Weather Report

CRAP
50%
NOT CRAP
50%

Total votes : 26

Re: Band: Weather Report

Postby Madman Munt on Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:02 pm

I just watched a toilet refill valve video. I think I like the toilet refill music better than Birdland by Weather Report.

phpBB [media]

Heavy Weather must be one of the worst records ever made.
Madman Munt
amir vahedi
amir vahedi

Postby Isabelle Gall on Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:01 pm

Madman Munt wrote:Heavy Weather must be one of the worst records ever made.

I'm going to say it must not be, based on hearing records.
Isabelle Gall
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Bernardo on Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:53 am

As one of the resident Weather Report apologists, I must say that revisiting their 8:30 live album after a period of listening a lot to Agharta and getting a copy of Live Evil has put things in much clearer perspective. I still think 8:30 is their most enjoyable mid-period release, but that's REALLY not saying much. When it got to the studio side I just had to turn it off.
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Redline on Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:41 pm

I saw them when I was 15 years old, but it was good. You can blame Weather Report for Kenny G and Spyro Gyra I guess, but they were one of the few original fusion bands that didn't suck. Wayne Shorter also wrote great tunes, he just didn't go skeet skat diddly on his sax all night.

Still Not Crap, 13 years after my original vote.
Redline
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby jakethesnake on Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:46 am

NC on the basis of the Miroslav Vitous era; me thinks the people who diss Weather Report haven't heard "the right records" but judge by the albums with Jaco and where Joe "hack" Zawinul had taken over completely while Wayne Shorter was reduced to little more than a sideman. Anyway, my favorite is the double live in Tokyo-album from the early 70's. I enjoy everything up to "Mysterious traveller" or possibly even "Tale spinning"; albums like "Black Market", "Heavy weather" and "Mr Gone" can fuck off. Haven't heard anything later but I can't imagine it being good considering the era...
jakethesnake
hiwatt
hiwatt

Postby sulfur)addict on Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:03 am

I like some of Miroslav Vitous' solo albums - especially one with John McLaughlin - but even that early era of Weather Report is CRAP. Ridiculously serious, unsexy music. You can kinda hone in on Wayne and it makes it bearable, but even his pre-Weather Report records blow that stuff away.

Post-Vitous is just joke clown "jazz." Bad music.

CRAP
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby twelvepoint on Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:13 am

Unrelated to this thread, a few weeks ago I listened to the 1972 Live in Tokyo record, and it really enjoyed it. Some great playing, feels like there's a lot of "heart" in it, and has enough falling off the rails moments to feel like the "rock" aspect of fusion is there, and genuine. Just from the album cover and "Tokyo, 1972" you can kinda tell it's gonna slay
twelvepoint
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby Redline on Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:47 pm

sulfur)addict wrote:
I like some of Miroslav Vitous' solo albums

They are all rewarding. Especially when he gets out the bow, like Barre Phillips.

Or the Terje Rypdal / Miroslav Vitous / Jack DeJohnette ECM album that everyone should own in some form or another.
Redline
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Bernardo on Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:39 pm

twelvepoint wrote:Unrelated to this thread, a few weeks ago I listened to the 1972 Live in Tokyo record, and it really enjoyed it. Some great playing, feels like there's a lot of "heart" in it, and has enough falling off the rails moments to feel like the "rock" aspect of fusion is there, and genuine. Just from the album cover and "Tokyo, 1972" you can kinda tell it's gonna slay

I wonder how this is unrelated to this thread. Either way, been meaning to get this record since forever, it's sure to be tons better than 8:30.
Bernardo

Postby twelvepoint on Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:10 am

Bernardo wrote:
twelvepoint wrote:Unrelated to this thread, a few weeks ago I listened to the 1972 Live in Tokyo record, and it really enjoyed it. Some great playing, feels like there's a lot of "heart" in it, and has enough falling off the rails moments to feel like the "rock" aspect of fusion is there, and genuine. Just from the album cover and "Tokyo, 1972" you can kinda tell it's gonna slay

I wonder how this is unrelated to this thread. Either way, been meaning to get this record since forever, it's sure to be tons better than 8:30.

Oh yeah, I meant I listened to that live album a few weeks ago but I hadn't - at the time - seen this thread. I didn't mean "off topic"

Any live record from '72 that starts with a drum solo is bound to have some merit, no?
twelvepoint
has seen it all
has seen it all

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap