No Trend?

Crap
No votes
Not Crap
100%

Total votes : 40

Re: Band: No Trend

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:45 am

Ektro Records, Finland, run by Jussi from Circle, is releasing a CD anthology of insanely rare material by Mission for Christ, the only non-NT band signed to No Trend Records. Features the "Pennies from Hell" 7" (No Trend Records #4), a 1983 nine-song demo, and an unreleased session from 1984. Liner notes and curatorial duties by yours truly.

If you're reading this thread, this band will probably appeal to you. NT Guitarist Frank Price was in the final lineup, but unfortunately, no material featuring him has survived the ages. Still, if you dig that spiteful, harsh, outsider DC sound... :

http://ektrorecords.com/ektro.php

http://soundcloud.com/ektrorecords
OrthodoxEaster
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby a leg plaster on Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:52 am

OrthodoxEaster wrote:Ektro Records, Finland, run by Jussi from Circle, is releasing a CD anthology of insanely rare material by Mission for Christ, the only non-NT band signed to No Trend Records. Features the "Pennies from Hell" 7" (No Trend Records #4), a 1983 nine-song demo, and an unreleased session from 1984. Liner notes and curatorial duties by yours truly.

If you're reading this thread, this band will probably appeal to you. NT Guitarist Frank Price was in the final lineup, but unfortunately, no material featuring him has survived the ages. Still, if you dig that spiteful, harsh, outsider DC sound... :

http://ektrorecords.com/ektro.php

http://soundcloud.com/ektrorecords

Thank you. Will grab it no matter what, but it's a shame nothing with Frank by this band was ever to be heard by our ears. Would love to hear his guitar scathing in another band.

Oddly enough, I was giving Tritonian a spin the other day and I forgot how much I loved the song Space Disco, both lyrically and otherwise. Pretty sure I quoted it word for word earlier in the thread, but it's truly full of one liners and observations that few others but No Trend could make.
(exaggeration)
a leg plaster
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby a leg plaster on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:21 pm

Never had seen this stuff before...
(exaggeration)
a leg plaster

Postby sulfur)addict on Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:43 pm

Those are from my ex-girlfriend's blog, actually. She lucked into a million zines as a teenager when a record store in her hometown was closing.
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:01 pm

a leg plaster wrote:Never had seen this stuff before...

Needs to be copied, word-for-word, into the Former Harvey Danger Sideman: "Punk Rock Is Bullshit" thread. Or better yet, mailed to the author of that article.

Progress on NT reissue is slow but steady. Some very exciting printed material will accompany the final product.
OrthodoxEaster

Postby Verge of Light on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:49 pm

sulfur)addict wrote:Those are from my ex-girlfriend's blog, actually. She lucked into a million zines as a teenager when a record store in her hometown was closing.

Thank you / your lady for this. It was a fun read.

To think I could have seen them play in Denver (if I was allowed to go to shows at 10 years old).
Verge of Light
wolf
wolf

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:36 am

Thorough, crazy new article on the band and its "legacy":

http://www.thevinyldistrict.com/storefr ... ore-212660

Aside from the obvious mistake of Steven Blush referring to Blast First Petite as a "major label," it's a pretty solid.

Enjoy.
OrthodoxEaster

Postby hellholiday on Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:07 am

A coworker yesterday let me know she was listening to some Flipper and loving it*. So I played her some No Trend. She liked it in that "what the goddam fuck am I hearing" initial response. It was cool. I dont think though she'll revisit them again.

*(Turns out it was some Flipper Metallica cover.)
hellholiday
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:56 am

hellholiday wrote:Flipper Metallica cover

Ah yes, that golden early-'00s era in Flipper's career when they didn't even really exist as a band but somehow managed to contribute tracks to covers compilations dedicated to Metallica, NoFX, and um, Weezer.

It never ceases to amaze me what people will listen to.

On the other hand, I'm quite delighted that this young lady seemed to appreciate No Trend.
OrthodoxEaster

Postby mr.arrison on Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:46 pm

No Trend is absolutely not crap. I've moved from listening to Void nonstop to No Trend the past few weeks. I currently work in the Ashton/Columbia, Md area and it just blows my mind that something so hateful and misanthropic could have existed there 30+ years ago. Now it's just a surburban corridor of NSA, Hopkins Applied Physics Lab and Army base realignment hell/bullshit traffic jams. This band was WAY ahead of its time.

"Too Many Humans" is brilliant. The "Teen Love" 12" is total hate-art. "Die" might be the best song ever written. I wonder if there's any more information out there about about Frank Price, who seems to have been the real architect behind the band's attitude, lyrics and hate.

What's going on with the Blast First Petite reissues?
mr.arrison
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby SecondEdition on Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:00 am

mr.arrison wrote:

"Too Many Humans" is brilliant. The "Teen Love" 12" is total hate-art. "Die" might be the best song ever written.

QFT. Still one of the best noise/punk bands ever.

I wonder if there's any more information out there about about Frank Price, who seems to have been the real architect behind the band's attitude, lyrics and hate.

There's not much I know about him either, but everyone agrees he was a very, very tormented, miserable person from what I've read. It's sad that he was ousted from the band, considering he was the main creative force behind the initial recordings, and I wish there'd been at least another album with him at the helm, but on the other hand, how much farther out there on the limb can you get than "For The Fun of It All"? That song is practically a suicide note by itself.

Huge influence on some of my guitar playing, too. He managed to take Keith Levene and distill him down to extremely primitive, heavily delayed, shrieking three note guitar parts made up of nothing but totally warped hate. I play guitar like that sometimes in my new band and it's basically because of him.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:03 pm

mr.arrison wrote:What's going on with the Blast First Petite reissues?

I'd normally give a more detailed reply, but I am abroad at the moment. I line-edited 54 pages of liner notes and interviews for the first edition, Too Many Humans/Teen Love, some months ago. Intro has yet to be written. The rest now awaits a copy edit. Mastering is mostly complete. Layout and packaging still in progress. Band moves slowly.

Note to SecEd: I was told that "For the Fun of It All" was written by Jeff, not Frank, interestingly enough.
OrthodoxEaster

Postby A Landing Craft on Wed May 17, 2017 9:58 am

NOT CRAP. Just discovered them and love them to bits. The amount of changing styles and the mind-boggling variety is fascinating. Teen Love, Too Many Humans and Tritonian are fantastic things. Not a big fan of A Dozen Dead Roses though.

What's the situation with the Blast First Petite reissues? I understand that progress is slow, but I'm a very patient guy and I'm still looking forward to finally owning a physical copy of their oeuvre. In fact, I'm surprised that the original Blast First didn't licence Tritonian - possibly even More - especially since the label started to diversify with stuff like Acid Brass, Free Jazz, Noise, Pan Sonic etc.

And chalk me up for a copy of the Twin/Tone demo while you're here.
A Landing Craft
joseph cornell
joseph cornell

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:44 am

A Landing Craft wrote:What's the situation with the Blast First Petite reissues? I understand that progress is slow, but I'm a very patient guy and I'm still looking forward to finally owning a physical copy of their oeuvre... And chalk me up for a copy of the Twin/Tone demo while you're here.

Still working on it. The plan is for Too Many Humans plus Teen Love 2xLP, extra material TBD. Way too exhausting to do justice to everything in a box set. Hopefully, future deluxe editions of the other studio albums will follow.

The exhaustive interviews and liner notes for the booklet are more or less edited and done. Ball is now basically in the label's court, awaiting a master, layout, and their decisions about which songs go on which format. That all might take a while longer.
OrthodoxEaster

Postby a leg plaster on Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:43 pm

Always happy to hear a reissue update, no matter how slow of a beast No Trend is. Hey, we are closer than we were in 2010!

Saw this comment on YouTube from a former NT bassist and thought it was thread appropriate.
(exaggeration)
a leg plaster

Postby a leg plaster on Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:11 pm

(exaggeration)
a leg plaster

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:59 am

Looks like this is just the contents of half the Teen Beat CD (which contained demos and most of the first 7") on vinyl.

As to whether it's a blatant bootleg or facilitated by someone closer to the band, I have no idea. It sure as hell wasn't authorized by Jeff or Bob, that's for sure.
OrthodoxEaster

Postby a leg plaster on Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:34 am

That explains why I was so surprised to see it. I couldn't remember hearing about the Teen Beat CD stuff getting any sort of vinyl treatment for the reissue project.

In more official news, I saw Blast First Petite has a picture of Too Many Humans under their forthcoming releases section on their front page. It lists the package as an LP/CD + magazine. Is the magazine the format that the interviews and additional pictures/info has taken?
(exaggeration)
a leg plaster

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:59 pm

a leg plaster wrote:That explains why I was so surprised to see it. I couldn't remember hearing about the Teen Beat CD stuff getting any sort of vinyl treatment for the reissue project.

In more official news, I saw Blast First Petite has a picture of Too Many Humans under their forthcoming releases section on their front page. It lists the package as an LP/CD + magazine. Is the magazine the format that the interviews and additional pictures/info has taken?

Looking like it will be a 2xLP and a 2xCD. Both w/slightly different track listings. Both will have the LP and the 12-inch tracks. Other goodies sprinkled in will be format-specific.

Both accompanied by some kind of magazine or giant pamphlet including thorough interviews w/all surviving members from '82 thru the middle of '84 (except for, I think, Chris Niblack) and archived fanzine interviews to give a voice to those who did not survive. Plus a ton of photos, flyers, video stills, and a timeline of personnel changes and major band events...

Still some work to be done, mostly on the audio and manufacturing fronts. I might have a minor nervous breakdown if this doesn't hit stores sometime this year.
OrthodoxEaster

Postby a leg plaster on Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:33 pm

God damn, that sounds good. Thanks for continuing to fill us in on all this, I don't think I've ever been as thrilled for a reissue.
(exaggeration)
a leg plaster

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap