Crap
No votes
Not Crap
100%

Total votes : 40

Re: Band: No Trend

Postby SecondEdition on Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:21 pm

OrthodoxEaster wrote:
SecondEdition wrote:1) Why not put it out on Dischord? Talk about irony.

2) Alternative Tentacles would probably be very willing to put it out, considering the reissues they did for the Dicks and the Mentally Ill.

3) I thought the master tapes were destroyed! (Edit: Oh, they are doing the source-from-vinyl reissue.)

1.) Funny you should ask. This very idea was proposed by Jeff Mentges. MacKaye was a bit bewildered but he at least pondered the idea. Ultimately, he opted to pass.

2.) I think Jeff might be looking for something more boutique-ish, but that's certainly worth proposing to the band.

3.) They were. Nobody can even find a safety master. Like you said, mastered from vinyl.

AT also had to source from vinyl for the songs from Kill From The Heart on the Dicks reissue. That just made me wish they'd just reissued the entire Kill From The Heart LP. That Dicks compilation reissue is kind of lacking, I have to say. But if AT was supportive before, it can't hurt to ask again. (The Dead Kennedys were referred to as being "helpful" in that article.)
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby a leg plaster on Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:32 pm

Thanks for that link OrthodoxEaster! Never caught that one. Guess that could be since it was literally just printed.

No Trend also remains one of my absolute favorites of all time. I can honestly say I feel strongly for all stages of their crazy existence.
(exaggeration)
a leg plaster
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby a leg plaster on Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:36 pm

SecondEdition wrote:
OrthodoxEaster wrote:
SecondEdition wrote:1) Why not put it out on Dischord? Talk about irony.

2) Alternative Tentacles would probably be very willing to put it out, considering the reissues they did for the Dicks and the Mentally Ill.

3) I thought the master tapes were destroyed! (Edit: Oh, they are doing the source-from-vinyl reissue.)

1.) Funny you should ask. This very idea was proposed by Jeff Mentges. MacKaye was a bit bewildered but he at least pondered the idea. Ultimately, he opted to pass.

2.) I think Jeff might be looking for something more boutique-ish, but that's certainly worth proposing to the band.

3.) They were. Nobody can even find a safety master. Like you said, mastered from vinyl.

AT also had to source from vinyl for the songs from Kill From The Heart on the Dicks reissue. That just made me wish they'd just reissued the entire Kill From The Heart LP. That Dicks compilation reissue is kind of lacking, I have to say. But if AT was supportive before, it can't hurt to ask again. (The Dead Kennedys were referred to as being "helpful" in that article.)

Jello had some nice things to say about them in that book by Steven Blush American Hardcore. Sounded like Blush did too, up until he claimed that Jeff accused him of ripping them off, causing to them part ways.

For some reason I can totally picture No Trend touring around the states in an old retired ambulance, like it was said that they did. Very fitting.
(exaggeration)
a leg plaster

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:18 pm

Info on the 20th anniversary screening of Jeff Mentges' film about Johnny Wad:

http://www.expressnightout.com/content/ ... owcase.php
OrthodoxEaster
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby sulfur)addict on Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:45 pm

I only have Too Many Humans but just based on that, Not Crap.

Seriously, that title track is Flipper-esque punk at its greatest.
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby a leg plaster on Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:50 pm

OrthodoxEaster wrote:Info on the 20th anniversary screening of Jeff Mentges' film about Johnny Wad:

http://www.expressnightout.com/content/ ... owcase.php

Thanks.

I remember trying to look into this film awhile back when I first bought More but like anything having to do with No Trend, info was sparse at most.

Is it safe to say he thinks very differently of his music and film careers? Seems that there's one he absolutely wants nothing to do with and another he's fine with providing some sort of promotion for.
(exaggeration)
a leg plaster

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:40 pm

Anyone know what's up with the Too Many Humans LP reissue?
AnthonyVillalobos
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:24 pm

a leg plaster wrote:Is it safe to say he thinks very differently of his music and film careers? Seems that there's one he absolutely wants nothing to do with and another he's fine with providing some sort of promotion for.

Not really. I suspect that Jeff Krulik is more keen on hyping this film than Jeff Mentges is. I could be wrong, but just a hunch.

I think Mentges is, to an extent, proud of both accomplishments. Just not all that interested in sharing them w/outsiders at this late date. Unless it's on his own very peculiar set of terms. I get the impression that it's all ancient history to him.

AnthonyVillalobos wrote:Anyone know what's up with the Too Many Humans LP reissue?

Not much. Still "in talks" w/one known label. But perhaps still open to other labels stepping up, as well. Not really sure. But if you know of anyone interested in reissuing this record, I can put them in touch w/the right people.
OrthodoxEaster

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:39 am

OrthodoxEaster wrote:
AnthonyVillalobos wrote:Anyone know what's up with the Too Many Humans LP reissue?

Not much. Still "in talks" w/one known label. But perhaps still open to other labels stepping up, as well. Not really sure. But if you know of anyone interested in reissuing this record, I can put them in touch w/the right people.

Man, I hope they find a label to put that gem out. Out of all records getting the reissue treatment right now, No Trend deserves it the most.

I wonder if Slitbreeze would do it? Not sure if they've approached SB, but it's worth a shot.

Or 4 Men With Beards. I can see them reissuing that, no hesitation.
AnthonyVillalobos

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:44 pm

AnthonyVillalobos wrote:Man, I hope they find a label to put that gem out. Out of all records getting the reissue treatment right now, No Trend deserves it the most.

I wonder if Slitbreeze would do it? Not sure if they've approached SB, but it's worth a shot.

Or 4 Men With Beards. I can see them reissuing that, no hesitation.

I agree, and thanks for the suggestions, Anthony. Yeah, both good ones. I'd jump to be on either label.

But let's see how things pan out w/the current label they're talking to. Sorry to be so cryptic, but I'm not really at liberty to say which one. If it falls thru, I'll suggest Siltbreeze and 4 Men...

The band's errr, eccentric way of dealing w/things also makes negotiations sort of funny.
OrthodoxEaster

Postby SecondEdition on Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:11 pm

For the laugh riot alone that is sure to ensue:

I suggest Kill Rock Stars.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition

Postby Snack Chips on Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:33 pm

SecondEdition wrote:I suggest Kill Rock Stars.

I bet Slim Moon and the KRS folks love No Trend. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he/they did.
Snack Chips
ernie
ernie

Postby SecondEdition on Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:15 pm

Snack Chips wrote:
SecondEdition wrote:I suggest Kill Rock Stars.

I bet Slim Moon and the KRS folks love No Trend. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he/they did.

Slim's not involved with KRS anymore to the best of my knowledge, but I suggested KRS because they make such a point of being a lot of things No Trend aren't - which is perfect for any label potentially re-releasing No Trend - and, more seriously, because KRS have organized many wonderful and lovingly put-together reissues in the past. They've always seemed like a really good, decent label to me.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition

Postby Snack Chips on Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:43 pm

The label is still a reflection of Slim's taste, even though he no longer runs the day-to-day operations.

Anyway, KRS had to resort to Kickstarter recently to try and raise funds for a reissue (which I believe resulted in them not raising the $$), so I'm guessing they aren't in a position to do something like this even if they wanted to.
Snack Chips
ernie
ernie

Postby SecondEdition on Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:50 pm

Snack Chips wrote:The label is still a reflection of Slim's taste, even though he no longer runs the day-to-day operations.

Anyway, KRS had to resort to Kickstarter recently to try and raise funds for a reissue (which I believe resulted in them not raising the $$), so I'm guessing they aren't in a position to do something like this even if they wanted to.

Aw shit that sucks. I wouldn't want KRS to go out of business. I know that 5RC had to be shut down recently, so KRS going out of business would be terrible.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition

Postby drporkchop on Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:54 pm

hi all -- i just felt like i needed to jump in here to correct any misconceptions. KRS is NOT financially insecure, happily. we decided to try using Kickstarter as a kind of larger-scale pre-order to determine interest in a 4 LP box set of the Kleenex/Liliput release because our cash flow has been restructured since Touch & Go went out of business last year. we now do our own manufacturing, which as you can imagine changes some of the things it's possible for us to do all at once. i thought it would be an interesting experiment to see if we could reverse the process using Kickstarter so i could free up money to manufacture the Thermals, Corin Tucker, and Elliott Smith records we have coming out this fall. however, the Kickstarter campaign didn't make it's goal, so instead we've moved the Kleenex vinyl release to 2011 and partnered with Mississippi Records on it, which we're all excited about. SecondEdition, thanks for your kind words. the deal with 5RC is that it was a label that was 100% reflective of Slim's taste, whereas KRS was always a collaboration. since Slim was leaving, we decided to make 5RC dormant until such time as he decides to start it up again. it wouldn't be right or possible to try and replicate Slim's taste! i've been doing my best since he left to curate the label with sensitivity to its awesome history as well as an eye to the future.

portia
drporkchop

Postby SecondEdition on Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:28 pm

drporkchop wrote:hi all -- i just felt like i needed to jump in here to correct any misconceptions. KRS is NOT financially insecure, happily.

Thanks, Portia. This is really good to hear. I mean, I figured that I would've heard if KRS was in financial trouble, but in these times many independent record labels are in trouble and don't often publicize it. I'm glad to be wrong.

We decided to try using Kickstarter as a kind of larger-scale pre-order to determine interest in a 4 LP box set of the Kleenex/Liliput release because our cash flow has been restructured since Touch & Go went out of business last year. we now do our own manufacturing, which as you can imagine changes some of the things it's possible for us to do all at once. i thought it would be an interesting experiment to see if we could reverse the process using Kickstarter so i could free up money to manufacture the Thermals, Corin Tucker, and Elliott Smith records we have coming out this fall. however, the Kickstarter campaign didn't make it's goal, so instead we've moved the Kleenex vinyl release to 2011 and partnered with Mississippi Records on it, which we're all excited about.

More Liliput in the world is a good thing. I'm glad that the reissue got worked out so that it's beneficial for both you guys and Mississippi Records.

How is doing your own manufacturing working out so far? Does it mean you put out smaller runs of albums, or not?

SecondEdition, thanks for your kind words.

No problem. I actually sent an email about trying to intern with KRS a few months ago. It was a complete fantasy, since I live half the US away from Portland, but well...I like what KRS does.

the deal with 5RC is that it was a label that was 100% reflective of Slim's taste, whereas KRS was always a collaboration. since Slim was leaving, we decided to make 5RC dormant until such time as he decides to start it up again. it wouldn't be right or possible to try and replicate Slim's taste! i've been doing my best since he left to curate the label with sensitivity to its awesome history as well as an eye to the future.

Never knew that about 5RC. I always assumed it had been shut down because of business, but this is, again, much more comforting to hear. How is Slim doing at Nonesuch?

So, uh...now that you've seen this thread...Would you be interested in reissuing No Trend's Too Many Humans and the 12" Teen Love EP if the band asked you about it? They're in negotiations with another label, apparently (other people on this board would know better than I would), but if that falls through...

Anyway, welcome to the board.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition

Postby Snack Chips on Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:19 pm

drporkchop wrote:hi all -- i just felt like i needed to jump in here to correct any misconceptions.

How dare you ruin some perfectly good Internet message-board speculation with actual facts!

A lot of great news in your message. Thanks Portia!
Snack Chips
ernie
ernie

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:26 pm

a leg plaster wrote:Is it safe to say he thinks very differently of his music and film careers? Seems that there's one he absolutely wants nothing to do with and another he's fine with providing some sort of promotion for.

Finally, a valid answer to your question. And an attempt to get this thread back on track.

This is pretty unwatchable and boring, but:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxRjmB1HVkw

Footage from the anniversary screening. Jeff Mentges says maybe three words about the film, refuses to answer any questions about the picture, wears a hat, and looks bemused. Jeff Krulik does pretty much all the talking. It is, however, a nice rogue's gallery of Montgomery County, MD, eccentrics.
OrthodoxEaster

Postby tocharian on Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:29 pm

a leg plaster wrote:Thought someone other than myself would love to see footage of these guys. I've loved them for a couple years now and this is the first time I've seen any live performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g778pbgesI

So fucking great.

Jesus look how young they are.

I'm not suprised at all they were Mark Robinson of Unrest's favorite "hardcore" DC band. There's an uncommon ear and esteem for melody there.

I adored No Trend as a teenager. Their music kinda sounds like everything good about being that age.
tocharian

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap