Jean-Luc Godard?

Crap
13%
Not Crap
88%

Total votes : 56

Re: Director: Jean-Luc Godard

Postby Me Again on Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:10 pm

Wood Goblin wrote:My second-least favorite major filmmaker, down there with Antonioni.

If there's an afterlife somewhere, assuming you have free will and aren't condemned to some kind of purgatory there, you should definitely try to hang with the spirit of Ingmar Bergman, who shared your distaste for these two directors while on Earth.
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby Wood Goblin on Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:26 pm

Bergman is great!
Wood Goblin
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby thelonelymastodronus on Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:32 am

The Image Book is a bit of a mind bender and pretty stellar. I think i need to watch it again.
P.S. Your taste is in your ass
thelonelymastodronus
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby oZZma on Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:22 pm

Me Again wrote:
Wood Goblin wrote:My second-least favorite major filmmaker, down there with Antonioni.

If there's an afterlife somewhere, assuming you have free will and aren't condemned to some kind of purgatory there, you should definitely try to hang with the spirit of Ingmar Bergman, who shared your distaste for these two directors while on Earth.

I hope there is a place near Bergman for me too. Love him and can't stand those two. :mrgreen:
vade retro Santana
oZZma
galloping gourmet
galloping gourmet

Postby Me Again on Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:02 am

Some of my favorite art, the kind that really has that "fits like a glove" quality, is sixties modernism in cinema*.

Though some of the better films Godard and Antonioni have made fall outside this ten-year period, and not everything they made then is essential, this loose subset of films would be sorely lacking without either director's contributions to it. I just couldn't imagine the sixties in cinema without things like "The Alienation Trilogy" and Red Desert, or Pierrot Le Fou et al.

* = Quick searched for "sixties modernism in cinema" and came across this list on Mubi. It has several titles I haven't seen, but it's missing a few key things from then (like Il Sorpasso; Ikarie XB-1; Fists in the Pocket; Ray's The Hero and others; Muriel or The Time of Return; The Naked Island; Tati's Play Time; Winter Light; Melville's films during this period; any American films; etc.). It's a decent point of departure though.
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap