Not Crap
57%

Total votes : 88

Re: band : Megadeth

Postby Verge of Light on Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:24 pm

CRAP.

Dave Mustaine makes me angry.

His hair makes me even more angry.

That said, I've been listening to "Peace Sells..." since it came out. AND I still enjoy it from time to time (but always skip that stupid cover of "I Ain't Superstitious").
Verge of Light
roman
roman

Re: Re:

Postby FuzzBob on Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:40 pm

harrycaul wrote:
Dr. O' Nothing wrote:Levebrve and Debord

At the heart of MegaDave's animus against Metallica is that it was he who turned Lars onto Asger Jorn and the Situationists...a fortune lost because Mustaine spent his money on coke instead of art.

That's why Mustaine crashed their St. Anger sessions-- to chew Lars a new one over the Basquiat he sold. The whole being kicked out of the band thing just came as an afterthought.
FuzzBob
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Bernardo on Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:10 pm

I own and love Rust in Peace. I find their earlier stuff to be too much in the middle: not that fast, not that raw, not that complex, not that primitive, with songs that are nowhere near the league of Metallica's output from the same period (sorry Dave!). And their "radio" era is atrocious. There's an abyss between "Rust in Peace" and "Countdown to Extinction" that makes the black album sound like a slight detour. But Rust in Peace I like much more than anything Anthrax ever released, for an example. Take no Prisoners, Five Magics, Holy Wars, Polaris, that's the one where he got it right, with the right line up. Not sure I'd vote Not Crap based on that one alone, though.
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Re:

Postby RSMurphy on Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:59 pm

kerble wrote:from memory:

start trouble
spread pain
pissin venom
from your vein
talk nasty
breathe fire
smell rotten
you're a liar
smoke liquor
breathe snot
eat garbage
spit blood
diseased
health hazard
scum bag
filthy bastard
greasy faced
tooth decay
hair matted
drunk all day
abcess sunken vein
rot gut
scrambled brain
time has come
now you know
to your master
off you go.

CRAP.

Not bad, but you forgot the sweetness and light of...

Your brother's a gay singer in a stud leather band
Your girlfriend's got herpes to go with your hep and AIDS
There ain't one person you know you ain't ripped off yet.

Embarrassing, but I've got to say that I really dug Megadeth back in the day. Dave and Chris' guitar leads and arrangements were more interesting and weirder than James and Kirk's, especially on the first album. I heard Burzum's Filosofem for the first time a few weeks ago, and the recording immediately reminded me of Slayer's Hell Awaits and the first Megadeth record. And the bass sound is hands-down awesome.

"In My Darkest Hour" is the best song on So Far...So Good...So What. Lackluster record overall, but that song has really interesting chords and melodies.

Never heard Rust in Peace

I had a Megadeth poster on my bedroom wall which defined them as "The World's State-of-the-Art Speed Metal Band." Every time I see their name I always think of that cheese.

Voting Not Crap based on the first two almost-perfect records.

[/paints the devil on the wall]
WHALES CHICAGO USA THE MUSIC OF SOUND BANDACMP EP NOISEPOP

LTD. EDITION VINYL COPIES OF SIZE AND SCALE

Trey wrote:I think Randy is great.

Surfrider wrote:Come on Randy! You can do it!!
RSMurphy
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Ernest on Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:03 am

I started actively disliking this band when Mustaine let the crazy in him talk to the public, but I can't hate on a band that came up with this. Seriously, just get through the intro. Somehow the song itself doesn't do the guitar justice.

Marsupialized wrote:A bus will crash and there'd be three people stepping over injured children to get out saying 'fuck them' it's just how it is with people.
Ernest
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby scott on Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:57 am

Ernest wrote:I started actively disliking this band when Mustaine let the crazy in him talk to the public, but I can't hate on a band that came up with this. Seriously, just get through the intro. Somehow the song itself doesn't do the guitar justice.

I haven't listened to this album in years (though just recently found all my old cassettes and I think this one may have been in there, and if it's not, I'll buy a new one) and hearing the first riff after the intro I could immediately hear the bassline in my head. I never realized how sloppy Mustaine played. But damn if he didn't string together some cool riffs.

How many obvious punch ins were there on this track? Holy crap. I've seen plenty of live footage of him fucking slaying on rhythm guitar for entire songs.

Thinking back just now, the videos for Wake Up Dead and Peace Sells were major standouts on Headbanger's Ball back in the day, like, mindblowingly awesome for the time.

I'm happy to overlook everything after Rust and reaffirm my NOT CRAP position on these guys which is about 23 years running. I just have to ignore their past 20 years of output.
May the wings of Liberty never lose a feather
first show - last show
scott
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Ernest on Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:13 am

The sloppiness is kind of charming. It makes me feel good that I could play almost as well as him on a couple of tracks rhythmically, but I still suck at guitar. The guitar track on "Peace Sells" is particularly sloppy. I never realized how integral the drumming is to a typical thrash song before hearing everything else muted. The interplay is amazing.

It's the taco riffs, one after the other, that had me giggling. If you listen to "Holy Wars", you can see his talent for subtle shifts, and transitions that he gave up on when "Countdown" came out.
Marsupialized wrote:A bus will crash and there'd be three people stepping over injured children to get out saying 'fuck them' it's just how it is with people.
Ernest
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:28 am

Ernest wrote:I started actively disliking this band when Mustaine let the crazy in him talk to the public, but I can't hate on a band that came up with this. Seriously, just get through the intro. Somehow the song itself doesn't do the guitar justice.

I was only capable of suffering through two minutes of this. It could be I'm not a big fan of metal in general and Megadeth has pretty much everything I don't like in this genre and perhaps nothing I do enjoy. Everything (which is not much) I heard of them to me sounds like Kirk Hammet had a band. CRAP.

edit: 30-24 in favour of NC! :shock: What the shit, PRF?
caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
emmanuelle cunt

Postby Anthony Flack on Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:28 am

scott wrote:How many obvious punch ins were there on this track? Holy crap. I've seen plenty of live footage of him fucking slaying on rhythm guitar for entire songs.

Maybe he got a touch of the ol' red light fever? Also remember when he's tracking guitar he has to constantly fight back tears due to not being in Metallica.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Plastic Eggs on Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:02 am

Puffy sneaker thrash bullshit. MEGACRAP.
Plastic Eggs
gus hansen
gus hansen

Postby grumpyoldman on Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:12 am

i know everyone already realizes that Mustaine's crying scene in Some Kind of Monster made him one of the biggest pussies in the history of metal, but MAN... can you believe this guy?

he starts a band that goes on to sell 30 million records and is reduced to tears because he got kicked out of a band that has sold 100 million records... and then he starts going around telling people Obama was born in Kenya.

Fuck this guy and fuck this band... they're nowhere NEAR good enough to overlook what a fucking douche Mustaine is.
grumpyoldman
pope
pope

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:20 am

grumpyoldman wrote:i know everyone already realizes that Mustaine's crying scene in Some Kind of Monster made him one of the biggest pussies in the history of metal

Which really says a lot given the context.
caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
emmanuelle cunt

Postby Marsupialized on Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:26 am

He went to AA, accepted Christ and now associates with other cowardly loser brain damaged Christians exclusively, that's what they do, this is what they talk about.

Does not change the fact that there's several excellent tracks scattered around the discography up till Rust in Peace, after which he got sober.
What a strange coincidence that everything after sucks cocks bent sideways.

'What the fuck is this?' cracks me up every time.
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby Andy on Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:28 am

grumpyoldman wrote:Fuck this guy and fuck this band... they're nowhere NEAR good enough to overlook what a fucking douche Mustaine is.

Next you're going to say that "Strangehold" isn't eight minutes of the greatest rock and roll ever created, or that Appetite For Destruction isn't near-perfect, or something something David Allan Coe something whatever.
Andy
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby prowler on Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:44 am

Marsupialized wrote:
Does not change the fact that there's several excellent tracks scattered around the discography up till Rust in Peace, after which he got sober.

he was still a serious addict when they did Countdown (also a great album in my mind). I don't think he fully sobered up before the late 90s
prowler
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby grumpyoldman on Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:51 am

amelia wrote:Man, music is a personal thing. I grew up around this sort of music and I recognize that Mustaine is a few fries short of a Happy Meal but I can appreciate Megadeth. It brings back some great memories and well, it's this sorta music that inspired me to want to play. I understand haters gonna hate, but having people shit on something they have very little interaction with is kind of like the blind trying to tell you why a painting blows.

edit: Yeah, I voted NOT CRAP. What?

I get that. And I'm not saying I'm going to stop listening to Velvet Underground because Moe Tucker is a Tea Party protester... I guess Megadeth just doesn't do enough for me to make up for it.
grumpyoldman
pope
pope

Postby Marsupialized on Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:55 am

prowler wrote:
Marsupialized wrote:

he was still a serious addict when they did Countdown (also a great album in my mind). I don't think he fully sobered up before the late 90s

From what I read, He was dead sober for Rust in Peace. He got arrested right before and went to court ordered rehab. Maybe he relapsed later, but that is my understanding of when he got sober.

EDIT:
It seems he relapsed after that Countdown album, on the tour, says he was sober while making it.
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:19 pm

Dave Mustaine is a terrible vocalist even by thrash metal standards.
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:57 pm

grumpyoldman wrote:Mustaine's crying scene in Some Kind of Monster

I unfortunately have sat through that pinnacle of Metallica horseshit movie just once (thank God, just once), but didn't all of them cry? Metallica are straight up pussies now too.

I did enjoy the part where Mustaine was recalling a time he broke some dude's leg that was trying to start shit with Lars, but Lars was too much of a pussy to do anything about it.

As far as I can remember, Mustaine has been the only one that beat the shit out of people at all.

He knocked out Hetfield when trying to fight Lars. James thought he was pretty tuff, I guess. Apparently not.

As for Megadeth, they rule. I don't care how crazy Dave is now. He's old and is lucky to be alive after the amount of drugs he's done.

Not Crap.
AnthonyVillalobos

Postby scott on Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:00 am

Brett Eugene Ralph wrote:Dave Mustaine is a terrible vocalist even by thrash metal standards.

As a guy who can count thrash as one of my favorite genres ever, I totally disagree! I've always thought his vocals were great, maybe not the lyrics as much as the vocalizing. I have to correct my statement from earlier in the thread, when I said Reis I actually meant Froberg. And I forgot to mention, I also see a similarity in his timbre to Thalia Zedek. So dirty, in a way that's all dirt and grit, nothing approaching cookie monster stupidity.

Also, he has really good phrasing, especially considering the complexity of the rhythm parts he's playing at the same time. Great thrash singer!
May the wings of Liberty never lose a feather
first show - last show
scott
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap