Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Spiritualized?

Crap
24%
Not Crap
76%

Total votes : 90

Postby Rick Reuschel on Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:55 pm

yut wrote:A lot of my chums are into this stuff, along with Radiohead, etc. Basically, anything British and pretentious (without merit) and MTV accessible. I remember all these same amigos were so into the Polyphonic Spree, and then you never hear it or hear mention of it anymore... As it should be -- crap should vanish off the face of the earth...

I mean, my chum(p)s are so into this band, they even have the Spirtualized coffee mugs. Any band (except Yes) that has coffee mugs can go scratch... At least with Yes, you get some decent Roger Dean artwork. I don't get why anyone would pay $25 for a mug that just has "Spirtualized" glazed on it, unless they are some sort of rube.

I think a lot of my friends are just too lazy to listen to anything but MTV alterna-crap. Heck, I even think Interpol are cool when I watch their videos with their dapper suits... But then I realize that this is their schtick -- the 8th note chop suey...

This tends to be my problem with all of these MTV alternative type bands... They have a strict formula they conform to, which isn't really good in the first place. They have to rely on slick marketing (in the form of music videos) to make an impression. But once you get the record and realize it's just a bunch of chop suey, it's like eating Chinese food in the rural midwest -- Mmmm... catsup & pineapple = sweet and sour...

This is some kind of generic criticism but doesn't seem related to Spiritualized. What about their music don't you like? Not the issue of your friends having no taste.
Rick Reuschel
jiminy cricket
jiminy cricket

Postby yut on Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:06 pm

I think it's kind of bland soul/gospel based brit pop. My criticism is generic, because they are a generic sort of band. They seem to fit into this snug culture of MTV alternative stuff...

I think I was pretty specific about the coffee mug though. That is lame. It just says "Spiritualized" on it. All of my friends have it. They might as well sell 10 packs of pencils with "Spiritualized" on them.

I've heard their stuff and it washes over me in waves of unimpressiveness... They're not terrible but they are not even close to great, or even good for that matter. They are bland and unoriginal. They take a lot from gospel, blues, soul, and really don't run anywhere with it.

If you want to hear some really interesting music with gospel and soul influence, check out Magma.
yut
happy meal
happy meal

Postby sleepkid on Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:49 pm

yut wrote:If you want to hear some really interesting music with gospel and soul influence, check out Magma.

Magma?!?!? Magma sounds like a drunk Luciano Pavarotti gate crashing the love-in between Mahavishnu Orchestra and Gong. . . and soul never enters the equation my friend. A bunch of 7/4 noodling and psuedo-mystical cosmic mumbo jumbo. Do you do a lot of singing along with Magma in that Kobian language or whatever of theirs? And talk about songs that don't go anywhere...

Magma... fookin' hell. Bad enough that you mentioned the coffee mugs with the Roger Dean artwork. (I'll agree with you that buying Spiritualized mugs is crap, but pretty sure this thread was just about their music.)

I think you're approaching Spiritualized in the wrong way really. There's a deliberate minimalism and abstraction to their music, and that's kind of the appeal in addition to the rhythmic trance effects they sometimes make use of. The album "Pure Phase" especially, is an experience and not just a collection of MTV friendly songs. I'm not saying to "turn on, tune in, and drop out" - but if you've got a nice comfortable dimly lit room, and the mellow mind altering substance of your choice, then "Pure Phase" from start to finish is a real pleasure.

I'm not saying Spiritualised is for everyone, but they certainly don't belong in the same category as Interpol or anything on MTV (actually I haven't watched more than a minute of MTV in over 15 years, so don't really know what's going on there, though I've heard it's ghastly.)

Anyway, Spiritualised is one of those bands people either get, or don't. But they're certainly less irritating than Magma. (gahh! those voices! get them out of my head!)

The funny thing is that you could equate some elements of Spirtualized's music with some prog rock bands such as Amon Duul, Popol Vuh (what the hell kind of names are those anyway?) Tangerine Dream, Neu, etc. because certainly in their more spacey moments they sound similar, but you have to realise that the basic approach is different. Whereas most of those bands were searching for cosmic bliss, Spiritualised were searching for drugged out bliss, and in the end it was still about the rock-n-roll.

Probably not my most cohesive argument, but that's my two cents on the matter. . . and please, no more Magma. It really hurts.
sleepkid
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Jodi S. on Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:55 pm

Magma is not crap.

Spiritualized is not crap, WF 7 for that Amazing Grace record that was kinda bad.
Jodi S.
Influential Poster

Location: I am sitting in a room, different from the one you are in.

Postby sleepkid on Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:25 am

burun wrote:Magma is not crap.

Musically they're not my favourite, but I'll go with not crap on that. However, singing in a language you made up? Crap.

...now if you'll excuse me, I'm late for my Esperanto lesson. After that I'll be attending a Klingon choir session.
sleepkid

Postby Christopher_Dragon on Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:02 am

yut wrote:I've heard their stuff and it washes over me in waves of unimpressiveness... They're not terrible but they are not even close to great, or even good for that matter. They are bland and unoriginal. They take a lot from gospel, blues, soul, and really don't run anywhere with it.

I agree.
Almost as boring as Spacemen 3.
CRAP
Bradley R. Weissenberger wrote:Shin guards for all!
Christopher_Dragon
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby rashiedgarrison on Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:31 am

I don't understand what there is about Spiritualised that gets people so excited. CRAP. No waffle.
rashiedgarrison
future member of don caballero
future member of don caballero

Postby Christopher_Dragon on Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:50 am

rashiedgarrison wrote:I don't understand what there is about Spiritualised that gets people so excited.

Heroin, oddly enough
Bradley R. Weissenberger wrote:Shin guards for all!
Christopher_Dragon

Postby Chapter Two on Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:36 am

Christopher_Dragon wrote:Almost as boring as Spacemen 3.
CRAP

Chapter Two
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby Jodi S. on Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:48 am

sleepkid wrote:Musically they're not my favourite, but I'll go with not crap on that. However, singing in a language you made up? Crap.

But making up a language to hide the fact that you're French? Not Crap.
Jodi S.
Influential Poster

Location: I am sitting in a room, different from the one you are in.

Postby yut on Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:22 pm

sleepkid wrote:
burun wrote:Magma is not crap.

Musically they're not my favourite, but I'll go with not crap on that. However, singing in a language you made up? Crap.

...now if you'll excuse me, I'm late for my Esperanto lesson. After that I'll be attending a Klingon choir session.

Yeah.. let's see what Spiritualized is up to in 40 years. They're not even impressive in their young and spry days...
yut
happy meal
happy meal

Postby yut on Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:27 pm

sleepkid wrote:
yut wrote:If you want to hear some really interesting music with gospel and soul influence, check out Magma.

There's a deliberate minimalism and abstraction to their music, and that's kind of the appeal in addition to the rhythmic trance effects they sometimes make use of.

Ah yes... Minimalism or no talent? I would suspect the latter.

When I hear their music (spiritualized), I think -- I have heard so much of this stuff before. It's trite and pedestrian. They rely on very common musical idioms, and they only thing I can think is people like it because it's cool looking British hipsters doing it...

It sounds like Teddy Pendergras and Andre Crouch after they have eaten a fistfull of quaaludes and 5 gallons of generic supermarket "kool-aid" (the premixed stuff in the gallon jugs) and replaced a competant drummer with some trite clubby drum loops and cheesy organ riffs backed up by some lame rattling of the tambourine.
yut
happy meal
happy meal

Postby Chapter Two on Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:36 pm

Yut,

message got. You don't like it. Okay. Thank you for your contribution. Cheers. Have a nice day.

John
Chapter Two

Postby yut on Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:17 pm

sleepkid wrote:

Magma?!?!? Magma sounds like a drunk Luciano Pavarotti gate crashing the love-in between Mahavishnu Orchestra and Gong. . . and soul never enters the equation my friend. A bunch of 7/4 noodling and psuedo-mystical cosmic mumbo jumbo. Do you do a lot of singing along with Magma in that Kobian language or whatever of theirs? And talk about songs that don't go anywhere...

Magma... fookin' hell.

and please, no more Magma. It really hurts.

I am actually thrilled to the gills that you dislike Magma.

By the way, soul does enter in to the equation. They are huge fans of Booker T. and the MG's, and if you have ever seen them live, it is obvious that their stage mannerism is more "soul" than progressive rock.

You don't know Magma at all. If you don't mention Coltrane, Stravinsky, or Orff, it is clear you know very little about them at all...

Gong? Are you serious? Have you actually heard either band, or are you just looking this stuff up on Gnosis and Progressiverockarchives?
yut
happy meal
happy meal

Postby yut on Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:50 pm

Chapter Two wrote:Yut,

message got. You don't like it. Okay. Thank you for your contribution. Cheers. Have a nice day.

John

If it bothers you, simply don't read my posts. Don't act like I am at your front door screaming this stuff at you.

I was asked to elaborate:

Rick Reuschel wrote:This is some kind of generic criticism but doesn't seem related to Spiritualized. What about their music don't you like? Not the issue of your friends having no taste.

Which I did...

I don't know how discussion boards are run in England, but on this side of the pond, we discuss things on them, and people aren't forced to read them.

So I am saying things you don't like about a band you like. Grow up. I don't care if people knock Magma. In fact, I am happy to find die hard Spiritualized fans with a low opinion of the Zeuhl masters.
yut
happy meal
happy meal

Postby John Lydon on Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:14 pm

Magma is fucking brilliant.
John Lydon

Postby yut on Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:11 pm

How about Yes, Johnny? You tormented them so much, they made the not-so-good Tormato album... Oh well, it wasn't just you... It seems everyone gang raped Yes around 1977, because they were an easy target...

I hadn't listened to Spiritualized in a while, so I got out a copy of Ladies & Gentleman a friend had burnt me (I will buy anything I really like that someone burns me. This is something that has been gathering dust).

Um... That first track is pretty much the melody from Pachelbel's Canon in D Major. Maybe Spaceman is on so many drugs that he thought this was a melody of his own invention?

They could have just called this band Radiohead II.

Come Together -- we need lots of effects to spice up what is an exceptionally trite chord progression and an extremely simple song structure. This is my point. This is stuff that I have heard over and over by other bands of this ilk... Not only does nothing much happen within this album, but this is a product of a music scene with rigid aesthetics.

I think I'm in Love -- This almost sounds like it could be the beggining of a Yes epic, apart from is overly thick and over-compressed production. But this is it... This is as far as it goes. A stale fart on a foggy night...

All of my thoughts -- begins like a kindergarten song, then Animal from the muppets throws a tantrum on the drums... Ho hum...

Stay with me -- This again sounds like the begginings of a Yes epic, but goes no where. Nice sitar/guitar (Portugese guitar, perhaps). Throw back to the 70's without any of the talent. Another half-baked piece of music -- an embryo that is aborted by the end of the track.

Electricity -- A rocker of a song with a chord progression and lyrical phrasing that have be done to death. The production is a little more tweaky, but nothing to write home about.

Home of the Brave -- Oh, we are sensitive... This sounds like the launch pad for John Meyer's career. Why do these songs remind me of kindergarten music so much? The trite rhyming lyrics? The repetition? The juvenile piano playing?

The Individual -- farting bagpipes? Someone mentioned the similarities to Amon Duul II, Neu, etc. I don't doubt that there is an influence -- it's just that this subgenre of krauty repetitous progressive rock has never been interesting to me in the slightest.

Broken Heart -- more like "stinky fart". Nice keyboards. I've heard an 18 month old rock the casio better than this.

No God Only Religion -- yeah man... trip out... 1969... The cymbals are annoying. I like cymbals (CV's set is half cymbals) but the production is obnoxious. They actually hurt my ears. Of course, this has Top 40 production values -- excessive program compression to make the loudest CD possible...

As a general note, there is very little use of dynamics (or really many musical parameters) in this music.

Cool Waves -- Ah, Spaceman gets some of the chicks he's banging to sing backup. And they LOVE YOU! More use of the midrange notched vocals. I'm speaking through a walkie talkie from outerspace man... This is like putting ketchup on bad food. When the singer can't really sing, but sort of talk-sings, effects will make things more palatable. This is about as palatable as ketchup n' pinapple sweet n' sour chop suey.

Cop Shoot Cop -- This is their Lovecats... Cornball jazz anyone? This is the kind of thing that they put at the end of the album to convince people that they have "soul". It's not integrated in the music at all, but some sort of aftermarket afterthought.

Specific enough?
yut
happy meal
happy meal

Postby simmo on Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:16 pm

Dude, you is a phat musicologist!

Pachabel is rinsin'!
simmo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby yut on Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:20 pm

Now, if Spaceman used the melody from the Godfather, that would be a different story. A wonderous story...
yut
happy meal
happy meal

Postby Chapter Two on Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:32 pm

I love you and want to have your babies.
Chapter Two

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap