home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Equipment: Peavey

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

What does it fell like to be Peavey-powered?

Not Crap?
62%
Crap?
20%
Diarrhea?
18%

Total votes : 151

Re: Equipment: Peavey

Postby WeStartToDrift on Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:17 pm

Ah, so now I see why Peavey has sucked for the past decade or so... They're all bizness.

Their solution to any problem is just throw money at it instead of really fixing anything.. And I totally get that Undercover Boss is a shitty reality show, but they're clearly crappy businessmen and raging dicks.
WeStartToDrift
hindu
hindu

Postby biscuitdough on Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:59 pm

Evanc521 wrote:Ah, so now I see why Peavey has sucked for the past decade or so... They're all bizness.

Their solution to any problem is just throw money at it instead of really fixing anything.. And I totally get that Undercover Boss is a shitty reality show, but they're clearly crappy businessmen and raging dicks.

Any boss who would go on Undercover Boss is an asshole. I'm not saying the rank-and-file can't be responsible for problems, but the willingness to spy says a lot about the character of the business owner.
biscuitdough
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby landspeednyc on Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:03 pm

My first amp (mid-80s) was a crappy Backstage+. later I had a 2x12" combo (hybrid solid state preamp/tube power amp?or was it the other way around).

Episode:
http://www.cbs.com/shows/undercover_bos ... ectronics/

Peavey statement:
http://peavey.com/news/index.cfm/id/816 ... %20to.html

CBS statement:
http://www.cbs.com/shows/undercover_boss/news/1003833/
landspeednyc
dock ellis
dock ellis

Postby squarewave on Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:23 am

I watched the episode tonight on the DVR.
The stepson, Courtland, seems like a special kind of entitled tool who makes management decisions solely based on the entries on a spreadsheet.

What bothers me about this is that I know for a fact that there is a general willingness in the marketplace to pay a slight premium for US made electronics items.
rocker654 wrote:(regarding jail) I can't recommend it. The toast is too rubbery, and the bellboys have too much snotty attitude.

steve wrote:I haven't heard your band, and you might not want me to.
squarewave
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby harpseal2 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:04 am

I have a Peavey Max115 or whatever bass amp, which is okay.

I also own a Peavey Bandit, which is THE WORST amplifier I think I will even play through. Fuck that fucking pile of garbage amp. I can't get a single good sound out of it. My fucking Cort Mx-15 (a shitty little practice amp that's 15 watts) blows this piece of shit away.

Fuck Peavey up the ass. Total CRAP, literally 0.01 waffle for that Walking Dead guitar.
scarnon
harpseal2
a² + b² = c²
a² + b² = c²

Postby elisha wiesner on Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:40 pm

Peavey: It's where you started, it's where you'll end up.
elisha wiesner
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby japmn on Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:42 pm

I plan on buying this to run my Rusty Box into as a bass rig. I've seen 3 for under $250 since moving to Portland.

Not bad for a tube poweramp. They made a dual 50 watt version too. I actually think the 50 watt is the one I am gonna hold out for.
japmn
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Ben Abraham on Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:17 am

japmn wrote:I plan on buying this to run my Rusty Box into as a bass rig. I've seen 3 for under $250 since moving to Portland.

Not bad for a tube poweramp. They made a dual 50 watt version too. I actually think the 50 watt is the one I am gonna hold out for.

let me know how that goes. I had thought about setting up a rig like that, but I'm using my RB into a GK 800RB at the moment.
Ben Abraham
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby Roy_Bokonon on Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:07 am

"Here is your chance to own a piece of history."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/one-of-a-kind-Plexi-Peavey-Masterpiece-50-/171314221800?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27e31f92e8

Edt: forgot to mention I voted NC because I think my T-60 is amazing. I tend to play it through a Backstage Plus with a busted reverb that acts as a wonky fuzz, so I guess my rig is a little Peavey-centric right now.
Roy_Bokonon
troll
troll

Postby holmes on Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:10 pm

In the UK you can pick up USA made Peavey strat/tele copies for £100 all day long. These guitars for the money are hard to beat. Just really good guitars. The only thing that's shit on them is the tuners. I'm not just saying this, they are really fun to play and sound good.
man with a mullet going mad with mallet in millets
holmes
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby garthplinko on Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:43 pm

I've got a ton of Peavey stuff. I love the old stuff a lot. But I remove all the logos from it because they're a shameful, scumbag company.

Need to make a "scumbag steve" meme for Courtland Peavey. Or just put the Scumbag Steve hat on a Bandit would probably suffice.
garthplinko

Postby tidalcast on Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:02 am

Love some of their amps, love guitars like the Patriot and the T-60, but man, what an absolutely sketchy, atrocious company. Not Crap for sound and build quality I've gotten(seriously, I've only had two amps, both from the early '80s, break; one of my Valvekings survived a beer being spilled into it after a gig; once it dried out completely, it was and still is absolutely fine and roadworthy), Crap for everything else around them. Kills me.
tidalcast
streetsweeper
streetsweeper

Postby Verbs & Nouns on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:13 am

Worth $200?

Peavey 800 Booster Head Amp and Speakers on Gumtree http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/1072957738

I wonder what the cabs are.
Verbs & Nouns
alan's bitch
alan's bitch

Postby harpseal2 on Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:29 am

scarnon
harpseal2
a² + b² = c²
a² + b² = c²

Postby bishopdante on Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:19 am

garthplinko wrote:I've got a ton of Peavey stuff. I love the old stuff a lot. But I remove all the logos from it because they're a shameful, scumbag company.

Have been gaffer-taping out the logo wherever I find it for a decade or more. Nobody whose kit I've modified in this way has complained.
bishopdante
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby garthplinko on Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:37 am

Verbs & Nouns wrote:Worth $200?

Peavey 800 Booster Head Amp and Speakers on Gumtree http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/1072957738

I wonder what the cabs are.

I would totally get that bananas-looking piece for 200 bucks. Good god, looks monstrous.

I believe you'll need a pre-amp though as I think it's under the category of "slave" amp. Throw a Rusty Box in front of it and you should be in good shape.
garthplinko

Postby zom-zom on Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:10 am

Yes, because if you cover the logo, absolutely nobody who cares can tell that it's a Peavey.

That's crazy talk. So many "scumbag" companies.. if you truly hate them then don't buy or use their gear.
zom-zom
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby garthplinko on Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:30 am

zom-zom wrote:Yes, because if you cover the logo, absolutely nobody who cares can tell that it's a Peavey.

That's crazy talk. So many "scumbag" companies.. if you truly hate them then don't buy or use their gear.

Oh I don't know about "CRAZY." Crazy would be an obsessive need to do this action - borderline mania. Like the first thing I would do after purchasing something.

Removing or covering logos takes all of 30 seconds with a power drill or 10 seconds with a strip of gaffer.

And it's not just Peavey, I think logos are just tacky and kinda gross. I'm not consistent w/ this action by any means - just depends on my headspace. Sometimes it feels like someone branded their penis on my gear and so good riddance. And other times I don't notice or forget.

I don't care what anyone "thinks" about the gear. If they like it or don't like it, they can ask me about it but I rather don't want to be helping advertise for anyone either - it's not like I'm getting any extra money for it - and I dislike it when it says "Peavey" even more now that they've gone to great lengths to show to the world what shitheads they are. *shrug*
garthplinko

Postby zom-zom on Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:42 am

I dunno.. I always thought that covering or removing logos looked goofy, unless the amps on a TV show or something where it has to be covered up. Otherwise it looks like whoever has the amp is trying too hard to be "cool" or whatever.

Gear is made by companies who put their names on it. I figure if you're using their gear, you're endorsing it anyway. I'm not going to use gear or instruments that I think are shit, so sure Marshall, Park, Ampeg, Fender, Gibson or whomever, advertise your stuff benignly while I use it. No problem.

I think most of us can tell an amp is a Peavey from yards away, logo or no.
zom-zom
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby garthplinko on Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:49 am

zom-zom wrote:I think most of us can tell an amp is a Peavey from yards away, logo or no.

True enough and I get your point. Behringer is another one I still see a lot of folks cover up too.
garthplinko

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap