home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Abstaining from alcohol.

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Abstaining from alcohol.

Postby Pasta on Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:11 pm

Boombats wrote:they're coming out with an opioid-free heroin that gets you constipated without the high 8)

Goddamn, needed a good recovery joke. Had my first craving in months today. Hectic work morning, thought entered my head "I just wanna blow some steam off tonight." Breathed it out, went away. But, gotta acknowledge it. Knew that if it persisted, or came back, I had tons of people to talk it out with. Didn't, so didn't have to make extra calls. Just normal check ins.

You kick ass 'bats. Let's all keep going.
RSMurphy wrote:Everything I enjoy about metal: heavy, cool riffs, hooks, expressive vocals.
Pasta
Fucking Survivor....Fuck Cancer

Postby Boombats on Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:16 pm

Thanks everybody! Pasta, you got any ways to blow steam off without getting drizzy? You shouldn't have to keep that steam inside. Acknowledging it is great, but at some point that's not gonna be satisfying. May I suggest kicking a Proud Boy in the groin?
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby Pasta on Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:24 am

Boombats wrote:Thanks everybody! Pasta, you got any ways to blow steam off without getting drizzy? You shouldn't have to keep that steam inside. Acknowledging it is great, but at some point that's not gonna be satisfying. May I suggest kicking a Proud Boy in the groin?

I blew it off with much laughter between my boss lady and I over the rest of the day.
RSMurphy wrote:Everything I enjoy about metal: heavy, cool riffs, hooks, expressive vocals.
Pasta

Postby hench on Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:25 am

Boombats wrote: Oh yeah, 10 years today.

nice frickin' work - salut!
hench
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Mandroid2.0 on Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:24 am

I just started a Naltrexone/Topamax/Campral cocktail of drugs this week. I've tried the Naltrexone and Campral together before with absolutely no noticeable effect, but the doctor says that sometimes the Topamax is the key to making the others do their thing.

The Vivitrol shot did nothing for me, although that's just Naltrexone except you get a shot in the butt once a month instead of taking the pill each day.

I do not want to go back on the Antabuse. I got so paranoid about anything that contained even a maybe a little bit of alcohol in it (kombucha, vanilla extract, cooking wine), and taking it really just sort of felt like pharmaceutical prison, if that makes any sense. Yes, I couldn't drink, but I had no choice in the matter, so it wasn't really helpful in resolving anything mentally or teaching myself to not be so impulsive.

Got kicked out of my therapy group for now and am just seeing my therapist privately after my last binge and hospitalization. The one doctor who ever seemed to understand me and be willing to work with me on managing my alcoholism through alternative treatments retired last October and it's been crappy ever since then.

So much of my use is tied into a general pattern of self-destruction that it is so messy to sort out that no one knows where to start. I mean, do you deal with the PTSD first? And then which major trauma? Or the Bipolar Disorder? Or is this just part of the eating disorder that is still residual even though the other parts of that are gone? Or is it the anxiety, but then the anxiety is from all of the above...

I'm just very tired and very frustrated, and I guess I hope these drugs at least help me out a little bit.
"To be stupid, selfish, and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost."

-Gustave Flaubert
Mandroid2.0
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Pasta on Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:04 am

When I was actively in my addiction, and the problems were becoming EXTREMELY obvious, I would tell my Lady "I can't deal with the drinking, until I deal with my emotions having cancer". It's taken extended sobriety for me to even get a toe hold on the PTSD and other issues related to my diagnosis. I hope that makes some sense, Mandroid.
Pasta

Postby Boombats on Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:36 pm

Mandroid2.0 wrote:I just started a Naltrexone/Topamax/Campral cocktail of drugs this week. I've tried the Naltrexone and Campral together before with absolutely no noticeable effect, but the doctor says that sometimes the Topamax is the key to making the others do their thing.

The Vivitrol shot did nothing for me, although that's just Naltrexone except you get a shot in the butt once a month instead of taking the pill each day.

I do not want to go back on the Antabuse. I got so paranoid about anything that contained even a maybe a little bit of alcohol in it (kombucha, vanilla extract, cooking wine), and taking it really just sort of felt like pharmaceutical prison, if that makes any sense. Yes, I couldn't drink, but I had no choice in the matter, so it wasn't really helpful in resolving anything mentally or teaching myself to not be so impulsive.

Got kicked out of my therapy group for now and am just seeing my therapist privately after my last binge and hospitalization. The one doctor who ever seemed to understand me and be willing to work with me on managing my alcoholism through alternative treatments retired last October and it's been crappy ever since then.

So much of my use is tied into a general pattern of self-destruction that it is so messy to sort out that no one knows where to start. I mean, do you deal with the PTSD first? And then which major trauma? Or the Bipolar Disorder? Or is this just part of the eating disorder that is still residual even though the other parts of that are gone? Or is it the anxiety, but then the anxiety is from all of the above...

I'm just very tired and very frustrated, and I guess I hope these drugs at least help me out a little bit.

I have a friend with bipolar disorder, PTSD, and possibly schizophrenia as well. She does 12-step meetings and has developed a huge social support network. She's good as gold as long as she takes her psych meds and stays off of alcohol. I never thought of her as an alcoholic but I rarely drank with her so I don't know what her drinking was like, except that it would lead to a day where she missed her meds, then a day where she felt like she didn't need them any more, then day 3 she's naked in the street.
So what I'm saying is you can get what you need out of what's available, but you gotta work it. I'm not big on 12-step as far as a system for recovery, but it really depends on what you put into it and what you take out of it. If nothing else it's a good way to network.

May I ask why you were terminated from your therapy group?
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby El Protoolio on Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:55 pm

hench wrote:
Boombats wrote: Oh yeah, 10 years today.

nice frickin' work - salut!

Yeah that's fucking right on Boombats. I am super stoked for you. Keep it up!
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Frankie99 on Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:06 am

Hey Mandroid - you doing OK out there?

Today marks 7 calendar weeks of sobriety, or 50 days. Had a funny thing happen this weekend - a friend brought me a four pack of one of my favorite Texas IPA's called Yellow Rose as a thank you for a favor we'd done for his family. I couldn't say no, obviously, so I accepted it and put it in the former beer fridge. My wife had one, and I wasn't tempted in the least. She and I sat in the backyard, I had a fizzy water, and she drank the beer. No problem.

FF to yesterday afternoon - it's hot as balls, but I have to get the once per month bulky trash to the curb for pickup this week. We have a ton more stuff than usual because we've been trying to get the house totally organized. I get about half of it to the curb, go to get a gatorade, and there are the remaining three beers. Goddamn they looked really good, but I didn't cave. I mean, they looked like bottles of heaven in my fridge, but I didn't even reach for one somehow. So the first few "challenges" have gone well.

We're giving them away today.

Hope all are doing well out there...
Frankie99
junkballer
junkballer

Postby Frankie99 on Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:06 am

Hey Mandroid - you doing OK out there?

Today marks 7 calendar weeks of sobriety, or 50 days. Had a funny thing happen this weekend - a friend brought me a four pack of one of my favorite Texas IPA's called Yellow Rose as a thank you for a favor we'd done for his family. I couldn't say no, obviously, so I accepted it and put it in the former beer fridge. My wife had one, and I wasn't tempted in the least. She and I sat in the backyard, I had a fizzy water, and she drank the beer. No problem.

FF to yesterday afternoon - it's hot as balls, but I have to get the once per month bulky trash to the curb for pickup this week. We have a ton more stuff than usual because we've been trying to get the house totally organized. I get about half of it to the curb, go to get a gatorade, and there are the remaining three beers. Goddamn they looked really good, but I didn't cave. I mean, they looked like bottles of heaven in my fridge, but I didn't even reach for one somehow. So the first few "challenges" have gone well.

We're giving them away today.

Hope all are doing well out there...
Frankie99
junkballer
junkballer

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap