UFC

Crap
60%
Not Crap
40%

Total votes : 81

Re: UFC

Postby Trey on Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:43 pm

Agreed, Mama Clortho. Especially the Pettis fight. He has really struggled the past few years, and Wonderboy seemed to be having his way with him until the big punch. But that's the game.
I'm like, whatever, it's fucking Houlihan

http://www.thegary.com
Trey
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Ike on Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:57 pm

First: No way he stays out of the ring. Hope he goes into boxing and gets crushed.

Second: FUCK THIS DUDE.

Third: "He'll live with this shame for his whole life."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/26/spor ... sault.html
Ike
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby Andrew. on Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:57 pm

No one thinks it's a real retirement.

It might say something about MMA culture that Conor's sexual assault troubles broke in January but it seems all the MMA media and podcasts just ignored it and didn't care. That's my impression, anyway.
Last edited by Andrew. on Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Ike on Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:32 pm

It broke, but it was only on Reddit. Those guys are the fucking worst (the entire culture, really), so I wouldn't put it past them. But the initial news was "broken" on a reddit post. The official word came down more recently, right?

Anyway, I hate him! He's the fucking pits. I'm glad he was shamed by a dude who is turning out to be some sort of oil/fascist oligarch or something!

This is absolutely the toughest sport to defend. Literally talk about it here, with Trey, and texting another friend, that's it.
Ike
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby nihil on Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:46 pm

MMA journalists new about this but nobody wanted to touch it for fear of the Irish defamation laws. The only person that really talked about it was Eugene from Oxbow.
nihil
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby Mama Clortho on Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:42 pm

Where did Eugene talk about it? I’m now excited he has has an mma blog or something.
Mama Clortho
the white ho
the white ho

Postby nihil on Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:44 am

nihil

Postby Mama Clortho on Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:15 am

Thanks for that, nihil.

Justin Gaethje is the fucking best.

He’s shown so much growth in his last two fights and no longer fights like an insane person, but all the excitement is still there.

Gone from a maniac to a serious title contender.
Mama Clortho
the white ho
the white ho

Postby Mama Clortho on Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:38 am

He called Jon Jones a cunt twice on both the mma hour and Ariel’s show this morning.

For some reason I get a huge kick when foreigners use that word in the American marketplace.

My favourite thing he has done even!

Can’t wait for the fight with Whittaker.
Mama Clortho
the white ho
the white ho

Postby Ike on Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:54 am

Last three fights this past week were outstanding. Very few outrightly unlikable fighters, too, which was nice (please don't post some weird Trump shit with Pourier, let me have this).

I don't the Holloway lost as decisively the final tally told, though. He lost, yes, but he inflicted a lot of damage. He also bled like a stuck pig and got S H O O K a couple times.

Still my favorite fighter.

IT IS WHAT IT IS! HA!

Adesanya is outrageously exciting to watch. It's like watching real-time action films or something. He's bonks. Love him, love his attitude, love his entire family joining him after the win.

Khalil Rountree was the real star of the night, though. That was methodical, measured, and so fucking BRUTAL. Dude's leg was fuuuuuuuuucked up after like a minute.

Such a great night of fights!
Ike
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby Mama Clortho on Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:22 am

Really hyped on Marlon Moraes at the moment. Hope he fucks up Cejudo.

Ferguson/Cowboy should be great too obviously.
Mama Clortho
the white ho
the white ho

Postby TheMilford on Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:14 pm

Mama Clortho wrote:Really hyped on Marlon Moraes at the moment. Hope he fucks up Cejudo.

Ferguson/Cowboy should be great too obviously.

Womp womp.
TheMilford
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Mama Clortho on Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:45 pm

Yeah, what a bummer.

I kind of love to hate cejudo — I watch all his interviews and a shitty part of myself kind of gets off on it.

There was a 20 second fragment of his post fight press conference where talks about being the pound for pound greatest combat athlete of all time, being the face of the ufc and demanding heavyweight money. He reminded me of Pacino/scarface for a brief moment. Imagine Henry Cejudo with a serious cocaine problem.

Hell of a comeback/adjustment.
Mama Clortho
the white ho
the white ho

Postby Andrew. on Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:46 pm

Khabib says he's looking for a late December fight after Poirier in Sept. Obviously it should be Ferguson (assuming Khabib beats Poirier) but seems like various pundits are convinced Dana White is going to lock Ferguson out of a title shot. What a stupidly owner-controlled capitalist blood sport. I heard a recent Dan Henderson interview talking about his part in leading efforts to form a fighters' labor union. He talked about how hard it is to get fighters to understand solidarity, for all the obvious reasons. He was like SAG-AFTRA can do it, and so should we.

Meanwhile, professional commentators still don't pronounce Khabib's name right. The K is silent. It's Ha-beeb. Not hard, but it's such a dumb-ass white-bro culture even the professional commentators refuse to learn how to pronounce the name of one of the top-three world champions of the sport.

Such an ignorant culture. That's why I can appreciate the Nigerian/African pride of an Adesanya and the Jamaican pride of Aljamain (cornered by Longo, Serra, and Iaguinta!) and Cain's "Brown Pride." Ferguson: "They want to keep a brown man down." Or Andrade identifying as Indigenous. The international and racial politics of MMA are interesting. Likewise sex/gender dynamics w champion outspoken lesbian fighters like Nunes in a sea of white macho heteronormativity.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Christopher on Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:51 pm

Macho? This is still the "sport" where people get paid to beat the everloving shit out of each other, right? How can that ever not be inherently macho?

Please tell me I don't understand the nuances at play. Talk about the underlying grace of the form. Use the word "balletic."
I guitar Conformists.
Christopher
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby Andrew. on Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:10 pm

Christopher wrote:Macho? This is still the "sport" where people get paid to beat the everloving shit out of each other, right? How can that ever not be inherently macho?

Please tell me I don't understand the nuances at play. Talk about the underlying grace of the form. Use the word "balletic."

It's an explicitly right-wing macho sports-entertainment industry run by Trump boosters like Dana White. As president of the UFC -- or "The Bald One" as Eugene Robinson from Oxbow calls him -- years ago White infamously told reporters women would never compete in the UFC. FFW to today and tell me MMA champion and fan favorite Rose Namajunas is "macho." She's not. And she also doesn't really give a shit about being sexy to men. She's had her hair clippered for years. Her greatest non-fighting passion is gardening -- growing tomatoes and cucumbers and weed and whatever.

There are world-class athletes and social dynamics (struggles) within the sport of MMA that cut against the grain of the dumb-ass entertainment-industry bosses who run the show.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Ike on Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:53 am

Well, that was just about the best night of fights I can remember, outside of the Jones one.

I think Jones lost that fight, if only narrowly--I bet Santos blew his knee out.

The Askren/Masvidal fight was my everything. Nunes is a technician.

SUPERB WORK.

Havne't checked yet, is Askren actually still alive?
Ike
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby Mama Clortho on Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:42 pm

The entire Masvidal/Askren lead up, fight, outcome was an internet message board circa 2005 come to life.

Amazing

There are no words for the knockout itself.

Kind of hilarious how much more focused Jorge is after having that break and going on the jungle reality tv show. He said having no phone/distractions was really good for him.
Mama Clortho
the white ho
the white ho

Postby m3kcomp on Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:50 pm

Ike wrote:Well, that was just about the best night of fights I can remember, outside of the Jones one.

Agreed.

Nunes is everything they professed Rousey to be.

I honestly don't think that fight should have even been set, but I suppose Holm deserved a chance if she wanted it.

Looks like some decent fights coming up, too. There's been a long run of REALLY shitty PPVs...so let's see how this all turns out over the next four months.
m3kcomp
galloping gourmet
galloping gourmet

Postby Andrew. on Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:13 pm

Ike wrote:Well, that was just about the best night of fights I can remember, outside of the Jones one.

I think Jones lost that fight, if only narrowly--I bet Santos blew his knee out.

UFC 239 was the first time I've ever watched an MMA event at a bar and the first time I watched an MMA event w my girlfriend. Went surprisingly well.

I was still laughing an hour after Masvidal/Askren. Hours later. God how I laughed.

Nunes is obv the GOAT female MMA athlete, and also probably hard to market for the UFC as a down-to-earth Brazilian lesbian who doesn't give a shit about horny male eyes. She's knocked out every hot straight white American fighter the UFC can put in front of her, and Cyborg too. Dana White must hate it.

Jones/Santos was defensive and boring. My girlfriend had never watched an MMA fight in her life, but I'd given her the facts on Jones' record, and after the first round she was like, "I think Santos is winning. This undefeated Boney Joney is boring and defensive."

Santos' knee was wrecked as it turns out, like Ike said.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap