Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Crap or not crap

CRAP
14%
NOT CRAP
86%

Total votes : 97

Postby AAAAAAAARGH on Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:25 pm

First EP is great except for "filler", In My Ryes is probably the best thing they ever did, Out of Step sucks, Salad Days rules, not crap, no waffles (even though I really hate Out of Step). The "see it in context" thing is bullshit, I bought Complete Discography in 2004.

wiggins wrote:the best is when you get a young girl to put back her "50 first dates" dvd and buy John Zorn's Electric Masada.

That sounds like a really fucked-up thing to do.
AAAAAAAARGH
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby rocker654 on Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:38 pm

Saw them in 83 at some VFW or something. I don't remember any of their songs. Just a bunch of skinhead monkeys jumping around and complaining if you shoved back too hard.

Not impressed.
rocker654
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby hogrot on Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:23 pm

rocker654 wrote:Just a bunch of skinhead monkeys jumping around and complaining if you shoved back too hard.

Not impressed.

that's harsh.
strap-on wrote:74 inches of pleasure.
hogrot
bobcat goldthwait
bobcat goldthwait

Postby rocker654 on Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:36 pm

hogrot wrote:
rocker654 wrote:Just a bunch of skinhead monkeys jumping around and complaining if you shoved back too hard.

Not impressed.

that's harsh.

And 23 years ago. I and the world have moved on, and the rules of the pit are more clearly defined (or aren't they?)
rocker654

Postby a. james on Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:32 am

Brett Eugene Ralph wrote:"12XU," however, was an inspired cover, and I gotta thank the boys in the band for hipping me to Wire.

certainly a better choice than rollins band's cover of "ex-lion tamer."

minor threat...i got issues with them.

i think hardcore is the retarded younger brother of punk.

straight edge? gross.

i give 'em not crap. lots of waffles though.
Marsupialized wrote:I am NOT sorry I yelled. I should have yelled louder.
a. james
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Tommy Alpha on Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:53 am

dimpfelmoser wrote:the don't drink, don't smoke dogma always put me off. Wasn't punk about getting rid of dogmas? Minor threat to me was proof of the theory that every movement would try to replace old rules with new rules

Bullshit. Listen to the 2nd version of 'Out of Step' for a counter argument from MacKaye's own mouth.
Just because a dogma arose from the lyrics to a few of his songs, should he be blamed for every bad thing that came as a result? He may be seen as a figurehead, but from what I can ascertain it’s a position he has always shunned and distanced himself from. Should he also be blamed for the rise of 'emo' bands too?
Tommy Alpha
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby mega therion on Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:22 am

Annoying crap, with a few waffles.
mega therion
Trygve Halvdan Lie
Trygve Halvdan Lie

Postby jcamanei on Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:18 pm

dimpfelmoser wrote:the don't drink, don't smoke dogma always put me off. Wasn't punk about getting rid of dogmas? Minor threat to me was proof of the theory that every movement would try to replace old rules with new rules

What old/new rules?

Not Crap.
jcamanei
ernie
ernie

Postby tallchris on Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:21 pm

A powerful band. I don't like that much hardcore, but this band still sounds great. "In My Eyes" almost makes me want to give up drinking. Almost.
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby steve on Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:47 pm

Terrific live band. Truly powerful. The first two 45s were outstanding examples of a rapidly stagnating genre. Out of Step, eh, whatever. It "sounded" better, I guess. When I think of Minor Threat, I think of the live show and those first two records.

If there were a pantheon of US "hardcore" bands who don't deserve to be dismissed as stupid (while confidently dismissing the rest of the idiom), it would include:

Minor Threat, Die Kreuzen, Bad Brains, Void, Negative Approach, Husker Du...

And, um... Help me here...

Anybody, who else we got?
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electricalaudio dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.
steve
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby cursedby11 on Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:16 pm

steve wrote:Terrific live band. Truly powerful. The first two 45s were outstanding examples of a rapidly stagnating genre. Out of Step, eh, whatever. It "sounded" better, I guess. When I think of Minor Threat, I think of the live show and those first two records.

If there were a pantheon of US "hardcore" bands who don't deserve to be dismissed as stupid (while confidently dismissing the rest of the idiom), it would include:

Minor Threat, Die Kreuzen, Bad Brains, Void, Negative Approach, Husker Du...

And, um... Help me here...

Anybody, who else we got?

Arguably, Black Flag as well.

To me, "Milo goes to College" by the Descendents as well. Come on, angry reject of society screaming hoarsely into a mic.

Did you mean "hardcore" as tough guy music? Maybe I misunderstood.
cursedby11
johnny moss
johnny moss

Postby NerblyBear on Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:10 pm

Man, Faith/Void was an absolutely tremendous band. I think they owned every other hardcore band at the time and are very under-rated.

And, yes, I would include early (pre-Rollins) Black Flag as another great band. Ginn's guitar sound is huge and terrifying on "Nervous Breakdown".

And I agree that the first two Minor Threat EP's are amazing but that "Out of Step" is too tame.

Basically, what I love about these three bands is the scratchy, corrosive wash of the electric guitars and the anti-social, "fuck you" lyrics.

Bad Brains....they were alright. Great musicians, but I don't feel the same rush of emotion when I listen to them.

So, yeah, Faith/Void, Black Flag and Minor Threat are the three aces. 98% of hardcore bands blow because it quickly became a formula for stupid people to latch on to.
NerblyBear
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby NerblyBear on Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:19 pm

cursedby11 wrote:
To me, "Milo goes to College" by the Descendents as well. Come on, angry reject of society screaming hoarsely into a mic.

Did you mean "hardcore" as tough guy music? Maybe I misunderstood.

While that Descendents record is indeed terrific and one of the best albums from that period, I wouldn't classify that band as "hardcore". They were too overtly melodic and friendly-sounding to qualify as a genuine hardcore band. Certainly "punk", though.
NerblyBear

Postby Eierdiebe on Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:27 pm

NerblyBear wrote:Man, Faith/Void was an absolutely tremendous band. I think they owned every other hardcore band at the time and are very under-rated.

That's actually two bands, Faith and Void, sharing opposite sides of the same record.
Eierdiebe
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby itchy mcgoo on Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:28 pm

NerblyBear wrote:Man, Faith/Void was an absolutely tremendous band. I think they owned every other hardcore band at the time and are very under-rated.

These are two different bands.

Salut on the Swiz mention, vockins.
itchy mcgoo
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby NerblyBear on Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:06 pm

Eierdiebe wrote:

That's actually two bands, Faith and Void, sharing opposite sides of the same record.

Oh shit, really? All I had heard were a few songs on the radio and I was floored. I have yet to purchase this record so I had no idea they were two bands.

Faith is the band with Ian's brother, right? I think they were the band I had heard. They sounded incredible.
NerblyBear

Postby Bernardo on Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:14 pm

vockins wrote:Rorschach, No Comment

I was going to mention No Comment. I think Rorschach doesn´t get in that list for the same reason the Minutemen and other more diverse acts don´t either.
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby NerblyBear on Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:20 pm

Rudimentary Peni's early EPs are also killer.
Gay People Rock
NerblyBear

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:22 pm

I like them a lot. Sometimes Ian's vocal delivery kind of turns me off, but as a whole, I like them, especially the song 'salad days', or something like that.

I really love the bassplaying! A lot of its just rootnote stuff, but I dig, I dig!

I do think Black Flag has aged a little better, if only because of Greg Ginn. This is kind of another topic altogether, but did Black Flag put out any other decent stuff that didn't have Henry Rollins on it? I might like them better if he was buried in the mix more.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

dvockins wrote:Gold hardware means you are number one.
llllllllllllllllllllllll

Postby NerblyBear on Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:24 pm

Nevermind, the song was "Who Are You" and it seems it was by Void.

So I still haven't heard Faith, but Void are officially incredible.
Gay People Rock
NerblyBear

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap