Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Gang of Four?

Crap
5%
Not Crap
95%

Total votes : 133

Postby Severance Package on Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:05 am

I got to hear a promo copy of the new Gang of Four album at work today, and I have to say that my feelings on it are mixed. On one hand, I'm happy because the performances on it were pretty good. I'd been thinking for awhile that the album was going to suck, but it's clearly their best since "Songs of the Free."

Still, I'm disappointed that the whole album is just rerecordings of their classic songs. It's decent but pointless, unless it was just them saying, "we're back, forget about the bad taste of the last couple reunion records." Wire did a great job at coming back and creating new and interesting material. I would have liked to have seen Gang of Four do the same, especially since it's the original lineup.

Although I'll always respect Gang of Four, I just can't stop thinking how ironic their new "old songs revisited" album is coming from a band that used to sing about nostalgia being no good.
Severance Package
ward boss
ward boss

Postby xero on Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:35 am

See, I didn't like the three rerecorded songs I heard AT ALL. I found them boringly nu-metalish. Jon King's voice has changed noticeably and though it's not actually bad, it definitely isn't what it was either. I admit that my opinion is colored by years of thinking that the originals of songs like "Natural's Not In It" and "Damaged Goods" are basically unimprovable.

I'm disappointed that the whole album is just rerecordings of their classic songs. It's decent but pointless, unless it was just them saying, "we're back, forget about the bad taste of the last couple reunion records."

Actually I think it's them saying "Hi, we used to be incredibly great (although we kind of lost the plot about 23 years ago) so please give us $20 in lieu of an actual cut of the careers of Big Black, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Fugazi, the Rapture, Bloc Party, Liars, the Futureheads, etc., etc., etc. Thanks." In a way it's hard to argue with such a stance. I can also imagine that it would be difficult creatively to find a way to deal with a consensus that you basically hit it out of the park on the first try and that little or nothing else you did ever equalled it.

Wire did a great job at coming back and creating new and interesting material. I would have liked to have seen Gang of Four do the same, especially since it's the original lineup.

Me too.

Although I'll always respect them, I just can't stop thinking how ironic their new "old songs revisited" album is coming from a band that used to sing about nostalgia being no good.

I can't say I particularly respect them, but it'd still be impossible for me to vote CRAP.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit:

Since hearing a few more of the rerecorded songs, I find that it is indeed possible for me to vote CRAP, and so I have.
xero
utility man
utility man

Postby Richard on Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:48 am

Not quite as good as PiL. N/C
condoms filled with frog bollocks and sawdust
Richard
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby ctrl-s on Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:57 pm

*sigh*

I voted Not Crap (again; I used to be "xero"), so my cumulative vote is 66.7% Incredible Unfuckwithable Ever-Awesome Mindblowing Life-Changing Not Crap (1978-1982), 33.3% Nightmarish Vile Horrible Indefensible Violent-Impulse-And-Nausea-Inducing Crap (1983-present), which may still be overly charitable but I think I'd better leave it at that.
ctrl-s
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby rocker654 on Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:08 pm

I somehow acquired a February 2005 rehearsal tape, and found it to be very encouraging. I "discovered" the joys of Gang of Four and Wire at about the same time in 1981. Entertainment and Solid Gold are excellent (yes I did have to buy the 2 different 2-fers, but I don't mind.

I must admit that I've always wanted to tune Andy Gill's guitar for him on the opening notes of "Paralyzed". The rehearsal tape had him playing those notes in tune.

Very much Not Crap.
rocker654
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby a. james on Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:37 am

changed the world of rock guitar over time. not crap.

i wish entertainment didn't sound like it does, but you can't have everything.

not crap.
Marsupialized wrote:I am NOT sorry I yelled. I should have yelled louder.
a. james
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby fancyjamtime on Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:21 am

Not Crap for first 3 albums and the Peel Sessions.

I bought "Hard" the first day it came out when I was in college and was so fucking pissed off that I threw the record out of my dorm window.

Embarrassing revelation: "Is It Love?" has grown on my over the years. Check out the video if you haven't. Not crap for it's overbearing cheesiness. Also, I have a thing for Sara Lee looking 80's new wave chicks.

Kept me from beating off to Pat Benitar...

Decent 2000 solo record, plus was good in The League of Gentlemen
Buster Bluth wrote:No mother, I can blow myself! You've interfered for the last time!
fancyjamtime
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby a. james on Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:29 am

fancyjamtime wrote:Also, I have a thing for Sara Lee looking 80's new wave chicks...Kept me from beating off to Pat Benitar...

not the first time a guy beat off to a lesbian, i guess.
a. james

Postby fancyjamtime on Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:08 am

Not the first time I've beaten off to a lesbian this week...
Buster Bluth wrote:No mother, I can blow myself! You've interfered for the last time!
fancyjamtime
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby SecondEdition on Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:48 am

Like PiL, I think of Gang of Four as two different bands: the one that recorded two classic LP's/two classic EP's and another band that produced mostly crap (some songs on Songs of the Free are ok).

Entertainment! was blasting in my car this morning and I was singing along. Solid Gold is one of my favorite LP's. That's all.

Plus Andy Gill told me his equipment setup over email once which is fucking awesome.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition

Postby a. james on Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:19 pm

SecondEdition wrote:Plus Andy Gill told me his equipment setup over email once which is fucking awesome.

care to repeat that? not like say that again, but tell us what he told you.
a. james

Postby Antero on Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:25 am

that damned fly wrote:
SecondEdition wrote:Plus Andy Gill told me his equipment setup over email once which is fucking awesome.

Seconded.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Sly Bug on Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:14 am

NC - but I only know Entertainment! and Solid gold.
Sylvain
---------
Stella Peel
Sly Bug
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby tommydski on Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:24 am

That's the only two records you need.
run joe run wrote:Kerble your enthusiasm
tommydski
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby SecondEdition on Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:21 am

Antero wrote:
that damned fly wrote:

Seconded.

basically, he told me what amps he used: Carlsbro Stingray, Carlsbro Pro. Built-in effects, solid state. No effects pedals.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition

Postby mfpole on Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:49 pm

My Dad's a big GoF fan, so during long car rides we would blast 100 Flowers Bloom and A Brief History of the Twentieth Century as our family music. Yeah, when I was eight I grew a taste for "Is it Love?" that hasn't quite gone away, I still kinda like it. He always took the last two albums as them basically mocking disco, which I always thought would be the more Gang of Fourish thing to do.

"Anthrax" is probably my favorite song by them. I can get into that bass line so much. Its like a post punk version of the VU's "The Gift".

This band has so many good songs, in so many different ways. I could list them, but I would probably be better off listing the sucky ones. Don't skip the EP's, To Hell with Poverty is a classic, and sometimes I just get Its Her Factory nitched into my skull.

Im done, Not Crap if you couldn't figure out by now.
mfpole
busher
busher

Postby Chromodynamic on Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:40 pm

Before today the only song of theirs I had heard was, "Anthrax", I checked out Entertainment! from the library - quite an amazing CD. They don't have Solid Gold at the library but I am ready to declare Gang of Four not crap.
Chromodynamic
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby geezerjpj on Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:43 pm

I dig Gang of Four. I love the bass playing and it's been hugely influential on my own playing.

I remember a bass player interview with Flea(who I'm not at all a fan of...though he is supposed to be an incredibly nice guy) where he was asked to recommend records that featured good bass playing for the zine's beginner players. He recommended Solid Gold and Entertainment plus a few by other bands. I give him props for that.

I overdid it as far as listening to them and rarely do so now a days. Too many 20 something wankers are into them these days and though it shouldn't be the case, this is a turn off.

Just about everybody seems to have copped Andy Gill's guitar style. I esp. hate Bloc Party who owe a lot of their sound to them without committing a wholesale ripoff the way Interpol does Joy Division or the way LCD SoundSystem does with every other good 80's band.

But gang of 4 is def. not crap.
"I am going to put myself to sleep now for a bit longer than usual. Call it Eternity" Jerzy Kosinski

New band....Popped Blimp

we need a singer(and to tighten up)
geezerjpj
tv clown
tv clown

Postby gjp on Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:52 pm

Great band.

Not crap.
Last edited by gjp on Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gjp

Postby Dr. Geek on Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:59 am

First two albums are solid. Gold.

Everything else. Pleft!

Still, NOT CRAP.
My Radio Show: Hex Enduction Hours On 91.3 FM KXCI Tucson - Recent Playlists

Bringing you the best punk, post-punk, and noise rock from the US/UK and beyond! Every Thursday midnight to 3AM MST (stream online at http://www.kxci.org)
Dr. Geek
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap