home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Either/Or: Sublime or Vanilla Ice

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Either/Or: Sublime or Vanilla Ice

Sublime
16
37%
Vanilla Ice
27
63%
 
Total votes : 43

Re:

Postby Boombats on Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:18 am

Yeah, that date rape song is as good a reason as any for their singer to die.

H-GM wrote:So it has come to the appreciation, or, ironic-appreciation, or, schadenfreude of some poor dick like Vanilla Ice who had no good songs; rather than appreciating Sublime who had at least one good song? You know it's a good pop song...stop hatin'. Let's take a look at the hot-shit mainstream singles of 1996:

H-GM wrote:6. Give Me One Reason, Tracy Chapman
7. Tha Crossroads, Bone Thugs-N-Harmony

Not Crap



Just want to add that in the film Cool As Ice, Mr. Van Winkle utters the line "I'm gonna go schling a schlong" and it's not part of a rap, just dialogue.
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
User avatar
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog
 
Posts: 20642
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:31 am

Re: Either/Or: Sublime or Vanilla Ice

Postby Me Again on Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:02 am

The mainstream hit singles from that year are largely hot garbage.

"One of Us"? "Breakfast at Tiffany's"? "You Oughta Know"? Metallica's "Until it Sleeps"? "Macarena"? Hootie & The Blowfish?

That's the kind of music you play for someone you're trying to force a confession out of. Rough sailing!
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
User avatar
Me Again
"kick a ginger day" victim
"kick a ginger day" victim
 
Posts: 1232
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:08 am

Re: Either/Or: Sublime or Vanilla Ice

Postby RSMurphy on Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:53 pm

Me Again wrote:The mainstream hit singles from that year are largely hot garbage.


True, but "My Boo," I mean, can I get a whut whut?

That BLACKstreet song is p dope too. Whatever happened to Queen Pen anyway? It's like she spit fire, then opened an all-girls bar, then bought a farm in upstate NY never to be heard from again.
WHALES CHICAGO USA THE MUSIC OF SOUND BANDACMP EP NOISEPOP

LTD. EDITION VINYL COPIES OF SIZE AND SCALE

Trey wrote:I think Randy is great.

Surfrider wrote:Come on Randy! You can do it!!
RSMurphy
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9761
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:52 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Either/Or: Sublime or Vanilla Ice

Postby Me Again on Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:43 pm

RSMurphy wrote:
Me Again wrote:The mainstream hit singles from that year are largely hot garbage.


True, but "My Boo," I mean, can I get a whut whut?


Don't know that one offhand. The Busta Rhymes track is pretty damn good, I'll give you that. And you could probably slip that Quad City DJs track into an RnB throwback night and a lot of people would roll with it. I like Outkast. There might be a few other passable things.

But some of that mid-nineties radio-rock pablum is the stuff of nightmares!
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
User avatar
Me Again
"kick a ginger day" victim
"kick a ginger day" victim
 
Posts: 1232
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:08 am

Re: Either/Or: Sublime or Vanilla Ice

Postby mrcancelled on Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:28 pm

Between the ages of 11 and 13 I was a total Sublime dork. I had all their stuff, VHSs of live shows and the documentary, a book, loads of bootlegs, I made a fucking website (which actually ended up getting a decent amount of traffic--I found an FTP server with loads of bootlegs and I put a lot of time into downloading them and uploading tracks to the site). I learned about Mike Watt and the Minutemen, Descendents, KRS One, Minor Threat, Bad Brains, along with some old ska and reggae from them, so I guess that's something. They also influenced me to pick up a guitar for the first time. Christ.

I still have a soft spot for 'em. A good bit of old nostalgia probably has something to do with this, but I think there's enough good tracks in their discography to come up with maybe an album and an EP of solid stuff. A few tracks off of Robbin' the Hood in particular still stand the test of time for me. The hits wore out for me quickly even as a young'n, and they sure have some terrible songs.

Catching them early enough where I didn't have much exposure to their fan base (outside of the internet) certainly helped.

Bradley had good taste in music for the most part and I thought he also had a great voice. Eric was a talented bassist.

So I guess my vote goes to Sublime, I've never made a Vanilla Ice website.
mrcancelled
charlotte rae
charlotte rae
 
Posts: 933
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:04 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Either/Or: Sublime or Vanilla Ice

Postby andteater on Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:53 am

mrcancelled wrote:Between the ages of 11 and 13 I was a total Sublime dork. I had all their stuff, VHSs of live shows and the documentary, a book, loads of bootlegs, I made a fucking website (which actually ended up getting a decent amount of traffic--I found an FTP server with loads of bootlegs and I put a lot of time into downloading them and uploading tracks to the site). I learned about Mike Watt and the Minutemen, Descendents, KRS One, Minor Threat, Bad Brains, along with some old ska and reggae from them, so I guess that's something. They also influenced me to pick up a guitar for the first time. Christ.

I still have a soft spot for 'em. A good bit of old nostalgia probably has something to do with this, but I think there's enough good tracks in their discography to come up with maybe an album and an EP of solid stuff. A few tracks off of Robbin' the Hood in particular still stand the test of time for me. The hits wore out for me quickly even as a young'n, and they sure have some terrible songs.

Catching them early enough where I didn't have much exposure to their fan base (outside of the internet) certainly helped.

Bradley had good taste in music for the most part and I thought he also had a great voice. Eric was a talented bassist.

So I guess my vote goes to Sublime, I've never made a Vanilla Ice website.


WHY HAVEN'T YOU TOLD ME THIS BEFORE!
User avatar
andteater
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
 
Posts: 2189
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:29 pm
Location: pilsen

Re: Either/Or: Sublime or Vanilla Ice

Postby andteater on Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:56 am

also i should add that Tim is correct.

Sublime had good taste in music, Brad was great guitar player and had a fantastic voice. The rhythm section is tight as hell and you could make a hell of a playlist/compilation of their two albums and outtakes.

also they do the best Grateful Dead cover of all time, so there's that.
User avatar
andteater
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
 
Posts: 2189
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:29 pm
Location: pilsen

Re: Either/Or: Sublime or Vanilla Ice

Postby mrcancelled on Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:39 pm

andteater wrote:
mrcancelled wrote:Between the ages of 11 and 13 I was a total Sublime dork. I had all their stuff, VHSs of live shows and the documentary, a book, loads of bootlegs, I made a fucking website (which actually ended up getting a decent amount of traffic--I found an FTP server with loads of bootlegs and I put a lot of time into downloading them and uploading tracks to the site). I learned about Mike Watt and the Minutemen, Descendents, KRS One, Minor Threat, Bad Brains, along with some old ska and reggae from them, so I guess that's something. They also influenced me to pick up a guitar for the first time. Christ.

I still have a soft spot for 'em. A good bit of old nostalgia probably has something to do with this, but I think there's enough good tracks in their discography to come up with maybe an album and an EP of solid stuff. A few tracks off of Robbin' the Hood in particular still stand the test of time for me. The hits wore out for me quickly even as a young'n, and they sure have some terrible songs.

Catching them early enough where I didn't have much exposure to their fan base (outside of the internet) certainly helped.

Bradley had good taste in music for the most part and I thought he also had a great voice. Eric was a talented bassist.

So I guess my vote goes to Sublime, I've never made a Vanilla Ice website.


WHY HAVEN'T YOU TOLD ME THIS BEFORE!


Haha, it's one of my deep dark secrets.
mrcancelled
charlotte rae
charlotte rae
 
Posts: 933
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:04 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Either/Or: Sublime or Vanilla Ice

Postby Verbs & Nouns on Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:49 am

The first 7” I ever got was “Ice, Ice, Baby”. I loved that record.

I have never listened to Sublime.
Verbs & Nouns
grand
grand
 
Posts: 1000
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: Australia, South

Re: Either/Or: Sublime or Vanilla Ice

Postby enframed on Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:48 pm

I just want to apologize for starting this poll.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
User avatar
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 17013
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:06 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: enframed, Google [Bot] and 6 guests