Pedro Costa

Crap
No votes
Not Crap
100%

Total votes : 4

Filmmaker: Pedro Costa

Postby Daveksvplot on Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:49 pm

There's a new boxset coming out on Criterion this Monday.

This week there was an article about it in The New York Times.

Color me excited.

So far I have only seen Pedro Costa's debut feature, Blood, via the DVD on Second Run, but based on that I will vote Not Crap.

Daveksvplot
jerry seinfeld
jerry seinfeld

Re: Filmmaker: Pedro Costa

Postby Daveksvplot on Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:55 pm

I watched Colossal Youth today.

It's a really good movie.

Those squares at the Onion A.V. Club gave it a C.

Didn't see that one coming.
Daveksvplot
jerry seinfeld
jerry seinfeld

Postby Daveksvplot on Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:42 am

Yesterday I finished In Vanda's Room--its narrative lacks a discernible arc so it took three hour-long sittings over the course of a few days for me to see the whole thing, and I'm still trying to digest it.

Some people consider In Vanda's Room the first ever movie that really did justice to the notion that digital video could be art... I don't know if I'd go that far, but it's way above average for a movie shot on standard definition, even if we ignore "the content"--which is noteworthy--and merely take in the images.

In Vanda's Room features a lot of drug use and people living in squalor--it's one of the more well-known movies to have been shot "in the ghetto"--but rather than being at all disturbing or seedy it feels very matter-of-fact, and Costa finds beauty in the most unlikely places. Indeed, for a movie centering around an emaciated heroin smoker and her downtrodden friends, it's reasonably cheery and endearing...not to mention colorful.

But while In Vanda's Room is interesting, somehow I found myself enjoying it considerably less than Colossal Youth, which I watched in one go and wouldn't mind revisiting sometime soon. Both movies are episodic, but CY seems so much more focused and, even if it lacks "plot" in the traditional sense, mantra-like.

If you're curious about this boxset--which I know everyone on this board is--I'd put Colossal Youth in your Netflix queue before In Vanda's Room.

Portuguese Filmmaker, Pedro Costa: still Not Crap.
Daveksvplot
jerry seinfeld
jerry seinfeld

Postby andyman on Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:35 pm

I saw Ossos. I'm still digesting and can't really comment on the characters or intentions, but it kept me interested even with a total dialogue time of ~10 minutes. Grim, but in a slightly beautiful way.
andyman
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Daveksvplot on Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:07 pm

Yeah, Ossos is a pretty good film.

Visually, just in terms of tones and textures, it feels reminiscent of Varda's Vagabond, which is an excellent place for a film to be.

Of what I've seen so far, my favorites by Costa are Colossal Youth and O Sangue (a.k.a. Blood)--those are the ones that really "did it" for me.

DVD Beaver gave a favorable review of Blood which can be found HERE...it's worth looking at for the screengrabs.
Daveksvplot
jerry seinfeld
jerry seinfeld

Postby Blue of Noon on Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:30 am

Holy smokes! This April Pedro Costa will be at my old stomping grounds in Milwaukee, the UWM Union Theater. He'll be there in conjunction with a screening of his recent film, Ne Change Rien, starring actress/singer Jeanne Balibar, who's also the lead in the new Pia Marais movie. Damn! Wish I could make it.

Guys, take your gals to this and thank me later.

Also, I just noticed that someone uploaded the cool little scene in O Sangue which makes good use of the The The song... I need to bust that one out again.
Blue of Noon
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby andyman on Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:07 pm

andyman

Postby Blue of Noon on Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:52 pm

andyman wrote:Image

It's interesting that a lot of underdogs in the independent film world have made mention of the fact that Costa shot Colossal Youth with a simple standard-definition camera without also taking into consideration the fact that he spent a lot of time perfecting the lighting and sound.

Costa started out making "studio" films and he brought a lot of the techniques he used earlier in his career to the new format, and that's one of the main reasons Colossal Youth stands out from typical DV work (which usually has lackluster lighting and sound).

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

Exhibit C:

Exhibit D:
Blue of Noon

Postby andyman on Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:01 pm

haahahahaha

Mostly static camera setups (and of course the celebrated minutes-long tracking shot of Nuno walking with the baby in a trash bag) showing suicidal, baby-selling poor people – not my thing. But it gets better. And the music bit finally comes when Tina blasts a killer live version of Wire’s “Lowdown”, Costa’s problem in hindsight being that her character wouldn’t actually have the access or inclination to obtain Wire bootlegs in the slums of Lisbon. Costa: “Definitely they didn’t all listen to Wire. What was playing all the time was hip hop, rap or Metallica and Pantera, things that I will never put in my films. So I brought the CD first to the community, and I played the track “Lowdown” before the shoot, and everyone who heard it wanted a copy of the CD. After that, they all had CDs of Wire and the Buzzcocks.”
offal wrote:I just want to be able to play bitchin' single-stroke rolls before I die
andyman

Postby Me Again on Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:13 pm

Just noticed these two articles, published today, about Costa's newish feature, Horse Money...

http://filmcomment.com/entry/film-of-th ... orse-money

http://bombmagazine.org/article/5506714/pedro-costa

Read several weeks ago that Second Run (pretty great DVD label in the U.K.) is doing a theatrical release of it. I think that's a first for them, doing a theatrical release.

Anybody seen it yet?
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
the white ho
the white ho

Postby andyman on Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:56 am

His new one, Vitalina Varela, is stunning. Mostly true. Really moving.
offal wrote:I just want to be able to play bitchin' single-stroke rolls before I die
andyman

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:09 pm

andyman wrote:His new one, Vitalina Varela, is stunning. Mostly true. Really moving.

It's the first thing he's done that lives up to its billing. Very nicely assembled.
maintain a healthy foe list
A_Man_Who_Tries
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby Me Again on Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:34 am

Interested in his new one. Have had Horse Money on my computer for ages now, but have yet to make time for it (my loss).

Blood doesn't get enough props. For a debut feature it's got the chiaroscuro thing down to a science.
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
the white ho
the white ho

Return to Crap / Not Crap