home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Equipment: Peavey

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

What does it fell like to be Peavey-powered?

Not Crap?
62%
Crap?
20%
Diarrhea?
18%

Total votes : 151

Equipment: Peavey

Postby Biznono on Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:05 pm

Ordinarily I would say Peavey = crap. But because of this -- http://www.freenortheast.com/red.php (you will have to scroll down) -- I will say diarrhea.
Biznono
cardinal
cardinal

Postby TheMilford on Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:12 pm

Their early stuff was great.
TheMilford
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Jeremy B on Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:51 pm

my first amp was a Peavy, way back in 91. i liked it cause it gave me this real nice, growling, Sepultura-esque, distortion. in retrospect though, maybe that was really just the voice of Dick Cheney being channeled through my blood-red amp.

-jeremy
Jeremy B
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby tmidgett on Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:55 pm

biZ! you have made me to see that adidas, they give all their money to fasc...republicans! what am i to wear for shoes??!?!?!

peavey, it is crap, but it is not crap when you are the 13yrs old montanan with no money, but want to play bass! then you buy p--vey tnt130 to rock the 130 'peavey watts' (= 10 ampeg watts).

but it is crap! no doubt! no gout!

speaking of gout....

my first amp was a Peavy, way back in 91. i liked it cause it gave me this real nice, growling, Sepultura-esque, distortion. in retrospect though, maybe that was really just the voice of Dick Cheney being channeled through my blood-red amp.

haha. when i was 15, i thought the peavey studio pro could sound like bob mould. i don't think it really did.
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Biznono on Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:21 pm

Yes, I too try to make love many times to the Peavey, especially to the TNT! She was all I had, but she was never good lovemaking. I think this is the thing about the Peavey. Is great that in the 80s she was cheap. But I never felt anything but remorse about having her and only her to make love to.

My brother, he struggled more than I did with a T-15, who always had terrible intonation, but whose bridge was useless to allow for the fixing of this problem. Then he plays this always out of tune guitar through a Destroyer...

Peavey amps in their names always captured something essential about the experience of playing them. I wanted to blow up the TNT. My brother wanted to destroy the destroyer. Our friend had a Bandit that he could get no one to steal (or was she Bandit because she stole, from the dreams of teenager, the possibility of good sound?!).

So, thank you, Peavey, for being an option. But you were the only option. And you did not sound good at all.

I say to you now, for giving of the profits earned from the monies of little dudes and girls to the Republican party, you are not even solid turd!
Biznono
cardinal
cardinal

Postby aaron on Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:36 pm

everybody had that fucking TNT, even me, and i don't even play bass. there's really no way around that thing. it just appeared on my doorstep one morning.

i have a peavey "rage 15" that i still use as a practice amp

CRAP
aaron
avery fisher
avery fisher

Achtung, Jerry!

Postby Rog on Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:46 pm

Nein, Schwein-Gott Italiener! Ich leiben meinen Peavey TNT.

Neinen Scheisse.
Roger Ewalt
Arch-Druid
Wisconsin Lunker League
Rog
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby tmidgett on Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:11 pm

Peavey amps in their names always captured something essential about the experience of playing them. I wanted to blow up the TNT. My brother wanted to destroy the destroyer. Our friend had a Bandit that he could get no one to steal (or was she Bandit because she stole, from the dreams of teenager, the possibility of good sound?!).

si! haha! bandit!

decade: you can play with the knobs for ten years, and you will not get a good sound!

deuce: is worth two dollars

5150: if you can swim from puerto rico (51st state) to hawaii, and crawl onto sandy beach w/water in your ears, and then you listen to latter-day van halen through an am radio, it will sound like this amp

VTM: VomitinTheMouth

audition: audio tin

classic: like being made to be sick by eating cla(ms).

studio pro: for professional studio musicians only!
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Angus Jung on Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:12 pm

I had a Peavey practice amp until about 2 weeks ago. I gave it away to a local music store to use for in-store lessons. I couldn't stand having it in my house anymore.

Maybe if its various knobs said "treble," "midrange," and "bass" instead of "soak," "saturation," and "malaise" I would have kept it.

I replaced it with a 20-watt mid-60s Airline amp. The knobs on this amp say "volume" and "tone."

Peavey = CRAP.
Airline, and the Airline family of brands that include Stella, Supro, and Valco = NOT CRAP
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Maurice on Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:40 pm

Well, there's the angle adjustment on one or another of the Peavey guitars--a friend owned it; I don't remember which model, but I set it up for him--which made my setup process easier. So not crap on that.

There's the VMP, which I don't know much about personally, but seems to have a good rep. Not crap on that.

There's the sound and feel of the guitars. Crap.

There's the sound of the little solid state amps. Crap.

More years ago than I care to admit, I bought a little Peavey practice amp used on a friend's behalf. I turned it over to him. It fried itself. Crap.

Then there's Biznono's link. Explosive diarrhea.
music every week | here, too | snwv

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I ask you: What the fuck?
Maurice
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Redline on Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:48 pm

Mostly crap. BUT big Waffle factor for T-40 Bass (ugly but good) and the CS-800 Power Amps. Solid stuff for cheap.

My buddy is in a Wedding band (The Five Card Studs, miles better than a "Normal" wedding band. They will be playing MY wedding next year). ANYWAY, he has great gear (Matchless / Marshall amps, '66 Telecasters, etc.) but his main Gig amp is some weird tweed Peavy thing. It takes a pounding! It will NOT die, it's been used and abused for over three years, and he doesn't have to worry about setting up and leaving the area, no one is going to steal it...
Last edited by Redline on Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Redline
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby joshsolberg on Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:26 am

The best thing about Peavey amps, their stunning durability, is also the worst thing about them for a cheap bastard like me. I spent a year and a half trying to kill my Mark III (is that what they're called?) bass head so I could replace it with something that didn't sound like complete ass. I did everything one could think of to kill an old solid-state amp: from spilling beers on it, to running entirely too many pedals through it, plugging it into paralleled 2 ohm speakers (for a total impedance of 1 ohm) and turning it all the way up (not just the master and the gain, I'm talking about cranking all the tone controls, the distortion, all the shit). Nothing worked. It still farted along just as it had when I found it in a friend's garage. I finally just relegated it to "practice amp" status. Fucker still works. Still sounds like ass, to boot...
If it wasn't for landlords, there would have been no Karl Marx.
joshsolberg
dag hammarskjöld
dag hammarskjöld

Postby toomanyhelicopters on Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:27 am

my third amp ever was a peavey. first was a crate B80XL. then i got an old SVT810 cab (70's or early 80's, i dunno) and picked up a fender 300W solid state head to power it. then a coworker needed some money and offered to sell me his peavey TKO for $100, so i bought it. i played guitar through it for quite a while, pretty much through the entire existence of fakir if i remember right. guitar into a boss DS1 into a peavey TKO. i was pretty happy with it. i thought it sounded fine. i ended up selling it several years later (after using it for probably 4 years) for $75. yeah, if i tried to play guitar through that TKO now i would probably barf, now that i have some great gear. but considering it got me through about 30 shows, i used it as a subwoofer for my boombox for a while, and then i sold it for only $25 less than i payed for it, i'd say that peavey TKO served a great purpose in my life. i think peavey gear can be a great part of a musicians learning curve. it also gives us all a sort of reference point... if there was no shitty gear, then good gear wouldn't mean as much, right?
toomanyhelicopters
priss

Re: Equipment: Peavey

Postby Lobster Magnet on Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:27 am

I'll go with not crap. Every company has good and bad stuff.
Lobster Magnet
les miserables
les miserables

Postby placeholder on Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:16 am

Last night, I am to watch these concert of the Roy Orbison on television publica. Is good show; so many the beautiful song! So many the good guy in band: the Elvis Costello, the Toms Waits, the Springstini, the James Burton, and ROY! Orrore! I am to seeing these stack of the Peavey amp on stage! I am to think James Burton is to picking the chickens through these Peavey! W T F? James Burton! Surely he is to know better!
placeholder
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby mattw on Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:33 am

The first amp I played on was the decade:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 79333&rd=1

Just like that, but bigger....

What a piece of crap. Of course it didn't help that most of the bands in school used it, but still. Every company has bad gear, sure, but none as widely varied in crapness as Peavey.
mattw
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby geiginni on Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:06 am

All Peavy's M.I. market stuff is pretty much shit. I had a friend who has a Peavey "BASS" head, that through cosmetic modification became the "ASS", which pretty much summed it up (ha, ha, it says ass). Through an Ampeg 8x10 cab it certainly achieved the aesthetic he was going for. My first practice amp was a Peavy 12" combo that was also totally ass....

Peavey's pro-audio stuff isn't too bad. It's not too good either IMO. I've spec'd a few amps before, though I'd just as soon spec a budget range QSC or Crown - even though the Peavy's can take a beating well. Their boards suck.

The only thing Peavy has that's actually good is the MediaMatrix and NION lines - which are a separate company, almost. They're great products thought, if you're looking for a digital DSP matrix with RS-232/485, CobraNET, unlimited piggyback expandability - it's a great solution. Because of their right-wing leanings, I'd be just as ready to use a Biamp, Yamaha, or other DSP solution instead.
geiginni
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby steve on Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:29 am

I like the way these Peavey company runs herself.

In these 1990s, when these live music begins to die, and these Peavey, she no make sell no many amplificatore, these Hartley Peavey, he make no reduce to the staff! He say, okay, you of the consruzzione d'amplificatore, you are no today to make amplificatora we can no sell! Today to replace roof! And you, of the hideous chitarra-bassa, you no make her today! You are to cut all of these grass on beautiful Peavey compound. So nobody to lose job! Is so cool!

I like that these produtti di Peavey they will work forever. This is so cool thing for young musician with the no even little money. So cool thing. And can wail away in these basement in Missoula, Montana or Dallas or Palatine. So cool to wail.

But is no so cool for the sound. And no so cool for money for Repubblicani.

Except, I like very much these T40 bass! I use her many times, and is cool! So heavy, like the lead metal. So cool the bridge. So ugly the logo.

Also, I no hate these Mark II, Mark III, Mark IV bass amplifier. Can be no so bad.

Also, these steel-chitarra player di Nashville, they are all to love these Peavey combo. I no like, but to them, is "the sound." Okay, okay. Maybe you know something old man, maybe you do. Me, I no like, but you can hear it and be "I love it the Peavey!" so okay.

Anything made the Peavey, if you find her today, even bury in landfill, you can plug her, and throw switch -- she will come on! She will make sound! She will sound bad, but who cares! You can wail with her! So cool!
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electricalaudio dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.
steve
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby gio on Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:17 pm

my first guitar rig was a mark III bass head with a 4x12 (or was it 4x10?). I had a squier strat and a metalzone. It was probably one of the the ugliest sounding guitar rigs in the history of amplified music, which was perfect for me because I didn't know how to play my instrument anyway.

The amp and cab are still somewhere in my home town. I loaned them to a friend haven't seen them in like 10 years. I probably won't see them for at least another 10. But yes, if I ever take them back, I can be sure they will work when I am seventy-five years old in case I want to let my teenage grandkids make loud noises on a solid-state relic.

Here in Chi, my band needed more vocal volume at practice. I found a peavey bass amp with a 15" cone sitting in the trash. It had poured rain the night before. I took the 75-pound thing and threw it in my back seat and carted it to my practice space. It works fine. It sounds like a rapidly oscillating high-volume low-frequency turd, but our vocals are now twice as loud at practice.
gio
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby dre on Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:06 pm

The bass player in my old band had a Peavey Maxxbass rackmount head. That thing sounded pretty damn good for $100 or whatever it was he paid for it. I also have a Peavy Classic 120 tube power amp that looks like shit but sounds really good too. The Mark II sounds decent as well.

I pretty much despise anything else I've ever heard that said "Peavey" on it though. I voted NOT CRAP simply because there are a few nuggets of sweet corn amongst the ass-filth that the company normally squeezes out.

Mmmmm.. Sweet corn.
dre
grover
grover

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap