Jean-Luc Godard?

Crap
13%
Not Crap
88%

Total votes : 56

Director: Jean-Luc Godard

Postby raygun on Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:43 pm

Searched. Some C/NCs for his movies, and some "Godard or XYZ" polls, but none for the man himself.

I have a friend who really likes Godard movies, so I've seen four or five of them with her. Weekend, Sympathy For The Devil, a few others. I disliked all of them thoroughly. There is something fundamentally irritating about his approach. Precious bullshit. There was one, I had to make the girl turn it off in the middle, some scene with two people wearing green who lived in the woods, one guy talking incessantly about the "soul of the poet", or something hammy. He just wouldn't shut up. It was too much.
I Dream of Lars Ulrich Being Thrown Through the Bus Window Instead of My Mystikal Master Kliff Burton
raygun
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Re: Director: Jean-Luc Godard

Postby Cranius on Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:47 pm

He was a great captain of the Enterprise.
Cranius
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby tocharian on Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:56 pm

A new print of Vivre Sa Vie will be showing at the Music Box very soon. Check out the wonderful new trailer.
tocharian

Postby owen on Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:02 pm

i wish i liked the music box more. they always show some rad stuff, but my god does their projector and screen suck.
owen
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby sunlore on Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:08 pm

Anyone see that talkshow bit from the 1990s were he completely flames Anna Karina, whom he hasn't spoken to in 20 years, and she has to leave the set, crying hysterically? Brutal.
sunlore
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby tocharian on Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:18 pm

raygun wrote:I have a friend who really likes Godard movies, so I've seen four or five of them with her. Weekend, Sympathy For The Devil, a few others. I disliked all of them thoroughly. There is something fundamentally irritating about his approach. Precious bullshit. There was one, I had to make the girl turn it off in the middle, some scene with two people wearing green who lived in the woods, one guy talking incessantly about the "soul of the poet", or something hammy. He just wouldn't shut up. It was too much.

:shock: Ta gueule, Raygun! You have not seen Band of Outsiders, Masculin/Féminin or Vivre Sa Vie. I know this because what you've just said would be completely impossible if you had. All perfect in every way.

What movie is the "soul of the poet" soliloquizing from, by the way? Godard often has his characters act pretentious and goofy, well, cuz who isn't from time to time. He's a very humane and humourous filmmaker, and, at the risk of sounding like an ass, you may have just been missing a joke.

Band of Outsiders is my all time all time favorite movie. Godard: NC.
tocharian

Postby owen on Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:20 pm

sunlore wrote:Anyone see that talkshow bit from the 1990s were he completely flames Anna Karina, whom he hasn't spoken to in 20 years, and she has to leave the set, crying hysterically? Brutal.

a rude frechmen? well i never. :D
owen

Postby Isabelle Gall on Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:26 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt1ARBahJH4

His best films (for me 'Weekend', 'La Chinoise' and 'Two Or Three Things I Know About Her') make me feel inspired, like I want to create, be open to new ideas, and live.

I've seen better films sure, but I don't think he was interested in making 'good films' necessarily.

NC.
Isabelle Gall
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Allan Sims on Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:26 pm

tocharian wrote:Godard often has his characters act pretentious and goofy, well, cuz who isn't from time to time. He's a very humane and humourous filmmaker, and, at the risk of sounding like an ass, you may have just been missing a joke.

Yeah, but to be fair, Weekend and esp. Sympathy are somewhat tough slogs.

Dude should at least see Band of Outsiders just to see how many filmmakers have ripped it off since.
Allan Sims
spoon bender
spoon bender

Postby Allan Sims on Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:27 pm

Isabelle Gall wrote:His best films...make me feel inspired, like I want to create, be open to new ideas, and live.

I've seen better films sure, but I don't think he was interested in making 'good films' necessarily.

Spot on.
Allan Sims
spoon bender
spoon bender

Postby tocharian on Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:31 pm

owen wrote:
sunlore wrote:Anyone see that talkshow bit from the 1990s were he completely flames Anna Karina, whom he hasn't spoken to in 20 years, and she has to leave the set, crying hysterically? Brutal.

I've read that Contempt is a fictionalized account of his estrangement from Anna Karina.
tocharian

Postby Jujyfruits on Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:32 pm

Easy, NOT CRAP. I know we can argue forever about his late work, but all of his early work is perfect and his influence on modern cinema is invaluable. I don't think that no one could vote crap seriously after watching À bout de souffle. Even if you're personally not amused by his movies or it's not your cup of tea, it's not crap.

Searched for this but found nothing. Someone has a link to the video?
Rick Reuben wrote:Don't be a dope and don't insinuate that Reuben doesn't tip, because Reuben tips like a king.
Jujyfruits
gus hansen
gus hansen

Postby owen on Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:37 pm

tocharian wrote:
owen wrote:

I've read that Contempt is a fictionalized account of his estrangement from Anna Karina.

i have read this as well. back in college i took a whole class on "the auteur theory" and we watched a good 9 or 10 of Godard's works. when going over Contempt i saw it as his reflections on that split, but who knows. you could say the same thing about woody allen's Husbands and Wives, but he swears it had nothing to do with what was really happening.
owen

Postby Nina on Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:45 pm

This, she is not crap.

(Thanks to Dr. O' Nothing for the link!)
Great art is horseshit. Buy tacos. - Bukowski
Nina
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby tocharian on Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:24 pm

Isabelle Gall wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt1ARBahJH4

His best films (for me 'Weekend', 'La Chinoise' and 'Two Or Three Things I Know About Her') make me feel inspired, like I want to create, be open to new ideas, and live.

NC.

Yes! My favorite moments from Band of Outsiders are Godard doing exactly the thing he’s not supposed to do... with electrifying results.

the minute of silence
the part where Anna Karina just starts signing that Jean Ferrat song
the characters reading the paper to each other.

Embrace the bad idea. Not a bad credo. Every 14 year old fucking around with his friends knows there’s no greater thrill or freedom than this.
tocharian

Postby D./Eksvplot on Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:32 pm

This poll has almost certainly been done before... unless I'm confusing it with the legendary _Weekend_ thread.

I heard about this incident, from a European acquaintence of mine a few years ago..he said the same thing, that it was an altogether unfortunate scene. (A quick Youtube search yielded nothing, lamentably... If anyone can locate this clip, please do bring it to our attention- that would be appreciated.)

Would recommend checking out the documentary on Godard and Karina featured on the second disc of the Criterion reissue of _Pierrot le Fou_. Definitely some intriguing corollaries there, between their relationship and Godard's various films from that era..You can see a progression, their love waning in various stages, almost allegorically at times (_Contempt_ was indeed informed to a large extent by their [by then]strained personal life...I f you notice, Godard had the main actor wear his own hat, and I remember hearing that he instructed Brigitte Bardot to "act like Anna" with regard to her mannerisms, self-presentation and so on, but there are other, more obvious, thematic similarities, too).

Was interesting to learn that Godard first saw Karina on TV, in a soap commercial, (which you can get a distorted glimpse of HERE). See, the way I understand it, part of what made their relationship increasingly problematic was that Godard (consciously or not) built Karina up to be a kind of symbol. At the risk of sounding oversimplified, it was through cinematic means that he apparently felt most close to her, so it was just a matter or time before the illusion faded and the joy of their love along with it. (In keeping with this Godard would go on to marry (and collaborate with) the heroine from Bresson's _Au hasard Balthazar_, Anne Wiazemsky, and evidently that too was a doomed relationship.

Godard? Easy Not Crap, despite his many faults. (Gonna have to reign myself in here and stop typing as yours truly has an insane amount of work to do.)
Rick Reuben wrote:Somebody has posted a tribute to Mouchette on youtube...but the person who made it set it to a 3 Doors Down song.
D./Eksvplot
JACKPOT!
JACKPOT!

Postby Isabelle Gall on Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:07 pm

D./Eksvplot wrote:At the risk of sounding oversimplified, it was through cinematic means that he apparently felt most close to her, so it was just a matter or time before the illusion faded and the joy of their love along with it. (In keeping with this Godard would go on to marry (and collaborate with) the heroine from Bresson's _Au hasard Balthazar_, Anne Wiazemsky, and evidently that too was a doomed relationship.

Apparently Anne's next volume of autobiography will cover the Godard years.

Now if only someone would translate it alongside 'Jeune Fille'.
Isabelle Gall
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby etch on Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:14 am

One of the greats for sure, Alphaville and Pierrot le fou are two of my favorite movies ever.
etch

Postby Nina on Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:32 am

etch wrote: Alphaville

Lemmy Caution is the best name ever created.
Great art is horseshit. Buy tacos. - Bukowski
Nina
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby tallchris on Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:07 pm

NOT CRAP. Pretty much untouchable from Breathless through Weekend, of course.

If you've only seen the more difficult films and haven't gotten along with them, I also recommend checking out A Woman is a Woman. Great example of the shot of life Godard and the rest of the Nouvelle Vague injected into cinema.

Post '68. . . I've only seen the Carmen and Virgin Mary films. Many beautiful shots in both films, but pretty boring overall. Haven't seen anything else.
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap