home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Abstaining from alcohol.

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Abstaining from alcohol.

Postby Pasta on Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:52 pm

that is awesome. be well, and be kind to yourself.
RSMurphy wrote:Everything I enjoy about metal: heavy, cool riffs, hooks, expressive vocals.
Pasta
Fucking Survivor....Fuck Cancer

Postby numberthirty on Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:12 am

Pasta wrote:that is awesome. be well, and be kind to yourself.

Ditto.

This was good to hear.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby jimmy spako on Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:25 am

Awesome, FM catwoman, best to you.
Isabelle Gall wrote:'Do not go smoothly into that dark night'
jimmy spako
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby jbar on Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:11 am

Yea, you got this.
jbar
black donald
black donald

Postby catwoman on Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:49 pm

Thank you! I appreciate the support.
Updates to follow!
catwoman
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby BusBus on Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:06 pm

That's awesome, catwoman. Great to hear!

I'm approaching 11 months in a few days. I put myself in situations where I would usually drink(band stuff) a lot less these days and I actually don't miss those situations. My new addiction, however, which is bike racing, seems to have a big alcohol component. It seems like any sort of group ride I go on ends with group drinking. I find myself constantly ghosting so I don't have to explain that I don't drink over and over. Adjust and evolve is my new m.o.
BusBus
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby oZZma on Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:58 am

I had been abstaining from alcohol for months since January but lately I have started drinking again, even more heavily than before... Now I'm trying to quit. I had my "last" ( :?: ) beer yesterday.
vade retro Santana
oZZma
galloping gourmet
galloping gourmet

Postby catwoman on Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:43 pm

This is day 14, alcohol free. Weekend was oddly fine. Made the boyfriend a martini, and I had a Heineken 0.0 beer with a squeeze of lemon in it. Didn't feel deprived. Sleeping 9 hours a night, had headaches the first week, but it's better now, I'm drinking a lot more water. Still get a craving around the cocktail hour, but I just sit with the feeling and move past it, distract myself. I found that if I can't have a drink at night, I may as well just go to bed!

so far, okay.
catwoman
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:50 pm

catwoman wrote:This is day 14, alcohol free. Weekend was oddly fine. Made the boyfriend a martini, and I had a Heineken 0.0 beer with a squeeze of lemon in it. Didn't feel deprived. Sleeping 9 hours a night, had headaches the first week, but it's better now, I'm drinking a lot more water. Still get a craving around the cocktail hour, but I just sit with the feeling and move past it, distract myself. I found that if I can't have a drink at night, I may as well just go to bed!

so far, okay.

Sounds like excellent progress. Well done, and keep at it.
maintain a healthy foe list
A_Man_Who_Tries
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby jbar on Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:49 pm

Hey Catwoman, happy 15 days. I made it a year a couple weeks ago. It feels good.
jbar
black donald
black donald

Postby catwoman on Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:05 pm

Thanks everyone for the support and cheering on!
Still alcohol free, day 24. Boyfriend is totally supportive, and is cutting back on his drinking as well. From The Alcohol Experiment website forums, it sound like a lot of spouses and Sig Others will not support, or go as far as to sabotage, their partners efforts to stop or moderate their drinking. I wondered if my guy would do that, or just be a grouch about it, but he's on-board. We both quit smoking together back in '02, so teamwork seems to work for us!

I still get cravings, but now see how specific they are to time, place and activity. I've tried a couple of the zero alcohol beers now. Okay, so they are actually like 0.5% or something, but for my purposes, that's zero. And they taste just close enough to beer that you feel like you had a regular beer, but just odd enough that you really don't want another one, anyway!

Good job, everyone else whose gone way farther than my 24 days!
catwoman
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby Boombats on Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:01 pm

Awesome!
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby Pasta on Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:05 pm

This is great!

Monday marked 8 months, for me. It was a long time coming. Feeling really good, these days.
RSMurphy wrote:Everything I enjoy about metal: heavy, cool riffs, hooks, expressive vocals.
Pasta
Fucking Survivor....Fuck Cancer

Postby famousjunkie on Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:26 am

I've been giving this a shot. It's a little over two weeks now. I find I've gotten so much done and felt so much better without the disruptive and intermittent black holes that I would detour down with alcohol every few days.

The other thing is that all of my gripes/developmental issues have slowly come to the forefront. But rather than wanting to go right back to drinking in order to mask and and ignore them, I feel ready to investigate them and try to figure them out. One interesting example is that I enjoy music less while sober. Especially certain kinds of music. As if alcohol has kept me in a nostalgia loop and prevented me from exploring more.

The more frightening example is that I'm not entirely sure what my personality is like without alcohol. I feel sort of foreign to myself. It's as if I've put off development for a few years and relied on buzzed enthusiasm and impulsive drunk decision making to get me by. That can't be healthy. So I feel like I'm recalibrating a bit. I think I'm slowly gaining some natural confidence as I relearn to walk in a sober space.
famousjunkie
grover
grover

Postby Boombats on Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:38 pm

famousjunkie wrote:I've been giving this a shot. It's a little over two weeks now. I find I've gotten so much done and felt so much better without the disruptive and intermittent black holes that I would detour down with alcohol every few days.

Don't be afraid if they come back. Just work on ways of being prepared for them if they do, as opposed to letting them sneak up on you. You'll be fine.

famousjunkie wrote:The other thing is that all of my gripes/developmental issues have slowly come to the forefront. But rather than wanting to go right back to drinking in order to mask and and ignore them, I feel ready to investigate them and try to figure them out.

Exactly.

famousjunkie wrote:One interesting example is that I enjoy music less while sober. Especially certain kinds of music. As if alcohol has kept me in a nostalgia loop and prevented me from exploring more.

I felt the same, not just about music but many social experiences and other opinions. It's ok to let things go, because you're just making room for other good stuff.

famousjunkie wrote:The more frightening example is that I'm not entirely sure what my personality is like without alcohol. I feel sort of foreign to myself. It's as if I've put off development for a few years and relied on buzzed enthusiasm and impulsive drunk decision making to get me by. That can't be healthy. So I feel like I'm recalibrating a bit. I think I'm slowly gaining some natural confidence as I relearn to walk in a sober space.

Hell yes. Over time the bullshit parts of our personality slough off like snake skin. Be aware of the things that don't go away, as they will likely be issues and maladaptive behaviors you had before you started drinking, and may require more work then mere sobriety to address. But you'll be fine!
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby Adam I II on Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:12 am

7 years tomorrow! Yay!
Sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti.
Adam I II
cecil bill
cecil bill

Postby BusBus on Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:27 pm

Whew. Today marks a year with no alcohol or cigs. Some mental bumps and bruises along the way, but I'm way happier today vs. last year. From thoughts of suicide, extreme hypochondria, border line eating disorder issues, no sleep, and a desire to quit my job(consequences be damned), to a semi stable state today. Whew.
BusBus
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby jbar on Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:24 pm

BusBus wrote:Whew. Today marks a year with no alcohol or cigs. Some mental bumps and bruises along the way, but I'm way happier today vs. last year. From thoughts of suicide, extreme hypochondria, border line eating disorder issues, no sleep, and a desire to quit my job(consequences be damned), to a semi stable state today. Whew.

Feels good, don't it? Congratulations!
jbar
black donald
black donald

Postby oZZma on Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:32 pm

I am such a loser. I'm drinking again.
vade retro Santana
oZZma
galloping gourmet
galloping gourmet

Postby RSMurphy on Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:57 pm

BusBus wrote:Whew. Today marks a year with no alcohol or cigs. Some mental bumps and bruises along the way, but I'm way happier today vs. last year. From thoughts of suicide, extreme hypochondria, border line eating disorder issues, no sleep, and a desire to quit my job(consequences be damned), to a semi stable state today. Whew.

Congratulations, and I hope everyone on your end is doing well. You happy, me happy.
WHALES CHICAGO USA THE MUSIC OF SOUND BANDACMP EP NOISEPOP

LTD. EDITION VINYL COPIES OF SIZE AND SCALE

Trey wrote:I think Randy is great.

Surfrider wrote:Come on Randy! You can do it!!
RSMurphy
Present-day God
Present-day God

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap