home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Podcast: WTF with Marc Maron

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

wtf is...

crap.
25
20%
not crap.
101
80%
 
Total votes : 126

Re: Podcast: WTF with Marc Maron

Postby Andrew. on Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:32 pm

It's about time Adomian started his own podcast.

I think he's one of the most underrated comedians right now (and for the past several years). His improvised voice impressions on Comedy Bang Bang! and elsewhere (long before Chapo) are gold. Beyond Jesse Ventura and Bernie and Zizek and Gorka, he somehow makes a baked potato like Chris Matthews wickedly funny (while skewering him). I thought the AOC impersonator in episode one was pretty weak though. She did this shrill nasally earnest thing, basically playing it straight for Adomian's wild Matthews impression. The Gorka Ayn Rand episode (comedy writer Heather Anne Campbell) was good though.

Didn't see there's a new ep w him as Maron! Amazing. I've never heard him do Maron.

Back to WTF, which I never checkout unless I'm interested in the guest, the recent Letterman and John Turturro episodes are both great. I'm impressed w how much Maron stayed out of the way w Turturro in particular. There's a thick thread on race and racialization through the Turturro episode rooted in his own upbringing and stuff. He's a very thoughtful, empathetic person.
User avatar
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero
 
Posts: 6727
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 11:02 pm

Re: Podcast: WTF with Marc Maron

Postby Eric Fundingsland on Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:24 pm

Your ninja was supposed to destroy Robocop.
User avatar
Eric Fundingsland
novitiate
novitiate
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:28 pm

Re: Podcast: WTF with Marc Maron

Postby bart favre on Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:47 pm

Came here to say the David Lee Roth episode is definitely worth checking in on. They change topics every 30 seconds, but Diamond Dave has some hilarious takes, and Marc can't get a word in.
User avatar
bart favre
jacques pepin
jacques pepin
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:50 pm
Location: Sonoma County, CA

Re: Podcast: WTF with Marc Maron

Postby eliya on Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:53 am

bart favre wrote:Came here to say the David Lee Roth episode is definitely worth checking in on. They change topics every 30 seconds, but Diamond Dave has some hilarious takes, and Marc can't get a word in.


+1. Marc barely said two sentences that whole episode and David Lee Roth was fascinating to listen to.
User avatar
eliya
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7884
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:37 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Podcast: WTF with Marc Maron

Postby Wood Goblin on Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:45 am

DLR must be maddening to be around for very long, but god is he a great interview. His recall for details boggles my mind.

I love that he became an EMT after his solo career calmed down. The dude always seems to be working on something new.
User avatar
Wood Goblin
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet
 
Posts: 5855
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:43 pm
Location: South Loop, Chicago

Re: Podcast: WTF with Marc Maron

Postby blackmarket on Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:30 pm

Wood Goblin wrote:DLR must be maddening to be around for very long, but god is he a great interview. His recall for details boggles my mind.


Oh my gawd, he was insufferable in that interview. I barely made it through.
User avatar
blackmarket
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants
 
Posts: 1306
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:14 pm

Re: Podcast: WTF with Marc Maron

Postby yard barf on Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:44 pm

blackmarket wrote:
Wood Goblin wrote:DLR must be maddening to be around for very long, but god is he a great interview. His recall for details boggles my mind.


Oh my gawd, he was insufferable in that interview. I barely made it through.


"Insufferable" was the same word that came to my mind. I couldn't make it through the interview.

I can't believe he became an EMT and worked in The Bronx. That's really cool.
User avatar
yard barf
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight
 
Posts: 1376
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:46 pm
Location: beside the point

Re: Podcast: WTF with Marc Maron

Postby Frank Decent on Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:40 pm

I can't stand marc maron. I can't stand dlr. I find them both more irritating than entertaining, which sucks because I'm not against wacky goofballs, in general. I respect he became a DMT. I can't decide if I should listen to the interview.
User avatar
Frank Decent
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
 
Posts: 5272
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:04 pm
Location: Canaduh

Re: Podcast: WTF with Marc Maron

Postby Angus Jung on Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:57 am

DLR was great - I highly recommend this ep.

Am I dreaming or is there somebody online who posts the exact time stamp of when Maron stops talking about himself and starts the actual interview? If so, please share a link of the saint who does this.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9170
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:04 pm
Location: High Desert

Re: Podcast: WTF with Marc Maron

Postby Ike on Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:12 am

Angus Jung wrote:DLR was great - I highly recommend this ep.

Am I dreaming or is there somebody online who posts the exact time stamp of when Maron stops talking about himself and starts the actual interview? If so, please share a link of the saint who does this.



Tree sends me a message every Monday and Thursday morning with the time stamp. I'd gladly send it on to you via FB messenger is you'd like!
Ike
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt
 
Posts: 1917
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:33 pm
Location: Kalamazoo, MI

Re: Podcast: WTF with Marc Maron

Postby Angus Jung on Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:52 am

Ike wrote:
Angus Jung wrote:DLR was great - I highly recommend this ep.

Am I dreaming or is there somebody online who posts the exact time stamp of when Maron stops talking about himself and starts the actual interview? If so, please share a link of the saint who does this.



Tree sends me a message every Monday and Thursday morning with the time stamp. I'd gladly send it on to you via FB messenger is you'd like!

FM Tree is in fact a saint, so that doesn't surprise me.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9170
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:04 pm
Location: High Desert

Re: Podcast: WTF with Marc Maron

Postby Tree on Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:06 pm

Angus Jung wrote:
Ike wrote:
Angus Jung wrote:DLR was great - I highly recommend this ep.

Am I dreaming or is there somebody online who posts the exact time stamp of when Maron stops talking about himself and starts the actual interview? If so, please share a link of the saint who does this.



Tree sends me a message every Monday and Thursday morning with the time stamp. I'd gladly send it on to you via FB messenger is you'd like!

FM Tree is in fact a saint, so that doesn't surprise me.

That time stamp is the beginning of the guitar interlude, not the start of the actual interview, so let’s not canonize me just yet.
Beat is for Sonny Bono, beat is for Yoko Ono
User avatar
Tree
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
 
Posts: 3223
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Northern Colorado

Re: Podcast: WTF with Marc Maron

Postby Andrew. on Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:26 pm

Tree wrote:
Angus Jung wrote:
Ike wrote:
Angus Jung wrote:DLR was great - I highly recommend this ep.

Am I dreaming or is there somebody online who posts the exact time stamp of when Maron stops talking about himself and starts the actual interview? If so, please share a link of the saint who does this.



Tree sends me a message every Monday and Thursday morning with the time stamp. I'd gladly send it on to you via FB messenger is you'd like!

FM Tree is in fact a saint, so that doesn't surprise me.

That time stamp is the beginning of the guitar interlude, not the start of the actual interview, so let’s not canonize me just yet.


Start a Twitter account that posts this. It will get a million followers.
User avatar
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero
 
Posts: 6727
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 11:02 pm

Re: Podcast: WTF with Marc Maron

Postby goatlord on Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:38 am

Image
YES YES YES YES RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD When in doubt, treat it as a record. Call your Records - Horse_ebooks
User avatar
goatlord
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
 
Posts: 3174
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:12 am
Location: A shitty corner of spain.

Re: Podcast: WTF with Marc Maron

Postby Andrew. on Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:06 pm

This is the best commentary I've seen from Maron in years fwiw.

‘There’s plenty of people being funny right now. Not only being funny but being really fucking funny. There are still lines to be rode. If you like to ride a line, you can still ride a line. If you want to take chances, you can still take chances.

‘Really, the only thing that’s off the table, culturally, at this juncture –and not even entirely – is shamelessly punching down for the sheer joy of hurting people. For the sheer excitement and laughter that some people get from causing people pain, from making people uncomfortable, from making people feel excluded. You know, that excitement.’

‘If you’re too intimidated to try to do comedy that is deep or provocative, or even a little controversial, without hurting people, then you’re not good at what you do. Or maybe you’re just insensitive.

‘Bottom line is no one is saying you can’t say things or do things. It’s just that it’s going to be received a certain way by certain people and you’re gonna have to shoulder that.’

‘If you’re isolated or marginalised or pushed into a corner because of your point of view or what you have to say, yet you still have a crew of people that enjoy it, there you go! Those are your people. Enjoy your people,’


https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2019/10/ ... good_at_it?
User avatar
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero
 
Posts: 6727
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 11:02 pm

Re: Podcast: WTF with Marc Maron

Postby seanurban on Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:26 pm

If he's not willing to name names (either for or against), then all he's saying is "comedy is subjective."
User avatar
seanurban
King High
 
Posts: 4892
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:22 pm

Re: Podcast: WTF with Marc Maron

Postby Andrew. on Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:12 am

seanurban wrote:If he's not willing to name names (either for or against), then all he's saying is "comedy is subjective."




Btw: that's literally *not* all he's saying if you can read the words he's saying. I won't bother to explain why, bc his statement is perfectly concise on its own and requires no elaboration (he's also responding directly to Todd Phillips' comment that comedy has been ruined by the politically correct brigades).
User avatar
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero
 
Posts: 6727
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 11:02 pm

Re: Podcast: WTF with Marc Maron

Postby eliya on Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:28 pm

seanurban wrote:If he's not willing to name names (either for or against), then all he's saying is "comedy is subjective."


Lol, what? What he's saying is very specific and in response to what people (Todd Philips and comedians) said about "PC culture".
User avatar
eliya
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7884
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:37 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Podcast: WTF with Marc Maron

Postby numberthirty on Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:33 pm

Without trying to say who is right and who is wrong, every piece of coverage I have seen on "Comics" sites frames his comment as a direct response to Phillips.

Could be that it's not the case, but it would be a misconception that has been repeated often and with almost zero variation.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
User avatar
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 20443
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:28 am

Re: Podcast: WTF with Marc Maron

Postby seanurban on Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:51 pm

Todd needs to give examples and clarify his position too. I want to know who they are talking about.
User avatar
seanurban
King High
 
Posts: 4892
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:22 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 6 guests

cron