No Trend?

Crap
No votes
Not Crap
100%

Total votes : 41

Re: Band: No Trend

Postby Verge of Light on Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:43 pm

OrthodoxEaster wrote:I might have a minor nervous breakdown if this doesn't hit stores sometime this year.

Thank you very much for your hard work on this. It'll be amazing to hear these songs properly mastered. I will be buying both versions. Psyched.
Verge of Light
life
life

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:48 pm

Thanks for your support, VoL and ALP. Will keep you posted.
OrthodoxEaster
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Redline on Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:55 pm

I still have the comp Widowspeak / Lydia put out, When Death Won't Solve Your Problems, it seems to be pretty complete.

But I'm pretty sure I'll have to have this new thing. Dang.
Redline
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:03 pm

Redline wrote:I still have the comp Widowspeak / Lydia put out, When Death Won't Solve Your Problems, it seems to be pretty complete.

It's a good one. Excerpts most (but not quite all) of what you need from the the first and second albums plus the early EPs.

The three previously unreleased songs on that ("Two Seconds...," "One Last Dream," and "Killing Me" [aka "the Cattle Song"]) from 1985-1986, are some of the best things the band ever recorded. Those are from the demos that got eventually got them signed to Touch & Go, recorded between the second and third studio albums. I'd love to spearhead a reissue containing more material from those sessions but I'm not sure that's in the cards, given the general apathy of the surviving band members. At any rate, I've always found that stuff to be far superior to what wound up on the subsequent proper LPs.
OrthodoxEaster

Postby Redline on Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:07 pm

Son, you've already earned your gold medal with the Toiling Midgets stuff.

Carry on!
Redline
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby RPortugal7 on Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:47 am

From what I understand these reissues are being authorized through Michael Salkind who played on both of these records
RPortugal7

Postby RPortugal7 on Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:19 pm

From what i understand these were organized through michael salkind who was the drummer on these recordings
RPortugal7

Postby a leg plaster on Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:05 pm

Pictures and write up from the insert of the Teen Beat material 12”.

Not sure if it’s in bad taste to post something like that (I will totally delete them if so), but a friend sent them to me when he got the two records this week and I figured some people here might be interested too. That’s the only clear picture I’ve ever seen of Frank Price that wasn’t from a part of the Flipside video.
(exaggeration)
a leg plaster
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby oZZma on Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:01 pm

a leg plaster wrote:
One of my favorite records all time would have to be their album Tritonian Nash-Vegas polyester Complex. Nothing in the fucking world sounds like this. It's actually the only one still in print (on Touch & Go, pretty sure.) and i can't reccomend enough that you pick it up. Songs like Without Me, Fred Reality and Choc-O-Jet are undescribable pieces of work. I can't even come up with a fitting genre to describe the album, but i would have loved to see this incarnation of the band in all their glory.

YESSSSS. That record is truly great and incredibly underrated. You're right, it's difficult to fit it into a genre, it's really unique. You also mentioned my favorite songs (although the whole record is great). It's so cynical, and pathetic, and moving (in a weird way). Highly recommended!
vade retro Santana
oZZma
duke ellington
duke ellington

Postby a leg plaster on Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:21 pm

Just saw a box set listed on Drag City. Looks like the real deal?

https://www.dragcity.com/products/too-m ... -teen-love
(exaggeration)
a leg plaster

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:02 pm

a leg plaster wrote:Just saw a box set listed on Drag City. Looks like the real deal?

Yes, official and band-sanctioned. Not some crappy bootleg. We finally finished this thing and found a known, reliable label that would do it to our ("our" being the reissue's coproducers') specifications.

The debut single, LP, and EP on vinyl. Exact repros w/all inserts. Plus the demos and two live shows (one never even heard before online) on two CDs. And a 42-page, interview-packed book about this era of the band that we worked on forever. In a box. W/a ton of other printed matter and surprises.

Been working on this for almost a decade, which this thread might bear out.
OrthodoxEaster

Postby four_oclocker_2 on Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:10 am

OrthodoxEaster wrote:
a leg plaster wrote:Just saw a box set listed on Drag City. Looks like the real deal?

Yes, official and band-sanctioned. Not some crappy bootleg. We finally finished this thing and found a known, reliable label that would do it to our ("our" being the reissue's coproducers') specifications.

The debut single, LP, and EP on vinyl. Exact repros w/all inserts. Plus the demos and two live shows (one never even heard before online) on two CDs. And a 42-page, interview-packed book about this era of the band that we worked on forever. In a box. W/a ton of other printed matter and surprises.

So rad! Pre-ordered it immediately. What was the deal with those reissues Digital Regress did last year?
EDIT- saw the previous page and that it wasn’t sanctioned by the band. Wild stuff!
Jazz Titan/Ruthie Cohen

KJ/HM/MH/DB

"I'm not in the Kiss Army. But I am in the reserves, and could be called up at any time." - Warmowski
four_oclocker_2
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Verge of Light on Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:02 pm

OrthodoxEaster wrote:

Hell yes! Looks amazing. Congratulations OrthodoxEaster!
Verge of Light
life
life

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:04 pm

Thanks, friends.

(The Digital Regress releases weren't legit. In fairness, the label had no idea. The drummer on the first single and the early demos (in NT for six months?) whored them out. But he didn't have permission from any of the main players in the band--the people who wrote that material. Plus, that demos LP looks kinda shoddy.)

I should add that we remastered all the Drag City NT stuff at Skye Mastering (aka Denis Blackham aka punk legend Porky Prime, now retired, I think) in Scotland and w/Carl Saff in Chicago. Even the live shit sounds ok now.
OrthodoxEaster

Postby edventure on Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:55 pm

Holy fuck! This is a godsend. Many thanks for making this happen!
edventure
thomas paine
thomas paine

Postby Angus Jung on Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:57 pm

edventure wrote:Holy fuck! This is a godsend. Many thanks for making this happen!

A dozen dead roses for all!
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Clyde on Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:40 am

I somehow missed the news. I am incredibly excited for this. Congrats to you, Fm OrthodoxEaster!
NewDarkAge wrote:Dialectics, mate. No easy answers.
Clyde
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:54 am

Thanks again.

I should mention that Drag City will be releasing several more digital "singles" from the box in the run-up to its release.
OrthodoxEaster

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:01 pm

Second "single" from the forthcoming Too Many Humans/Teen Love box set, the aptly titled "Reality Breakdown":

https://www.dragcity.com/news/2020-03-1 ... -breakdown

Drag City wrote:If you think today was bad, think about 1983! We had no clue, right? At the time, we needed bands like No Trend to point toward the subtext. Their cruelly negging anti-hardcore exploded into Washington DC back in '83, harshly contrasting DC's righteous straight-edge punk scene at the time. Satiric, sarcastic and diametrically opposed to the faddish stratification of youth subculture, No Trend's nihilistic rejection of the punk movement was itself a vital punk-rock expression. This savage mistrust in emergent cultural norms is familiar to us today, with little left in the government for the public to trust.

However, the arch expressions of satire should be distilled as entertainment, not dogma. Big mistake, folks! When viewed as music, the uncompromising noise of early No Trend was in itself a straightforward interpretation of hardcore angst, as evidenced in the track "Reality Breakdown". Jeff Mentges' delivery ranges from viscerally emotive to caustic pretension. Punk was a pose; this is a commentary. Stare deeply at your own reflection and ask yourself; are you in control of your own reality?

Unmistakable in tone and sound, the band continued to writhe in iconoclastic glee for a few more years, but these remasters of their earliest recordings, plus demos and a live set, showcase the stark industrial rage that had few rivals for unsettling sounds in a VERY unsettling era - now ready to inject into this new unsettling era! Listen to "Reality Breakdown" above and secure yourself a copy of the box set before they're all going. Look at what happened to the toilet paper, people - get a clue!
OrthodoxEaster

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap