Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Crap or not crap

CRAP
14%
NOT CRAP
86%

Total votes : 97

Postby JR on Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:36 pm

NerblyBear wrote:Nevermind, the song was "Who Are You" and it seems it was by Void.

So I still haven't heard Faith, but Void are officially incredible.

http://www.dischord.com/store?action=sh ... lNumber=87
JR
pryor
pryor

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:10 pm

NerblyBear wrote:Faith is the band with Ian's brother, right? I think they were the band I had heard. They sounded incredible.

If you thought that was good, you're gonna shit your pants when you hear Void. It's some of the most ferocious music ever recorded. It only occurred to me recently that John Weiffenbach probably learned to "sing" from listening to Germs records.
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby rocker654 on Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:10 pm

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:...but did Black Flag put out any other decent stuff that didn't have Henry Rollins on it? I might like them better if he was buried in the mix more.

Everything they put out before Henry Rollins was excellent. Once they released "Damage", I started losing interest, although I did see them with Henry. The Minutemen opened.
rocker654
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:30 pm

rocker654 wrote:
llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:...but did Black Flag put out any other decent stuff that didn't have Henry Rollins on it? I might like them better if he was buried in the mix more.

Everything they put out before Henry Rollins was excellent. Once they released "Damage", I started losing interest, although I did see them with Henry. The Minutemen opened.

Damaged is a classic of the era, especially side 2. Not even Rollins could ruin it. The pre-Damaged stuff is great, too, and has been conveniently collected on the First Four Years CD. Buy it.
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby rocker654 on Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:33 pm

Brett Eugene Ralph wrote:
rocker654 wrote:

Damaged is a classic of the era, especially side 2. Not even Rollins could ruin it. The pre-Damaged stuff is great, too, and has been conveniently collected on the First Four Years CD. Buy it.

I couldn't remember the name, I thought it was called "Everything Went Black", and I was too lazy to open the archives.

But yeah, it is an excellent album.
rocker654

Postby Angus Jung on Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:35 pm

Brett Eugene Ralph wrote:The pre-Damaged stuff is great, too, and has been conveniently collected on the First Four Years CD. Buy it.

Everything Went Black is also Rollins-free. I like having different versions of the same song done with different singers.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:44 pm

Angus Jung wrote:
Brett Eugene Ralph wrote:The pre-Damaged stuff is great, too, and has been conveniently collected on the First Four Years CD. Buy it.

Everything Went Black is also Rollins-free. I like having different versions of the same song done with different singers.

Good call. I'd forgotten all about that one. I need to get it on CD so I can "jam out" in the truck.

I do believe that The First Four Years and Everything Went Black avoid repetition, though. Right? The former is all of their official singles, EP's, and comp cuts, while the latter, if I remember correctly, is stuff from the vault they released when they were tied up with Unicorn.
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Justin Foley on Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:39 pm

Dead Kennedys.

= Justin
Justin Foley

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:51 pm

Brett Eugene Ralph wrote:
rocker654 wrote:

Thank you for the recommendation, but I am already a fan of damaged. I will check out the compilation you mentioned though.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

dvockins wrote:Gold hardware means you are number one.
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby mega therion on Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:03 pm

Siege.
mega therion
Trygve Halvdan Lie
Trygve Halvdan Lie

Re: Band: Minor threat

Postby punch_the_lion on Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:57 am

punch_the_lion
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby andyman on Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:21 pm

offal wrote:I just want to be able to play bitchin' single-stroke rolls before I die
andyman
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby M.H on Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:30 am

In hindsight, you can hear the 70's hard rock and punk rock in most early hardcore: it was a starting point for bands that would musically develop into other things. But Minor Threat were something different.

Those first two killer eps are the ground zero for hardcore as a subgenre and they were much more aggressive than their peers, employing a new (if limited) language. I'd argue they were making the most extreme rock music ever heard until that point in '81.

All those early songs hold up really, really well. Ian's persona is the key.

Out of Step is much weaker, it’s a transitional shift towards a more melodic mix that Dag Nasty did much better on Can I Say. 2 guitars did Minor Threat no favours, that’s for sure. Bad move, but I think they knew it.

Easy NC though.
M.H
kofi annan
kofi annan

Postby ErikG on Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:41 pm

Great band. All of it.

I'd give Fugazi the advantage if Guy didn't sing.

But sometimes he did; Minor Threat wins.
ErikG
franklin from peanuts
franklin from peanuts

Re:

Postby oZZma on Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:22 am

Brett Eugene Ralph wrote:I said offhandedly to somebody recently that I didn't think Minor Threat's music had aged as well as the other great hardcore bands of the day, particularly Die Kreuzen and Bad Brains.

I have relistened to them recently and I think you're right. Thw music sounds so uninteresting today, to me at least.
Bad Brains on the other hand... There are a couple of songs that still give me the goosebumps.
vade retro Santana
oZZma
galloping gourmet
galloping gourmet

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap