Band: INXS

Aussie bullshit
54%
lots of good 80's pop songs and tasteful sax
46%

Total votes : 28

Re: Band: INXS

Postby aldofarian on Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:55 pm

The Hutchence doc Mystify Me is on BBC iPlayer and probably other services. It's great.
I was alive in the 80s but I had no real interest in in Hutchence or INXS' music at the time or now. Back then, Hutchence was just another poster boy for music which I didn't like. I do remember seeing Dogs in Space though on Channel4 and thinking it was pretty ok.

Like the Amy Winehouse film, Mystify Me is a great documentary. It’s main source and strength is not delving into the music or a detailed story arc, it lets his nearest and dearest talk about him and what he meant to them. His family, his manager Marta, Michelle Bennet and Kylie Minogue provide testimony that made me like him. The fax exchanges with Kylie are adorable.

All the stuff about his brain injury was new to me. All the stuff post Kylie/post injury seemed a bit more hardwired to a story arc. Practically all the men presented in the film come across as destructive wankers.

It didn’t change anything I thought about Hutchence’s music but it did remind me that you know relatively little about the celebrities thrust upon you and some are not monsters, they are just shilling a product which you will never get.

Definitely worth watching. Well composed, great footage and, whilst it presents its focus in a generally angelic light, you get a decent presentation of a human being, warts and all.
mort pété
aldofarian
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby Speedie on Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:25 am

Not watched the doco yet, but INXS were unavoidable in my teenz.

"Listen Like Thieves" and "Kick" I have always loved. Great records.
Trey wrote:How great must a thread be to miss such a thing? Beans on the penis great, I suppose.

https://thegreenwhistle.bandcamp.com/releases
Speedie
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Wood Goblin on Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:14 am

I have an irrational hatred of this band. They’re fine. They’re inoffensive. Yet they drive me up the wall.

Crap.
Wood Goblin
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:41 am

I finely figured out why I could never find one of their biggest hits, the one that goes tad-tad-tad-SUI-CIDE BLOND. It only exists in my head - I mixed the guitar from their "I need you tonight", title "Suicide Blond" and dunno, some shouty vocals. They should have recorded that.

INXS - I can't say I care. But since I'm already thinking about them - they were capable of writing some good (or at least stupidly catchy) songs on their own. The one when he goes around Vienna singing "Ohhhh Vienna" is great. JOKES! That's Ultravox, I know that. But the INXS's Vienna-one is fine too.
Last edited by emmanuelle cunt on Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
emmanuelle cunt
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Me Again on Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:38 am

Just listened to "Don't Change" for the first time, not having heard it before. It sounds shockingly like a lot of anthemic, eighties-tinged rock music that would be released today. Like almost note-for-note minus the digital sheen.
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby Redline on Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:22 pm

Good drummer. One of the few 80's guys (besides Bill Bruford) that utilized Roto-Toms and electronics in a non-dick fashion.
Redline
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Speedie on Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:06 pm

emmanuelle cunt wrote:

INXS - I can't say I care. But since I'm already thinking about them - they were capable of writing some good (or at least stupidly catchy) songs on their own. The one when he goes around Vienna singing "Ohhhh Vienna" is great. JOKES! That's Ultravox, I know that. But the INXS's Vienna-one is fine too.

That was Prague Bro.
Trey wrote:How great must a thread be to miss such a thing? Beans on the penis great, I suppose.

https://thegreenwhistle.bandcamp.com/releases
Speedie

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:36 am

Speedie wrote:
emmanuelle cunt wrote:

That was Prague Bro.

HAHAHAHA. I need to spend some evenings watching the videos I remember from early 90's as I'm clearly mixing everything up. Was Guns N' Roses an actual band?
caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
emmanuelle cunt

Postby biscuitdough on Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:50 pm

I never knew this band had long-term, committed fans until I pissed off an old roommate by saying they sucked. He was a bondage nerd of the evangelical type, and now I kind of associate liking this band with being a sex snob.
biscuitdough
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby MRoyce on Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:50 pm

Speedie wrote:
emmanuelle cunt wrote:INXS - I can't say I care. But since I'm already thinking about them - they were capable of writing some good (or at least stupidly catchy) songs on their own. The one when he goes around Vienna singing "Ohhhh Vienna" is great. JOKES! That's Ultravox, I know that. But the INXS's Vienna-one is fine too.

That was Prague Bro.

Who hasn't confused the two crown jewels of the Hapsburg empire at least once in their life? :mrgreen:

The two make for a nice weeklong trip.
MRoyce
barnett newman
barnett newman

Postby estive albino on Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:45 pm

Crap, even worse than Petshop Boys
estive albino
jock
jock

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap