CRAP
14%
NOT CRAP
86%

Total votes : 163

Re: Re:

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:27 pm

countwatula wrote:
Brett Eugene Ralph wrote:Has any other punk rocker more gracefully made the transition to making "adult" music?

This is kinda fallacious I think. The Birthday Party had much, much more interesting, organic music, even if it was hidden in a racket. Last time I listened to Let Love In I remember lots of pretty ornamental stuff that didn't go anywhere, rote verse/chorus repetition and lots of 90s soft/LOUD dynamics for that cheap THIS IS REALLY CATHARTIC!!! effect. That's the stuff I'd call kid's music.

He's not a sellout by any means, but I never really got why people think he aged like fine wine, he kinda regressed in my book.

You misunderstand me. The Birthday Party is the second-greatest band of all time. Anything after that would have pretty much been a let-down (if not a regression). But I, for one, don't relish the idea of a fifty-year-old man writhing around on a stage in a diaper shrieking, "RELEASE THE BATS!!!" I think Cave found a way to keep making music that is viable without resorting to doing a watered down, middle-aged version of what he'd done as a young man (as, say, Iggy or Rollins or Danzig have done). He changed into something else--less incendiary, for sure; less awesome, in some ways--but still something very good, at least some of the time.
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:22 pm

Brett Eugene Ralph wrote:I, for one, don't relish the idea of a fifty-year-old man writhing around on a stage in a diaper shrieking, "RELEASE THE BATS!!!" I think Cave found a way to keep making music that is viable without resorting to doing a watered down, middle-aged version of what he'd done as a young man (as, say, Iggy or Rollins or Danzig have done). He changed into something else

Absolutely. I can get behind this sentiment. I just wish that his "something else" had a little more oomph sometimes...
OrthodoxEaster
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:49 pm

countwatula wrote:
Brett Eugene Ralph wrote:Has any other punk rocker more gracefully made the transition to making "adult" music?

This is kinda fallacious I think. The Birthday Party had much, much more interesting, organic music, even if it was hidden in a racket. Last time I listened to Let Love In I remember lots of pretty ornamental stuff that didn't go anywhere, rote verse/chorus repetition and lots of 90s soft/LOUD dynamics for that cheap THIS IS REALLY CATHARTIC!!! effect. That's the stuff I'd call kid's music.

He's not a sellout by any means, but I never really got why people think he aged like fine wine, he kinda regressed in my book.

It should be added that Let Love In is among his weakest releases ever. For me, the only real duds are Murder Ballads, The Boatman's Call, Nocturama, and Let Love In. I like pretty much everything else the man has done.
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Re: band: nick cave and the bad seeds

Postby choppy on Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:06 pm

Gramsci wrote:That is an impressive new head of hair Mr Cave is rocking!

First thing I thought upon seeing the album cover. His hairline is PROceeding...
Get friends, keep friends, be a friend, always.
choppy
penguinologist
penguinologist

Postby readandburn on Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:42 pm

I like Warren Ellis/Dirty Three well enough, but I think Mick Harvey was a much better "foil" for Cave.
readandburn
saddam hussein
saddam hussein

Postby NewDarkAge on Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:24 pm

The new one came in the post today.

On first listen, I really liked it. All the songs are strong, a nice mix of the pretty stuff and the dark rambley stuff. Seems like they made a concerted effort to scale it back kind of, maybe post-Grinderman. One thing that stuck out was the beautiful violin throughout (Warren dun good).

It's not gonna change your life, but I'll be damned if it isn't a great Bad Seeds album.
bishopdante wrote:BTW was not suggesting that my particular area of interest is buttocks, but it is normal for people of all sexes and sexual persuasions to be into butts, is not weird.

Sighthound
NewDarkAge
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby readandburn on Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:43 pm

Tom wrote:If you're going to get it on CD, you might as well get the fancy bonus version. It has a dumb book, but also a DVD and I think 2 extra songs for only $5 more.

Not 2 songs, 2 spoken word pieces.
readandburn
saddam hussein
saddam hussein

Postby whoisalhedges on Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:12 pm

The Firstborn Is Dead
Your Funeral, My Trial
Tender Prey
Henry's Dream
No More Shall We Part

These are all among my favorite albums of all time. Especially Tender Prey, which is top-20 material for me.
"Country music must go on!" -- Austin J. Hall, September 11, 2001
whoisalhedges
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Location: Where they put chili on spaghetti, BBQ sauce on kielbasa, and men on the moon.

Postby cneutron on Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:13 pm

Push The Sky Away?
More like Snooze the Sky Away.

Man, I am seriously disappointed in this one.
DL, D!!! was so thrilling to me I even grew an appreciation for Abbatoir Blues after the fact.

This one bites the bag.
Doesn't take away that all of the totally accurate things BER has said or how great previous albums were, but this one bummed me out with it's lethargy. Bummer town.
cneutron
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Dudley on Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:58 am

cneutron wrote:this one bummed me out with it's lethargy. Bummer town.

For the first time, it feels like NC is struggling to find things to write about. He sounds like he's lost and trying to find stuff to feel strongly about.

Without getting all "Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares" about it, I think the loss of Blixa Bargeld and Mick Harvey becomes more and more apparent as time goes by. It may just be coincidence (or a chicken/egg thing), but a lot of the violence and drive that made me love the Bad Seeds as a band has gone. I like a lot of the gentler music too, but they used to balance the two sides perfectly, with the harsh stuff (be it songs or just sounds within songs) highlighting the sweeter stuff and vice-versa.

To make their loss even more apparent, Grinderman seems like it got the rest of the violence and drive out of NC and WE's systems, leaving something that is accomplished and tasteful, but (to me) just not all that exciting or moving.
Seby wrote:How does the sting of marginalisation taste now, you pick-using oppressors?
Dudley

Postby aldofarian on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:34 pm

Dudley wrote: I think the loss of Blixa Bargeld and Mick Harvey becomes more and more apparent as time goes by.

I was discussing this exactly on a road trip a couple of weeks ago. Blixa added fine elements of anti-musicianship and danger that is lacking now. There doesnt feel like there any foils for Cave left in the current Seeds.
mort pété
aldofarian
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby encalmo on Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:20 pm

There’s something about Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds that says “Take me seriously!” that I’ve always found unengaging. The murder ballads/Old Testament vibe I find has a really unmenacing pantomime quality and too many of their songs are just dull (exhibit A: The Ship Song, an inexplicably overrated piece of work).

I’ve seen them live a few times and while the Bad Seeds are very capable at what they do, so is Nickelback.
encalmo
president
president

Postby Myshkin on Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:19 pm

Incredible band.
Myshkin
timex
timex

Postby howiemarx on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:13 am

Nick & the Bad Seeds put on an excellent show Saturday night here @ the Ryman. I do not own the latest release & have heard the criticisms. I'll get around to it.
Not Crap
howiemarx
osama bin laden
osama bin laden

Postby Auntie Ovipositor on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:36 pm

Not my favorite album by them, but I like it. It's very informed by the soundtrack stuff that Nick and Warren do, more so than the dreary ballad years, and I like that side of their collaboration. I love the Grinderman side more, but there's room for both.
The Loyalists are a rock band from Oakland, California
Auntie Ovipositor

Postby wellbutrin on Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:44 am

they fuckin killed it at the chicago theatre on monday. went all of the new songs, but definitely played them up way more than they sound on the record.

dude was on fire, has more energy than me and he's 55. had everyone people rush the stage and pissed everyone off that had real good seats though.
wellbutrin
carl yastrzemski
carl yastrzemski

Postby P.J. Craven on Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:50 pm

ty-lot wrote:Sick bro
P.J. Craven

Postby WeStartToDrift on Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:42 am

I can't get into Push The Sky Away. It feels too much like background noise with random mentions of Hannah Montana thrown in.

Live Seeds, Your Funeral My Trial, Tender Prey, and From Her To Eternity are my favorites. Live Seeds has some pretty awesome performances of the Henry's Dream material on it.

I think the 80's lineup with Kid Congo Powers & Blixa on guitars was their strongest, but I would have loved to have seen them a few years ago with Ed Kuepper as Mick Harvey.

On a side note, this is pretty funny:
phpBB [media]
WeStartToDrift
hindu
hindu

Postby jimmy two hands on Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:07 pm

PEPPER! wrote:
only here wrote:
Auntie Ovipositor wrote:
only here wrote:He's coming to the Seattle art museum for an exhIbit. I'm not sure what to expect.

That would be the other Nick Cave. He's a performance artist/costume maker. He lives in Chicago and his stuff looks like this:
hahaha! thanks for the heads up. i would have been really pissed if i did not know that before going. i already got tickets, but significantly less interested now. i'll post a NC vs. NC thunderdome if i like him.

go see it anyway! (the other) Nick Cave's work is trippy as shit. it's like if Hayao Miyazaki made costumes instead of movies, I really like his stuff.

This always gets me - when we're going to see an art show my wife will tell me a little bit about the artist, and she'll say something like "they were in that group show with Nick Cave" or "remember, we met them at that Nick Cave show" and I'm like "oh, so they're a musician too?" or "wait, you didn't come with everyone to see Nick Cave, you weren't feeling well." Every fucking time.

Both Nick Caves = NC.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby AdamN on Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:17 pm

Last edited by AdamN on Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AdamN
meadowlark lemon
meadowlark lemon

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap