home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Abstaining from alcohol.

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Abstaining from alcohol.

Postby jbar on Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:59 pm

If I'm counting correctly, October 3 was 90 days ago.

I feel good, I guess. Big holidays are behind me, about to leave my job and hit the road.

If I can do it, you can do it. Here's to all of you struggling or striding.
jbar
satan
satan

Postby jimmy spako on Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:22 pm

My little brother is seven years sober today.
I've been on here long enough that I posted about when he wasn't and then when he was trying to get there.

I forgot his anniversary this year till just now. Made me very happy to remember and hit him up.

Love, strength and patience to all of you.
Isabelle Gall wrote:'Do not go smoothly into that dark night'
jimmy spako
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby BusBus on Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:14 pm

I had pretty much stopped the regular, heavy drinking(every other day) when my wife was diagnosed with cancer 2.5 years ago, but I would still have a night or two every month where I would binge drink all the beer I had at my disposal.

After her diagnosis, my wife and I started exercising again, mainly riding bikes off road and bike commuting for me. I ended up going all in on bike racing and ended up placing 2nd in a state wide series last summer for my age group, but was still doing the 1-2x a month binge thing along with chain smoking when I would drink. This past November I finally had enough and I haven't had a drink or cig since November 15. My obsession with off road bike racing helped me quit as there is no way I would be able to survive moving up a category and remain competitive this upcoming summer race season if I did any of the occasional binging. Another benefit is I am down about 45 pounds and I'm no longer an angry hung over piece of crap in front of my kids and wife. I can't believe how much money I used to spend at the bar and liquor store. The lifetime spend is incalculable.

For the most part, it's been going ok except for when I took a deep dive back into depression and anxiety due to work this past December. Luckily I didn't go back to drinking, but I now realize how much the drinking used to dull the depression lurking deep inside. i had to take an extended leave of absence from work, but am now back at work and feeling motivated to move past the depression/anxiety with help from my old friend ssri. Onward.
BusBus
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby Boombats on Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:02 pm

BusBus, you the best man. Good to see you here despite some of the circumstances.
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby andyman on Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:33 pm

BusBus wrote:Luckily I didn't go back to drinking, but I now realize how much the drinking used to dull the depression lurking deep inside.

This is a vastly underrated comment. Drinking keeps everything on an even keel (more or less), but you also don't really get to feel much emotion. All that comes rushing back once you stop and learning how to experience it again and be ok with it takes getting used to. It's where the joy is, though.

I don't post about it much, but I will say that I hit 4 years without drinking this past January. Life isn't perfect or anything, but it's a lot better than it was, and I get to practise being a better son, brother, friend, etc. which is where much of the value is.
Maybe things will change at some point? Who knows. I hope not.

Keep up the good work everyone. Keep trying.
offal wrote:I just want to be able to play bitchin' single-stroke rolls before I die
andyman
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Tommy Alpha on Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:41 am

andyman wrote:I don't post about it much, but I will say that I hit 4 years without drinking this past January. Life isn't perfect or anything, but it's a lot better than it was, and I get to practise being a better son, brother, friend, etc. which is where much of the value is.

Well done, mate. This makes me very happy to read. You should be proud of yourself.
Tommy Alpha
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby night_tools on Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:17 am

Tommy Alpha wrote:
andyman wrote:I don't post about it much, but I will say that I hit 4 years without drinking this past January. Life isn't perfect or anything, but it's a lot better than it was, and I get to practise being a better son, brother, friend, etc. which is where much of the value is.

Well done, mate. This makes me very happy to read. You should be proud of yourself.

Agreed. I'm sorry we're not in touch more, but I'm very happy to hear that you're doing well.
I've had more than a few experiences which made it very clear that my relationship with alcohol was unhealthy and my ability to drink sensibly was diminishing.
I managed a month of not drinking, didn't miss it. Had a few beers last weekend, didn't enjoy them. Back off the booze for the foreseeable future.
andteater wrote:My ex wife never appreciated my music, but the men of the PRF do. This is important.
night_tools

Postby mrcancelled on Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:07 pm

I just realized that February 11th marked two years for me. Funny how much faster the second year seemed to go by compared to the first one. I absolutely could not have done it without this thread and without the folks who reached out to me after I'd posted about struggling. I will forever be grateful for you all.
mrcancelled
osama bin laden
osama bin laden

Postby Pasta on Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:26 pm

beginning weening. seeing a doctor on wednesday.
RSMurphy wrote:Everything I enjoy about metal: heavy, cool riffs, hooks, expressive vocals.
Pasta
Fucking Survivor....Fuck Cancer

Postby Boombats on Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:59 pm

mrcancelled wrote:I just realized that February 11th marked two years for me. Funny how much faster the second year seemed to go by compared to the first one. I absolutely could not have done it without this thread and without the folks who reached out to me after I'd posted about struggling. I will forever be grateful for you all.

That's huge, mrcancelled! Congratulations and thank you for giving the world the gift of yourself, in undistilled form.
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby Mason on Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:48 pm

Fell off a little bit recently. Nothing bad's happened, but it's very embarrassing. I can't be sure what triggered it, other than that things have been going well for me for a while now and I suspect that I have the tendency to self-sabotage. I don't know if anyone has experience with that kind of thing but I'm all ears.
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason

Postby Pasta on Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:33 pm

Going into Rehab this weekend.
RSMurphy wrote:Everything I enjoy about metal: heavy, cool riffs, hooks, expressive vocals.
Pasta

Postby tmidgett on Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:44 pm

Pasta wrote:Going into Rehab this weekend.

Good luck.

Please feel free to message me if you need someone to chat with, if you have computer access and stuff.

BEST
tm
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God

Re:

Postby Ripped_van_vinkl on Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:47 pm

Boombats wrote:
Marsupialized wrote:I used to drink to pants wetting unconciousness nearly every day. I barely drink anymore, I get what would be considered 'drunk' maybe once every 3 months at this point.
I started taking lots of pills that would make me violently sick if I drank on them so that made me stop drinking, then I stopped with the pills and the drinking didn't come back.

At first I thought you were talking about those prescription drugs that are made to Clockwork-Orange you into sobriety.

Ah yes, Anabuse, if I remember. Not crap.
Ripped_van_vinkl

Postby mrcancelled on Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:54 pm

Boombats wrote:
mrcancelled wrote:I just realized that February 11th marked two years for me. Funny how much faster the second year seemed to go by compared to the first one. I absolutely could not have done it without this thread and without the folks who reached out to me after I'd posted about struggling. I will forever be grateful for you all.

That's huge, mrcancelled! Congratulations and thank you for giving the world the gift of yourself, in undistilled form.

Thanks man!

Pasta wrote:Going into Rehab this weekend.

That's an awesome decision, I wish you the best and if there's anything I can help with please feel free to PM. And there's quite a few sober Chicago folks on the forum and in the city, so don't worry about lack of company.
mrcancelled
osama bin laden
osama bin laden

Postby Pasta on Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:34 pm

Home from medical detox. Tomorrow I check in for a more therapeutic approach to sober living.
Pasta

Postby Justin Foley on Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:02 am

Pasta wrote:Home from medical detox. Tomorrow I check in for a more therapeutic approach to sober living.

Welcome home, motherfucker!

= Justin
Justin Foley
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby steve on Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:24 am

Pasta wrote:Home from medical detox. Tomorrow I check in for a more therapeutic approach to sober living.

Great news, keep us posted.
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electricalaudio dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.
steve
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Tommy Alpha on Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:43 am

Well done, man.
Tommy Alpha

Postby jbar on Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:03 pm

150 days for me tomorrow.
jbar
satan
satan

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap