Band : Megadeth

Crap
43%
Not Crap
57%

Total votes : 88

Re: band : Megadeth

Postby Anthony Flack on Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:27 pm

prowler wrote:hey you wimps, megadeth's classic stuff is nothing without dave's kooky voice

Sure, my point was only that Dave's voice was the reason it was futile for Megadeth to try to follow Metallica into radio dad-rock.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Adam Sr on Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:42 pm

What if the opening riff of Holy Wars was replaced by a snail infested with those fucked up parasites that grow out of its eyes?

Adam Sr
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby M.H on Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:47 pm

Peace… and Rust… are killer. First album is not quite there. So Far… sucks, they got the formula wrong on that record, but it was a weird interim line-up w/ way too many drugs involved. The music after Rust has never clicked w/ me, though I’m convinced that there’s something going on Countdown to Extinction. Have yet to crack that one yet.

Eh… I’m really split on this one. If you asked me to describe Megadeth’s music, I would be using a lot of negatives: Mustaine’s awful vocals, unusually stupid lyrics, the gimmicky look-how-fast-I’M-playing-THIS-scale-James guitar lines, the lack of any actually heavy riffs… But chuck on Peace or Rust and I’ll be pulling metal faces and air guitaring from start to finish.

Fuck it. N.C for those two records, those are as good as thrash got. Very, very high waffles though.
M.H
jose raul capablanca
jose raul capablanca

Postby total_douche on Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:45 am

Not crap for 90% of the music. Waffles for Dave Mustaine being Dave Mustaine. They were always a much more technically proficient band than Metallica, and I really loved the jazz element that Gar and Chris brought to the early albums. I mean, you listen to the Four Horsemen, then you listen to the Mechanix, and Lars' limitations become really apparent.

I used to really love So Far, So Good... So What! but most of that album seems kind of silly to me now. I once read a review to the effect that they tried so hard to sound threatening that it ended up sounding a bit silly. I'm sort of inclined to agree. And the production was horrible. Some songs are so treble-heavy that they're downright painful (the drums on Mary Jane come to mind). Dave's vocals on most of the album sounded like he had his head in a toilet bowl. Something about both Chuck and Jeff really rubs me the wrong way, too. Both of them just seem too generic for Megadeth, but that might be because my earliest memories of them were during the Nick/Marty years.

I haven't really listened to anything past Youthanasia. I did see them with Motorhead a few years back, and that was pretty great. Dave writes seriously great riffs. I used to want to be Dave Mustaine. I bought a King V and a leather jacket and taught myself to play sloppy pentatonic solos. I thought I was way cooler than I was. Than I realized that I did not, in fact, want to be anything like Dave Mustaine because Dave Mustaine is a royal prick.
total_douche
penguinologist
penguinologist

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:45 am

total_douche wrote:. I used to want to be Dave Mustaine. I bought a King V and a leather jacket and taught myself to play sloppy pentatonic solos. I thought I was way cooler than I was. Than I realized that I did not, in fact, want to be anything like Dave Mustaine because Dave Mustaine is a royal prick.

caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
emmanuelle cunt
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Bernardo on Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:25 am

I've realized today that their first three albums were all short (well under 40 minutes each), and that was still with one cover version each, it barely adds up to 90 minutes of orginal music for three albums.
And then you have Rust in Peace, which crams a lot of information into a not-so-short amount of time. Mustaine definitely did better sober. In the context of their discography that one really sounds like a fluke.
They were also a borderline thrash band, Peace Sells and So Far... stay mostly in the mid-tempo range.
Bernardo

Postby numberthirty on Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:05 am

total_douche wrote:Not crap for 90% of the music. Waffles for Dave Mustaine being Dave Mustaine. They were always a much more technically proficient band than Metallica, and I really loved the jazz element that Gar and Chris brought to the early albums. I mean, you listen to the Four Horsemen, then you listen to the Mechanix, and Lars' limitations become really apparent.

I used to really love So Far, So Good... So What! but most of that album seems kind of silly to me now. I once read a review to the effect that they tried so hard to sound threatening that it ended up sounding a bit silly. I'm sort of inclined to agree. And the production was horrible. Some songs are so treble-heavy that they're downright painful (the drums on Mary Jane come to mind). Dave's vocals on most of the album sounded like he had his head in a toilet bowl. Something about both Chuck and Jeff really rubs me the wrong way, too. Both of them just seem too generic for Megadeth, but that might be because my earliest memories of them were during the Nick/Marty years.

I haven't really listened to anything past Youthanasia. I did see them with Motorhead a few years back, and that was pretty great. Dave writes seriously great riffs. I used to want to be Dave Mustaine. I bought a King V and a leather jacket and taught myself to play sloppy pentatonic solos. I thought I was way cooler than I was. Than I realized that I did not, in fact, want to be anything like Dave Mustaine because Dave Mustaine is a royal prick.

He ain't no Dave Black. That's for sure.

154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby numberthirty on Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:08 am

Totally agreed on that the production/recording aspect did them no favors.

Perfect for King Diamond. Never seemed like it was perfect for Megadeth.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby prowler on Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:31 am

Bernardo wrote:
And then you have Rust in Peace, which crams a lot of information into a not-so-short amount of time. Mustaine definitely did better sober.

umm, i don't think Mustaine was sober for RIP...
prowler
"kick a ginger day" victim
"kick a ginger day" victim

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap