Cherubs?

CRAP
No votes
NOT CRAP
100%

Total votes : 57

Re: Band: Cherubs

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:42 am

It's the soupiness of the sound that does it for me. I'm not familiar with their other records besides Heroin Man, but I like the way it sounds like they had time to nail down a sound in the studio for this one.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

dvockins wrote:Gold hardware means you are number one.
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby GrantMcNeilly on Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:21 am

Is there any word if they're going on tour at all?
TheMilford wrote: We're talking about TV here, not a Slint record or Albert Camus....
GrantMcNeilly
ella fitzgerald
ella fitzgerald

Postby Gary on Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:42 am

Heads up, new Cherubs release soon, Fist in the Air!

http://www.brutalpandarecords.com/produ ... -pre-order
Gary
president bartlett
president bartlett

Postby LBx on Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:56 pm

I'd still just like to stumble upon a copy of Heroin Man in the used bin...

NC!
LBx
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Akbar and Jeff on Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:14 pm

Playing in Brooklyn at the end of April. Doesn't look like there are any more northeast dates.
Akbar and Jeff
ensign
ensign

Postby seriocomicterrorism on Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:53 pm

Cherubs were on fire at the show in Brooklyn last night. Holy fuck. Good crowd too.

Brent beats the shit out of the skins. Broke a snare mid-way through the set. They played a decent amount of 2 Ynfynyty and Heroin Man and some others. Me and my girl slam danced to "Shoofly."

Wish they played more. They looked like they were having a lot of fun out there and it was nice to see.
seriocomicterrorism
jock
jock

Postby night_tools on Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:53 am

LBx wrote:I'd still just like to stumble upon a copy of Heroin Man in the used bin...

NC!

While the lovely vinyl repress of Heroin Man sold out in a second, you can get a CD re-issue for the unbelievable price of $5 + shipping from the AmRep store

https://www.shoxop.com/products/cherubs-heroin-man-cd-reissue

Wish I'd seen that before I paid five times that for an original on eBay...
andteater wrote:My ex wife never appreciated my music, but the men of the PRF do. This is important.
night_tools

Postby night_tools on Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:54 am

...and by all accounts they slayed everyone's faces right off at PRFBBQLOU!!
andteater wrote:My ex wife never appreciated my music, but the men of the PRF do. This is important.
night_tools

Postby 154 on Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:14 pm

They 'slayed' me right out the back door by bumping my friends' band, being pointlessly loud (and boring), and being dicks to us by the merch table ("you're encroaching on OUR table space". haha, how old are you?) CRAP.

I'm happy some of my friends get/got something out of them, though.
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby andteater on Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:01 pm

154 wrote:They 'slayed' me right out the back door by bumping my friends' band, being pointlessly loud (and boring), and being dicks to us by the merch table ("you're encroaching on OUR table space". haha, how old are you?) CRAP.

may be reason to create a new thread for this, but i don't have a problem with a band being pissy about having their timeslot messed with. if you promised the band they would have the Xpm slot, then it is absolutely their right to demand that they get that slot when the show gets started late or gets all screwy due to whatever (that is a complete other topic though)

i still don't understand why we, as performers, don't take more control of shit like this.

*i know that in this case we are talking about a PRF show thing so people are going to be hesitant to lump it in with normal "promoters" but my point still stands*

andyk who went to bed before Cherubs played because I assumed they would be going on much later.
andteater
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby 154 on Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:49 pm

I get that point when it happens on the typical 4 band bill or whatever, but it didn't justify specifically screwing one band because the big band wanted their way (who, by the way, showed up 30 minutes before they thought they were playing.) I don't care that they don't care about this 'community' (*why bands like this are even asked is another topic), but that combined with Merch Table Alpha Male were reasons for me to go outside. Being loudly reminded that they were a B-rate band of their era was another..

(A festival with very fluid start times is not my preferred way of doing things but they were just trying to please many sides so I rolled with it..)
Last edited by 154 on Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby numberthirty on Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:54 pm

154 wrote:They 'slayed' me right out the back door by bumping my friends' band, being pointlessly loud (and boring), and being dicks to us by the merch table ("you're encroaching on OUR table space". haha, how old are you?) CRAP.

Man, I have a guitar store story...
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby sulfur)addict on Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:12 pm

The timeslot thing seems okay, honestly. It's not like Fake Limbs was going to be starved for people at a PRF event, and besides, to Cherubs it was just another gig. They were at work.

But that set, jesus. If you squinted hard enough, you could see a real rock band, but they tried to hide it well enough. They weren't just stupidly loud, there was a metric ton of white noise on top of that loud. More akin to GG Allin than it was to Scratch Acid. The guitarist was a surprisingly tuneful singer, too! Not that you could notice. I learned absolutely nothing about Cherubs' music from watching them play it live.

They were the set I was most looking forward to seeing, and yet they were the worst set of the entire weekend. Mad Anthony's Skyline chili rock was more welcome than seeing Cherubs; at least they had the girls dancing!

I dunno, I adore Heroin Man and I thought 2 Ynfynyty was surprisingly awesome for a reunion album from a mostly forgotten noise rock band - I'm still leaning towards Not Crap. But I'll never go to another gig, I don't see the point in torturing myself further.
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby andteater on Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:46 am

154 wrote:I get that point when it happens on the typical 4 band bill or whatever, but it didn't justify specifically screwing one band because the big band wanted their way (who, by the way, showed up 30 minutes before they thought they were playing.) I don't care that they don't care about this 'community' (*why bands like this are even asked is another topic), but that combined with Merch Table Alpha Male were reasons for me to go outside. Being loudly reminded that they were a B-rate band of their era was another..

(A festival with very fluid start times is not my preferred way of doing things but they were just trying to please many sides so I rolled with it..)

yeah, a lot to unpack here and more for another thread. i think you are going to end up with situations like this when you invite bands that are not necessarily a part of the community, but i also don't fault them for showing up later and expecting to have a fairly straightforward experience. the Merch thing is over the line though.

andyk
andteater

Postby Raa on Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:13 am

Was it the drummer? I bet it was the drummer. White guys with dreadlocks...
Raa
ella fitzgerald
ella fitzgerald

Postby 154 on Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:24 am

I don't know if they kept the same drummer all along but no dreads these days.

Postby atomjackfuser on Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:20 am

atomjackfuser
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby cwendeld on Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:51 am

cwendeld
alderman
alderman

Postby Ranxerox on Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:31 am

154 wrote:I don't know if they kept the same drummer all along but no dreads these days.

Same lineup.
Ranxerox
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby mezhrai-busey on Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:27 pm

Cherubs rule, stoked for the Empty Bottle show coming up. If anyone wants to play some records and drink a few beers before the show send me a pm.
mezhrai-busey
fan
fan

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap