Total votes : 13

Re: Death Metal Group: Suffocation.

Postby gjp on Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:49 am

gjp
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby goatlord on Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:31 pm

I can't think of any of the main early death metal bands that I dislike, and this band has a place near my heart, because Effigy of The Forgotten was one of the first death metal records that I enjoyed and didn't scared the shit out of me (I was 15, mind you). So it basically was my introduction to extreme metal, and I still love the shit out of it.

NOT CRAP
YES YES YES YES RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD When in doubt, treat it as a record. Call your Records - Horse_ebooks
goatlord

Postby Plastic Eggs on Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:48 pm

Effigy of the Forgotten has become a daily ritual of sorts recently. Great headphone music for the office. Hard to believe this album is 25 years old at this point. It still thrills.

I usually hate death metal of the br00tal, tech-tard variety, but I have always loved Suffocation. Unlike the droves of lame imitators they inspired, Suffo understands how to write memorable material with strong, tight composition.
Plastic Eggs
gus hansen
gus hansen

Postby Bernardo on Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:27 pm

still haven't bothered with the post-reformation records (of which there are many at this point)
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby M.H on Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:08 pm

Bernardo wrote:I know it sounds silly to say this about a band called Suffocation, but it really is music you have to put some effort into to "get it". I'd recommend listening to the track "Despise the Sun" (posted above) and if you find anything in it you like start from the EP with the same title and move backwards.

Been giving this lot another try recently, oddly enough the ineptly recorded Breeding the Spawn was the one that kinda hooked me in - there's definitely something interesting going on underneath the mud - but you were correct to hype Despise the Sun, which is killer (and more importantly sounds great).

Still feel that they got a raw deal working with Scott Burns on the earlier stuff though, he did the more intricate and labyrinthine music they were creating zero favours, sonically speaking. Can't get into Effigy... at all, but I'm almost able to get down w/ Pierced...
M.H
baboon
baboon

Postby bashar on Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:59 pm

Effigy makes more sense if you hear the older versions on Human Waste (the version with bonus tracks).

It's trendy in some circles to bash Scott Burns, which isn't entirely fair because "producing" death metal was kind of a new thing in the late 80s/early 90s. But he sure did botch some classic albums. I mean, I'm pretty sure an album that sends you reeling back to demos to even be able to make out some of the riffs is the definition of bad production.

Hearing something from that era he DIDN'T touch like Symphonies of Sickness or Mental Funeral is a revelation after you slog through enough Morrisound albums.

Pierced sounds okay. Less mushy than the debut anyway.
bashar
novitiate
novitiate

Postby M.H on Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:12 pm

bashar wrote: It's trendy in some circles to bash Scott Burns, which isn't entirely fair... Pierced sounds okay. Less mushy than the debut anyway.

I think Mr Burns gets way more shit than he deserves, he did a good job more often than not. He's like the metal version of Spot (SST) - dealing w/ pioneering bands on a tiny budget.

Leprosy, Human, Once Upon the Cross, Arise, Retribution, Cause of Death, The Bleeding, Unquestionable Presence, World Downfall, Misery Index... all great sounding records, right for each band in their own way.

The only stuff I think he did badly were the Suffocation records (but he did the 2 guitar brutal tech thing very well on The Bleeding - maybe Suffo were bringin' less bucks to the studio?) and Harmony Corruption (were those clueless Brummies went to Morrisound trying to replicate the Left Hand Path vibe and were somehow disappointed with the results).
M.H
baboon
baboon

Postby biscuitdough on Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:16 pm

I heard that the way he kept the rates down was by requiring the bands to use his amps, set his way, to make mixing easier/quicker. I could see that not playing well with everyone's varying pickups, tunings, etc.
biscuitdough
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby leeplusplus on Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:26 pm

This was on the Relapse Contaminated 5.0 comp and blew my 14 year old mind. I wasn't allowed to buy any metal records but got the comp for free at Amoeba and listened to it quietly on the drive back.

Suffocation - Funeral Inception
I sing and play guitar in Mooner, Contorno and play bass in Gerund.
leeplusplus
alderman
alderman

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap