UFC

Crap
61%
Not Crap
39%

Total votes : 83

Re: UFC

Postby Mama Clortho on Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:01 pm

Pretty blown away Jorge has taken it. Usman is not the kind of a dude you want a short notice fight with. Maybe Jorge is even more confident and better than we know. Yeah he obviously has gotten paid, but if he loses it doesn’t look good — everything he has built crumbles. Yet he seems completely at ease.
Mama Clortho
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby Ike on Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:24 pm

Jorge is gonna get wrestled to death. Blood feud! There's no way he's been training rigorously enough to hang for five rounds.

I'm here for this fight!
Ike
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby wellsyuk on Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:58 am

Yeah I'm glad this fight has panned out that's great. Despite his clearly big bollocks, I can't see Jorge taking Usman at this short notice.
wellsyuk
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby Andrew. on Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:44 am

Getting paid right seems more important than winning for Jorge, and if he loses a covid-times title challenge in Abdu Dhabi against a wrestler, taken on 6 days notice, I don't think it affects his standing or popularity.

I'm probably looking fwd to Rose vs Andrade even more than the main event TBH.
Andrew.
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Ike on Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:22 pm

Andrew. wrote:Getting paid right seems more important than winning for Jorge, and if he loses a covid-times title challenge in Abdu Dhabi against a wrestler, taken on 6 days notice, I don't think it affects his standing or popularity.

I'm probably looking fwd to Rose vs Andrade even more than the main event TBH.

I am actually worried about that Rose/Andrade fight. The last one fucked me up, man. Love Rose a lot, so much so that I don't want to know any more about her than I already do.
Ike

Postby Andrew. on Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:05 pm

I hear you. If Rose gets slammed on the back of her head again, it will be a dark night, but I have faith she won't let that happen.

Another classic moment of Dominick Cruz commentary there. "Rose has the kimura. Andrade cannot lift her and slam her if she keeps the kimura. Andrade cannot do it." Rose holds onto the kimura and Andrade lifts her up and slams her on her head, knocking Rose out but luckily not breaking her neck.

Breakdown: https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/ufc-23 ... 10077.html
Andrew.

Postby Andrew. on Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:26 am

I'm more worried about Max than Rose. Says he had no in-person camp whatsoever. According to him the first time he saw his coaches in person was at the airport to Las Vegas. First camp ever he did zero sparring. It will be stunning if he beats Volkanovski.
Andrew.

Postby Ike on Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:46 pm

Andrew. wrote:I'm more worried about Max than Rose. Says he had no in-person camp whatsoever. According to him the first time he saw his coaches in person was at the airport to Las Vegas. First camp ever he did zero sparring. It will be stunning if he beats Volkanovski.

I don't buy that for a second! Part of his charm is his Loki-like ability to fuck around with people--DC said he's been having regular BJJ coaches coming over to his home gym on Helwani yesterday. But I agree with you about the worry. Max takes SO MUCH DAMAGE, and Volkanovski sure does dish it out. Totally feeling that.

Here's what I spent my entire time mowing the lawn thinking about today.

Khabib's dad passes on and reportedly Khabib is in sincere, deep mourning (as anyone would be). In a total K-hole with MMA shit this week so I've listened to, oh, about 10 podcasts, and in 4 of them they mentioned concern over Khabib making the fight in Sept. vs Gaethje. DC outright said, "I don't see how he'll be able to do it."

SO!!!! That's shitty for Khabib. Fucking sucks. Just got off the phone with my own dad relating so some super bad health shit, it fucking sucks.

GAETHJE VS. CONOR IN SEPT. That's what I'm saying. Gaethje bricks Conor in the 3rd round.

The fights this weekend are gonna be TIGHT, buds.

Picks for main card?

Usman over Masvidal.

Volkanovski LOSES to Holloway in 5.

Rose absolutely fucking smashes Andrade (whom I like a lot, too, mind you).

Aldo pulls off the upset!!!!

Van Zandt doesn't make it to round two.
Ike

Postby Andrew. on Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:09 am

Here for Justin vs Conor if it happens, obviously.

I like your take on Max and his camp. That he's goofing, but all the MMA journalists/commentators are just taking him straight at his word. At first i assumed he was joking when he said his training was over Zoom. And then I was like oh shit he's serious. But maybe not!

I also see people saying Max hasn't processed his loss seriously, which is a concern. He dismissed Volk's low leg kicks as harmless, but they arguably kept Max from being able to set up and get working, and Volk won the fight unambiguously.

Rooting for Max but don't like his chances.

I don't know what Jorge's path to victory would be against Usman. Doesn't have much of a shot, and now that he's come out proud as a MAGA guy (sigh), it will be easier to watch him get smashed.

I'd pick Yan over Aldo, like the betting odds say. Both Max and Jose are +180(ish) underdogs.

Also like Andrade but will be rooting for Rose big time. UFC is so macho and reactionary culturally, but look at these two. An Indigenous lesbian who wears a headdress into the ring and a super-sensitive woman with a brush cut who travels to world championship fistfights with an emotional support dog. What other major sport has champs like that?
Andrew.

Postby Ike on Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:55 am

Max won that fight.
Ike

Postby Mama Clortho on Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:30 am

Yeah, he did.