home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Band: Minor threat

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Crap or not crap

CRAP
14
14%
NOT CRAP
83
86%
 
Total votes : 97

Band: Minor threat

Postby Chris Hardings on Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:19 pm

Can't believe this band is not up here yet. at least i couldn't find it.
Chris Hardings
More implosion lest I need, no wait, karowack need imposter

Band>
A Strange Film - Rence or Ramos (ignore)
Chris Hardings
howard shore
howard shore
 
Posts: 328
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:38 pm

Postby ikilledfredmertz on Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:04 am

not crap
User avatar
ikilledfredmertz
secretary of the interior
secretary of the interior
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:35 pm
Location: Muscle Shoals, AL

Postby Run Around on Fire on Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:16 am

i have to say CRAP. i hope at least one other person sides with me on this one.

by the way, i love ian m. and i love fugazi. minor threat's stuff just bores me and it doesn't "amp me up" the way i guess its supposed to (not that i want to participate in slam dancing or scene wars or anything).

it just all seems jock-ish and meatheaded to me, even though i guess it was supposed to be reaction aginst that. (forgive me for being born in 1981 and perhaps not "getting it" like i should).
User avatar
Run Around on Fire
assclown
assclown
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:11 am
Location: Lynchburg, VA

Postby toomanyhelicopters on Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:32 am

Run Around on Fire wrote:forgive me for being born in 1981 and perhaps not "getting it" like i should


BING!

it's like the recent discussion of Blade Runner. if you take it out of context, if you look at it by today's standards, it might look kinda funky. but if you consider the reality of 20 years ago...
LVP wrote:If, say, 10% of lions tried to kill gazelles, compared with 10% of savannah animals in general, I think that gazelle would be a lousy racist jerk.
User avatar
toomanyhelicopters
priss
 
Posts: 5080
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:58 am

Postby wiggins on Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:22 am

n/c

their discography is still relevant to 7th-8th graders, and at the very least pleasantly nostalgic for older listeners, and, if youre lucky, it will lead to a broader range of taste, if they're inclined to look futher into what they did afterwards, who they played with and what THEY did afterwards, etc.

i work at a cd warehouse in a snooty upper-middle class neighborhood and we keep stuff like this stocked to say "hey kid, dont touch that slipknot cd, buy this instead." minor threat, bad brains 'black dots', all the fugazi cds, explosions in the sky, 90 day men 'it is it', slint spiderland, all don caballero's cds... all that stuff we keep in stock specifically to sell to kids to get them started.

just thursday i convinced a 15 year old with long black hair and a black sabbath shirt to buy 'Repeater' over green day's dookie with little-to-no effort.

the best is when you get a young girl to put back her "50 first dates" dvd and buy John Zorn's Electric Masada.

so yeah, not crap. its what got me here, it will get kids here (eventually) for years and years and years to come.
User avatar
wiggins
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles
 
Posts: 1097
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:53 am
Location: Atlanta

Postby endofanera on Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:21 am

Run Around on Fire wrote:it just all seems jock-ish and meatheaded to me, even though i guess it was supposed to be reaction aginst that. (forgive me for being born in 1981 and perhaps not "getting it" like i should).

Yeah, I think youre totally missing the point, and the fact that you were an infant back then prolly doesnt help it make any more sense. Get the DVD, it might help put it all in context a little, or at least show how they werent jockish or meatheaded, and were also smart and actually often kinda funny.

Minor Threat is on the short list of the most utterly NON-CRAP for me.
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt
User avatar
endofanera
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
 
Posts: 5159
Joined: Fri May 07, 2004 2:57 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Postby Macho Man Angry_Dragon on Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:11 pm

How can they not amp someone up?
A good way to threaten somebody is to light a stick of dynamite. Then you call the guy and hold the burning fuse up to the phone. "Hear that?" you say. "That's dynamite, baby." - Jack Handy
User avatar
Macho Man Angry_Dragon
head intern
head intern
 
Posts: 243
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD

Postby horsewhip on Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:17 pm

Probably the least crap band of all time. I loved them when I was 15, and and I still love them at 23. I'll probably still love them at 60. Undeniable energy, and some of the catchiest melodies ever in hardcore punk.

Plus, they broke up before they started to suck.

Minor Threat rule, OK?
horsewhip
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir
 
Posts: 1534
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:29 am

Postby Dylan on Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:43 am

Run Around on Fire wrote:i have to say CRAP. i hope at least one other person sides with me on this one.

by the way, i love ian m. and i love fugazi. minor threat's stuff just bores me and it doesn't "amp me up" the way i guess its supposed to (not that i want to participate in slam dancing or scene wars or anything).

it just all seems jock-ish and meatheaded to me, even though i guess it was supposed to be reaction aginst that. (forgive me for being born in 1981 and perhaps not "getting it" like i should).

The music doesn't do it for me, either, but I'm still going to go with NOT CRAP. It's just a cool thing to see people get into to dismiss it as CRAP. I don't need to listen to it, though. I'll take Fugazi any day of the week.
Dylan
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
 
Posts: 1958
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 8:56 pm
Location: The Square

Postby toomanyhelicopters on Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:57 am

even on "The Argument" day? :wink:
LVP wrote:If, say, 10% of lions tried to kill gazelles, compared with 10% of savannah animals in general, I think that gazelle would be a lousy racist jerk.
User avatar
toomanyhelicopters
priss
 
Posts: 5080
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:58 am

Postby Dylan on Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:00 am

toomanyhelicopters wrote:even on "The Argument" day? :wink:

Hell yes, on The Argument day. Loved it.
Dylan
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
 
Posts: 1958
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 8:56 pm
Location: The Square

Postby horsewhip on Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:43 am

Dylan wrote:Hell yes, on The Argument day. Loved it.


The Argument is one of Fugazi's finest albums, IMO.
horsewhip
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir
 
Posts: 1534
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:29 am

Postby endofanera on Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:50 am

horsewhip wrote:
Dylan wrote:Hell yes, on The Argument day. Loved it.

The Argument is one of Fugazi's finest albums, IMO.

That makes three of us.
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt
User avatar
endofanera
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
 
Posts: 5159
Joined: Fri May 07, 2004 2:57 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Postby toomanyhelicopters on Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:10 pm

i been listening to it quite a bit lately. i think it's got some definite weaknesses to it. like the production is really clean and tame. and the tempos, mostly they sound the same, and just a little too slow for brendan to open up on them. perfect for the strings, but a little slow for the drums to really shine. and the inclusion of, what is that, cello or something? and the whistling. the freakin whistling is AWFUL! and that some of the finest elements to it are retreads of old fugazi songs. and it just sounds a little tired. which would make sense, what with them having been doing it for so long and all.

Dylan, i wanna call freudian slip on you though. "loved it". very past tense. very discontinued-sounding.

when i first listened to the Argument, i was like, "hrm". and i gave it a couple listens, and was pretty non-plussed. and i shelved it for, well i guess it's almost 3 years now. and i've been listening a bunch lately, probably on my third time through, digesting it and all. i wanna say like 3 songs that are pretty cool, and then several that are alright. but it definitely doesn't shake me up like their older stuff did.
LVP wrote:If, say, 10% of lions tried to kill gazelles, compared with 10% of savannah animals in general, I think that gazelle would be a lousy racist jerk.
User avatar
toomanyhelicopters
priss
 
Posts: 5080
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:58 am

Postby Dylan on Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:42 pm

toomanyhelicopters wrote:Dylan, i wanna call freudian slip on you though. "loved it". very past tense. very discontinued-sounding.

Come visit me in the Fugazi thread, won't you?
Dylan
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
 
Posts: 1958
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 8:56 pm
Location: The Square

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Thu May 25, 2006 11:18 pm

I said offhandedly to somebody recently that I didn't think Minor Threat's music had aged as well as the other great hardcore bands of the day, particularly Die Kreuzen and Bad Brains. I may have been right, ultimately, but it occurred to me that I might have spoken too soon--it had been a long time since I'd listened to any Minor Threat.

So on the way to Louisville last week, I listened to the band's Complete Discography. Here's what I decided then.

Their self-titled EP sounds mired in its time. I enjoyed listening to it and was surprised at how many of the songs I knew by heart, but only the slow-down in "Screaming at a Wall" really blew me away. It's no better or worse than a lot of the stuff released back then.

"Stand Up" is a weak cut, and it's no wonder it was banished to a compilation. "12XU," however, was an inspired cover, and I gotta thank the boys in the band for hipping me to Wire.

"In My Eyes" might be the best, most ferocious single performance of the band's recorded output. When the drums kick into double-time during the intro--and what a weird, wonderful intro it is--it kills me every time. Then they slow it back down before the singing starts--brilliant. The rest of that EP is solid, but "In My Eyes" fucking rules.

Out of Step is better than I remembered. Improved production, fuller guitars, and little touches (a little wah-wah here, some echo on the vocals there) make for a very listenable record. The lyrics can get a bit preachy and abstract, but the humor helps, as does the fact that the songs are expertly arranged. This is hardcore taken to its logical end; there was nowhere left to go, as the band seems to have realized--to their enduring credit.

But they had one last single in them. The Standells cover is cool, if only to hear acoustic guitar on a Minor Threat song, and "Salad Days" is the perfect last word from this most reflective of punk rock bands. Who else would liken his clothes to a suit?--the kind of clothes your mother dresses you up in for church. That bell tolling at the onset is the death knell of the hardcore era, which makes it even cooler that the song's so upbeat, so forgiving. What a gracious, graceful final bow.

Minor Threat is not crap, and better now than I thought they'd be. Check 'em out.
User avatar
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero
 
Posts: 6808
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:04 am
Location: Western Kentucky

Postby Christopher_Dragon on Fri May 26, 2006 12:32 am

I have wanted to cover "Salad Days" for many years. That is easily the best Minor Threat song.
NOT CRAP
Bradley R. Weissenberger wrote:Shin guards for all!
User avatar
Christopher_Dragon
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
 
Posts: 2618
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:31 am
Location: Logan's Run

Postby Mazec on Fri May 26, 2006 1:20 am

As mentioned above, not very awesome music. Also ushered in a movement of self-rightneous goody-goodies that has not yet pissed off fully to this day.

Not an auspicious beginning for a man who would later found Fugazi. Glad he got his shit straight at some point along the line.
User avatar
Mazec
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
 
Posts: 2444
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:57 am
Location: Hamburg

Postby Chapter Two on Fri May 26, 2006 2:30 am

Is a post of the duoz. Very sorry, very sorry. Is mistake.
Last edited by Chapter Two on Fri May 26, 2006 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Chapter Two
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
 
Posts: 3785
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:10 pm
Location: middlesbrough cleveland england

Postby Chapter Two on Fri May 26, 2006 2:31 am

Fucking brilliant, always. Nothing better when you just need to hit the ground running.

WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUUU!!!???
User avatar
Chapter Two
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
 
Posts: 3785
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:10 pm
Location: middlesbrough cleveland england

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dipsophonic, Google [Bot], ImDADA, tallchris, Tommy and 18 guests