88%
Farts From Hell
12%

Total votes : 25

Re: Death Metal Stalwarts: Morbid Angel

Postby Bernardo on Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:27 pm

BobbyPeru wrote:
AnthonyVillalobos wrote:Fuuuuuuuuuck.

I'd say Lulu is better based on the laughs alone. It's a terrible album made by old guys that still think kids care about driving their hotrods to the soda parlor to hangout in the parking lot and talk about werewolves, but I think everyone expected it to be shitty...and it followed through.

Clearly you're out of touch with teens of today.. heh

So if i were going to buy one (and only one) Morbid Angel record, which do suggest?

Hard question, probably one of the first three. The first one (Altars of Madness) is awesome, probably my favourite, but fairly different from the rest of their catalog, I hear it as a one-off. The second one (Blessed are the Sick) is where they more or less defined the sound of the rest of their career, I think the music is great, but the production may get in the way. The third one (Covenant) sounds much better, but IMO is not as inspired as #2. I'd try at least the first two records, or maybe the first and the third.
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby BobbyPeru on Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:22 am

Thanks man. I listened to Covenant on youtube and I'm liking it. Probably will move backwards from there. Someone needs to start a "Top 10 Metal Bands" thread. I'm enjoying revisiting a lot of bands I missed the first time around.
BobbyPeru
huey newton
huey newton

Postby M.H on Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:52 am

BobbyPeru wrote: So if i were going to buy one (and only one) Morbid Angel record, which do suggest?

Blessed Are The Sick. All the dual guitar brutality of the debut, less conventional song writing. It's so aggressive and well played that it starts to meld into this nightmarish psychedelic mess. It might be the best extreme metal album, for my money.

Great band up to and including Domination. Absolute mind fuck bizarro world musicians w/ a really nasty occult vibe. Always years ahead of their peers.

Bit of a shame what's happened since. The Tucker stuff is... ok, I suppose, just slightly regressive and genre bound. But the I album, stupid bad as it is, is exactly the kind of music I thought the original line up would have made back in the late 90's. Probably would have sold a shit load back then.

N.C.
M.H
kofi annan
kofi annan

Postby biscuitdough on Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:27 am

Another vote for Blessed Are The Sick here. But yeah, the first four are all worth your time.

I may be the lone dissenting voice in finding the production on Blessed to be listenable. Moreso than Altars or Domination, anyway.
biscuitdough
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Bernardo on Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:01 pm

biscuitdough wrote:I may be the lone dissenting voice in finding the production on Blessed to be listenable.

I agree, it's not that bad. I enjoy the record just fine.

biscuitdough wrote:Moreso than Altars or Domination, anyway.

God, no. Altars sounds perfect for what it is, Domination has that slightly overproduced vibe of mid-90's metal, but it works too.

The first couple Tucker records are interesting enough. I think they still carry the Morbid Angel blueprint just fine, but not in such an inspired manner (so I never really listen to them).
Bernardo

Postby blackmarket on Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:37 pm

BobbyPeru wrote: So if i were going to buy one (and only one) Morbid Angel record, which do suggest?

I'd recommend you buy three: Blessed, Altars, and Covenant. The best stuff, in that order. You probably won't need much else from them.
blackmarket
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby BobbyPeru on Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:56 pm

On a big MA kick right now.. been listening to Altars and Blessed alot lately. So good.
BobbyPeru
huey newton
huey newton

Postby Seby on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:36 am

All the way with Blessed are the Sick. Holy shit it is just one of the best albums recorded, from beginning to end. Just untouchable. From the intro, to the way that Doomsday Celebration segues into Day of Suffering, just...all of it. And the art! The cover art! ZOMG : )
Seby
charlotte rae
charlotte rae

Postby Seby on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:40 am

All the way with Blessed are the Sick. Holy shit it is just one of the best albums recorded, from beginning to end. Just untouchable. From the intro, to the way that Doomsday Celebration segues into Day of Suffering, just...all of it. And the art! The cover art! ZOMG : )
Seby
charlotte rae
charlotte rae

Postby first2letters on Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:36 pm

Total not crap, slight WF for that terrible last album with David Vincent. No waffles for the hair fans — those are awesome. I can hear their influence in Portal, who are also awesome. Trey Azagthoth is a fascinating dude and a monster guitarist — I love that his personal philosophy is equally informed by Anthony Robbins and the Necronomicon.
first2letters
robert rauschenberg
robert rauschenberg

Postby Bernardo on Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:14 pm

sweet metal kiss
Bernardo

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap