Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Crap or not crap

CRAP
14%
NOT CRAP
86%

Total votes : 97

Postby sunlore on Fri May 26, 2006 6:58 am

Minor Thread is my favorite hardcore band. In fact, I would RANK!!! these Minor Thread above most of the Fugazi stuff.

But really, you haters wouldn't tell shit from apple butter, would you? I bought my first MT record in '90, so I call BS on all that "see it in the context" stuff. And honestly, who gives a shit about a few production issues?

Jesus Fuck, that was a great band. Not crap.
sunlore
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby motorbike guy on Fri May 26, 2006 8:35 am

Maybe you had to be there, but i would guess the reason that minor threat sounds jocky and meatheaded to you now is because the jocks and meatheads sort of infiltrated the scene in the mid to late 80s.

there was a fine balance between metal lovers, punk rockers, anarchists, etc that gave birth to the circa '82 minor threat, circle jerks, ssd, negative approach, black flag, angry samoans, FUs, gang green, bad brains, government issue, etc. scene.

Some of those bands learned to play better, the drummers got tired of playing fast, some of them got tired of politics, some of them allowed their inner Angus Young and Sabbath to show through a little more, and they drifted towards metal. SSD is the best example, although Brian Baker could serve as well. Because of where they are, the DC bands did not give up politics so soon. But also, the straight edge thing kind of morphed into a weightlifing/punk jock thing, and then it just all kind of dissipated. See Henry Rollins. At the same time, alot of these bands were running out of ideas, which happens.

Anyways. MT is def. not crap. not even now. And to be 17 in 1982, and to see the power of the music and the sense of kids doing it the way they wanted, for each other, without regard (seemingly) for a "career in rock" was a great awakening for me. Having only seen arena shows (the cars, aerosmith) when I walked into the channel on a sunday afternoon and it was filled with kids my age, and all the bands (Angry Sams, SSD, DYS) were my age, and they played loud and fiercly and preached and entertained and put on a fuckin' show. (Springa with the pig's head for "Police Beat") Man. No wonder I skipped my girlfriend's High School graduation party to see Minor Threat. I'm still glad i did.
John Brannon wrote:check it out i have rules for the band: no smiles, no shorts, and your're wearing fucking boots on stage
motorbike guy

Postby BClark on Fri May 26, 2006 9:12 am

CRAP for launching something so absurd as the "straight edge" movement. if someone were to truly do away with material attachments, as straight-edgers claim to do, then they would most likely end up as a peaceful buddhist or something along those lines, not as an excessively noisy hardcore punk band (for the record, there are bands such as bad brains that do not fall into this category of excessively noisy hardcore punk bands).
BClark
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby 154 on Fri May 26, 2006 9:19 am

"In My Eyes" might be the best, most ferocious single performance of the band's recorded output. When the drums kick into double-time during the intro--and what a weird, wonderful intro it is--it kills me every time. Then they slow it back down before the singing starts--brilliant. The rest of that EP is solid, but "In My Eyes" fucking rules.

this is dead on. i also love the extra sloppy guitar playing when it speeds up. it's what Void wanted to be.

Minor Threat is essential for anyone interested in understanding punk rock. even its 'flaws' seem necessary, if that makes sense. NOT CRAP!
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby motorbike guy on Fri May 26, 2006 9:36 am

BClark wrote:CRAP for launching something so absurd as the "straight edge" movement. if someone were to truly do away with material attachments, as straight-edgers claim to do, then they would most likely end up as a peaceful buddhist or something along those lines, not as an excessively noisy hardcore punk band (for the record, there are bands such as bad brains that do not fall into this category of excessively noisy hardcore punk bands).

I saw it as a call for kids to FUCKIN THINK rather than just blindly drinkin beers and smokin J's like everybody else was doing. I don't think it had anything to do with material possessions, just being smart about getting fucked up and questioning peer pressure. A perfect message for 16-18 year old kids.

It was co-opted and twisted, and sort of got out of control, but (i have obviously had the ian mackaye kool aide) i think the spirit was admirable in the beginning. I saw some of my friends who were probably on their way to being typical post high school stoner/losers start to steer a different course after the point was made. that can't be a bad thing.

Never worked on me, tho. I liked the weed too much....
John Brannon wrote:check it out i have rules for the band: no smiles, no shorts, and your're wearing fucking boots on stage
motorbike guy

Postby Chapter Two on Fri May 26, 2006 9:48 am

Chapter Two wrote:Okay, I'll take the bait.

Minor Threat didn't start the whole trend of Straight Edge. The responsibility lies with those people that worshipped Ian Mackay as a role model and attempted to create an identity from this individual's one or two songs that outlined his particular stance on alcohol, drugs and casual sex. If you want to blame any one band for the whole horrible hitler-youth type mess that was straight edge, blame Youth of Today. And as far as their chugga-chugga thing goes, as far as I'm aware, no-one was taking punk rock to that fast and direct a sound before them.
Chapter Two
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby warmowski on Fri May 26, 2006 10:07 am

Run Around on Fire wrote:it just all seems jock-ish and meatheaded to me, even though i guess it was supposed to be reaction aginst that. (forgive me for being born in 1981 and perhaps not "getting it" like i should).

Wow. I had no idea the universe worked this way.

This is not an attack - I assume RROF's reaction is honest and rather than wonder what is wrong with him, I am led instead to wonder what is not clear about Minor Threat.

Especially as it relates to meatheadedness.

Wow. I guess milieu means more than I thought it did.

Wow.

-r
warmowski

Postby warmowski on Fri May 26, 2006 10:50 am

Brett Eugene Ralph said wise things then wrote:
Minor Threat is not crap...

Mr. Ralph, you might be amused to know that I spent much of the high school era in a black 1979 Buick Regal. In that car, a certain C90 mix cassette labelled "comps" got a lot of play.

Side 1 started with 12XU off of Flex Your Head
Side 2 started with Hopeless off of Master Tapes Vol II

Both huge. So thanks.

-r
warmowski

Postby motorbike guy on Fri May 26, 2006 11:48 am

Chapter Two wrote:

i love it when you quote yourself.

do it again.
motorbike guy

Postby BClark on Fri May 26, 2006 12:04 pm

minor threat is really an anthem rock band in disguise.
BClark

Postby motorbike guy on Fri May 26, 2006 12:42 pm

BClark wrote:minor threat is really an anthem rock band in disguise.

No they're not.
motorbike guy

Postby Chapter Two on Sat May 27, 2006 5:45 am

the$inmusicisallmine wrote:
Chapter Two wrote:

i love it when you quote yourself.

do it again.

Chapter Two wrote:
Chapter Two

Postby Chapter Two on Sat May 27, 2006 5:46 am

No they're not.
Chapter Two

Postby motorbike guy on Sat May 27, 2006 7:10 am

Chapter Two wrote:

No they're not.

can i quote you on that?
motorbike guy

Postby tommydski on Sat May 27, 2006 9:07 am

NOT CRAP.

similarly, rites of spring, happy go licky and one last wish were NOT CRAP.

embrace, however, were an atrocious band.
run joe run wrote:Kerble your enthusiasm
tommydski
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Sebastian J. on Sat May 27, 2006 8:05 pm

n/c !!!!!!
Sebastian J.
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Chapter Two on Sun May 28, 2006 10:29 am

the$inmusicisallmine wrote:can i quote you on that?

Chapter Two wrote:No.
Chapter Two

Postby Rimbaud III on Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:18 am

I just read that Lyle Presler had a hand in unleashing the turd that is David Gray on the world when he worked for Caroline Records. My brain has trouble computerisating this pairing of peeps. ADSF£$%^3t34563$T£G!!!! c2ewEFWF"fv...
Rimbaud III
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby hogrot on Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:13 pm

I'm saying crap but it comes with lots of waffling. Music is music and aesthetics are aesthetics. I don't want my perceptions of an artist to fuck with my judgment of their art. I love Amon Tobin's records but I think he's a sack of shit as a person. That kind of thing.
strap-on wrote:74 inches of pleasure.
hogrot
bobcat goldthwait
bobcat goldthwait

Postby dimpfelmoser on Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:15 pm

the don't drink, don't smoke dogma always put me off. Wasn't punk about getting rid of dogmas? Minor threat to me was proof of the theory that every movement would try to replace old rules with new rules
dimpfelmoser
linus pauling
linus pauling

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap