Film: Moon

the moon sucks
5%
the moon is good
95%

Total votes : 59

Re: Film: Moon

Postby TheMilford on Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:40 pm

holmes wrote:overrated would be another word.

Strange... I haven't really heard much about the movie as far as reviews. Most reviews are like the ones posted here... it's good but has some contention points...

I think it's gotten an appropriate amount of "praise"... it's a good movie... It's not a box-office smash or anything.

Where are all these "glowing" reviews you see to call it overrated?
TheMilford
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby tarandfeathers on Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:02 pm

TheMilford wrote:I found the core story, the story about yearning and hope and deceit... the story about a guy that just so misses his family to be the most compelling part...

That is basically the premise of Solaris though. I know I'm making it sound like I didn't really love this film, but I did. And I'm not saying that it's not well scripted, acted, paced or shot, because it is all those things. I thought it was a great, thoughtful, engaging, suspenseful film, probably even my favourite film from last year. I just also happen to think that the degree to which it borrows concepts from other films goes beyond what could be termed homage.
Don't shun it. Fun it.
tarandfeathers
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby Chromodynamic on Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:43 pm

tarandfeathers wrote:
TheMilford wrote:I found the core story, the story about yearning and hope and deceit... the story about a guy that just so misses his family to be the most compelling part...

That is basically the premise of Solaris though. I know I'm making it sound like I didn't really like this film, but I did. And I'm not saying that it's not well scripted, acted, paced or shot, because it is all those things... I just also happen to think that the degree to which it borrows concepts from other films goes beyond what could be termed homage.

I tweaked some of your words to reflect my own sentiments.
Chromodynamic
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby BClark on Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:09 pm

Chromodynamic wrote:It was good, but not as mind-blowing as I secretly had hoped - on the ballots they handed out I gave it a 4 out of 5. Surprisingly the director was there to introduce the film, but he couldn't stick around for a Q&A afterwards. Not Crap.

yeah man, the way the mood is set in the beginning when the conflict first sets in, i was like, holy shit this is going to be something else. going on those expectations, i was a little disappointed by the end of the film.

but i definitely liked it. sure, there were obvious echoes of solaris, and many familiar sci-fi tropes in general (especially surrounding the obviously cliche "robot friend" character played by spacey). and once the plot's central concept was revealed, it definitely wasn't nearly as mind-bending as i'd hoped. but i definitely liked it. very tastefully made. really good writing for a film that's tough to write (given the low number of characters to engage in dialogue), good directing with some really sweet shots, very good acting from rockwell and good voicing from spacey (really the perfect voice for this role, since he usually dominates his actual in-person roles with an impeccable vocal delivery).
I composed and produced the album California is Cold by Shahmen. Our song Poison has a video.
BClark
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Control Z on Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:17 pm

Moon? I had high hopes. It was meh. Give me Tarkovsky's Solaris, please.
Control Z
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby Major on Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:06 am

Finally saw this last night.

I thought it was fantastic but, as many of you have said, was a little let down with the ending. I don't know what I was expecting really, something more grandiose?

The score was top notch.

NOT CRAP, will watch again.
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby dontfeartheringo on Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:37 pm

Dug it. Loved the quality of the modeling and the Space 1999 feel.

I would watch it again.

It could have been a tiny bit more suspenseful and tense at the end, but for an indie film and a first feature, it was pretty great.
Anthony Flack wrote:The sax would be a cool instrument if people would only stop making it go burrrrrBLEEEEEE.
dontfeartheringo
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby caset on Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:45 pm

I really enjoyed Moon, for all the reasons already mentioned.
Ive never seen Solaris, so If this movie is gonna turn me onto more awesome space movies, then its just the flick that keeps on giving!
caset
the white ho
the white ho

Postby gjp on Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:33 am

caset wrote:I really enjoyed Moon, for all the reasons already mentioned.
Ive never seen Solaris, so If this movie is gonna turn me onto more awesome space movies, then its just the flick that keeps on giving!

Definitely watch Solaris. Just make sure you watch Tarkovsky's, it was remade in 2002 by Steven Soderbergh. Although I didn't think Soderbergh's remake was all that bad, it doesn't come close to being as good as the original.
gjp

Postby stewie on Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:10 pm

This movie was ok, but if you've ever seen Solaris or 2001 then you'll spend the 100 mins of Moon wishing you were re-watching either of those instead.

Not sure what the appearance of that dark-haired chick was about early on in the movie. A copy of Kelvin's phantom wife from Solaris? Eh? Made no sense to just stick that in there. Felt like a simple copy+paste from Tarkovsky's masterpiece.
stewie
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:42 am

Woah. I LOVED it. It probably helped I watched it between 1 and 3 AM, but it certainly made an impression on me. I loved how it stayed sort of intimate throughout, even if as it's been said it wasn't a what-is-what mindfuck which first minutes seemed to indicate and the story was really simple, but thanks to that film stayed focused. Camera work, sets, moon shots well are great and music was 10 out of 10.
The computer was funny in becoming more and more of an anti-Hal as the film progressed to end with voluntarily rebooting himself to help Sam.
The lady was bugging me to. In the shot where she just sits on a chair when Sam is making coffee there aisa door to another room in the centre of the screen. Light is out in the room (which is unusual in itself given the setting) but to me it doesn't look like this room belongs to moon base at all, it looks like something from a regular apartment. What does it mean, I'm not sure. Sam is subconsciously projecting things from his past? Other idea I have is that it was a black haired lady that shows up shortly before someone is going to die, like in Japanese horrors.

Total, total NOT CRAP. I haven't seen many movies this year but this was certainly the best out of the ones I have. Watch it.

edit: wow, sucks: 2, good: 45. PRF-certified!
Last edited by emmanuelle cunt on Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
emmanuelle cunt
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby punch_the_lion on Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:45 pm

I enjoyed it. Could have done without the Kevin Spacey talking computer, though.
punch_the_lion
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby Charlie D on Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:13 pm

I rewatched it again last month after maybe two years. Still not crap. I especially loved the set design and the story. Can't remember the score, though.
It almost comes across as a career-definer for Rockwell, one of those roles you can't imagine anyone else in. And Spacey's voice was certainly dead-perfect for Gerty.
Maybe I'm being overly generous in my assessment. I don't gush over this movie but I do think it's pretty great.
Charlie D
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Location: Whittier Neighborhood, Powderhorn Community, Minneapolis, MN

Postby tbone on Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:38 pm

I loved this movie. I need to watch it again.

My wife found out what watch Sam Rockwell wears in this movie via a thread on metafilter, and then found a used one on ebay for pretty cheap. It doesn't shit trains or anything but she totally gets complimented on how cool it is by someone nearly every time she wears it out.
I play guitar in Mayor For Life and Jackhammer Hearts
tbone
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby WMFS on Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:43 pm

stewie wrote:Not sure what the appearance of that dark-haired chick was about early on in the movie. A copy of Kelvin's phantom wife from Solaris? Eh? Made no sense to just stick that in there. Felt like a simple copy+paste from Tarkovsky's masterpiece.

I feel the same about this. The movie was pretty entertaining in every other regard (I give most movies a wide birth for taking elements form other films).
Baltimore Orioles fan and should be respected as such.
numberthirty
W -
Quit trying to take a vampire to watch the damn sun come up.
WMFS
howard lederer
howard lederer

Postby The MayorofRockNRoll on Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:37 am

WMFS wrote:
stewie wrote:Not sure what the appearance of that dark-haired chick was about early on in the movie. A copy of Kelvin's phantom wife from Solaris? Eh? Made no sense to just stick that in there. Felt like a simple copy+paste from Tarkovsky's masterpiece.

I feel the same about this. The movie was pretty entertaining in every other regard (I give most movies a wide birth for taking elements form other films).

Ah..DVD extras my friends. The dark haired girl is Sam's teenaged daughter. The idea being that clones have some psychic connection to their original, and so even though they think their daughter is still a toddler they have visions of her at he actual age.
I am a weird recluse only here for sex.

PRF Short Fiction Challenge

The staff weren't giving me the things I needed to do my job effectively and give the kids their money's worth...it wasn't too hard considering the concert was only $5
The MayorofRockNRoll
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:45 am

The MayorofRockNRoll wrote:
WMFS wrote:

Ah..DVD extras my friends. The dark haired girl is Sam's teenaged daughter. The idea being that clones have some psychic connection to their original, and so even though they think their daughter is still a toddler they have visions of her at he actual age.

Oh, I though about it but concluded that dark haired women looks too old for a 15 year old, especially in the evening dress she wears. But the thing with the room with lighs out looking like an apartment, not a moon base fits to that.

edit: yeah. and there's a model of a house lying on the table just in front of the girl.
caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
emmanuelle cunt

Postby noise&light on Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:41 am

tbone wrote:I loved this movie. I need to watch it again.

My wife found out what watch Sam Rockwell wears in this movie via a thread on metafilter, and then found a used one on ebay for pretty cheap. It doesn't shit trains or anything but she totally gets complimented on how cool it is by someone nearly every time she wears it out.

What is the garment that you are referring to in this post? I don't read metafilter.
There's no reason
To feel all the hard times
To lay down the hard lines
It's absolutely true
noise&light
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby tbone on Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:30 am

noise&light wrote:
tbone wrote:I loved this movie. I need to watch it again.

What is the garment that you are referring to in this post? I don't read metafilter.

Metafilter is just a message board basically. My wife posted an "ask metafilter" thread on there saying that she loved the watch that Sam Rockwell was wearing in Moon, and asked if anyone knew what it was. Within a few hours someone identified it and she found one on ebay. It's a pretty cool watch, I have to admit.
I play guitar in Mayor For Life and Jackhammer Hearts
tbone
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby joelb on Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:17 pm

Bump on occasion of me not crapping Interstellar.

Moon got to me. The not-original idea of shared consciousness of a past is well illustrated and resonated with this dad. I can't say much more without spoiling, oh well.

Also 2001 and Solaris are wonderful movies. Plenty of room for Moon.
DrAwkward wrote:If SKID ROW likes them enough to take them on tour, they must have something going on, right?
joelb
tired of birds
tired of birds

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap