Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

CRAP
14%
NOT CRAP
86%

Total votes : 163

Re: band: nick cave and the bad seeds

Postby cneutron on Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:18 pm

Ike wrote:This new one isn't doing it for me at all.

I've only listened once so far, and I wasn't super blown away, but i'll give it another chance.

Ike wrote:The last two are the best albums of his entire run in my opinion, so I was PRIMED for this one.

Just seems flat.

I opined about Push the Sky Away when it came out, but after hearing Jubilee Street Live I came around to that song and another. Skeleton Tree did absolutely nothing for me. All respect!
There are still many Bad Seeds records I can listen to instead of those. I always love an artist doing big swings.
Not for me.

Ike wrote:I hope they bring Grinderman back TO ROCK.

Man, if there ever was a time for the visceral thrill that is Grinderman, it's now man.

Back to Bad Seeds.
I'm always blown away by how few people appear to have heard DIG, LAZARUS!!! DIG!
Which is the record before Push the Sky Away. about a quarter of it is a sleazy Vegas record and the songs are awesome.

Meanwhile, I was listening to people losing their minds over Skeleton Tree and (as said) it just... it isn't for me.
cneutron
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Pure L on Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:39 pm

I dig the new one. It's wicked mellow/emotional but, hey... Nick Cave. He's got enough great lyrics that the trite ones almost seem like a statement kinda-sorta. Nick dgaf.

Some of the synth-sounds though...

Yeah. Kinda goofy.

Pure L
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby cerebralheadtrip on Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:11 am

the cover rules as does the album. not really a headspace i want to or can imagine spending much time in however.

this is still funny
cerebralheadtrip
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:08 pm

I will never understand why they mixed the Tender Prey version of The Mercy Seat like they did. It’s pretty wild , predicted Godspeed You Black Emperor in a lot of ways, and it’s absolutely freakish but it still sounds like shit!
That type of Bad Seeds performance, where they sound like hurricane force winds in a way that only big rock ensembles can, is definitely their best stuff. I just wish they’d have committed to that sort of thing for a whole record more then they did.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Lesser Snake “Bali Gold”
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Zorg on Wed May 20, 2020 7:27 am

I'm partial to Henry's Dream. I think that rhythm playing Mick Harvey is doing there on acoustic is totally fantastic. I was a bit frustrated that they never repeated that sound, as I thought it dynamic and unique too. Sort of like a Violent Femmes, Pixies, Psycho Killer/Street Fighting Man sorta thing, but more baroque of course. As it turns out there was a story behind it:

São Paolo resident Cave is inspired to make a harsh, “violent” acoustic record – but the band is encouraged to use a producer. Famed Neil Young man David Briggs is chosen, but it’s not a happy outcome.

Cave: “The idea for Henry’s Dream for me came from being in Brazil and seeing these guys in the streets playing acoustic guitars that were really fucked up and hammering out these songs on them; a style of street singing that was in your face, but acoustic.”
Harvey: “Nick wanted there to be a lot of harsh acoustic guitar, and a lot of that is still there. But we recorded it in the wrong studio. We recorded it in a rock studio, Sound City in Van Nuys, California – perfectly decent, but not right for the Bad Seeds.”
Cave: “Those great Neil Young records sound like it’s some guys standing there, playing their music, and that’s the fucking end of it – so David Briggs seemed like the right kind of guy. But as it turned out… he was hugely… He… I mean, he was a fucking nightmare, that guy. I mean, [chuckles] he really was. I know he’s dead now and all, but, fuck, man. Each day he took it from being a violent fucked-up acoustic record to being a fucked-up electric record. But fucked-up in the wrong way. I put a lot of energy into the writing of that record, and then for each day to see it drift away… it was a horrible, horrible experience.”
Zorg
the white ho
the white ho

Postby bashar on Wed May 20, 2020 9:57 am

Nick Cave's whole post-Birthday Party body of work has this breathing-down-your-neck PUA/date rapist vibe that makes my skin crawl (not in a good way). The original goth-turned-"mature"-phony-spiritual-guru. Crap.
bashar
fan
fan

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap