Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Overall, which is the better system?

Super Nintendo.
80%
Genesis.
20%

Total votes : 64

Postby GrossOldWig on Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:22 pm

SNES had Super Metroid, Zelda III, Super Mario World, and Contra III, the 2D pinnacles of four classic series. Plus it had superior fighting games (MK and SF were better on the SNES), a better controller and better graphics.

Genesis had better EA sports games, better brawlers (Golden Axe, Streets of Rage), and better party games (4-player General Chaos and NBA Jam). It also had more weird stuff (Toejam and Earl, Altered Beast) and more gore (bloody MK, Eternal Champions, Splatterhouse 2 and 3).

They were both pretty cool, but SNES takes it for having a lot more games that I'm interested in playing over 10 years later. I can play Super Metroid again and again and again, and I can't really say that for any Genesis games that I remember.
GrossOldWig
chuck close
chuck close

Postby skatingbasser on Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:49 pm

Genesis, easily.

Graphics and button layout... fuck all that noise. Genesis was simply badass. "Super Nintendo" sounds like something a pedophile would buy to lure in children form the neighborhood.
"That man is a head taller than me.

...That may change."
skatingbasser
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby Ekkssvvppllott on Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:07 am

Bradley R. Weissenberger wrote:Please kill me if I ever post to this thread.

If I am already dead, then kill me again.

Hey Bradley, guess what? I'm more ascetic than you could ever hope to be, and yet, I'm not above authoring a poll such as this. What's more I loathe video games.

So fuck you.
busbus wrote:I threaten The States with my inevitable exodus on a regular basis.
Ekkssvvppllott
almost 1000 posts
almost 1000 posts

Postby fancyjamtime on Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:12 am

Mark Van Deel wrote:SNES wins just for Super Mario World. Perfect game.
Buster Bluth wrote:No mother, I can blow myself! You've interfered for the last time!
fancyjamtime
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby Bradley R. Weissenberger on Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:40 am

Ekkssvvppllott wrote:Hey Bradley, guess what? I'm more ascetic than you could ever hope to be, and yet, I'm not above authoring a poll such as this. What's more I loathe video games.

So fuck you.

I was going to play "NAME THAT FALLACY!" with the group, but to hell with it.

I'm going to change into my burlap one-piece and work out some math problems in charcoal on the back of a shovel instead.
Bradley R. Weissenberger
King Of All The Taverns

Postby Sebastian J. on Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:40 am

Most of you choose SNES cuz it was manufactured by an US Company, thinking that everything that you do is better than anyone else. ;P

MegaDrive/Gen of course was better, and it came straight outta Japan.

Although I admit that MKII was better on SNES.
Sebastian J.
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby tommydski on Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:31 am

I never owned or played a SNES but I still think it was probably the better console overall. Most of the good games on the Sega console were ported over anyhow.
run joe run wrote:Kerble your enthusiasm
tommydski
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Tommy Alpha on Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:28 am

Megadrive Vs. SNES?

Um... Megadrive for good times round my friends house... but for consoles? SNES- it had Mariocart fer gods sake.

SNES but Megadrive was probably more fun.
Tommy Alpha
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:38 am

Voting for Sega is like claiming Atari (forgot the model) was better for games than Amiga 500 about 20 years ago. It simply wasn't the case, deal with it.
caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
emmanuelle cunt
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby night_tools on Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:18 am

Like Tommy, I never owned a SNES when I was younger, and actually preferred the Megadrive. However having now played and loved Super Mario World, Super Metroid, Zelda, Final Fantasy III/VI, and Super Mario Kart, I would have to argue that the SNES had the better games. The SNES controllers were also better than the Megadrive ones.
andteater wrote:My ex wife never appreciated my music, but the men of the PRF do. This is important.
night_tools

Postby Linus Van Pelt on Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:52 am

SNES > NES
and
NES > Genesis

therefore

SNES > Genesis

Easy.
Why do you make it so scary to post here.
Linus Van Pelt
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby placeholder on Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:07 am

SNES was much better than the Genesis. This system has great fighting games, great platformers, and great walk-and-punch games. Many of my favorite games are on the SNES: Castlevania IV, Contra III, Super Punch-Out!!, Super Metroid, The Ninja Warriors Again, Final Fight 2 and 3, Pac-Man 2, Super Mario World, Parodius series. Good versions of some SNK fighting games, particularly Samurai Shodown and Fatal Fury Special.

I think I may start a poll about whether I should be embarrassed by enjoying videogames.

Sebastian J. wrote:Most of you choose SNES cuz it was manufactured by an US Company, thinking that everything that you do is better than anyone else.

Umm...the SNES was manufactured by Nintendo, right? They're a Japanese company! Am I missing something? I'm curious!
placeholder
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Dr. Geek on Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:20 am

placeholder wrote:Umm...the SNES was manufactured by Nintendo, right? They're a Japanese company! Am I missing something? I'm curious!

Yeah. A sarcasm meter.
My Radio Show: Hex Enduction Hours On 91.3 FM KXCI Tucson - Recent Playlists

Bringing you the best punk, post-punk, and noise rock from the US/UK and beyond! Every Thursday midnight to 3AM MST (stream online at http://www.kxci.org)
Dr. Geek
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Linus Van Pelt on Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:23 am

placeholder wrote:
Sebastian J. wrote:Most of you choose SNES cuz it was manufactured by an US Company, thinking that everything that you do is better than anyone else.

Umm...the SNES was manufactured by Nintendo, right? They're a Japanese company! Am I missing something? I'm curious!

No, you're not missing anything. The SNES was just the American version of the Super Famicom, which was indeed produced by Nintendo (任天堂株式会社, estd. 1889).

...has anyone else Googled "Super Famicom"?
Why do you make it so scary to post here.
Linus Van Pelt

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:28 am

I just did. Nice.. pads.
caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
emmanuelle cunt

Postby Ekkssvvppllott on Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:48 am

Bradley R. Weissenberger wrote:
Ekkssvvppllott wrote:Hey Bradley, guess what? I'm more ascetic than you could ever hope to be, and yet, I'm not above authoring a poll such as this. What's more I loathe video games.

So fuck you.

I was going to play "NAME THAT FALLACY!" with the group, but to hell with it.

My point was that even though I don't particularly like video games anymore, I believe this is a worthwhile poll - started it because I was genuinely curious to see how folks would weigh in on this, plus I don't mind looking back on a pastime that I was once, in another lifetime, obsessed with.

I didn't intend to imply that being ascetic is a precondition for disliking video games. It's just that I find it ridiculous that a grown man who owns a Babe Ruth ducky would reproach anyone for engaging in a discussion like this -- you may not like video games, fine, but evidently you do plenty of stupid shit. Perhaps you occasionally hang out at sports bars, for instance. One way or another, your projected high ground is strident and laughable.

Now, do you wanna churn butter, or do you wanna play Toe Jam and Earl?
busbus wrote:I threaten The States with my inevitable exodus on a regular basis.
Ekkssvvppllott
almost 1000 posts
almost 1000 posts

Postby Bill Swansea on Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:23 am

Marsupialized wrote:SNES, lotta good memories.
The Genesis was ok, but it always felt like I was cheating on the SNES when I plugged it in.

I felt the same after I got a PS2 after years of supporting Nintendo.

Still at least the Wii has got them back on track eh?

Despite that I must say Genesis/Megadrive, before there was Nintendo, there was Sega (for me).
big_dave wrote:Hark at this boy and his "we".

He was Welsh yesterday.
Bill Swansea

Postby japmn on Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:28 am

Sega did not have the best game ever made. Nintendo did.

Nintendo wins.
japmn

Postby placeholder on Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:15 pm

Linus Van Pelt wrote:
placeholder wrote:Umm...the SNES was manufactured by Nintendo, right? They're a Japanese company! Am I missing something? I'm curious!

No, you're not missing anything. The SNES was just the American version of the Super Famicom, which was indeed produced by Nintendo (任天堂株式会社, estd. 1889).

...has anyone else Googled "Super Famicom"?

LVP, I know this! They originally manufactured hanafuda cards! I own a Super Famicom!

I thought maybe the joke was that it's being called the SNES and not the Super Famicom in this poll, but it's called "SNES" in Europe and elsewhere, not just the U.S.

I'm still curious about Sebastian's comment!

Dr. Geek wrote:Yeah. A sarcasm meter.

Do you know what sarcasm is?
placeholder

Postby Bradley R. Weissenberger on Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:02 am

Ekkssvvppllott wrote:I find it ridiculous that a grown man who owns a Babe Ruth ducky would reproach anyone for engaging in a discussion like this.

Gift of cherished friend.

Acknowledged maybe ten seconds per month (ducky -- not cherished friend) while soaping/rinsing nutz, typically.

Also not "Babe Ruth Ducky 2008 - World Destroyer Collision 4: Enemies At War".

Ekkssvvppllott wrote:[Y]ou do plenty of stupid shit. Perhaps you occasionally hang out at sports bars, for instance.

Valid, but I can't remember the last time that I spent time at at this/these sportz bar(s). Was it Busters or The Crescent? However, I did hang out with my cool friend Robbie tonight. We told stories. I also spent some time with my iron-fed lawn, Andrew The Dog and Jonathan Broxton's okay fire-lit relief app3aranc3. I chose these things from among a set of pre-programmed options that I control with a small electronic paddddler, much like an elevator or Dick Cheney's heart.

He said as he typed on the internet.

Ekkssvvppllott wrote:Now, do you wanna churn butter, or do you wanna play ToeJam and Earl?

“I have Funkotron faith in him,” Yost said. “And as long as I have Funkotron faith in him, he doesn’t have to worry about Funkotron nothing.”

You see, it turns out that I am only a 2d-scroller fanatic.

Now back to the yak-milk self-flagellation.
Bradley R. Weissenberger
King Of All The Taverns

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap