Overall, which is the better system?

Super Nintendo.
80%
Genesis.
20%

Total votes : 64

Re: Either/Or: Super Nintendo versus Genesis

Postby Anthony Flack on Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:58 pm

I recognise it is a perverse choice, and probably only even tenable if you're in Japan, which I was at the time I was collecting these games. The Saturn has loads of excellent shmups, arcade ports and other 2d games which you won't see on the PS1 (because SCEA prohibited 2d games).
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby DregsInTheCrowd on Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:52 pm

MJongo wrote:
Anthony Flack wrote:Perversely, I think I might prefer the PC Engine to the Genesis though, and even more perversely I prefer the Saturn to the Playstation.

I definitely agree with the former. The best PC Engine/Turbografx 16 games have held up amazingly well over time. Bomberman '94, Dragon's Curse, Galaga '90, Alien and Devil's Crush, and about a dozen shmups are just as fun today, possibly even more so, than when they first came out. By contrast, I can't name a system that's aged worse than the Genesis. Waaaay too many ports of terrible late 80s/early 90s arcade games (stuff like Altered Beast where skill and reflexes came second to eating up quarters for continues were the "highlights" of its library before Sonic came along) and especially an inexplicable lack of battery-backed saving, (Sonic 3, the Phantasy Star series, the Shining Force series, and a few other games here and there being the only exceptions) which means games that take longer than a couple hours to beat are few and far between. By contrast, not only does every one of the SNES games I listed in my previous post utilize save files, but nearly every other Nintendo-published game on the system does as well.

The latter opinion, though, hell no.

Glad somebody brought up the TurboGrafx. There's a whole bunch of great titles for it. Splatterhouse, Rondo of Blood, the Bonk series, Ninja Spirit...fuck, what a great system. I could play Alien Crush for hours.
My name is Mike, and I play music in Stripper Deville.
DregsInTheCrowd
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby jbar on Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:32 pm

Snes had Earthbound, SMRPG, ff4 and 6, a superior Contra, superior Castlevania. Zelda. Yoshi Island. Mafuggin' Donkey Kong. Actraiser.

Genesis had Splatter House, Comix Zone ( fuck that game) and Sonic 1 through S&K. A better Alladin .Weak RPG section. Better music, most of the time. And uh... vectorman? Vectorman sucked.

The shared sports games are a toss up, but I never played NHL 95 on SNES .

I'm tempted to go Genesis just because Sonic was so, so very Rad, but SNES wins.

Seriously, Sonic carried that system.

Nice to be able to emulate both easily and portably these days.
jbar
satan
satan

Re:

Postby jbar on Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:39 pm

japmn wrote:Image

Sega did not have the best game ever made. Nintendo did.

Nintendo wins.

Oh yea, this game was a complete masterpiece, I remember spending days and weeks of my summer trying to speed run this game.

Mario Kart.

Kirby.

Harvest moon, even.
jbar
satan
satan

Postby Anthony Flack on Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:57 pm

The two Aladdins thing is interesting, huh. Two entirely different fuckin' games, made by two very different developers, both titans of the game industry.

Genesis Aladdin being the work of legendary Northern Irish programmer Dave Perry, of Earthworm Jim/Cool Spot fame, whose platform games with their hand-animated cartoon graphics set the standard for western Genesis platform games. He was already well-known in the UK for doing impossible things with British computers since the mid-80s - he even managed to make a version of Smash TV for the ZX Spectrum that wasn't horrible. Dave Perry could make any system look good.

Whereas Aladdin SNES is a Capcom game by Shinji Mikami, for fuck's sake. The guy who directed Resident Evil and the almighty God Hand. It's not as pretty as Perry's game, but IIRC it's not bad either. A more typically Japanese style of platform game.

It's interesting that they are different. You don't see that much these days.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Anthony Flack on Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:58 pm

I mean to say that Dave Perry could make the chronically underpowered Amstrad CPC do this:

phpBB [media]

So of course he was able to get an impressive performance out of the Genesis. Sega had good relationships with British developers going back to the Master System days, with both being industry underdogs. So there was a fair bit of European talent represented on the Genesis. Nintendo were always far more exclusive.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Germ War on Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:23 am

For those who haven't read it, "Console Wars" is a great book by Blake Harris about this very rivalry. He interviews numerous people involved on both sides, but it largely follows the story of Tom Kalinske, the former CEO of Mattel who was brought in by Sega to help them sell consoles. It's kind of a fascinating book that reminds you of the environment of those times (Nintendo had like a 98% market share during the NES days), and the way Sega changed the playing field following his arrival. I'd been a Nintendo lifer, but this book gave me a newfound respect for Sega.

Check it out.
Germ War
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby cjh on Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:22 am

I've been messing around with a Raspberry Pi of late - good intentions to expose the kid to basic coding have temporarily fallen by the wayside after discovering RetroPie. Of all the supported emulated consoles I've been hammering the Megadrive (as we called the Genesis over here) and Super Nintendo (which I never played back in the day). Super Metroid is but one happy discovery.

I think Sega had a considerable edge in UK during those years and I didn't know anyone with a SNES. NHL Hockey was a particular favourite in student hovels in the early 90s. If you'd have asked me until very recently I'd have gone with Sega in a heartbeat but I realize a lot of that is loyalty to happy memories. For now, I'm really enjoying belatedly exploring the opposition (said kid is nuts for Super Mario World, another joy).
cjh
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby Anthony Flack on Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:56 pm

From what I understand the key to Sega's survival in the console space in the 80s was in large part due to the fact that, even though Nintendo had a lock on North America and Japan and defended that territory with utter ruthlessness*, they couldn't give a shit about selling consoles anywhere else.

Hence the Sega Master System selling pretty well in Europe, Australasia and South America. Nobody had a NES in this part of the world.

* that 98% market share gave Nintendo the power to engage in some extremely shitty monopolistic behaviour in the US especially - like refusing to work with any developer who worked with Sega, and refusing to provide stock to any shop that sold Sega hardware. It's no wonder Sega started to work more with European developers and target the secondary markets.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby P.J. Craven on Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:16 pm

Genesis seems to have been superior for sports games. The NHL series—so choice. I had it while growing up. Many fine carts.

SNES is probably the best console ever for many reasons described here. ergospacepig said it best above. Perfetto. Magico. If I had all the monies and two-hundred years to live, I would build myself an NES/SNES lair. Unfortunately, I get approximately ninety years (if I'm lucky) and I have shit to do. If I become a shit and piss factory at around eighty-five, might not be such a bad idea to make the lair happen.
ty-lot wrote:Sick bro
P.J. Craven
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby monotremata on Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:35 pm

Definitely the SNES for me. I bought a Genesis in 93 because my best friend at the time had one. It was pretty cool at the time. Still love playing Sword of Vermillion with an emulator. But the SNES just had the better games overall. Finally got one of those in like 97/98 whenever the set that came with Killer Instinct came out. Super Metroid, Castlevania, Link To The Past, Super Mario Land, the Donkey Kong Country series, Killer Instinct, etc.. Those I still play time and time again. I really wish I would've kept it, Id still be playing it, but sold it to fund my N64 so at least there was that. Couldn't stand the original Genesis controller. I remember renting Super Street Fighter 2 for it and it was almost impossible to play it properly with only three buttons. I think you had to stop and hit the select button to change between the punches and kicks.
monotremata
webelos
webelos

Postby Model Citizen on Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:39 pm

cjh wrote:I've been messing around with a Raspberry Pi of late - good intentions to expose the kid to basic coding have temporarily fallen by the wayside after discovering RetroPie. Of all the supported emulated consoles I've been hammering the Megadrive (as we called the Genesis over here) and Super Nintendo (which I never played back in the day). Super Metroid is but one happy discovery.

Ooh, I've also got a Rasperry Pi and have even downloaded RetroPi ready and ordered a SNES controller but I while I knew it would be powerful enough for NES games, wasn't sure SNES would run too well, so that's great to hear.

To answer the poll, easily SNES. I actually bought mine on holiday in the US before it came out in the UK and loved it, even with the pain of converting it over, importing games, etc. I never really gelled so much with the Mega Drive besides Sonic (though did have a Game Gear and Master System), probably should delve deeper into its library, I'm sure I must be missing some real gems.

Super Metroid, Super Mario, Street Fighter II, Zelda, etc are all stone cold classics and stand up really well even now, I think.
Model Citizen
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby kokorodoko on Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:29 pm

SNES probably had better games overall, but the Megadrive had a cooler soundchip, a badass futuristic-looking controller and I have fun memories from playing it with friends. And it had blast processing.

Still: Megaman X, Actraiser, Castlevania IV, fucking Chrono Trigger. Super Nintendo it is.
Boombats wrote:I keep thinking of smarter shit to say about him [Jordan Peterson], but my gut reaction is "this nigga gay"
kokorodoko
a² + b² = c²
a² + b² = c²

Postby Model Citizen on Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:48 pm

The Megadrive/Genesis console did look cooler, especially compared to the horrible US Super Nintendo colour scheme.
Model Citizen

Postby Zorg on Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:47 pm

Its worth saying that SNES is 2 whole years younger than the Genesis. It's really a whole different generation in that respect. Turbografx never really took off in the states, but was the real rival for the mega drive. I was always a sega fanboy, and I think dreamcast is probably my favorite console ever, but back in this golden age you just couldn't lose. Well, unless you were a Jaguar supporter.
Zorg
names vacuums with eyes closed
names vacuums with eyes closed

Postby Anthony Flack on Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:50 pm

It's funny how the unprecedented success of the Genesis in the US was effectively what doomed the Dreamcast (and Sega) down the line. SoA didn't want to give it up. They fucked everything up with that damn 32x.

The Dreamcast is an excellent machine and had such an outstanding first year (probably Sega's finest hour as a first-party console game developer) but the PS2 ultimately ended up with so many great games by the end of its long life that I can't fairly say the DC was better. If it had lived longer, perhaps.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Model Citizen on Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:54 am

Zorg wrote:in this golden age you just couldn't lose. Well, unless you were a Jaguar supporter.

Ha, I got one for Christmas with Aliens vs Predator. If memory serves I had Tempest 2000 and Doom on it too, which was really good, but what a disaster of a system. Was eventually sold, which I now mildly regret for nostalgic reasons, despite its obvious crapness.
Model Citizen

Postby Robot McGearman on Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:13 am

SNES all the way. And while the super scope 6 was a cumbersome plastic bazooka of crap calibration, Battleclash was a fun shooter with a cool soundtrack.

phpBB [media]

Honorable mentions for the Genesis: Altered Beast, Streets of Rage 1 and 2, and a weird game called Flashback.
Robot McGearman
rose royce
rose royce

Postby Anthony Flack on Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:16 pm

Model Citizen wrote:Ha, I got one for Christmas with Aliens vs Predator. If memory serves I had Tempest 2000 and Doom on it too, which was really good, but what a disaster of a system. Was eventually sold, which I now mildly regret for nostalgic reasons, despite its obvious crapness.

Plus you had a copy of Tempest 2000, which is pretty much 100% of the reason anybody would seek out a Jaguar these days (or perhaps ever).
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Me Again on Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:09 am

Turns out, for me anyway, the answer to this poll would be...both...as I now have an SNES Classic and a Sega Genesis Mini. These are fun little machines, even if I rarely make a lot of time for gaming, as it competes with a lot of other interests.

If they come out with late '80s/early '90s arcade emulator console, one that has Rampage, Super Sprint, TMNT: The Arcade Game, Paperboy, and The Simpsons on it, I'll pick up one of them thair contraptions too.
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap