14%
NOT CRAP
86%

Total votes : 163

Re: band: nick cave and the bad seeds

Postby enframed on Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:21 am

Good interview/story.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:10 pm

So...MUTE did sweet re-mastered re-issues of Cave's albums?

I'm seeing a bunch on boomkat.
AnthonyVillalobos
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Otto Parts on Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:20 pm

New Nick & the Bad Seeds song.

phpBB [media]
Otto Parts
les nessman
les nessman

Postby Mama Clortho on Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:13 pm

Never been a fan but I really dig that. Sounds like a lifting of the veil of bullshit. And Oren Ambarchi's Knots. Watched the trailer for accompanying film, too. Looking forward to both.
Mama Clortho
the white ho
the white ho

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:35 pm

Mama Clortho wrote:Never been a fan but I really dig that. Sounds like a lifting of the veil of bullshit. And Oren Ambarchi's Knots. Watched the trailer for accompanying film, too. Looking forward to both.

I go back and forth on this band. I liked a few early tracks, particularly 'Deanna,' but most of his ballad type stuff - like on Murder Ballads really makes my skin crawl. And not in a good way.

But I like this track.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Lesser Snake “Bali Gold”
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Pure L on Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:03 pm

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:I go back and forth on this band. I liked a few early tracks, particularly 'Deanna,' but most of his ballad type stuff - like on Murder Ballads really makes my skin crawl. And not in a good way.

I sometimes wonder if that's just part of the whole schtick (and I'm a fan). I can't stand Deanna and even a lot of his other sacred cows (God Is In the House, etc.) but, goddamn, his fans (like my wife) can listen to those songs over and over and over, apparently. To me, it's almost performance art at that point as I just can't imagine a sane person thinking those songs are worth performing but, hey, different strokes, etc.

I really dug the last record. This new song sounds a lot like those songs.
Pure L
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby Otto Parts on Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:08 pm

I heard the whole album today. It's a lot like the song posted above. Slow & atmospheric, "haunting" I guess is the word. Almost no drums. One song is a duet with the classical soprano Else Torp, just gorgeous. The lyrics seem mostly about the death of his son. Different from anything he's done before, I liked it a lot.
Otto Parts
les nessman
les nessman

Postby Mama Clortho on Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:45 pm

I gave it the most cursory of listens. A dickish I am a shallow entitled millennial with no attention span. I have downloaded this and will pass ultimate judgement on this work based on "Hmmmmm. *Skip* Uh huh. *Skip* Yep. *Skip*. I see" listen.

Second song sounds like the Postal Service.
Mama Clortho
the white ho
the white ho

Postby Ike on Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:50 am

Rough film on many levels, but never 'over the edge into oblivion', which was what I was expecting.

Warren and Cave's relationship seems genuinely deep and gorgeous--this record/song cycle is obviously them alone. Didn't need anyone else there, really, to complete what was happening (with the exception of one song and Jim Sclavunos).

Slow burn, but I loved it.

Watching it in 3D was trippy.
Ike
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Otto Parts on Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:07 am

I really like the influence Warren Ellis has had on Nick Cave. Although I thought the last Bad Seeds album with Mick Harvey as de facto musical director (Dig Lazarus Dig) was their best in a few tries, I also think they were stuck in a stylistic rut and needed a reboot. And Ellis has given them that. I have been a big Cave fan since the B-Party days, although I don't love every single thing he has done, but this new & recent stuff (including Grinderman, who are just rip-snortin') gives me cause for optimism. Nick might yet join Michael Gira and Scott Walker in the best-work-of-my-life-at-age-60 club.
Otto Parts
les nessman
les nessman

Postby 154 on Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:12 am

Saw the film and enjoyed it. I'm a casual Bad Seeds fan at best, I mainly went into it intrigued by the mixed format (more bands should be attempting stuff like this, even if it's just with GoPro cams and youtube).

The movie was pretty shocking in parts. It wasn't strictly linear, so when his wife and kid show up to the studio your gut sinks to the floor. The narration was much less cheesy than the trailer made it seem, and at times pretty damn funny. Ellis really is the perfect musical foil and I don't usually like 'knob twiddlers' that much. They have a pretty sweet musical relationship: they don't talk much, they just do. Very well put together as a film, if a bit meandering at the start.

The songs are loose to the point of almost seeming unfinished, intentionally. Most of the songs sit in the same droney range and may be tough to take as a whole, though that 'single' is growing on me.
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Seby on Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:41 pm

I love everything up to and including Let Love In. There are some great moments after this, but I am slightly baffled by a lot of it.

I can't remember how many times it is that I have seen them live. Maybe six or seven times? Very solid live show to say the least. Always several moments of comedy gold, and fab playing.
Seby
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby cneutron on Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:07 am

Absolutely cannot get down with the most recent one in any way, shape or form.
Really didn't like the last one either, except for maaaaybe 2 songs after repeated, interested listens.

This feels like a confessional, but here we are.
Still interested in seeing the new movie, I really liked the last one too, despite largely being bored by the music.

To be clear, I have nothing but respect and admiration for Mr. Cave and co.
But i'll keep going back to Let Love In, Abbatoir Blues Murder Ballads and DIG, LAZARUS! DIG!!! for my fix for right now.

Would love to hear more Grinderman as well, while we're at it. Seems to be almost the opposite of where he's at as an artist right now though. That's cool.

STILL - NOT CRAP
cneutron
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Angus Jung on Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:19 pm

Nick Cave: I'm performing In Israel Because of BDS

He has a past track record of pro-Palestine stances and charity work, so this is doubly perplexing.

In any case, this shit somehow ups the ante on Radiohead's smug arrogance.

Eno, Roger Waters, others respond.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Sprague Dawley on Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:39 am

without ever being a speccy collectory cunt one day i realised I had the first 14 studio lp's on vinyl. Fuck me I msut really like this cunt. Then I realised I had absolutely thrashed the entire canon to deth and didnt want to put any of it on any more.

Then came Push the Sky Away lp. Casiotone blip blop dullardry (Blixa and Mick harvey fucking off and too much Warren Ellis wrecked it I reckon) and Neeck somehow conjuring up images of Will Ferrell's Neil Diamond impression for the whole fucken lp. Straight away started selling all 14 lps on discogs.

Didnt even bother with a cursory listen for the new one.
Sprague Dawley
casio
casio

Postby Andrew. on Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:47 am

Angus Jung wrote:Nick Cave: I'm performing In Israel Because of BDS

He has a past track record of pro-Palestine stances and charity work, so this is doubly perplexing.

In any case, this shit somehow ups the ante on Radiohead's smug arrogance.

Eno, Roger Waters, others respond.

Cave has doubled down and called BDS "cowardly and shameful." Like "cowardly"? Jesus Christ what an ignorant, self-involved thing to broadcast across the world.

I had friends who were into him like 20 years ago or more, and I was open to it but it never quite took for me. Seemed like an Australian Tom Waits or something. Then I heard The Birthday Party at some point, maybe through FM Connor actually, and I was like "Oh shit, this I get." But I never came around to Cave and his murder ballads and whatnot shtick over the years.

Kind of ironic that he has no practical principles as a performer when it comes to the highly murderous Israeli apartheid regime and occupation. He should write a cool new dirge called "The Cowardice of Palestinian Children" or something.

The magazine I used to edit just profiled some Palestinian teens working on settlement farms who support BDS.

Cave wrote that lauded "dark western" film about the violent outback in the 1880s (all about white settlers of course) and now condemns people as cowards for standing up to a viciously violent and lawless settler-colonial regime in 2018.

More than 170 Palestinian civil society organizations called for the BDS campaign in 2005. It was explicitly a non-violent civil society campaign.

The BDS call was made on the one-year anniversary of a historic advisory opinion by the international court of justice. The court ruled that Israel’s separation barrier was illegal, that Israel had to dismantle it “forthwith” and offer reparations to those it had harmed, and that every signatory to the fourth Geneva convention – meaning nearly every state in the world – was under an obligation to ensure Israel complied with international humanitarian law. But Israel ignored the ruling, and neither the PLO nor the international community made a real attempt to enforce the court’s findings. “If there had been action on the part of the international community to implement the ICJ ruling,” Ingrid Jaradat, a founding member of the BDS campaign, told me, “there wouldn’t have been a BDS call.”

More than 170 Palestinian organisations from the occupied territories, Israel and the diaspora endorsed the BDS call. They spanned the political spectrum – leftists and Islamists, supporters of two states and of one. They included the Palestinian National and Islamic Forces – the coordinating body for every significant political party – as well as major trade unions, refugee camp committees, prisoners’ societies, artistic and cultural centres and nonviolent resistance groups, among them Sami Awad’s Holy Land Trust. Twenty-nine of these entities now form the BDS National Committee, or BNC, a leadership council.

The chief innovation of the BDS call was not in the tactics that it advocated: boycott and divestment campaigns were already pervasive in 2005, and even sanctions and arms embargoes had been proposed previously, including by the UN general assembly. What was new about BDS was that it took disparate campaigns to pressure Israel and united them around three clear demands, with one for each major component of the Palestinian people. First, freedom for the residents of the occupied territories; second, equality for the Palestinian citizens of Israel; and third, justice for Palestinian refugees in the diaspora – the largest group – including the right to return to their homes.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/a ... ian-debate

All of this is cowardice according to Cave, who refuses, above everything else in the world apparently, to be "shamed" about anything.

I guess that's what you call one shameless motherfucker!
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby numberthirty on Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:33 am

Andrew. wrote:Cave wrote that lauded "dark western" film about the violent outback in the 1880s (all about white settlers of course) and now condemns people as cowards for standing up to a viciously violent and lawless settler-colonial regime in 2018.

If you are talking about The Proposition, you might have missed a few minutes.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Andrew. on Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:06 pm

numberthirty wrote:
Andrew. wrote:Cave wrote that lauded "dark western" film about the violent outback in the 1880s (all about white settlers of course) and now condemns people as cowards for standing up to a viciously violent and lawless settler-colonial regime in 2018.

If you are talking about The Proposition, you might have missed a few minutes.

I have an absolute shit memory and I haven't seen or thought about the movie since it came out in, what, 2005 or whenever. If there's a reference in the movie to the violence of settler-colonialism against Indigenous peoples, and I wouldn't doubt there is, that merely makes Cave a hypocrite who is unable to act in life in a way that coheres with the pretensions of his epically conceived art. No big whoop there in terms of artists who fail to live up to the pretensions of their art with their own actions. But this isn't just "personal" inconsistency; it's Cave swaggering around on the world stage calling people who are engaged in an anti-colonial struggle cowards merely because he doesn't like how their struggle for justice makes him, the almighty Nick Cave the Artist, feel. Guess what shithead, your precious feelings aren't what matters. Get over yourself and do the right thing. It's not hard if you're not driven by ego.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Gas Station Carnivals on Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:31 pm

Am I really supposed to decided whether it's okay to like a person's music based on the politics of someone who once paid them to perform?

Can I be a Chris Paul fan even though his former team owner dropped n-bombs?
Gas Station Carnivals
pope
pope

Postby Andrew. on Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:13 pm

Gas Station Carnivals wrote:Am I really supposed to decided whether it's okay to like a person's music based on the politics of someone who once paid them to perform?

Can I be a Chris Paul fan even though his former team owner dropped n-bombs?

That's not an apt analogy. He went out of his way to play in Israel and to defy the boycott call. It's like going out of your way to cross a picket line.

I listen to the Ramones even though Johnny is a racist right-winger, but he just stands there and plays bar chords. Cave puts all this gravitas into what he does as a poet and troubadour, etc. People can still dig the music all they like and I'm not speaking to that. I'm just saying this reflects really poorly on him as an artist. I mean the Pixies, who basically sing about nothing, were still like, "OK, fair enough. Let's not play there. There's a boycott." They didn't even endorse the boycott. They just bowed out of the gigs. Not hard.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap