home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Abstaining from alcohol.

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Abstaining from alcohol.

Postby Boombats on Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:05 am

8 years you fuck!
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby Ike on Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:18 am

Hell yeah, Boombats. Solid.
Ike
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby n.c. on Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:45 pm

Boombats wrote:8 years you fuck!

nice work!
numberthirty wrote:No one is giving Frankenstein's Monster a cup of booze just because they have shifted from a CD burner to an interface and a computer.
n.c.
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby hench on Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:56 pm

Boombats wrote:8 years you fuck!

solid. real solid...
hench
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby mrcancelled on Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:18 am

Eight years, holy shit. Great work!
mrcancelled
grand
grand

Postby Riff Magnum on Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:19 pm

I hit my first anniversary sober recently, but I kinda forgot about it till yesterday. I think I actually quit in mid June of last year, but it wasn't the stereotypical "rock bottom I gotta stop this or I'll die" type shit, so I don't have a proper anniversary to celebrate(....responsibly). I just had enough finally and knew it was time to grow out of this phase I should've abandoned when I was in my 20's.
This thread is always an inspiration!!
Btw, what are your thoughts on shit like o'douls and whatnot? I've had maybe 3-4 over the last year and always in situations where I'm susceptible to pressure, cravings, and relapse: baseball games, concerts, bbq's, etc. I thought it was a harmless placebo till someone, rather haughtily I might add, said "You know those aren't really non-alcoholic right?" Fuck if she wasn't telling the truth, although my awful math skills informs me i'd have to drink like 15 to equal one beer. I dunno, hopefully I can get to the point where I don't even need to do that, but I don't feel like beating myself up over it either.
Riff Magnum
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Boombats on Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:04 pm

Try drinking seltzer or juice in those situations. If that doesn't help, then you're drinking O'Douls for a reason you might not want to admit. I have the occasional Kombucha, and I do it despite the trace amounts of alcohol, because it's good for my gut and at this point in my life it's not a trigger. If I only had Kombucha at social events or other times I felt anxiety, then it might be a sign that I'm compensating for an unspoken desire.
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby mrcancelled on Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:56 pm

Boombats wrote:Try drinking seltzer or juice in those situations. If that doesn't help, then you're drinking O'Douls for a reason you might not want to admit. I have the occasional Kombucha, and I do it despite the trace amounts of alcohol, because it's good for my gut and at this point in my life it's not a trigger. If I only had Kombucha at social events or other times I felt anxiety, then it might be a sign that I'm compensating for an unspoken desire.

Yeah. I've considered ordering a non-alcoholic beer a couple of times in the past, usually in situations where I've had to be in bars for whatever reason. I'm really glad I never did, I feel like taking that first sip (especially in a bar where with other friends are drinking) is only going to bring back a whirlwind of memories that will mentally put me in that place again. I know that I'd be fine and that I wouldn't be any more pressured into drinking for real... but still, I'm just grateful to be done with that period of my life and holding a bottle getting that taste probably isn't going to put me in a good mental state.

This is completely personal, of course--I'm not saying you should or shouldn't do it. But if you feel any kind of hesitation whatsoever then it's most likely not worth it just for a beverage. But everyone is different... for me I'm fine with drinking komboucha or alcohol in food or whatever--I think the idea of the physical going-through-the-motions of drinking my old drink of choice makes me feel a little uneasy and that discomfort is a good sign that I shouldn't do something.
mrcancelled
grand
grand

Postby tmidgett on Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:27 am

mrcancelled wrote:This is completely personal, of course--I'm not saying you should or shouldn't do it. But if you feel any kind of hesitation whatsoever then it's most likely not worth it just for a beverage. But everyone is different... for me I'm fine with drinking komboucha or alcohol in food or whatever--I think the idea of the physical going-through-the-motions of drinking my old drink of choice makes me feel a little uneasy and that discomfort is a good sign that I shouldn't do something.

Yes. Makes sense to me. It's a personal decision. And it's not really "drinking."

I drink n/a beer occasionally. Has about as much alcohol as orange juice. You'd have to drink 8-12 n/a beers to equal one regular beer. You're literally never going to get an actual buzz off it.

If there's a placebo effect, then, you know, maybe it's not a great idea. I know other alcoholics who stay away from it for that reason.

I don't drink pop and I like the taste of beer, so I'll probably keep drinking one or two once every two months or whatever.
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby andyman on Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:48 am

I wasn't and am not much of a soda drinker, but have since discovered that some surprisingly pleasant ones exist. On the rare occasion I'm in a bar I try to pick a soft drink off the menu that I've never tried before, if there's one. It's kind of interesting to see what's out there.

If the place is known for their cocktails then you can have a great time challenging the barperson to come up with something creative and non-alcoholic. I've tasted some fantastic stuff that way.
offal wrote:I just want to be able to play bitchin' single-stroke rolls before I die
andyman

Postby Anonymous37 on Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:25 pm

Been drinking too much recently. Not to the extent that anyone would call it alcoholism, but I'm getting moderately soused on the weekends.

So I decided to make July an alcohol-free month, at the suggestion of my therapist. And I did fine, except on the 4th of July. I drank somewhere between 4 and 5 drinks. Not enough that I was sloppy drunk, but just enough for me to realize that I'm using alcohol to deal with something I don't want to face. Loneliness, boredom, depression: even I'm not sure exactly what. So now I'm going to set that aside and spend the rest of the month alcohol-free.

Oh, and I liked this song, about trying hard to quit alcohol. Yeah, the style is way too much "museum-quality replica", but I have to admit it's pretty catchy nonetheless.

Anonymous37
carlin
carlin

Postby Adam Sr on Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:51 pm

Think it might be time to swear off this stuff for a while. Not out of control, but I like it too much, and it's sure to end in another nervous breakdown. I wish I'd never been born [emo emoji]
Adam Sr
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Boombats on Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:56 pm

Although sobriety comes with the scariness of confronting that which we avoided, it also comes with the relief of being able to overcome and voyage far beyond those obstacles. There really is a point where we can grow out of the malaise of our youth. A new life awaits our embrace.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby Adam Sr on Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:18 pm

phpBB [media]
Adam Sr

Postby Mason on Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:07 pm

hayate wrote:I've always been a highly irritable person, symptomatic of adhd I'd reckon. Alcohol has always calmed me down. Put out the fire, so to speak, and heightened my empathetic abilities in that sense. People are genuinely compelling as individuals when I'm drinking, and not nearly as irritating. And when I'm alone - the way I prefer it because bars are expensive - the effect is quite nice, since the downer interval also seems to help improve my attention span and promote a sense of "flow" while I'm working on something or writing .. In those times I don't feel particularly inspired or enlivened by anything.

As an ADHD-having abstain-y guy, this almost hurts to read.

I'm sure there was additional stuff I was quelling, but at this point I believe the bulk of my alcohol problem came back to either the poor self-restraint that comes with ADHD or trying to double down on medicating other things about ADHD, just calming me the hell down.

Here I'll again recommend Dr. Gabor Maté's Scattered Minds (ADHD) and In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts (addiction, with an appendix touching on its relationship with ADHD). Tremendous stuff.
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby biscuitdough on Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:04 pm

I quit at some point in November after my yearly sober October reminded me that taking a month off drinking is something only alcoholics have to do. I know you're supposed to remember the date, but I don't.

Still out of shape, and way more irritable, but it's an overall improvement.
biscuitdough

Postby hench on Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:58 pm

two years. a lotta inspiring people in this thread - including a couple that have zilched their posts - that i owe thanks to.

seeing so many of you perform, have just as much fun at bbqs and thundersnows, hold conversations and not look ready to jump outta yr skin, etc. went a long way in making me think that i could hack the same.

so thanks! ok!
hench

Postby Boombats on Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:32 pm

hench wrote:two years. a lotta inspiring people in this thread - including a couple that have zilched their posts - that i owe thanks to.

seeing so many of you perform, have just as much fun at bbqs and thundersnows, hold conversations and not look ready to jump outta yr skin, etc. went a long way in making me think that i could hack the same.

so thanks! ok!

Time to update the profile pic innit?
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby hench on Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:34 pm

Boombats wrote:Time to update the profile pic innit?

ha! noticed that immediately after posting. yeah, might have to...
hench

Postby mrcancelled on Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:06 pm

hench wrote:
Boombats wrote:Time to update the profile pic innit?

ha! noticed that immediately after posting. yeah, might have to...

Congrats on two years, man. Awesome work!

mrcancelled
grand
grand

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap