UFC

Crap
60%
Not Crap
40%

Total votes : 81

Re: UFC

Postby wellsyuk on Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:28 am

You don't want him to fight Jones - why on earth not? I'd love to see that.. this Stylebender is showing wankers like Colby and his MAGA hat how it should be done
wellsyuk
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby Ike on Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:48 am

wellsyuk wrote:You don't want him to fight Jones - why on earth not? I'd love to see that.. this Stylebender is showing wankers like Colby and his MAGA hat how it should be done

I think he'd get his head kicked off and I don't want to see that.

He'd need to put on like 20 pounds, too. I can't see him all muscled up and Barry Bonds'd out.
Ike
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby Andrew. on Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:49 am

Ike wrote:I think he'd get his head kicked off and I don't want to see that.

He'd need to put on like 20 pounds, too. I can't see him all muscled up and Barry Bonds'd out.

Yeah, Jones walks around at like 225 or something. Izzy seems to hardly cut to make 185. He's way smaller.

I don't find his ego annoying at all, meanwhile. He's more self-aware than most fighters in terms of how he's perceived and oddly unpretentious, despite his bombast. He's a proud anime and comic geek who says one of the reasons he loves Deadpool is because he's "effeminate." He knows he has a weird, goofy personality. But the way he honors his parents, family, and coach is unimpeachable. He's got the GSP thing of being someone who was bullied as a kid, plus someone who experienced racism his whole life as a tall skinny black kid in New Zealand.

It's funny how people love to hate him and dismissed him as a hype train who was too skinny, etc. He annoys all the macho bros and he enjoys it. He's a proud weirdo.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Andrew. on Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:49 am

dblpost
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby wellsyuk on Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:07 pm

I'm not so sure. Perhaps Jones could slim down to his weight, especially as he's cleaned out his weight of fighters anyway. It was a great night for the Kiwis that's for sure, Dan Hooker was good too.
wellsyuk
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby Andrew. on Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:18 pm

wellsyuk wrote:I'm not so sure. Perhaps Jones could slim down to his weight, especially as he's cleaned out his weight of fighters anyway. It was a great night for the Kiwis that's for sure, Dan Hooker was good too.

Adesanya needs to clean out the middleweight division and that's exactly what he says he's going to do before taking on Jones in 2021. Says he's going to defend the title very actively and has "a bunch of killers" he needs to take out before moving up fwiw.

He's basically the ideal UFC champion: singular, hugely watchable and a consummate entertainer, gets better w every fight, happy to do media but nonchalant about it, *well behaved outside the cage*, in his prime, inherently international, and eager to fight often. The UFC does not deserve him in any way, shape, or form.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby wellsyuk on Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:10 am

Can't argue with that. Yeah the Trump UFC (Dana, Colby, Askren et al) are too basic for that talent
wellsyuk
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby bishopdante on Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:37 am

TFC is very popular in eastern europe, particularly Poland.

Team Fighting Champtionship.

Basically the same as UFC rules, except it's five ppl fighting five ppl, and the winner is determined by knocking out the entire opposition team, and is often concluded by four guys stamping on the head of one remaining opponent who is rolling around on the floor in agony.

Easily one of the ugliest sports I've ever encountered.

Evidence.
https://youtu.be/PqcWgQcBi-I

yipes / "kurva" https://youtu.be/g7gEZ1Ux-ns
Code: Select all
01100011 01101111 01101110 01100111 01110010 01100001 01110100 01110101 01101100 01100001 01110100 01101001 01101111 01101110 01110011
bishopdante
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby wellsyuk on Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:04 pm

Idiots, and that's not the same rules as UFC at all. They're kicking and stamping the head whilst people are down - and striking to the back of the head which is also illegal in UFC. Let alone several people doing that to one person, which really is taking the piss.
wellsyuk
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby yaledelay on Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:09 pm

Crap.
yaledelay
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Mama Clortho on Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:37 pm

Actual baddest motherfucker in the entire fucking game fighting this weekend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZbrnE51XW4
Mama Clortho
the white ho
the white ho

Postby wellsyuk on Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:13 am

Great card, being UK-based I always have to watch it the next day/evening so trying to avoid spoilers is damn near impossible
wellsyuk
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:09 pm

In case it interests anyone.

[The Documentary Podcast] Cameroon's MMA champion #theDocumentaryPodcast
http://podplayer.net/?id=86050230 via @PodcastAddict
maintain a healthy foe list
A_Man_Who_Tries
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby Angus Jung on Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:23 pm

UFC fighter Kevin Lee posts pro-Bernie Sanders message on Instagram after victory.

Apparently Lee was an underdog in this fight, and the dude he put to sleep is a MAGA/Trump guy.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Ike on Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:40 pm

It was one of the most impressive, GNARLY knockouts I've ever seen. Totally glorious.

Or ended up glorious. For a second there I thought I'd witnessed an actual DEATH occur.

Kevin Lee, Detroit resident, is fucking awesome!

The MAGA chuds keep getting their asses handed to them (except Masvidal, whom I assume is kinda putting on a bit with his "politics").

This is the worst sport! I love it!
Ike
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby Andrew. on Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:48 pm

Ike wrote:It was one of the most impressive, GNARLY knockouts I've ever seen. Totally glorious.

Or ended up glorious. For a second there I thought I'd witnessed an actual DEATH occur.

Kevin Lee, Detroit resident, is fucking awesome!

The MAGA chuds keep getting their asses handed to them (except Masvidal, whom I assume is kinda putting on a bit with his "politics").

This is the worst sport! I love it!

Seemed like Trump got booed as loudly or even louder than he got cheered.

Only fighter to shout-out Trump that I know of was Derrick Lewis ("The Black Beast" is a lovable stoner goofball but he should know better than that).

Sometimes my partner and I watch the fights at a local sports bar that gets packed on popular fight nights, w the twist that the crowd includes lots of Indigenous people (my partner included).

Lots of MMA "casuals" but a very working class, multi-racial crowd. On Saturday almost everyone seemed to be team Diaz. A big chubby native guy at a circular 10-person hightop table next to our booth asked me who I was going for. I said I liked both as fighters but I was pretty sure Masvidal would win (as per the betting odds) and that if I was honest I was rooting for Street Jesus.

Guy agreed w me and exploded against his friend two seats over about how said friend had bet his money on Diaz without consulting him. He then heckled his friend throughout the fight, blow by blow.

On a spectrum, how would people place the rightwing-ed-ness of pro sports in the USA? Like NASCAR, UFC, NFL.... or how does it go?
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Mama Clortho on Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:41 pm

Mama Clortho wrote:Actual baddest motherfucker in the entire fucking game fighting this weekend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZbrnE51XW4

I should stop doing this.

Ike wrote:This is the worst sport!

I don’t mean to single you out, Ike, but i kind of see this as a bunch of bullshit.

Basically, whenever I tell someone I’m going to watch or love the UFC, I feel something resembling shame and a cowardly need to qualify my love. Let the person know I’m self aware and am not like all the other fans.

In a lot of ways I’m assuming this person has the prejudices for the sport I did prior to realising it is the best sport.

I hate myself for it.

It is the best sport. All the other shit is bullshit.

(TBH, I even really like Dana as a Vince McMahon like figurehead. He’s fucking good at it. There is a 5 year old in me that likes it for different reasons than the 37 year old in me.)
Mama Clortho
the white ho
the white ho

Postby nihil on Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:57 pm

Andrew. wrote:On a spectrum, how would people place the rightwing-ed-ness of pro sports in the USA? Like NASCAR, UFC, NFL.... or how does it go?

From my vantage point (Missouri), off the spectrum. An overwhelming majority of racist morons that are covered from head to bumper sticker in sports team brands that cheer like children when military jets fly over the stadium.

This is just my observation, and really not that surprising, but half of them don't even seem to understand the sport they are cheering for.
nihil
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby Ike on Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:08 pm

Mama!

I appreciate the candor here about it. I grapple...wrestle?...with this thing that I spend not a small amount of time thinking about, and why I spend so much time.

I think it is how you came to the sport, I suppose. I loved wrestling in school, and I've enjoyed studying martial arts on and off for a few years. Never took to boxing or pro wrestling, so those angles didn't snare me. But something about it obv does (in spite of being intensely skeeved out by violence in general).

It's tough to defend bloodsports. We may actually see someone die one day in the ring (it's happened in boxing), and that's deeply ghoulish. Yet here I am, continue to follow it as if it was a soap opera.

Trump has fucked with the sport immeasurably, and I would argue far more than any other sport. The Co-Main Event dudes talk about it a lot, particularly when a Trump Chud gets creamed (See: Gillespie). Shit, when Cody Covington gets his head ripped off in Dec. I will shout at the moon. Admittedly I don't follow any other sports closely these days, but I don't remember even remotely giving a shit about that at all when I did.
Ike
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby Andrew. on Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:54 am

Ike wrote:It's tough to defend bloodsports. We may actually see someone die one day in the ring (it's happened in boxing), and that's deeply ghoulish.

Boxing is much deadlier bc of the head trauma. MMA is bloodier but less lethal. Apparently there's an average of 13 deaths a year in boxing (4 so far in 2019). The fatality rate in boxing is on par with or lower than in racing sports, mountaineering, etc, according to this article: https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/17/sport/bo ... index.html

Here's a list of MMA fatalities: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatalitie ... s_contests
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap