Spiritualized?

Crap
24%
Not Crap
76%

Total votes : 90

Postby dabrasha on Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:21 am

slowriot wrote:
dabrasha wrote:There is a newish Spacemen biography out that retails for $35. When it hits the remainder stacks I'll read it and hopefully solve the JC question.

did you ever get this book? i found a copy a few months ago and breezed through it in about a week.

of course, i don't remember if it answered specifically the whole JC thing, but there sure were some interesting annecdotes, good descriptions of shows/tours and tons of substance abuse.

Not yet, but thanks for the reminder - abe.com now has a handful for under $20
dabrasha
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby Chapter Two on Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:50 am

RE: The JC thing.

Okay, I'll happily sound like a wanker for a bit.

A big part of what Spiritualized is all about is the paradox of attaining advanced 'spiritual' states in a godless universe. The Jesus thing is just an extension of that. Identifying yourself with the most pure being, a being of pure love. One that you can touch in higher states of conciousness, but that is just a reflection of your highest ideal. That's why there are so many Spiritualized songs that are essentially a one way dialogue between a very fucked up person and Jesus. Using drugs to get to a broken place in order to get to a better place. Jesus is the archetype that keeps coming up in those states for Jason Pierce, I guess, so that's what keeps happening in the songs.

That's how it seems to me.
Chapter Two
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby Rick Reuschel on Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:27 pm

Chapter Two wrote:Fuck it, I'm going again. Spiritualized are brilliant. If you see them now you will no longer see the thrown together band that they were around the time of Ladies and Gentlemen, you will see a real, real band play their fucking hearts out. I'm very much looking forward to Jason Pierce's solo shows in the autumn.

October Friday 20th Salisbury Arts Centre 01722 321744 Sunday 22nd Brighton Komedia 01273 647100 Monday 23rd London, Queen Elizabeth Hall 08703 800 400 Tuesday 24th Colchester Arts Centre 01206 500900 Wednesday 25th Leicester, The Y 0116 255 7066 November Wednesday 22nd Kendal, Brewery Arts Centre 01539 725133 Thursday 23rd Gateshead, Sage 0191 443 4661 Friday 24th Manchester, Lowry 0870 787 5796 Saturday 25th Edinburgh, Queen’s Hall 08700 600 100 Tickets are priced at £15, apart from Brighton £14.50, Leicester £14.00 and London £16/£18.50

I'll go a long, long way for a Spiritualized gig.

These are solo acoustic? I'd love to hear a copy of any of these shows if possible. Supposed to be a new SPZ record out soon. Amazing Grace is my least favorite but I really like the first two and Ladies and Gentleman... the Royal Albert Hall with the full choir is quite nice if you go for the big production.

I heard a radio interview where he mentioned enough old school blues guys to sufficiently impress me that he has an appreciation for what came before. I am interested to hear what the new record sounds like. My fear is that a smack free Jason is a continuation of Amazing Grace.
Rick Reuschel
jiminy cricket
jiminy cricket

Postby slowriot on Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:36 pm

Rick Reuschel wrote:I heard a radio interview where he mentioned enough old school blues guys to sufficiently impress me that he has an appreciation for what came before. I am interested to hear what the new record sounds like. My fear is that a smack free Jason is a continuation of Amazing Grace.

the book gets into this a little. talks about pete and jason listening to tons of robert johnson records. there were also references to gary davis, howlin' wolf, muddy waters... slightly unrelated, but, i think there's a story about the first time the two of them hung out after school one day they were huffing butane and listening to gun club's "fire of love."

also of course, TONS of sun ra and 13th floor elevators
slowriot
penguinologist
penguinologist

Postby Rick Reuschel on Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:39 pm

I remember reading he had a fairly serious infection of some kind that was not related to his previous hobbies.

What's the book called? I'm having difficulty finding anything.
Rick Reuschel
jiminy cricket
jiminy cricket

Postby Chapter Two on Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:22 pm

The gigs are solo acoustic, although there will be strings and a choir.

He has this solo record out, you know:

J. Spaceman - Guitar Loops.

The book is called Dreamweapon: Spacemen 3 and the Birth of Spiritualized.
Chapter Two

Postby slowriot on Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:28 pm

what label is that record out on?
slowriot
penguinologist
penguinologist

Postby Chapter Two on Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:39 pm

slowriot wrote:what label is that record out on?

Treader.
Chapter Two

Postby Rick Reuschel on Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:53 pm

Thanks for the title. I'll have to order as interlibrary loan is unlikely.

The solo record is astronomically expensive on the website.
Damn that sliding dollar...
Rick Reuschel
jiminy cricket
jiminy cricket

Postby Sebastian J. on Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:41 pm

hmmmmm NOT CRAP !
Sebastian J.
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby glynnisjohns on Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:28 pm

The girl (was?) in the band, her name is Thighpaulsandra.

This moniker fascinates me to no end.

Not crap! Ladies and gentlemen is the only one i've ever really enjoyed.
glynnisjohns
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Chapter Two on Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:22 am

glynnisjohns wrote:The girl (was?) in the band, her name is Thighpaulsandra.

This moniker fascinates me to no end.

Not crap! Ladies and gentlemen is the only one i've ever really enjoyed.

Thighpaulsandra is a fella! It's the chap with the mohican who plays percussion and theramin and stuff.

I'm just going to say one more thing, since I could talk about Spiritualized all day on a Spiritualized forum but I'd rather be here and I'm glad this thread came up again. A lot of people don't seem to like Amazing Grace, which is fair enough. There are some moments on it that I definitely don't think are all that good. But some moments on it are awesome and stand up with the other stuff. I also like the fact that there is a spontaneity to it that is not only a backlash to the massive arrangements on Let It Come Down but also the sign that this is a rock band working together. I guess that's why there was portraits of them all on the sleeve. I expect this to process to continue and that's why I'm really looking forward to hearing the next album. I have faith.
Chapter Two

Postby sleepkid on Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:11 am

Can't believe no one here has mentioned Laser Guided Melodies. To be honest, I actually like that and Pure Phase better than Ladies and Gentlemen... Top drawer.

Brilliant live.

NOT CRAP
sleepkid
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Chapter Two on Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:40 am

This fella has some stuff on his blog you might like. It's Jason Pierce playing at the Daniel Johnston show in April with the same line up he'll have on his forthcoming acoustic shows, i.e., himself, Doggen, strings and choir. Includes his version of True Love Will Find You in The End.
Chapter Two

Postby sleepkid on Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:32 am

Chapter Two wrote:This fella has some stuff on his blog you might like. It's Jason Pierce playing at the Daniel Johnston show in April with the same line up he'll have on his forthcoming acoustic shows, i.e., himself, Doggen, strings and choir. Includes his version of True Love Will Find You in The End.

cheers. good stuff.
sleepkid

Postby yut on Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:15 pm

A lot of my chums are into this stuff, along with Radiohead, etc. Basically, anything British and pretentious (without merit) and MTV accessible. I remember all these same amigos were so into the Polyphonic Spree, and then you never hear it or hear mention of it anymore... As it should be -- crap should vanish off the face of the earth...

I mean, my chum(p)s are so into this band, they even have the Spirtualized coffee mugs. Any band (except Yes) that has coffee mugs can go scratch... At least with Yes, you get some decent Roger Dean artwork. I don't get why anyone would pay $25 for a mug that just has "Spirtualized" glazed on it, unless they are some sort of rube.

I think a lot of my friends are just too lazy to listen to anything but MTV alterna-crap. Heck, I even think Interpol are cool when I watch their videos with their dapper suits... But then I realize that this is their schtick -- the 8th note chop suey...

This tends to be my problem with all of these MTV alternative type bands... They have a strict formula they conform to, which isn't really good in the first place. They have to rely on slick marketing (in the form of music videos) to make an impression. But once you get the record and realize it's just a bunch of chop suey, it's like eating Chinese food in the rural midwest -- Mmmm... catsup & pineapple = sweet and sour...
Last edited by yut on Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yut
happy meal
happy meal

Postby yut on Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:16 pm

Chapter Two wrote:RE: The JC thing.

Okay, I'll happily sound like a wanker for a bit.

A big part of what Spiritualized is all about is the paradox of attaining advanced 'spiritual' states in a godless universe. The Jesus thing is just an extension of that. Identifying yourself with the most pure being, a being of pure love. One that you can touch in higher states of conciousness, but that is just a reflection of your highest ideal. That's why there are so many Spiritualized songs that are essentially a one way dialogue between a very fucked up person and Jesus. Using drugs to get to a broken place in order to get to a better place. Jesus is the archetype that keeps coming up in those states for Jason Pierce, I guess, so that's what keeps happening in the songs.

That's how it seems to me.

Ahhhh... going for the same gimmick as televangelists... Ummm... Not crap...

PSYCHE!

They are so crap...
yut
happy meal
happy meal

Postby Chapter Two on Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:08 pm

Hmm.

Nah.
Chapter Two

Postby Chapter Two on Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:12 pm

yut wrote: Blah blah Polyphonic Spree blah blah Interpol blah blah Idon't know what I'm talking about too much.

Marsupialized wrote:that's because you are an idiot
Chapter Two

Postby yut on Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:49 pm

Chapter Two wrote:Blah blah blah The Cure, Joy Division, Jesus and Mary Chain, smoking cloves, black clothes, I am so unique in my small town, it's your high school, put black into your jeans. 120 minutes blah blah blah that stuff is still so ace, delays, chorus and flanger make up for mediocre musicianship blah blah suits are so cool blah blah no they're like Roxy Music not Joy Divison blah blah blah Eno weino blah blah how can I look like rod stewart blah blah everyone in the rock club blah blah blah the wonderstuff blah blah fine young canibals she drive me crazy
yut
happy meal
happy meal

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap