Crap

Noah
your an idiot
Noah
"amarillo slim" preston
"amarillo slim" preston

Postby Angry_Dragon on Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:58 pm

CRAP

I hate this band more than I hate that Dexy's Midnight Runners' track.
Better yet, eat the placenta!!!
Angry_Dragon
18th Amendment

Location: Baltimore, Where Murderous Football Players Own Resturaunts

Postby newcopcar on Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:06 pm

I love me some Spacemen 3, but Spiritualized is garbage. The first Sonic Boom/Spectrum record is a much better listen than Spiritualized's Laser Guided Le Crap.
newcopcar
fletcher rabbit
fletcher rabbit

Postby dabrasha on Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:58 pm

Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space is a great record. The rest of their stuff is average/lame.
dabrasha
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby slowriot on Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:02 pm

i got to see them on the 'ladies and gentlemen' tour and i had no idea what i was witnessing. i thought it was pretty good, but didn't discover the greatness of that album until a few years later.

"let it come down" is also an incredible record.

"amazing grace" is not.

NOT CRAP.
slowriot
penguinologist
penguinologist

Postby John W. on Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:09 pm

Pure Phase
Ladies & Gentleman
Live @ Royal Albert Hall
Complete Works Volume 1

Not crap. I saw them live once at the Double Door in the 90s and I liked the show a lot.

The one thing I can't stand? The whole 'Jesus' thing. Fuck that heroin Jesus crap. Was it all because of the one V.U. song, 'Jesus'? Is that where it all started? Or is it because when you're all high on junk you feel the warm glow of Jesus... like you're 'seeing the light'? Or are junkies so fucked up they're calling out to Jesus for help? Whatever the case, that is some tired shit.
John W.
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby joelb on Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:41 pm

NC. Amazing Grace bites, though. They hypnotized me at Metro a few years ago with a horn section and backup singers.
joelb
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby atlantic on Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:14 pm

For a long while they would have been considered my favorite band! Not Crap!
http://www.myspace.com/americangeography

"Get high from drinking blood, not drugs and alcohol!" www.katsunderworldcoven.org
atlantic
frugal gourmet
frugal gourmet

Postby dabrasha on Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:55 pm

John W. wrote:
The one thing I can't stand? The whole 'Jesus' thing. Fuck that heroin Jesus crap. Was it all because of the one V.U. song, 'Jesus'? Is that where it all started? Or is it because when you're all high on junk you feel the warm glow of Jesus... like you're 'seeing the light'? Or are junkies so fucked up they're calling out to Jesus for help? Whatever the case, that is some tired shit.

Don't know the answer to this, but I dig it. As a lapsed Catholic, I find the 'Jesus' (I want to say 'religious') songs on the Spacemen and the Spiritualized records refreshing as hell. I dig songs about cars and girls and alcohol, but whatever Jason Pierce was shooting it turned out some quality, droning lyrics.

There is a newish Spacemen biography out that retails for $35. When it hits the remainder stacks I'll read it and hopefully solve the JC question.
dabrasha

Postby John W. on Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:57 pm

See, to me it just seems like a put on... but that's just me.
John W.

Postby kenoki on Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:02 pm

Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space is a great record. The rest of their stuff is average/lame.

seconded. hey remember when there was that swarm of spiritualized influenced bands in like 1998? never heard of any of them again.
kenoki
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Bradley R. Weissenberger on Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:38 pm

"Do It All Over Again" vaguely reminds me of The Buckinghams' "Kind Of A Drag".

I do not know what any of this means.
Bradley R. Weissenberger
King Of All The Taverns

Postby Cranius on Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:59 pm

This a portrait of my good friend Yoko, but doesn't look much like her.

Spiritualized?.......Meh!
Cranius
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Chapter Two on Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:59 am

They played a very small venue in York (Fibbers) a couple of years ago which was one of the best gigs I've ever attended.

From thread on British (ahem) 'indie' bands
I’m a big fan of Spiritualized. I think Oasis would have like to have shared the massive range of influences that Jason Pierce is drawing on, which includes things from many eras of music and many artists, but they and the myriad bands that followed in their wake do not share this range, and thus draw on a limited range of the very popular bands of the sixties, namely The Beatles, The Stones, The Who, and from the seventies, The Jam. Spiritualized should have filled the place of all this other shit (Oasis and so on). I can’t think of any other band on a major label that I look forward to hearing the output of, but Spiritualized do it for me in a big way.
Chapter Two
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby holmes on Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:12 am

very very fucking overated but not crap.
Here comes another load of joy
holmes
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby The Kid on Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:37 am

Not crap.

I don't listen to the records much anymore, but I saw them a couple years ago in Madison, and they were great. There were less than 100 people there, but they didn't skimp on the lights and smoke machines. Pierce played guitar sitting down. Lots of guitar wankery, no backup singers or horns. I found myself wishing I had some acid.
The Kid
canasta
canasta

Postby madmanmunt on Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:48 am

I really like Ladies and Gentlemen…especially the last track. Saw them at the South Bank Centre and it was like taking off in a UFO with all the whole audience.

But this Jason Pierce, why did he sack all of his perfectly fine band and hire a bunch of anonymous goons who all wear black and play as if the only payment they are going to get after the show is a dry sandwich and a glass of warm beer? And not teach them the songs beforehand? Why does he have to sit down for the whole show, drinking what appears to be herbal tea, wearing SHINY NEW PRADA SNEAKERS. I have never seen a performance that seemed so utterly creatively and spiritually bankrupt as Spiritualized on the Amazing Grace tour.

Seeing him play Oh Baby (which it think is a good song) and the other slow ones was horribly fascinating, like watching a man who has just outright given up, hates himself for it and is just waiting to be put out of his misery.

But it could have just been those shoes that did it for me.

Only Cat Power has him beat for the squirm factor.
madmanmunt
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Chapter Two on Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:09 am

Fuck it, I'm going again. Spiritualized are brilliant. If you see them now you will no longer see the thrown together band that they were around the time of Ladies and Gentlemen, you will see a real, real band play their fucking hearts out. I'm very much looking forward to Jason Pierce's solo shows in the autumn.

October Friday 20th Salisbury Arts Centre 01722 321744 Sunday 22nd Brighton Komedia 01273 647100 Monday 23rd London, Queen Elizabeth Hall 08703 800 400 Tuesday 24th Colchester Arts Centre 01206 500900 Wednesday 25th Leicester, The Y 0116 255 7066 November Wednesday 22nd Kendal, Brewery Arts Centre 01539 725133 Thursday 23rd Gateshead, Sage 0191 443 4661 Friday 24th Manchester, Lowry 0870 787 5796 Saturday 25th Edinburgh, Queen’s Hall 08700 600 100 Tickets are priced at £15, apart from Brighton £14.50, Leicester £14.00 and London £16/£18.50

I'll go a long, long way for a Spiritualized gig.
Chapter Two

Postby slowriot on Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:12 am

dabrasha wrote:There is a newish Spacemen biography out that retails for $35. When it hits the remainder stacks I'll read it and hopefully solve the JC question.

did you ever get this book? i found a copy a few months ago and breezed through it in about a week.

of course, i don't remember if it answered specifically the whole JC thing, but there sure were some interesting annecdotes, good descriptions of shows/tours and tons of substance abuse.
slowriot
penguinologist
penguinologist

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap