of its existence to that extent. But do continue with your line of thought, as the potential tackiness of people with large followings is something no one's ever experienced before, except from Joe Rogan, the bumbling scourge of the internet.
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
the white ho
the white ho

Postby seanurban on Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:44 pm

I'm not saying JR is above criticism, much of which i agree with. But I also see why he is #1 at podcasting, and it doesn't really bother me. If he were the same douchey (here's a new one) bro from Fear Factor, I'd probably add to the hate. But I think he's better than he used to be. He's moving in the right direction, as they say.
seanurban
King High

Postby Me Again on Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:00 pm

No, he's not above criticism (hint: no one is), nor is he deserving of cultlike devotion. I just see him as a popular podcast host with his fingers in a lot of pies who sometimes conducts interviews worth sitting through. There doesn't seem to be a conspiracy here.
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
the white ho
the white ho

Postby kokorodoko on Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:53 pm

I don't believe Joe thinks in terms of "giving platforms". He has people on because he thinks they are interesting or because he likes them personally.
kokorodoko
bronson pinchot
bronson pinchot

Postby VaticanShotglass on Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:57 am

Oh shit, I've been doing this wrong. I've actually been reading the posts I disagree with.
VaticanShotglass
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:41 am

kokorodoko wrote:I don't believe Joe thinks...

You can stop there. Covers everything.
maintain a healthy foe list
A_Man_Who_Tries
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby blackmarket on Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:27 am

If you consider Alex Jones a friend, you are most likely a shithead.
blackmarket
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby biscuitdough on Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:45 am

If you have the #3 podcast on stitcher and you routinely have guests who are misogynists, conspiracy theorists or other dangerously wrong, bad people, then you are doing something that is Crap. Even if you're a nice guy and they're your friends.

By the way, half of the bad faith replies I've gotten so far have mentioned that he's a bro, implying that that's why I object to him. Bros are fine. What Joe Rogan is, though, is a douche.
biscuitdough
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Boombats on Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:59 am

He's a shitty comedian but I'm glad he's sort of behind Sanders.

Clinton went on Howard Stern who is a MUCH much shittier person.
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby seanurban on Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:32 am

biscuitdough wrote:If you have the #3 podcast on stitcher and you routinely have guests who are misogynists, conspiracy theorists or other dangerously wrong, bad people, then you are doing something that is Crap. Even if you're a nice guy and they're your friends.

By the way, half of the bad faith replies I've gotten so far have mentioned that he's a bro, implying that that's why I object to him. Bros are fine. What Joe Rogan is, though, is a douche.

Come on, if we deleted the word Bro this thread would only be 4 pages long. It's part of who he is. Now we are just arguing what his pie chart looks like (4% misogynist, 55% bro, 10% douche, 12% tattoos).
So let's not split hairs. This discussion could use some video clips, or it will just wane out. Everyone's point has been made.

BC: If I say something dumb, people assume that I'm dumb.
JR: Yeah...
seanurban
King High

Postby placeholder on Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:51 am

CRAP.

He's a gullible fucking buffoon who gives right-wing assholes a platform. Fuck this dude.

I wish he hadn't endorsed Sanders. He's a liability.
placeholder
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap