Boss?

Not Crap
90%
Crap
10%

Total votes : 21

Equipment: Boss

Postby Into the Void on Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:16 pm

Their pedals are pretty hit and miss, but I am going to give them a not crap for being affordable, durable, and for the occasional good effect.
Into the Void
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby marco on Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:33 pm

BOSS is undoubtedly the cream of the crap. I have owned 3 of their crap-ass pedals over the years and have hated them all. OC-8 Octave=Offensive Crap. DD-5 Digital Delay=Dripping Diarrhea. DS-1 Distortion=Disgusting Shit. Yes, they can take a physical beating, but the sound they produce is woefully inadequate.
marco
bishop
bishop

Postby horsewhip on Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:28 am

I use a TU-2 and a DD-3. Both aren't the greatest, but they're good enough for live use in the shitty basements and dive bars we play at. One of these days, I'd like to own one of those Maxon true-bypass analog delays and a fancy rack tuner, but I've recently dropped over three grand on new gear, and can't justify dropping four bills on a delay pedal. Boss it is. NOT CRAP.
horsewhip
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby Angus Jung on Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:24 am

I prefer B.U.M. Equipment.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Re: Equipment: Boss

Postby Hiwatt on Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:35 am

wes9 wrote:Their pedals are pretty hit and miss, but I am going to give them a not crap for being affordable, durable, and for the occasional good effect.

Agreed. I am not much for effects, save for the chorus. Boss does indeed make that one right. I have found the tuner to work out OK. The digital delay-well that one kinda sucks.

I have in fact seen/heard worse: Digitech-Crap. DOD-Horseshit. Arion-Delay is OK. Ibanez-ts9 rules, so does thier chorus pedal. I was never a fan of "overdrive", or "distortion" pedals.
I <3 meat hod.
Hiwatt
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby ginandtacos.com on Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:00 pm

Crappy products that fall apart on top of being lame (i.e., Chevrolets) make me really angry. Crappy products that last forever, well, there's a lot more respect in that.

The fact that WE do not happen to find the sound the pedals produce to be pleasing is not relevant. The pedals are cheap and indestructible, so if you enjoy producing the kind of sounds these pedals generate, then Boss is a fantastic company. Because they are giving you their product at a low cost and it's not like you'll need to run out and replace it in 3 months either.

For $30, the DS-1 produces perfectly acceptable distortion for some 15 year old kid in a Rancid cover band. Comparing it to a $250 fender blender or something is pointless. Boss pedals do what they do very well....it just happens that those things are things that I don't care about or enjoy listening to.

Finally, I think labelling all their products as crap is a little too broad. The tu-2 is the finest stage tuner ever made, and several of their discontinued products (EH-2 enhancer, HF-2 hi-band flanger) are highly sought after for a very good reason: they sound good.
ginandtacos.com
wayne thiebaud
wayne thiebaud

Re:

Postby oZZma on Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:29 am

ginandtacos.com wrote:Crappy products that fall apart on top of being lame (i.e., Chevrolets) make me really angry. Crappy products that last forever, well, there's a lot more respect in that.

The fact that WE do not happen to find the sound the pedals produce to be pleasing is not relevant. The pedals are cheap and indestructible, so if you enjoy producing the kind of sounds these pedals generate, then Boss is a fantastic company. Because they are giving you their product at a low cost and it's not like you'll need to run out and replace it in 3 months either.

For $30, the DS-1 produces perfectly acceptable distortion for some 15 year old kid in a Rancid cover band. Comparing it to a $250 fender blender or something is pointless. Boss pedals do what they do very well....it just happens that those things are things that I don't care about or enjoy listening to.

Finally, I think labelling all their products as crap is a little too broad. The tu-2 is the finest stage tuner ever made, and several of their discontinued products (EH-2 enhancer, HF-2 hi-band flanger) are highly sought after for a very good reason: they sound good.

Or the PS-3 pitch shifter/delay has a lot of weird and not so "basic" options for a cheap pedal.
vade retro Santana
oZZma
galloping gourmet
galloping gourmet

Postby jbar on Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:09 am

They make some great stuff, can't argue about the build quality. There are plenty that suck, plenty that don't, and plenty that are just "there."

Ubiquity does not equal uselessness.

I still regret selling my FZ-2. I still don't regret giving away my DS-1. I will never get rid of my DD-6, but I don't use it. I like having it around.

Come to think of it, this is the first time in my life where my main pedal line doesn't have a boss in it. If any of you have the "X-tortion" with bass boat red finish, I'll take it off your hands.
jbar
satan
satan

Postby M.H on Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:56 pm

The utilitarian vibe is a bit of a turn-off (personally), but every time I’ve brought a Boss pedal it’s been a workhorse.

N.C, but I’ll reach for an MXR product more often than not.
M.H
kofi annan
kofi annan

Postby Mason on Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:46 am

If you only use a few pedals, you could probably do better than Boss. (Supposing that's important to you, which it needn't be.)

If you have a bona fide Pedal Board, big isolated power supply and all, and you don't have any Boss pedals, not even the green tremolo or something, get over yourself.
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Dudley on Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:04 am

Mason wrote:If you have a bona fide Pedal Board, big isolated power supply and all, and you don't have any Boss pedals, not even the green tremolo or something, get over yourself.

I don't understand. Why does anyone using a certain number of pedals need a Boss?

I don't have any Boss pedals. Not for any Boss-avoidance reasons, just there was always something cheaper and/or more specifically what I wanted.

I had a LoopStation for a bit. It was fine. Didn't get used much so I sold it to buy something else. Of the three loopers I've had, it was the one I found the hardest to use - its timing just felt hard to master and counter-inuitive.
Seby wrote:How does the sting of marginalisation taste now, you pick-using oppressors?
Dudley
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby oZZma on Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:17 am

Dudley wrote:
Mason wrote:If you have a bona fide Pedal Board, big isolated power supply and all, and you don't have any Boss pedals, not even the green tremolo or something, get over yourself.

I don't understand. Why does anyone using a certain number of pedals need a Boss?

I don't have any Boss pedals. Not for any Boss-avoidance reasons, just there was always something cheaper and/or more specifically what I wanted.

I had a LoopStation for a bit. It was fine. Didn't get used much so I sold it to buy something else. Of the three loopers I've had, it was the one I found the hardest to use - its timing just felt hard to master and counter-inuitive.

I have a boss loop station too! The spaceship Rc-50 :smt005
Totally counter-intuitive, in fact, I haven't been abke to force myself to actually USE it, until now. What are you using instead?
vade retro Santana
oZZma
galloping gourmet
galloping gourmet

Postby Me Again on Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:18 am

Have only got one Boss item, that newer tuner pedal that came out, the TU-3W. It's good. Haven't found time to play much guitar this year, but when I get my pedal board sorted again it'll go on the top row, all the way to the right.

In general, Boss pedals aren't exactly my style, as far as dirt boxes and modulation effects go -- am usually drawn toward more "boutique"/specialized electronics. But they have their place. I had their Chorus and Flanger pedals in high school, and they worked just fine. As with any gear choices, if it works for you, you don't really have explain yourself.
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby Dudley on Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:58 am

oZZma wrote:I have a boss loop station too! The spaceship Rc-50 :smt005
Totally counter-intuitive, in fact, I haven't been abke to force myself to actually USE it, until now. What are you using instead?

Donner Deluxe. Cheap, small, good range of controls (backwards, speed variation) and (to my clumsy feet) incredibly easy to get loops right. Had it about a year. Dunno how sturdy it is, but I love it. Was expecting it to be kinda shitty at that price point, but just wanted to dip my toe back into loops, and didn't want to lay out a lot of money. The Boss killed looping for me.
Seby wrote:How does the sting of marginalisation taste now, you pick-using oppressors?
Dudley

Postby 154 on Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:09 am

Boss is perfect for "well I'll probably only use this tremolo in two songs anyway." That, and boring shit like gates and signal splitters.

Well there's cheaper stuff like Joyo and Behringer but props to Boss for not making landfill-bound junk.
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby numberthirty on Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:20 pm

Dudley wrote:

One guy's take...

Let's say we are talking about this "Anyone" who has a certain number of pedals. Odds are, "Anyone" has some sort of a fuzz pedal that feels like the volume dropped when they switch it on. You throw that pedal into one of the loops of a Boss pedal called the LS-2? Problem solved.

Never mind all of the possibilities that pedal provides "Tone Chaser"-types.

Boss get a "N/C" for the LS-2 alone.

In addition to that, Boss put out the PN-2 before more involved, boutique sort of options were a realistic choice for Joe/Jane Six Pack.

Throw in that they also put out the XT-2 Xtortion during the same period and that a lot of today's "Boutique" options came by way of folks starting out modifying Boss pedals, and it's hard to take a "Crap" vote seriously.

Don't even need to get into that Piggy from Voivod used to used junked DS-1s as switchers because the housing and switch were reliable.

Solid Not Crap.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Return to Crap / Not Crap