Joe Rogan

Crap
70%
Not Crap
30%

Total votes : 86

Re: Comedian: Joe Rogan

Postby famousjunkie on Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:31 am

I watched one of the recent episodes where Hamilton Morris was the guest (I'm a fan). Joe Rogan was definitely the worst part of the interview because of some of his questions the lack of attention paid to some of the answers.

I agree that he does seem like a likable, nice guy when it comes down to it. And I would say that ascribing any kind of "meathead" label to him is unfair, and that that's a silly way to think about people in general anyway.

The trouble I see with the podcast is that it offers a first glimpse at certain political and scientific discussions/issues for many of its listeners. And some don't seem to think critically about what is being said but rather nod their heads and think they've learned something. At worst, regurgitate without further research.

That NYT piece grouping him in with the "intellectual dark web" makes his recent associations with the likes of Jordan Peterson and Sam Harris even more gagworthy. Because it offers a window into how certain people view this group, who, from what I gather, can never stop jerking each other off about what an answer they are to some question that was never posed in the first place.
famousjunkie
julia child
julia child

Postby Boombats on Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:03 pm

His Jimmy Dore interview episode was great, but that's because of Jimmy Dore.

Rogan needs to spend a month in the body and life of a woman before he can call himself any kind of enlightened.
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby Christopher on Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:36 pm

Boombats wrote:Rogan needs to spend a month in the body and life of a woman before he can call himself any kind of enlightened.

[quantum leaps into Phyllis Schlafly, ca. 1972]
I guitar Conformists.
Christopher
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby VaticanShotglass on Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:59 pm

famousjunkie wrote:
The trouble I see with the podcast is that it offers a first glimpse at certain political and scientific discussions/issues for many of its listeners. And some don't seem to think critically about what is being said but rather nod their heads and think they've learned something. At worst, regurgitate without further research.

This. I'm not saying his friends and family shouldn't love him or anything. I'm saying his show is bad and is a bad influence.
VaticanShotglass
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby WeStartToDrift on Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:55 pm

Total crap. At his worst he is a less-sensational roided-out Alex Jones at his best he is functionally unintelligent and ill-informed.
WeStartToDrift
carl yastrzemski
carl yastrzemski

Postby Andrew. on Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:52 am

Fwiw Rogan says he's "probably going to vote for Bernie" in the primary.
Andrew.
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby m3kcomp on Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:16 pm

I was thinking the other day while watching some of his videos with Ed Calderon that, regardless of if you love him or hate him, Rogan has really managed to carve out an interesting life for himself. He essentially gets to deep dive into anything he's interested in with guests, make dough with the UFC and do his stand up in between the two. If you'd told me that the a-hole from Fear Factor would have turned into this guy, I would have laughed in your face.

He's grown on me.

Sure, he's an ass a sometimes...but who isn't? I respect what the guy has built for himself, and also don't drink the kool-aid about him that the left wants all good liberals to drink. There's room for different types of people in the dialog, and we're heading down the most dangerous of roads if we keep trying to make sure everyone gets every thing "right."

(I have to admit, however, that I love the comments on every one of his youtube videos...where it becomes a race to declare him Joe "latest ridiculous thing he said" Rogan.)
m3kcomp
rolls royce
rolls royce

Postby Me Again on Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:45 pm

Rogan appeared very out of his depth opposite Sean Carroll, when they were talking about the many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics. But then again, the average podcaster with a background in comedy probably wouldn't have fared much better.

Rogan does deserve credit for having a wider array of guests on his show than most podcasts, even if the likes of Jordan Peterson and Ben Shapiro are total non-starters for me.
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:49 pm

Me Again wrote:Rogan does deserve credit for having a wider array of guests on his show than most podcasts, even if the likes of Jordan Peterson and Ben Shapiro are total non-starters for me.

Behave. He gives all manner of venomous cocksuckers equal platform and when he does, he hasn't the smarts or willingness to take them to task. If that's worthy of credit then we're even more fucked than I thought

He's a toxic cunt. End of.
maintain a healthy foe list
A_Man_Who_Tries
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby Me Again on Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:58 pm

I don't know so much about the venomous c--------- he's had on, other than the two that were mentioned, who as I said are non-starters and void of interest; by "wide array" I meant people from different professions (entertainers, scientists, ufologists, authors, athletes, politicians, enterpreneurs, etc.).

So chill.
Me Again
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby Andrew. on Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:32 pm

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote:He gives all manner of venomous cocksuckers equal platform and when he does, he hasn't the smarts or willingness to take them to task.

Absolutely true (maybe consider retiring "cocksucker" as an insult though?).

A huge part of Rogan's appeal is that he doesn't make men feel stupid. He hardly knows a thing about anything outside of MMA, and yet at the same time he seems curious, open-minded, and unashamed of his ignorance. He thinks out loud without shame, which men love, because it affirms their own capacity for being perpetually innocent assholes.
Andrew.

Postby WeStartToDrift on Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:56 pm

Andrew. wrote:A huge part of Rogan's appeal is that he doesn't make men feel stupid. He hardly knows a thing about anything outside of MMA, and yet at the same time he seems curious, open-minded, and unashamed of his ignorance. He thinks out loud without shame, which men love, because it affirms their own capacity for being perpetually innocent assholes.

This sums Rogan up really quite eloquently.
WeStartToDrift
carl yastrzemski
carl yastrzemski

Postby Me Again on Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:08 pm

I fail to see how Rogan "thinks out loud without shame" anymore than someone like Marc Maron, or Tom Segura, or for that matter most working comedians with podcasts. As far as such fare goes, his acumen is...about par for the course. If utmost intellectual rigor is what a person's looking for, she's probably not gonna find it on most popular YouTube channels.

It feels a little weird defending Rogan here, since I'm not a staunch supporter/acolyte, haven't watched much of his stand-up, and don't tune in often. But sometimes he has good guests on (including Bernie!) and the conversations aren't that bad. So as a casual observer who pays attention to stand-up, I don't really see a huge problem.
Me Again
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby m3kcomp on Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:26 pm

If the people we often rail against, accepting the idea they're toxic uneducated men, have the attention span to sit through a three hour long podcast with a scientist, journalist, businessman, activist, or other person actually doing something maybe we should start giving them more credit and try to understand what they think instead of writing them off?

Our hubris & conceit are going to get Trump elected again, and heaven help us all when it happens.
m3kcomp
rolls royce
rolls royce

Postby Me Again on Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:39 pm

m3kcomp wrote:Our hubris & conceit are going to get Trump elected again...

Probably this will happen, yeah, if I had to guess (much as it pains me to type that, much as I'd like to be wrong).

But don't worry, there will be a lot of fingerpointing and stigmatization to go around--the left is good at that--so we'll all be able to get in on the action, in case we missed this the first time around.
Me Again
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby VaticanShotglass on Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:01 pm

Wait, recognizing that Rogan is dumb is electing Trump?

Or is it calling him dumb that's doing it (on Crap/Not Crap, no less)?
VaticanShotglass

Postby Me Again on Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:09 pm

They're not related, no. But Trump probably will win reelection, in part because of the narcissism of small (and not so small) differences. Infighting of anyone left of Republican.
Me Again
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby m3kcomp on Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:24 pm

VaticanShotglass wrote:Wait, recognizing that Rogan is dumb is electing Trump?

Or is it calling him dumb that's doing it (on Crap/Not Crap, no less)?

No, my point was assuming all of the (many) people who listen to the "toxic" guests he has on are dumb is dangerous and got us in the mess we're in now.

The "deplorables" mindset.

IME, calling anyone dumb usually doesn't yield good results.
m3kcomp
rolls royce
rolls royce

Postby M.H on Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:36 pm

Not a fan of JR, but (like Pewdiepie), I think he’s stumbled across a way of connecting with an audience via the internet and put the work in over many years to become the success story he is now.

He allows his guests to have their say for as long as it takes. He lets them explain their corner of the world in as much detail as they want. Turns out that’s a winning formula. People want depth and nuance and this guy who many of you are dismissing as an uneducated ape gives it to them more than anyone else.

Suddenly the establishment media is playing catch up with the dude who presented Fear Factor. Great!

N.C for being a factor in a paradigm shift.
M.H
lt. sharon 'boomer' valerii
lt. sharon 'boomer' valerii

Postby biscuitdough on Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:16 pm

Nobody is saying that he's wrong for his interview style. They're saying he's wrong for giving a platform to misogynists (which, he is one), magical thinkers and generally a mix of evil people and people who hold evil views.

Do you think most people listen to him so they can critically examine the views of his guests? I think his fans view him the way a lot of people view the news and news-comedy talk shows. They don't pay attention until someone they already like is on. And much like the mainstream media news and talk shows, he continually legitimizes horrible views.

The left does need someone who connects with his audience, but the answer isn't to give him a pass. He sucks. I'd like to think he's growing up when he says he MIGHT vote for Bernie, but he has a lot to make up for.
biscuitdough
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap