home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Abstaining from alcohol.

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Abstaining from alcohol.

Postby Pasta on Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:52 pm

that is awesome. be well, and be kind to yourself.
RSMurphy wrote:Everything I enjoy about metal: heavy, cool riffs, hooks, expressive vocals.
User avatar
Pasta
Fucking Survivor....Fuck Cancer
 
Posts: 3144
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:11 pm
Location: Doom Town

Re: Abstaining from alcohol.

Postby numberthirty on Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:12 am

Pasta wrote:that is awesome. be well, and be kind to yourself.


Ditto.

This was good to hear.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
User avatar
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 20444
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:28 am

Re: Abstaining from alcohol.

Postby jimmy spako on Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:25 am

Awesome, FM catwoman, best to you.
Isabelle Gall wrote:'Do not go smoothly into that dark night'
User avatar
jimmy spako
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
 
Posts: 5173
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:49 am
Location: schnitzel circuit

Re: Abstaining from alcohol.

Postby jbar on Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:11 am

Yea, you got this.
jbar
black donald
black donald
 
Posts: 668
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:17 pm
Location: Travelin' Man

Re: Abstaining from alcohol.

Postby catwoman on Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:49 pm

Thank you! I appreciate the support.
Updates to follow!
User avatar
catwoman
tired of birds
tired of birds
 
Posts: 1130
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:33 am
Location: Square of Logan within the City of Wind

Re: Abstaining from alcohol.

Postby BusBus on Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:06 pm

That's awesome, catwoman. Great to hear!

I'm approaching 11 months in a few days. I put myself in situations where I would usually drink(band stuff) a lot less these days and I actually don't miss those situations. My new addiction, however, which is bike racing, seems to have a big alcohol component. It seems like any sort of group ride I go on ends with group drinking. I find myself constantly ghosting so I don't have to explain that I don't drink over and over. Adjust and evolve is my new m.o.
BusBus
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor
 
Posts: 1433
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:46 pm
Location: Midwest

Re: Abstaining from alcohol.

Postby oZZma on Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:58 am

I had been abstaining from alcohol for months since January but lately I have started drinking again, even more heavily than before... Now I'm trying to quit. I had my "last" ( :?: ) beer yesterday.
vade retro Santana
User avatar
oZZma
galloping gourmet
galloping gourmet
 
Posts: 288
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:57 am
Location: Italy

Re: Abstaining from alcohol.

Postby catwoman on Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:43 pm

This is day 14, alcohol free. Weekend was oddly fine. Made the boyfriend a martini, and I had a Heineken 0.0 beer with a squeeze of lemon in it. Didn't feel deprived. Sleeping 9 hours a night, had headaches the first week, but it's better now, I'm drinking a lot more water. Still get a craving around the cocktail hour, but I just sit with the feeling and move past it, distract myself. I found that if I can't have a drink at night, I may as well just go to bed!

so far, okay.
User avatar
catwoman
tired of birds
tired of birds
 
Posts: 1130
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:33 am
Location: Square of Logan within the City of Wind

Re: Abstaining from alcohol.

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:50 pm

catwoman wrote:This is day 14, alcohol free. Weekend was oddly fine. Made the boyfriend a martini, and I had a Heineken 0.0 beer with a squeeze of lemon in it. Didn't feel deprived. Sleeping 9 hours a night, had headaches the first week, but it's better now, I'm drinking a lot more water. Still get a craving around the cocktail hour, but I just sit with the feeling and move past it, distract myself. I found that if I can't have a drink at night, I may as well just go to bed!

so far, okay.


Sounds like excellent progress. Well done, and keep at it.
maintain a healthy foe list
User avatar
A_Man_Who_Tries
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast
 
Posts: 1269
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:08 pm

Re: Abstaining from alcohol.

Postby jbar on Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:49 pm

Hey Catwoman, happy 15 days. I made it a year a couple weeks ago. It feels good.
jbar
black donald
black donald
 
Posts: 668
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:17 pm
Location: Travelin' Man

Re: Abstaining from alcohol.

Postby catwoman on Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:05 pm

Thanks everyone for the support and cheering on!
Still alcohol free, day 24. Boyfriend is totally supportive, and is cutting back on his drinking as well. From The Alcohol Experiment website forums, it sound like a lot of spouses and Sig Others will not support, or go as far as to sabotage, their partners efforts to stop or moderate their drinking. I wondered if my guy would do that, or just be a grouch about it, but he's on-board. We both quit smoking together back in '02, so teamwork seems to work for us!

I still get cravings, but now see how specific they are to time, place and activity. I've tried a couple of the zero alcohol beers now. Okay, so they are actually like 0.5% or something, but for my purposes, that's zero. And they taste just close enough to beer that you feel like you had a regular beer, but just odd enough that you really don't want another one, anyway!

Good job, everyone else whose gone way farther than my 24 days!
User avatar
catwoman
tired of birds
tired of birds
 
Posts: 1130
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:33 am
Location: Square of Logan within the City of Wind

Re: Abstaining from alcohol.

Postby Boombats on Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:01 pm

Awesome!
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
User avatar
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog
 
Posts: 20643
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:31 am

Re: Abstaining from alcohol.

Postby Pasta on Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:05 pm

This is great!

Monday marked 8 months, for me. It was a long time coming. Feeling really good, these days.
RSMurphy wrote:Everything I enjoy about metal: heavy, cool riffs, hooks, expressive vocals.
User avatar
Pasta
Fucking Survivor....Fuck Cancer
 
Posts: 3144
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:11 pm
Location: Doom Town

Re: Abstaining from alcohol.

Postby famousjunkie on Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:26 am

I've been giving this a shot. It's a little over two weeks now. I find I've gotten so much done and felt so much better without the disruptive and intermittent black holes that I would detour down with alcohol every few days.

The other thing is that all of my gripes/developmental issues have slowly come to the forefront. But rather than wanting to go right back to drinking in order to mask and and ignore them, I feel ready to investigate them and try to figure them out. One interesting example is that I enjoy music less while sober. Especially certain kinds of music. As if alcohol has kept me in a nostalgia loop and prevented me from exploring more.

The more frightening example is that I'm not entirely sure what my personality is like without alcohol. I feel sort of foreign to myself. It's as if I've put off development for a few years and relied on buzzed enthusiasm and impulsive drunk decision making to get me by. That can't be healthy. So I feel like I'm recalibrating a bit. I think I'm slowly gaining some natural confidence as I relearn to walk in a sober space.
famousjunkie
grover
grover
 
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:07 am

Re: Abstaining from alcohol.

Postby Boombats on Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:38 pm

famousjunkie wrote:I've been giving this a shot. It's a little over two weeks now. I find I've gotten so much done and felt so much better without the disruptive and intermittent black holes that I would detour down with alcohol every few days.

Don't be afraid if they come back. Just work on ways of being prepared for them if they do, as opposed to letting them sneak up on you. You'll be fine.

famousjunkie wrote:The other thing is that all of my gripes/developmental issues have slowly come to the forefront. But rather than wanting to go right back to drinking in order to mask and and ignore them, I feel ready to investigate them and try to figure them out.

Exactly.

famousjunkie wrote:One interesting example is that I enjoy music less while sober. Especially certain kinds of music. As if alcohol has kept me in a nostalgia loop and prevented me from exploring more.

I felt the same, not just about music but many social experiences and other opinions. It's ok to let things go, because you're just making room for other good stuff.

famousjunkie wrote:The more frightening example is that I'm not entirely sure what my personality is like without alcohol. I feel sort of foreign to myself. It's as if I've put off development for a few years and relied on buzzed enthusiasm and impulsive drunk decision making to get me by. That can't be healthy. So I feel like I'm recalibrating a bit. I think I'm slowly gaining some natural confidence as I relearn to walk in a sober space.

Hell yes. Over time the bullshit parts of our personality slough off like snake skin. Be aware of the things that don't go away, as they will likely be issues and maladaptive behaviors you had before you started drinking, and may require more work then mere sobriety to address. But you'll be fine!
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
User avatar
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog
 
Posts: 20643
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:31 am

Re: Abstaining from alcohol.

Postby Adam I II on Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:12 am

7 years tomorrow! Yay!
Sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti.
User avatar
Adam I II
cecil bill
cecil bill
 
Posts: 262
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:59 pm
Location: Lincoln

Re: Abstaining from alcohol.

Postby BusBus on Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:27 pm

Whew. Today marks a year with no alcohol or cigs. Some mental bumps and bruises along the way, but I'm way happier today vs. last year. From thoughts of suicide, extreme hypochondria, border line eating disorder issues, no sleep, and a desire to quit my job(consequences be damned), to a semi stable state today. Whew.
BusBus
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor
 
Posts: 1433
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:46 pm
Location: Midwest

Re: Abstaining from alcohol.

Postby jbar on Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:24 pm

BusBus wrote:Whew. Today marks a year with no alcohol or cigs. Some mental bumps and bruises along the way, but I'm way happier today vs. last year. From thoughts of suicide, extreme hypochondria, border line eating disorder issues, no sleep, and a desire to quit my job(consequences be damned), to a semi stable state today. Whew.


Feels good, don't it? Congratulations!
jbar
black donald
black donald
 
Posts: 668
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:17 pm
Location: Travelin' Man

Re: Abstaining from alcohol.

Postby oZZma on Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:32 pm

I am such a loser. I'm drinking again.
vade retro Santana
User avatar
oZZma
galloping gourmet
galloping gourmet
 
Posts: 288
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:57 am
Location: Italy

Re: Abstaining from alcohol.

Postby RSMurphy on Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:57 pm

BusBus wrote:Whew. Today marks a year with no alcohol or cigs. Some mental bumps and bruises along the way, but I'm way happier today vs. last year. From thoughts of suicide, extreme hypochondria, border line eating disorder issues, no sleep, and a desire to quit my job(consequences be damned), to a semi stable state today. Whew.


Congratulations, and I hope everyone on your end is doing well. You happy, me happy.
WHALES CHICAGO USA THE MUSIC OF SOUND BANDACMP EP NOISEPOP

LTD. EDITION VINYL COPIES OF SIZE AND SCALE

Trey wrote:I think Randy is great.

Surfrider wrote:Come on Randy! You can do it!!
RSMurphy
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9769
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:52 pm
Location: Chicago

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], norse_code and 12 guests